Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAmbassador-class Variant

new_purplenew_purple112 Posts: 62Member
edited December 2021 in Work in Progress #1
Did an Ambassador-class mess years ago, when I had an educational license to 3DS Max. Tried to learn Blender when it expired...failed utterly. But more recently I gave Blender another go, and was surprised I was able to actually pick it up this time. After I did the Starbase Waystation mesh, I started working on an Ambassador-class.

Although I started trying to follow any online reference images very carefully, I realized there were some things I didn't like and changes I wanted to make. Haven't gotten to most of them yet, as you can see from the images the mesh is still in a very WIP state.
  • The L-shaped Ambassador pylons. Wanted to try something a bit less clunky. These ones are almost the same shape, just angled.
  • Saucer deflector grid. Studio models were so busy, with a very small grid. I'm going to do something closer to the Constitution/Excelsior-class shield grids.
  • Secondary hull deflector grid & clours. Why does the shield grid look painted on?
  • Bridge module. Should have conference room and ready room visible at some point.
  • Although I did update the nacelles and a few other items to the newer studio model version, I'm not adding the lower shuttlebay.

My excuse for deviating is that this particular ship is, like Starbase Waystation, from a fan-fic series. And it had several repairs, refits, even a full rebuild. So that's my excuse for taking liberties.

Edit:Added updated image for forum listing thumbnail.
jfire1l15oib.png

j9lq2zto2jd4.png
8doxcms5nm9h.png
4mt6mk52gdr5.png
etdu48gwd45r.png
de1kmegz1rqz.png
Post edited by new_purple on
rojrenashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryProviFXcount23Lizzy777JES
Tagged:

• Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Very nice, especially the canted pylons. Looks more graceful than the original.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Welcome!

the pylons definitely do make a difference, it's closer to the Probert C. My only gripe and this isn't your design personally but you have the chance to fix it. The bussards should be completely clear of the saucer, that's what throws the front view off to me.

also, regarding your deflector grids, if you take a look at Rick Sternbach's original C blueprint, you can see the grid pattern he designed which is exactly what you were after, the Constitution/Excelsior style.

Keep it up, can't wait to see it finished.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • new_purplenew_purple112 Posts: 62Member
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the Probert concept. It works far better with regards to showing the evolution from Excelsior to Galaxy-class, but it has some...very strange shapes that I'm not sure I like. I know the final Ambassador design was a result of the Probert design being too expensive and complex to build on a TV budget, and it certainly shows in some ways. (But I still love it!)

I did try moving the nacelles down, as you suggested. I'm not sure how I feel about the look. I definitely don't like having the entire nacelle below the saucer rim, but maybe having the red portion of the collector visible...? I know the Yamugachi model had the nacelles moved WAY down before it was sold at auction, and I don't care for that look at all.

r8bd18aewt12.png
    llua8e1mesir.png
    Lizzy777JES
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    I think that having the nacelles/pylons positioned just low enough to give the bussard collectors complete clearance is a good compromise. Honestly, I think that this looks better than the original. The 90 degree nacelle pylons just go too high, and don't look structurally sound or aesthetically pleasing IMO.
    Yea, that's a lot better, as long as the red part has clear line of sight, it doesn't matter if the top of the nacelles don't. Just looks stylistic instead of just haphazard. Nice.

right now with the nacelles so close to the end of the bend it has very galaxy lineage, but being raised above the lateral line of the nacelle like that at an angle still screams excelsior, so your variant is now looking like a good clear progression from Excel to Galaxy.

And you're right, too low is not good, that was done apparently as the Yama model was damaged prior to auction, it's nacelles were high for the Emissary appearance.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    I agree, much better pylons.
    Maybe here? The red part of the collector is below the saucer 'rim'...part of it is still behind the lower part of the saucer, but I'd have to move it a LOT to get clear of that.

cqfiqp199jwb.png
    Lizzy777
    fjz1pfa3wgaa.png

Barely spent any time on this lately, but I did learn how to have the glow effect applied only to the nacelle grills. Added some details on the pylons.

Another change I plan to make is that I'm putting two rows of windows on the saucer perimeter. Never really noticed it, but Constitution, Excelsior, Galaxy, Miranda...most of the 'main' ship classes have two rows. Only the Ambassador and the NX-01 have a single row...and for the Ambassador it doesn't make any sense. (Unless you're building a physical model in a hurry and on a budget and want to cut corners?)
    RekkertLizzy777
    Trying to figure out a more modernized navigational deflector...the dish in the middle isn't finished, I'm trying to figure out the outer area. The part that was the only component of the nav deflector on the original model.

Also introduced a curve to the front of the neck, instead of sharp corners.

cp6q72793yii.png
    f0en51wlmjus.png
    g9a63x8h77it.png
    bp3xp7ad7pkc.png
    sijiwmqspi9j.png
    Lizzy777
  • billtfargobilltfargo332 Posts: 6Member
    Personally, I like the fourth one (darker outer ring, blue ring, brownish ring, blue ring/dish). To me, the unlit one is too dark, and the others just don't quite feel right to me. Of course, my opinion matters non, as this is your wonderful project.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    1st or 4th one.
    From comments here (and a few other places), these appeared to be the popular options:

uhqfcm19xqut.png
    ih9se0hadvw0.png

Also tried it with the copper-coloured backing, as that fits more with TNG, I think...

hy2db2xkyzb9.png

The feedback I got from some friends was they thought the version with the dark grey backing looked better, but the version with the glowing blue backing was closer to the original model.

Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I like the middle version above
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    3rd one
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    I do like this a lot better than the original. And I like the 2nd one
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    The third one
    Is there any benefit in giving some 'lift' to the dark blue areas of the saucer? We see
    so much of this sort of thing on the newer ship classes...if they'd had the budget to be more creative with the Ambassador, could this have been a thing?

I really don't know if I like it or not...

oj3ibl20wewi.png
    Lizzy777
    For the Amby? no, i think leave them as just painted detail and draw shield lines around the perimeter.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Maybe if you make it more subtle?
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Maybe if you make it more subtle?

Yeah, I think I'll experiment a bit more.
    count23 wrote: »
    For the Amby? no, i think leave them as just painted detail and draw shield lines around the perimeter.

Doing this section raised would make the shield lines more difficult. One reason why I may abandon the idea entirely.

But I am enjoying playing around with different ideas...
    Yeah this era and the early TNG was very smooth hulls. We didn't get the raised hull portions until the Ent-E. It's a neat idea though.
    Speaking of experiments, this is roughly what I have in mind for the impulse engines. Again, staying very similar to the original design, I just think for a ship this size it needs to be...beefier. Not to the extent of "Enterprise-B extra saucer engines" (though I really like those). But something bigger than the canon version.

tvzx9e4abiiq.png
    Lizzy777
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    new_purple wrote: »
    Speaking of experiments, this is roughly what I have in mind for the impulse engines. Again, staying very similar to the original design, I just think for a ship this size it needs to be...beefier. Not to the extent of "Enterprise-B extra saucer engines" (though I really like those). But something bigger than the canon version.
    While we're on the subject of experimentation...

This may be a radical idea (and would definitely change the look and feel from the canon version), but one idea I always liked is maybe integrating the impulse engines into the "saucer rim", rather than being on top of or plastered onto the back end which most versions are.

My edit (red boxes)
    8sl0jw6le16x.png
    Lizzy777
    new_purple wrote: »
    While we're on the subject of experimentation...

This may be a radical idea (and would definitely change the look and feel from the canon version), but one idea I always liked is maybe integrating the impulse engines into the "saucer rim", rather than being on top of or plastered onto the back end which most versions are.

My edit (red boxes)
    8sl0jw6le16x.png

The thought did occur to me. I think given the impulse engine layouts of the Excelsior-refit and Galaxy class ships, the small, puny little impulse engine on the Ambassador neck *should* have been augmented with saucer impulse engines.

One other thought that occurred to me was that instead of adding full saucer engines, it might makes sense to beef up the aft saucer maneuvering thrusters. Every other class of ship gives the saucer impulse engines for separated flight mode...Ambassador should have *something*...
    Lizzy777
    Hmm. I don't think I like this look. But it was worth trying out...
    da8vmsgzb8ua.png
    8tb1qn9y15i4.png
    330ytbw8adlc.png
    Lizzy777
    Yea, not bad, kinda aligns with the style i was thinking of for how they'd look. I'd be borrowing inspiration from the galaxy class for their shape and how they embed into the saucer.

The other approach to try is from the original probert concept which had the Ambassador's saucer engine in the same place as the excelsior class, you can kinda see it in the shape of the neck where it meets the saucer.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    edited September 2021 #28
    I like your work and modifications so far, and I think the saucer impulse engines work here MUCH better than on the Excelsior Refit class. I have a thought re: the Bussard collectors; I was never really sold on them being red. Made sense for an NTSC show where you couldn't see stuff well, but it seems like... kinda...weird... in detail. I think some sort of black grid/intake thing makes more sense... perhaps with a subtle diffuse red glow of ionized hydrogen somewhere inside the works... and re: warp drives in general, I don't think it makes sense to have the warp coils always lit, unless what we are trying to establish is that the Ambassador/Galaxy class achieve any impulse speed at all, by always having a low level warp field to help "lower" the mass of the ship.

