Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited February 2021 #3182
    I agree that the trinkets should reflect the Captain, and here the logic was that this particular CO is an amateur historian of early human space travel, hence why all the trinkets go from the 50's with the little rocket ship all the way to the big painting of the Phoenix rising from Earth. The only "ship specific" trinket is the sword, and on the Enterprise-D ready room we saw something similar with the large ship painting, which was the same even when Jellico was Captain.

Also, on the specific point of Potemkin, keep in mind the Captain's quarters are literally one door away from the ready room, so the most personal stuff (pics of family and all that) would be kept there. Kinda like how I envision a personal study would be if I'd have a room at home that's only for work, if that makes sense. Obviously that would vary from person to person.

@richiewilch: Regarding the Excelsior bridge, yeah there's no way to make it fit. To me it's more excusable if it's just the bridge and lounge on the top level, but I can see it either way, I just prefer this layout for Potemkin. I have a concept for the obs lounge already in development, and it doesn't fit at all inside the model, but I kinda don't care because there's NO WAY to make anything fit in there anyway.

@BolianAdmiral: lol, well then those Soviet trinkets could be reused, glad I saved the Sputnik one (not that a sphere with 4 sticks would be hard to redo). :p

As for the paintings, if it's a large painting like the Phoenix one, then yes a somewhat high resolution is a must, otherwise it'd just look pixelated. For smaller stuff or framed pictures, lower quality ones could work but they aren't ideal. Then there's also the matter of permission, some modelers don't care but I'd rather have permission to use the images (or check the licence), plus I credit the original artist on my website.

In regards to photographs of real paintings (rather than digital ones) then it has to be head on, as perfectly square as possible, otherwise yeah I'd have to digitally adjust the image on GIMP and it never looks as good as it could otherwise.

This is the original file for the Phoenix painting, as an example of the size used:
    StarTrekPhoe_11x14_150dpi_original.jpg

Thanks for the feedback @Captain Serek, @DoctorShmullus and @scifieric, I'm glad you like how it turned out! Hopefully later today or tomorrow I'll be able to do the final renders for the ready room.
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    BolianAdmiralDoctorShmullussolaremesCaptain SerekFreak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Thanks for explaining about the paintings. I have a couple in mind for future commissions, but thankfully they’re all high-res source images.
    Rekkert
    Here are the finished renders, enjoy!

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1614217597
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1614217519
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1614217528
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1614217537
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1614217545
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1614217555
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-potemkin-ready-room-cutaway.jpg?1614217564
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777raztovDoctorShmullusJMP11Captain SerekFreakLeoBerlinsolaremes
    This may be my favorite of all the sets you’ve ever done. Nice job. 😊
    Rekkert
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    This is so awesome. With some minor changes I can see this as the ready room I need for the Endeavour. Beautiful design my friend! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
  • DoctorShmullusDoctorShmullus54 Posts: 37Member
    Amazing work! The ready room turned out fantastic and yet again you’ve managed to create a set that could’ve been in a episode of the classic series.

I cannot wait for what personal project you decide to undertake next, they are my favorite after all.
    Rekkert
  • Captain SerekCaptain Serek419 Burbank CaliforniaPosts: 90Member
    Excellent work, another feather in your cap.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Would be nice to see your take one what came after the Sovereign class style interior design. Bridging that gap between Nemesis and Picard
    Rekkert
  • richiewilchrichiewilch57 Posts: 41Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Regarding the Excelsior bridge, yeah there's no way to make it fit. To me it's more excusable if it's just the bridge and lounge on the top level, but I can see it either way, I just prefer this layout for Potemkin. I have a concept for the obs lounge already in development, and it doesn't fit at all inside the model, but I kinda don't care because there's NO WAY to make anything fit in there anyway.

I assume by obs lounge you mean something more like the lounge seen in Star Trek V. Really love the design, regardless of how I feel about where it is. I like your idea about it's placement, just as much as I like those earlier layout styles that I shared.
    I see that you have an actual painting in the room, and I actually wanted to ask you in an email about this, but I’ll ask you here... when you take an image from online of a real painting like that, I’m assuming it has to be a very high resolution, right? Because otherwise, if you render an image of a set with it beyond a certain resolution, the painting image would appear pixelated, right? Also, does using an actual image of a painting like that affect or place any limitations on what angles you can render the set at, to avoid the painting image looking distorted?

