Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTMP/TWOK/TSFS Stage 9 (and derivatives)

• Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    You going to keep the patio block transporter pads or going to do something more TNG-esque here?
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    You going to keep the patio block transporter pads or going to do something more TNG-esque here?

Still debating that. I definitely won't go full TNG, but maybe try for something in between if I do decide to deviate from the TMP/TWOK ones.
  • FANGsFANGs414 Posts: 79Member
    edited March 2021 #34
    I vaguely remember some kind of tutorial picture from your homepage. You made the back emitters by creating a backlit sandwich of translucent
    planes (if I remember correctly and interpreted this picture right).
    Is it still the same technique?
    Btw it looks superb!
    Post edited by FANGs on
    Yep, you remember correctly. Though in that case, I rendered out to a texture and then used the texture in the full set. In this case, the entire thing happens directly in camera. There's actually a lit screen a few feet behind the honeycomb panels, so a person could actually walk between the two just as they could have in the real set. Here's what the panels look like in wireframe:

wmd1tg8fuf8t.png

Those objects are in a collection that is then instanced around the back of the platform:

dcqu6epm9z48.png

The other selected object in that is the lit screen behind them. This version of the set has that screen emitting light, like one of those big curved LED screens we've seen in the last couple years, but in the TMP version, it's just got some spots shining on it like the original set appears to have had.
    Slight tweaks and some better render settings:

1yv62z739adz.png
    Lizzy777
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Very interesting observations about the Transporter screens.

I guess this is a hybrid approach to these designs you are working on. Built as fully "realistic" interiors, but still using the tricks of set design to make it as close to what was seen in camera.

Would be interesting to see these interiors being built as "sets" so plywood and wooden structures holding up the walls etc :)
    edited March 2021 #38
    mdta wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see these interiors being built as "sets" so plywood and wooden structures holding up the walls etc :)

LOL, I'm crazy, but I'm not that crazy. =)

And just to prove I am crazy, this warp plasma is completely procedural volumetrics (well, other than the object giving it basic shape):
    sr8364nelgkp.png

This is the material for that:
    zf60d39c5bjp.png

That plasma, incidentally, is the only source of light in the entire set, save for an HDR outside at 0.125 intensity (just to keep the open ends of the set from being pitch dark while I build it).
    Post edited by seanr on
    mdtaashleytingerLizzy777lewisnivenMustang13Camaro68
    1pynk1r7eb77.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingermdtaWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergMustang13Camaro68
    qrcijyjvmjkb.png
    ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BrandenbergMustang13Camaro68
    Looks good. You going to do a "what TFF/TUC should have been like" version with TVH-TUC okudagrams, I wonder?
    edited March 2021 #42
    That's exactly the intention. I'm building the TMP version first as a baseline, but it'll meander off in the direction before long.

u729xf8g2snq.png
    Post edited by seanr on
    Lizzy777BrandenbergMustang13Camaro68
    While I wasn't surprised that they re-used the TNG engineering for TUC (well it was in turn a redress of the TMP engineering of course), the warp core and such felt right out of place. Sometimes I would wonder if Scotty in "Relics" after seeing the TNG engine room saying: "hey, this is almost the same exact engineering we had on the Enterprise-A!"
    seanr
    seanr wrote: »
    That's exactly the intention. I'm building the TMP version first as a baseline, but it'll meander off in the direction before long.

You are missing one radiation chamber, but maybe don't bother adding the Enterprise D engineering console and warp core... :)

mdta wrote: »
    You are missing one radiation chamber, but maybe don't bother adding the Enterprise D engineering console and warp core... :)
    Do you mean the dilithium room Spock died in? I actually built some of the parts for that as part of my Klingon bridge a while back (they were originally part of the TMP Klingon bridge IRL too). I've been debating whether to add that room and actually do the TWOK version, or just do something entirely different in the same spot for the TLE stuff.
    Added the consoles and the back wall of the horizontal intermix area:

ve5i09tvmufv.png
    Lizzy777Brandenbergsolaremes
  • jpolkjpolk335 New YorkPosts: 14Member
    I've always been confused as to why the dilithium crystal chamber was separate from the intermix chamber. I guess it was a pre-Okuda/Sternbach set choice.
    edited March 2021 #48
    jpolk wrote: »
    I've always been confused as to why the dilithium crystal chamber was separate from the intermix chamber. I guess it was a pre-Okuda/Sternbach set choice.

Probably to remind people of the horizontal engine region on the original TOS set. AFAIU the Phase 2 set, only had the vertical core.
    28tz1qth9op3.jpg
    8g3r2wtbet0d.jpg

(forgottentrek.com)
    Post edited by mdta on
    solaremes
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    And it didn't exist in the TMP set at all. They added it for Wrath of Khan to have that reactor room feel and a place to block off for Spock.
    And it didn't exist in the TMP set at all. They added it for Wrath of Khan to have that reactor room feel and a place to block off for Spock.

Yep, reusing some big parts from the TMP Klingon bridge (most of the rest of which went to the torpedo room set). I actually built those parts when I was working on my Klingon bridge fully intending to bring them into this one; I may yet do that.
    edited March 2021 #51
    Kirk and Scotty by Raul Mamoru:
    dl5tlex9j80u.png
    Post edited by seanr on
    mdtaRekkertLizzy777solaremes
    tri2i5g3wq3v.png
    JeffrySGLizzy777MadKoiFishsolaremes
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    That elevator is such a death trap.
    Added the dilithium/reactor room:

0zii0kzy4cgk.png

njs4q8qn0so9.png

dzzilkr9twff.png

yqc8ff61h6qt.png
    Lizzy777Brandenbergsolaremes
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    I've always wondered, does the dilithium reactor room actually fit inside the secondary hull or does it jut out a bit? Does your geometry give any insight to that?
    It should, easily. Remember, there's a deck between the top of the horizontal shaft and the outer hull at this end - that's where the blast door fits, and the hull tapers to nearly even with the bulkheads at the far end of the shaft. In the vicinity of the vertical intermix shaft on this deck, there's plenty of room to spare around engineering. In this overhead shot, the hull might just be closing in on the far right corner of that room but there's still room to spare:

92ijajkch0wa.png
    Lizzy777solaremes
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    edited March 2021 #57
    I guess its hard to get my head around, because I feel like the vertical intermix chamber thingy goes up through the neck up to the "impulse crystal thing" which would put main engineering basically a deck below the torpedo launcher, which would imply the curved area in the rear is actually the supports for the outer hull. (And would mean that the emergency doors come from nowhere (and also somehow pass through the plasma conduits...)

I am not criticizing your work at all. Some of the decisions in the design of the refit connie just make it hard to figure out where stuff goes (unlike say, excelsior class, where there is a ton of room)

(that said, if you extend the warp nacelle strut things into the center of https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/ksy-enterprise/7.jpg, it does put the engineering deck a deck lower.)
    Post edited by johnl2112 on
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    That is beautiful work!
    edited March 2021 #59
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    I guess its hard to get my head around, because I feel like the vertical intermix chamber thingy goes up through the neck up to the "impulse crystal thing" which would put main engineering basically a deck below the torpedo launcher, which would imply the curved area in the rear is actually the supports for the outer hull. (And would mean that the emergency doors come from nowhere (and also somehow pass through the plasma conduits...)
    You actually have that more or less right but it's a little deceiving. The upper level of engineering is just below the neck - the ceiling of that area has a hole in it where the intermix shaft passes up through the torpedo bays and continues up to the impulse deflection crystal. The decs above the torpedo bays are similar to that small upper level of engineering or more like the slightly smaller levels below main engineering, but the pass-through of the torpedo bay section is too narrow to fit a person between the intermix and the wall.

What you're missing is that the top of the engineering section slopes down toward the back while that long horizontal hall does not. That means that at the front end of that hall where it connects with the main engineering space, the ship's hull is a deck higher than is apparent, about even with the ceiling of the upper floor of engineering. The hull only gets close to those curved beams all the way in the back, just behind where the plasma conduits split off at the base of the warp engine pylons.

This drawing, for example, is bogus - Engineering is a deck too high inside the ship.

This one, by Probert himself, is a bit better, but might be a little misaligned (I'd shift the deck lines a foot or two down):
    Enterprise-cutaway-1.jpg
    Post edited by seanr on
    At least one "finished" render has come out of this project. :D
    Stage_9_-_TLE_Engineering_054-alt.png

More to come later, but I won't be doing any more like that any time soon - that took 13 hours and 40 minutes to render!
    psCargileMartocticvsRekkertraztovmdtaLizzy777solaremesMadKoiFishlewisniven
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I’d like to see a “new” torpedo room designed to fit the blueprints...something not based on the Klingon bridge.

I have some drawings here of a different take on Carey’s Dreadnought...a little flatter—-where I forgot to put torpedo tubes in each of the “facets” of that design.

I only mention that because the torpedo set in TWOK seems to suggest such a set up.

I can see a deep fake fix for this, say, in 2083