Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    I just use this script: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vertex-cleaner

It removes all extra vertices produced by the booleans. Cleanup is much faster this way.

Do you leave the panels modeled? Or do you eventually transfer them to textures?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    All modeled as I dislike textured details and how max manages textures. Not to mention I hate unwrapping. This model will be mostly modeled as it is being done for cross platform compatibility and I am not sure how much UVW unwrapping will translate over in a FBX export.
    Not to mention much if this wont be stenciled detail in the end but extruded paneling.
    BolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    All modeled as I dislike textured details and how max manages textures. Not to mention I hate unwrapping. This model will be mostly modeled as it is being done for cross platform compatibility and I am not sure how much UVW unwrapping will translate over in a FBX export.
    Not to mention much if this wont be stenciled detail in the end but extruded paneling.

UV transfers just fine these days. I do it all the time. Unwrapping is awesome :tongue: It opens a ton of possibilities these days. What's wrong with how max manages textures btw? Never had a problem.

As for extruded detail, I just build the panels in a separate object and conform. Ain't got time to fiddle with cutting and extruding.
    edited February 2021 #2195
    Textures at oblique angles look like crap. I am not going into detail on this. I choose to texture something based on what I want out of it.

In my experience UVW does not transfer, least not enough to risk spending hours unwrapping and all the headache it entails to have it all fail at the end.

To me conform and that method is fiddling and wasting my time on something I can accomplish much faster by cutting and extruding.

Post edited by MadKoiFish on
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Looks good Koi!
    Yeah, I just switched to some star wars stuff because I was spining my wheels on a voyager refit idea. Sometimes just go take a break and build something quick helps clean out the cobwebs!

As always, looking forward to more!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Aye... always excited for updates, lol.
    Here is work form a few days ago. Altered pattern and grids. I might hold off and get to the rest of the ship to see if what I have here properly works and fits with the rest. That whole isolation thing heh. Maybe Ill rig it up later and do a full render. ATM the nacelle is a master with the ones on the ship clones.

emissary-0127.jpg

emissary-0128.jpg
    GestaltlewisnivenWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777srspicerFreakJES
    I like it!
    Well, I can't deny that your results are fantastic. Really clean job.
    Bit of messing around with the hdri and some of the materials. Just not been happy with the hdri. I have been using sphere but tried mirrored ball. Heck I might not even be doing it right in vray lol. It is applied to a dome light and under texture I have the vrayhdri shader. >_>
    emissary-0130.jpg
    emissary-0131.jpg

Also goofing off with the idea of replacing asphyxiated alice II. That and messing about with the assets. Needs a lot of welding in and gloss/lum maps (apparently those were not released) Oddly the dev release these with each game update, guess more people do with them the more promotion they get. Dunno. They are all toon shaded and I haven't looked much into that in vray. They came with rigs but the rigs do not mesh I guess with 2019. I see the gizmos but it is "skinned" and it seems 2019 wont allow this? shrug lol. I know most are bringing these in with mmd and blender.

it is really odd how they do the face as it is a lot of detached parts and strange shapes. and I am guessing eye blinks and expressions are related to "stuff" floating in her head. >_> An organics animator I am not.

Real stink is I have to reapply the maps, there SORTA is texture IDs but it really does not match up so it is a slow selection of bits here and there. Real issue is anything hard edged is detached. So to get corners there is a seam. This means she is a pile of detached bits. Hair alone is like 40 parts. YUCK. you can see the seam running across the bridge of the nose and down the cheeks.

I would love to import at least all my faves and rig them but bleah, not to mention I have not the foggiest idea how to do the face with the teeth tongue and all those floaty bits.

xinyan-01.jpg

probably a lot of replication of others work as I saw some steam lib has them but I have no idea what is needed to gain access to those assets. Likely it is for some posing app on steam and well I do not use front ends. I should some day get into it as loads of silly games for cheap on there.
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777JES
    Aughhh crash crash crash. heh

Also a bit of a derp, I went and added this detail to the nacelle forgetting I was going to put a pennant there with the typical swoosh lines. So ripped that off and stuck those rounded slot things you see on the D. Will only be on the outside inner side will be plain panels.

emissary-0133.jpg
    emissary-0134.jpg
    LoopholeFreakLizzy777Billynom8ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralsrspicerLeoBerlinZhor2395and 1 other.
    Very nice.
    Since I am sure many are sick of the nacelle. ZI am taking some elements back to basic shapes to clean them up and see if I can work in some detail into the subdiv instead of box modeling it out later on. Others are getting a going over before I go that next step and collapse the subdiv and start in on the details.