But otherwise great work.

Oh and one last thing. Since what made it onto the screen was basically Sternbach bashing together the general impression of the Probert design with basic shapes, no need to apologize or need to justify it not being screen accurate.

I don't think that makes much sense at all except for the Connie refit and the non-refit Excelsior as those are based on highly detailed studio models (and even then, just change the name of the ship and modify as you like, hell ILM did it.)
    Post edited by johnl2112 on
    I like the idea of some saucer impulse engines, but maybe more integrated into the hull a bit? Maybe they only fire up in the case of saucer separation or other emergencies?
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    I like your work and modifications so far, and I think the saucer impulse engines work here MUCH better than on the Excelsior Refit class. I have a thought re: the Bussard collectors; I was never really sold on them being red. Made sense for an NTSC show where you couldn't see stuff well, but it seems like... kinda...weird... in detail. I think some sort of black grid/intake thing makes more sense... perhaps with a subtle diffuse red glow of ionized hydrogen somewhere inside the works... and re: warp drives in general, I don't think it makes sense to have the warp coils always lit, unless what we are trying to establish is that the Ambassador/Galaxy class achieve any impulse speed at all, by always having a low level warp field to help "lower" the mass of the ship.

But otherwise great work.

Oh and one last thing. Since what made it onto the screen was basically Sternbach bashing together the general impression of the Probert design with basic shapes, no need to apologize or need to justify it not being screen accurate.

I don't think that makes much sense at all except for the Connie refit and the non-refit Excelsior as those are based on highly detailed studio models (and even then, just change the name of the ship and modify as you like, hell ILM did it.)

Thank you. :)

You're right that the Bussard collectors being red don't make much scientific sense...I think the in-universe explanation for the glowing nacelle grills was that the warp core was still providing energy for the ship, and any excess plasma had to be vented. But I'll admit, the main reason I keep them glowing is because it looks cool. :grin:
    I like the idea of some saucer impulse engines, but maybe more integrated into the hull a bit? Maybe they only fire up in the case of saucer separation or other emergencies?

Yeah, the TNG Technical manual basically said the Galaxy saucer engines were only used when separated, or when certain levels of acceleration were required. One of the problems I'm running into is that the position of the warp nacelles limits where I can put saucer engines...unless they're only used when separated. Doing Probert/Excelsior style engines would look strange, I think.

Beefing up the after maneuvering thrusters might still be an option, when I get to that point. Or maybe have the saucer impulse drive hidden by the 'neck', and only visible after separation. Sounds like a fairly big design flaw, if someone turned it on at the wrong time. :pensive:

I may move on to other parts of the model and come back to this one later.
    Did some work on saucer details, as well as saucer separation systems. OK, yes, I know the Galaxy-class was the first to be able to reconnect without a starbase. And I realize the plan for TNG was for that to be a more routine thing, but that didn't really translate onto the screen. Keeping that in mind, here's my thinking:
    • The Ambassador-class could originally disconnect, but as with previous classes needed a starbase for re-connection.
    • The interface between the neck and the saucer spans many decks of the lower saucer, compared to other ship classes.
    • In my mind, this means that aside from turbolift connections, there are probably corridors with airlocks or blast doors that make it abundantly clear you're walking between sections. (Probably part of the evacuation route from one to the other.) This is partly why I put the big, blocky piece that fits into the lower part of the saucer.
    • In general, I think it's reasonable that over the decades, the Ambassador-class was refit to be able to re-connect on its own...but it would look clunkier and less streamlined than the Galaxy-class. (That specifically happened to this ship in the stories, after an explosive-bolt-flavoured emergency separation.)
    • Even though the ship is upgraded for re-connection, it's not meant to be routine, as with the Galaxy. Galaxy-class can reconnect in five minutes...upgraded Ambassador would probably take...I dunno...an hour? Five?
    • No idea if there's a battle bridge in that aft...bump? Never mentioned it in the stories. Maybe added with the upgrade...
    • More details to add...maybe just a texture. Turbolift shafts, conduits...grab plates and sockets? Or just slots for latches? Not sure

I'm probably overthinking this. I don't actually plan to do anything with the model separated. Just felt this was the time to have at least something modeled...

mbg9ri78zkw6.png
    d4bplh4nfail.png
    hj72y18udmpq.png
    Lizzy777