Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSDF-1 Macross

McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
edited January 2022 in Work in Progress #1
Now that Coro's done, it's time at last to start working on something new! And for that, I've decided to take a crack at modeling one of my favorite ships of all time.

Latest, for thumbnail:
sdf-1_2022-01-23-2042.jpg

Because it's not necessarily what one would call a "mainstream" (i.e. Star Trek, Star Wars) ship, I'm keeping the identity of the ship a mystery until someone correctly guesses it! The prize goes to @ashleytinger! :mrgreen: It is, indeed, the SDF-1 Macross from Superdimensional Fortress Macross (which was also chopped up, merged with two other anime series, and redubbed with a heavily modified story to become Robotech). Specifically, it's the ship as it appeared in the movie adaptation Do You Remember Love?, which is the version of the ship I first fell in love with.

This is a slightly unusual project, because I'm not just modeling the ship as one might for high-fidelity VFX...I'm also trying to very precisely replicate the Hasegawa 1:4000 scale model kit of the ship to serve as a "backup" that I can 3D print replacement (or duplicate!) parts from if I screw something up when I eventually get around to assembling and painting the physical model kit.

My plan is to do this in two passes. The first is to model all of the kit pieces as precisely as I can, so I have the aforementioned "backup" that I can use to 3D print replacement parts for the physical model kit if (when) I screw something up. To do that, I'm using some 10-micrometer (0.01mm)-precision calipers and a little "helping hands" gizmo with both 2x and 3x magnifying glasses attached.

The second pass, once the first is completed, will use the first pass's pieces as foundational geometry to create a higher-fidelity model such as one might expect for live-action VFX (or, y'know, as best I can manage), which will also involve fixing any inaccuracies as I go along adding detail. Whether or not I then back-propagate these updates into the 3D print pieces...well, we'll see! The Hasegawa 1:4000 kit has got some inaccuracies when compared with the movie (many of which aren't present on the Yamato/Arcadia 1:3000 toy, based on pictures I've amassed), but I'll worry about those after I finish capturing all of the parts.

I'm trying to model everything as non-destructively as possible (making heavy use of boolean and bevel modifiers), to make refinements and revisions easier at this stage.

This is the first completed piece. Not very exciting yet, but it's a beginning all the same. The shader material is currently just a very generic set of metal textures, along with a manipulated AO input as a mask for some grunge in the recessed areas.

sdf-1_2021-03-25-2218.jpg
Post edited by McC on
Lizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratory
Tagged:

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    ::thinks:: It's....Not the Lollipop. At least I don't think so. Still, looks like a good ship so far.
    McC
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2001 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    I look at it from a distance and it looks like part of the SDF-1 to me but up close not so much
    McC
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    edited March 2021 #4
    giphy.gif
    Post edited by japetus on
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    edited April 2021 #5
    @ashleytinger Wins the prize! :mrgreen: It is, indeed, the titular ship from Superdimensional Fortress Macross.

(I've now edited the following into the first post, with some more information about my overall plan for this project.)

Specifically, I'm doing a direct replica of the 1:4000 Hasegawa model kit of the ship as seen in Do You Remember Love?. It's got some inaccuracies when compared with the movie (many of which aren't present on the 1:3000 toy, based on pictures I've amassed), but I'll worry about those after I finish capturing all of the parts.

I'm still working on the next part, piece J1 (and its mirror counterpart, J2). There's a large chunk still to do, which is the mount for one of the smaller forward cannons that'll go in that big empty space toward the back there.

sdf-1_2021-04-01-2200.jpg
    Post edited by McC on
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777Zhor2395publiusr
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Robotech was my favorite cartoon when I was a kid. In fact I still have my transformable SDF-1 toy. Can't wait to see more!
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • GidiotGidiot30 Posts: 9Member
    gorgeous work so far! I can't wait to see how she fleshes out!
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    Be still, my racing heart =)
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    But when you are done doing the DYRL/Post-2012 refit....will you also do the original series' version? Because there are some major changes, not just in the ARMDs (heh), but also the shape of the bow - DYRL has 4 'prongs' per each half of the gun, while original anime version only had 2 'prongs' per side, and the legs - such as the three massive sections that open like shutters to reveal part of the city inside, which isn't on the TV anime version that I know of.

BTW, might want to get onto Macrossworld's forums too, as they have tons and tons and tons of images for viewers to look at, straight out of the Macross Chronicles magazine - which is official canon, and is second only to the Animes/OVAs/Movies for how detailed some of the images are.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    Many thanks, @Warp Propulsion Laboratory , @Gidiot , and @Zhor2395 !
    Barricade wrote: »
    But when you are done doing the DYRL/Post-2012 refit....will you also do the original series' version?
    No plan to, no. The DYRL version is the one that, for me, is the most "authentic" even though it's not the original. As outlined above, the plan is to replicate the 1/4000 model kit first, then go back and revise it based on all manner of sources (other larger-scale model kits, stills from DYRL, and probably some riffing of my own).
    Barricade wrote: »
    BTW, might want to get onto Macrossworld's forums too, as they have tons and tons and tons of images for viewers to look at, straight out of the Macross Chronicles magazine - which is official canon, and is second only to the Animes/OVAs/Movies for how detailed some of the images are.
    Oh, I lurk there regularly, rest assured. :mrgreen:

Right! Now, that things have settled down in life and I've gotten the Ambassadorial monkey off my back, time to actually make some more progress on SDF-1!

sdf-1_2022-01-23-2042.jpg

I couldn't quite stick to a completely nondestructive workflow for that battery mount (which still has more detail yet to be added...and the battery itself!), but all of the "destructive" aspects have preserved source meshes, so can be revised rapidly. I've got some new, better calipers coming in the mail on Tuesday, too, which will hopefully make taking measurements from the kit pieces a little more reliable!

I also migrated my revised PBR shader and compositing mix over from my Ambassador revamp, and then tweaked both further. For a bunch of procedural and stock images, I'm pretty happy with that surfacing--at least as a placeholder!
    Lizzy777lewisniven