I know that this might come across as seeming a little sarcastic, and I hope that you don't take it this way, because that wasn't my intention, but when I read this post, I kinda had to stop for a second, and I said to myself, actually outloud "that's a great question!". I got some weird looks from my better half, as she had no idea what I was doing or what I was reading. Thought that this was a funny thing I should share. =)
    BolianAdmiralscifiericRekkert
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    edited February 2021 #3191
    I see that you have an actual painting in the room, and I actually wanted to ask you in an email about this, but I’ll ask you here... when you take an image from online of a real painting like that, I’m assuming it has to be a very high resolution, right? Because otherwise, if you render an image of a set with it beyond a certain resolution, the painting image would appear pixelated, right? Also, does using an actual image of a painting like that affect or place any limitations on what angles you can render the set at, to avoid the painting image looking distorted?

I know Rekkert already answered this, but I wanted to give a more technical explanation. In cases like these, where you need to maintain detail, you want the resolution of your texture to be the at least the same size of the amount of pixels it'll have when rendered in the scene. So if you are rendering a 4k image, but your painting will only take 300px of that size, then a resolution of 300px by 300px would be enough.

When building sets like these, you never know what camera angles will be used, so you should go higher. On a closeup of the painting in 4k, you'll probably want the texture to be 4k as well, if it's taking the full frame. If you are zooming in further, you'll need to go even higher.
    Post edited by Viper on
    BolianAdmiralrichiewilchRekkert
    Thanks for elaborating on the answer, Viper.
    Rekkert
    edited March 2021 #3193
    Took some unexpected time off due to personal issues and overall lack of energy. My partner had appendicitis late last month, luckily she quickly had the appendix removed; still, recovery was difficult and now she's out of job, meaning I'm again providing for both of us. Stress had already been piling up before and that all drove me over the edge. Covid and Argentina's economic situation aren't helping, I'll probably have to look into another, more stable job than freelancing 3D modeling to guarantee we have long term stability in my home.

At least this past week I was able to do some 3D stuff, though nothing commissions related. These are two personal projects I started a looong while ago, but I hope to be able to finish now. First off, a Type-6 shuttle, in both the standard version we saw in TNG and a longer version. This longer take won't be the one we saw in 'Generations', but rather a custom mix of the ST:V Type-4 shuttle and the Type-6 (so, Type-5?), with longer nacelles inspired on the Type-9A from the TNG Technical Manual.

I always though the Type-6 and Type-15 were too boxy and awkward looking for being brand new in TNG, so my head canon is that they're actually old by the 2360's, originally designed for use aboard Ambassador-Class ships. The Type-7 is thus the only "true" Galaxy-Class shuttle, but it was complemented by these older designs due to how well tested and cheap to manufacture they were. So I'm making this longer take to literally be the "missing link" between shuttle eras, and being mainly used on the Enterprise-C.

And yes, you can guess where this is going, the other personal project I went back to is the Enterprise-C bridge. I reworked the lighting (again!), added the final modeling details, and started doing the remaining okudagram panels. I hope to be working on these two projects for now, but no guarantees given everything that's happening at the moment.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1616881357
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1616881363
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1616881370
    tadeo-d-oria-06.jpg?1616881988
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    ashleytingerLizzy777kadenraztovmdtaWarp Propulsion LaboratoryCaptain SerekDoctorShmullusBolianAdmiralTenaciousMCand 1 other.
    Good stuff, glad you are back.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
    Some updates on the Ent-C bridge. I finished the okudagrams surrounding the viewscreen. The one on the port side is completely made up, while the one on the starboard side is based on a couple of out-of-focus shots we got in the episode.

I've also added some more graphics on the back stations, and some small spotlights above them to add more light to this back area. These spotlights were definitely NOT there on the original set (I checked on screencaps with edited brightness levels), but they were added just one episode later for the Enterprise-D cybernetic lab. They were thus also there for the last appearance of the battle bridge, as well as on the chronologically older USS Bozeman bridge. Because of all these other precedents I decided to add them here, the area is dark enough on the episode that we can imagine they were there all along, just offline due to the damage the ship sustained.

tadeo-d-oria-07.jpg?1616965269
    tadeo-d-oria-08.jpg?1616965276
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion LaboratoryTenaciousMCsolaremes
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Fantastic work!
    Rekkert
    Awesome, as usual my friend! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    Oh, man... I'm sorry to hear about your partner not feeling well, but I'm glad she got the issue addressed and has recovered!

