Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Nova Class

lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
edited May 2021 in Work in Progress #1
I've wanted to do one of these since before I could model, so here we go. I'm aiming to correct a lot of the 'wobblyness' in the production mesh (which is VERY wobbly in places) so I'm allowing myself some freedom on the detailing.

Thumbnail
cffx9ppl30ya.png

jxakwu6awwwk.png
jjikyohqv9oy.png
0qivuk6wrfa3.png

Post edited by lewisniven on
Rekkertlennier1Lizzy777BolianAdmiralashleytingerWarp Propulsion Laboratorykadenomnipotentdarkthunderpubliusrand 3 others.
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Off to a solid start!
    lewisniven
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Always loved this little ship. Are you going to do the refit too?
    lewisniven
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Cool little ship.

Great start.
    lewisniven
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    yey a thread!

/me pulls up a chair and brings the popcorn*
    lewisniven
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very good start.
    Is the 1701-D ready?
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Always loved this little ship. Are you going to do the refit too?

I don't plan to but I guess I wouldn't be that hard as it's just bits stuck on.

trekki wrote: »
    Very good start.
    Is the 1701-D ready?

Lol, define 'ready'. It's 99% complete, it's a model I could tinker with forever I think.
  • MikeFinleyMusicMikeFinleyMusic172 Posts: 60Member
    Looks amazing. I've tried it a couple of times and it's something that looks like it'd be easy but is actually pretty ridiculous
    lewisniven
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Looking good! The Nova's always been one of those designs that I love at first glance but all the small issues it had due to the bad CG made me not like it as much lol, so a "corrected" version sounds awesome!
    darkthunderlewisniven
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BridgerBridger341 Posts: 22Member
    Very Nice!
    lewisniven
    Looks amazing. I've tried it a couple of times and it's something that looks like it'd be easy but is actually pretty ridiculous

Yeah it's a bit of an ordeal for sure, getting the poly flow to be smooth has been a challenge!
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Looking good! The Nova's always been one of those designs that I love at first glance but all the small issues it had due to the bad CG made me not like it as much lol, so a "corrected" version sounds awesome!

Same, everyone time I look at the production mesh I cant help but spot all the wobbles.
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    edited April 2021 #12
    lewisniven wrote: »

Yeah it's a bit of an ordeal for sure, getting the poly flow to be smooth has been a challenge!

Same, everyone time I look at the production mesh I cant help but spot all the wobbles.
    squinting or walking far from the monitor helps :D

Post edited by omnipotent on
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    This is what Defiant should have been...with on-screen Defiant itself inlaid into an enormous saucer as a battle section
    lewisniven
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Nice start!
    lewisniven
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Beautiful!
    I'm sure Rick Sternbach would be proud.
    lewisniven
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    nice, love the nova class for some reason... its an awkward design... its like they said make us something similar to voyager... but no way near as cool... (cant have it outshining the hero ship)... but still really interesting design...

You've made a good start.. Not to sound like a broken record but could we get some wireframe renders?? while your at the early stages.... i love seeing other peoples geometry... then going back to my wips and fixing the horrendous geometry ive done lol..
    lewisniven
    Not much in the way of updates, just fleshing some details out:

2t9bir2k7jds.png

Some wires for @markmassey too ;). I don't profess to be a master of poly-flow but this is working for me so far. I've not frozen the subd for the hull in yet so that'll get a bit more tweaking but this shows the rough idea.

hqnzhs2uut1c.png
    qb9gaa4ahedz.png
    39s4ub2sz85c.png
    4qcm9w8e23md.png
    omnipotentBolianAdmiralLizzy777RekkertWarp Propulsion LaboratoryJESFreak
    Here's the cage for those that are interested:

jzsr9ta6kfci.png
    46puvr7t0ci6.png
    omnipotentBolianAdmiralLizzy777ashleytingerRekkertWarp Propulsion LaboratoryraztovJESFreak
    thanks for doing those mate, you're a gent.. :)
    Mainly working on getting some blended nacelle struts in today;

nxj93391yfho.png
    2s92y4z9lqgk.png
    omnipotentRekkertashleytingerLizzy777BolianAdmiralJES
    I have to apolagise for what i'm about to say... but the paneling you've put on the underside reminds me of a cats arse :/ (it could just be an unfortunate angle) lol

But so I don't just end with that... the detailing you've done on the spine and bridge looks great..........
    markmassey wrote: »
    I have to apolagise for what i'm about to say... but the paneling you've put on the underside reminds me of a cats arse :/ (it could just be an unfortunate angle) lol

But so I don't just end with that... the detailing you've done on the spine and bridge looks great..........

Well that's this ship ruined then, I'll never un-see that! =)

Spent a long time today tweaking the shape, and re-checking the saucer curve to make sure everything will line up.

yq8tc46g86hx.png
    x57jc2totuef.png
    omnipotentBolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertLizzy777raztovJESFreakAel's
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I’ve always absolutely adored the Nova.
    I’ve always absolutely adored the Nova.

Yeah it's a great design, nice and compact with great proportions.
    BolianAdmiral
    I'm so glad you saw the funny side of that..... i woke up last night at 3 in the morning thinking holy crap what if that came across as me sounding like an £$%^.........
    markmassey wrote: »
    I'm so glad you saw the funny side of that..... i woke up last night at 3 in the morning thinking holy crap what if that came across as me sounding like an £$%^.........

Haha not at all, all good here!

47ulca3drqna.png

lennier1Warp Propulsion LaboratorykadenashleytingerRekkertLizzy777psCargileBolianAdmiralomnipotentdarkthunderand 4 others.
    edited May 2021 #27
    Nacelle strut detailing today, and also a switch to ACES colour space.

841u9zkqif0g.png

g4dc7u61sjpx.png

ashleytingerRekkertMadKoiFishraztovLizzy777BolianAdmiralJESFreakwibbleAel's
    First rough interior that I'll use as a texture for the room boxes behind the windows.

96jfb6369l7l.png
    RekkertMadKoiFishLizzy777BolianAdmiralJESFreak
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Great progress! The changed geometry of the saucer is now a lot more noticeable with the escape pods in place. I also like the hatch you added above the shuttlebay.
    lewisniven
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Love those interiors.. the detailing on the pylons looks really great too....
    lewisniven
    edited May 2021 #31
    Great progress! The changed geometry of the saucer is now a lot more noticeable with the escape pods in place. I also like the hatch you added above the shuttlebay.

Thanks, its a big ol' blank space on the canon model and given that type-6 shuttle only JUST fits through the shuttlebay doors I figured a hatch for bigger stuff would be useful. I'm not 100% sold on it ye, I might re-work it a bit but I like the concept.

More progress today, some windows cut, plus extra nacelle work;

if8659plnnhg.png
    ez7ripbkbz4t.png
    5yixd3k4zv5l.png

Also the 'canon' deflector on the Nova looks a bit under-baked in my opinion so I started riffing my own. I may play with doing something more integrated as per the intrepid class/original concept too, there's some exploration to be done here I think.

4pg7qmsdqw20.png

Also, more or less finished interiors;

lcpsigjz65kx.png
    ecrtwfelegir.png
    0lyxv92t4l4d.png

kadenashleytingerBolianAdmiralraztovAtolmWarp Propulsion LaboratoryJESFreakwibbleAel's