emissary-0136.jpg
    emissary-0137.jpg
    emissary-0141.jpg
    emissary-0142.jpg
    emissary-0143.jpg
    emissary-0144.jpg
    Billynom8Lizzy777ashleytingerAtolmBolianAdmiralLoopholeJESFreak
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    edited March 2021 #2205
    Nice. Did you forget to delete the default cube, though?

vei9rzvdz8g1.png
    :p
    Post edited by seanr on
    Loophole
    seanr wrote: »
    Nice. Did you forget to delete the default cube, though?

vei9rzvdz8g1.png
    :p

Hey, you tryin' to disarm my ship? ;) :P
    I'm loving all the details so far. The nacelles, aft lounge and deflector all look great so far. I'm actually real curious to find out what you have in mind for the Bridge module.
    I was thinking of doing something with the upper super once I figure out these struts. Just not getting what I want out of them. Attempting something like what is on the SOV but I think right now too many vents and not enough strut.
    emissary-0148.jpg
    Hard part is the ship is so much one giant object right now that I have to nail everything I want before getting to the major detailing phases. Also wanting to revisit some work on the nacelles as I think I lost my way with the panel separations (the actual panel lines. )
    Lizzy777LoopholeashleytingerBolianAdmiralJESFreak
    Hmmm... maybe just some type of simple grid detailing, like on the D’s pylons? Or maybe decrease the number of vents to three, so that they can be a tad bigger, and have a bit more space between them? IDK... just throwing stuff out there.

3vutncplinm7.jpeg
    edited March 2021 #2210
    This is what I did earlier this morning. It seems to work better. I am trying to match the profile seen in the 3/4 view in the drawing which hints as some stepped down venting. It doe slook to have a shield grid ala TNG and voy on the strut with a few other details.

emissary-0150.jpg
    emissary-0151.jpg

I also really need to look at my materials, it has bothered me since moving to vray as all my surfacing has a lack of reflections, not gloss but the reflected surface from the hdri and surrounding objects in scene. It could just be the simple shapes of the model right now just do not produce much to work with bout it could be a error in my set up somewhere.

I am taking some liberties such as extending the dividers in a more SOV fashion. As the image I think is showing more of a slit with panels this a more vaned exhaustish thing. It is of course all blocky atm as I just wanted to test the overall feel before getting to much into it.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralJESFreak
    I really like those vents, but if possible, could I please see them moved up a bit, so that they’re centered along that edge of the pylon? Seeing them not centered as they are is kinda messing with my OCD, lol.
    It is mostly for internal mechanical needs that it is shifted towards the nacelle, that and to match the illustration, I will try shifting it up without intruding into the upper part of the strut. I wanted the intake and exhaust vanes to line up front to back as the strut is angled inward it eliminates a lot of external surface.
    BolianAdmiral
    More centered but it really condenses the vents. Ignore the internals as looking at one of my other ships I am going to alter how these parts are built.
    emissary-0153.jpg
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralFreak
    Close up of the new internals, they follow what I have done on other ships than the basic applied trim and black face like on the studio prop of the SOV.

emissary-0155.jpg

emissary-0156.jpg
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777JESFreak
    I really like it this way. If you can keep them like that, I’d appreciate it.
  • FANGsFANGs414 Posts: 79Member
    So do I! And all details are just cut in? Incredible! What about the decals? Are they cut from a duplicated nacelle and then placed on top of the surface?
    Btw what filesize can we expect with such a detailed work? With my Enterprise I'm about 90mb and I'm not sure if I'm still doing it right. 90mb seems so ridiculously high, so I just had to ask.

Sitting at 23mb forget if max compression is on or not. I usually do not pay attention to filesize as project folders are often in the hundred gigs as I save archives. 8tb hdds are cheap enough these days.

Details are modeled in. Decals depends if it is a hovering object or physically in the mesh. So far I have not done any loose decals. This is often only used for text or illustrations on the hull.

small update from yesterday.
    emissary-0158.jpg
    emissary-0159.jpg
    screen cap of the viewport.
    emissary-0160.png
    seanrBolianAdmiralJESLizzy777
    Very nice. Love how the pylon(s) is coming along... the vents and the panel detail works very well together.
    Forward intakes, pressure relief or whatevers.
    emissary-0162.jpg
    emissary-0163.jpg
    BolianAdmiralashleytingerLizzy777FreakJES
    Smallish update mostly because of lots of redoing. Just not happy with one thing or another.

emissary-0166.jpg

emissary-0167.jpg
    I will probably redo that shield grid thing. Might just get rid of it for something else.
    ashleytingerLoopholeBolianAdmiralLizzy777FreakJES
    Very nice. I think the Sovereign style vents and the D style panels look great by themselves. The pylons aren’t a physically big part of the ship, in comparison to the ship itself, so I think keeping things simple with those two details might work best... especially if you’re planning to place an NCC number there, like on the D, which I’d assume you will. Just my two cents.