I'm loving those shuttles... looking forward to seeing how they develop.
    Rekkert
    Excellent update, looking forward to the rest.
    More work filling up the okudagrams at the back stations, I have yet to do a ton of new graphics here. I also (re)did the tactical and helm graphics, which means all of the work that I had done two years ago for this bridge but that was lost is now redone, all that's left is the new stuff!

tadeo-d-oria-09.jpg?1617133680
    tadeo-d-oria-10.jpg?1617133688
    TenaciousMCLizzy777ashleytingersolaremes
    I always envisioned the bridge of an Ambassador looking a bit more luxurious... like one step below the D’s bridge... perhaps along the lines of how the A’s bridge looked in ST:V... to kind of show the gradual evolution to what we see on TNG. I like what you have here, though... the film-era Okudagrams always look nice. Did we ever find out what that extra standing console is, right in front of the view screen?
    RekkertpubliusrDoctorShmullus
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    Seanr had a theory that the Enterprise-C bridge seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise" was a secondary bridge, like a battle bridge or auxiliary control room.
    Rekkert
    @BolianAdmiral: I agree, in universe it would be more fitting, particularly as the Enterprise-B bridge was already going into that direction, looking more elegant than the Ent-A; I envision something like @seanr's Ambassador bridge as the standard for the class.

Still, if there's something ships like the Sutherland and Odyssey made clear is that there are a ton of variation even in a single class, so there's no reason why the Enterprise-C couldn't just be an odd one as far as Ambassador bridges go.

As far as the front standing console, there's nothing canon.

@Rusty0918: Yeah, I actually discussed it with him over at Twitter the other day, lol. On the episode we see the dedication plaque and door labels which read '01', so this is 100% intended as the main bridge. Sure, it's design is unfortunate, but understanding given the budget limitations. 'Yesterday's Enterprise' was one of the most expensive TNG episodes ever, given all the battle shots, the redressed Ent-D interiors (bridge, sickbay, obs lounge, ready room and Ten Forward were all redressed), the new uniforms, the new Ent-C model, the guess stars... Unfortunately they had to cut corners somewhere.

Over at TrekBBS there's a challenge for time travel related fan art, so I started working on a render of the damaged bridge at the beginning of the episode. I've added some volumetric fog and emmissive fires into the scene, as well as some depth of field to the camera. I still have to add a ton more debris around the front console, as well as some damage to the okudagram panels around the screen. The one thing I wish I could add but I certainly won't even try with the limited time is people (well, bodies).

The viewscreen shot of the Ent-D is taken from Generations, though flipped and rotated around in order to match the overall angle seen in Yesterday's Enterprise; the noise on the image is added via nodes in Blender.

This is my first time trying most of these things, so feedback and suggestions are super welcome!

tadeo-d-oria-untitled4.jpg?1617144404
    BolianAdmiralraztovCaptain SerekLizzy777solaremesDoctorShmullus
    I do love your attention to detail. It really is a smooth transition from A to B of the movie era with the C leading towards the D. Great job! 🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    Nice work as expected.
    Rekkert
    I've added more random scrap at the front of the bridge (including of course an I-beam); some cables dangling from the ceiling; scorch marks and smoke covering up the okudagrams at the sides of the screen, and of course small rocks scattered all over the floor.

I am considering what to do with the front console's main panel. I probably won't "smash it" as they did on the Stargazer, simply due to time. Maybe I'll see about creating the standard okudagram for it and then do an "emergency" version with alarms and more red.

tadeo-d-oria-untitled3.jpg?1617163700
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryseanrraztovCaptain SerekLizzy777solaremes
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    You might want to do the Enterprise-D battle bridge from "Best of Both Worlds Part II" after this. Though that ceiling thing on that set might be a pain.
    Rekkert
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    I always imagined they swapped out the Enterprise C bridge because they were at war. Prior to that, it could have had a more Enterprise B/Excelsior bridge with the more elegant look.
    RekkertDoctorShmullus
    I really wanna know where they keep all those I-beams, steel girders and rocks on the Bridge... 😜
    Rekkert
    Nice update.
    Rekkert
    @Rusty0918: Yeah, that ceiling piece is the only problem with doing the battle bridge, I have yet to find good references for it. The rest of the room is 90% already done though.

@mdta: Could be that the Ent-C had a different bridge when it was new, and then was replaced (after all, the Ent-A had 3 completely different bridges in less than 10 years). However remember that they were not at war at that point, the war only started a couple years after the C's disappearance.

@BolianAdmiral: Hahaha, maybe they have an industrial replicator above the bridge, and when the ship gets damaged it malfunctions and starts replicating random stuff. :p

@Captain Serek: Thanks! :)

And now for something completely different, last week I was interviewed for a piece on Star Trek chairs for Fast Company, particularly about the Ex Astris Scientia list where we're trying to compile all of the off-the-shelf chairs used. You can read the article here. When I told them I was a 3D modeler and why I started with that list back in the Stage 9 days, the conversation kinda shifted towards that, so it ended up being a cool experience talking about my passion here haha. I tried to make it clear that I was by no means the only one responsible for all the work and research that goes into this, but most of those passages got cut, still, I hope the point comes across.
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralseanrsolaremesDoctorShmullus