Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAshley's Star Wars WIP Thread

• ThePartTimeGeekThePartTimeGeek5 Posts: 5Member
    Heh... and I just downloaded Truespace to try to get a handle on how the stuff is put together.

I have Blender and have dabbled with it, but I haven't had the time to really wrap my head around it (too much work, too many projects, not enough brain cells, it seems).

I have started watching more tutorials on Blender as of late, however, and from what I've seen, once you get a handle on it, it's hella powerful. Currently my skill level is kitbashing and mucking with primitives in Daz, but I'm hopeful that if I can get a couple of free weekends, I can get the hang of Blender and start doing some work with that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you scratch that itch when you get the chance, because what you've shown so far makes me quite happy!
    ashleytingerscifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    Heh... and I just downloaded Truespace to try to get a handle on how the stuff is put together.

I have Blender and have dabbled with it, but I haven't had the time to really wrap my head around it (too much work, too many projects, not enough brain cells, it seems).

I have started watching more tutorials on Blender as of late, however, and from what I've seen, once you get a handle on it, it's hella powerful. Currently my skill level is kitbashing and mucking with primitives in Daz, but I'm hopeful that if I can get a couple of free weekends, I can get the hang of Blender and start doing some work with that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you scratch that itch when you get the chance, because what you've shown so far makes me quite happy!

Have fun with Truespace. It was a great stomping ground back in the day. I am REALLY enjoying Blender For Artists, but I'm still learning.

I'm probably going to end up doing a different version of the YT-1300 interior than the one I originally posted. It's not going to be Lando's or Han's Falcon, but I'm borrowing a few things and then re-doing the whole back end of the ship's interior to fit what I want. I'm probably jettisoning the side loaded escape pod since I'm planning on having the one in the forks up front.

That's after I get caught up on a ton of work though. Server crashes suck
    scifieric
    I think a huge portion of the fun my gaming group and I have, especially play SW or Trek, is figuring out exactly how we want OUR ship to be laid out. Inspiration from canon is fine, but no one can truly reflect your tastes the way you yourself can, right?

Also just took a stroll through your work on DA, so much fun! You've got a ton of content, and its helping inspire me to get my butt in gear and get some stuff done!

Thank you so very much for your time.
    scifieric
    yt_1300_silver_venture_wip_01_by_ashleytinger_defi0ym-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xMjM0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZWZpMHltLWE5OTk2MzEyLTgzZDMtNDA5Zi04NWFiLWVhNWM5NzYwMmNhMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.GmVc-QvSOmiquIm6vz4ouFn592O6w4JqN9CMSgAnUqA

This is what happens when you're rebuilding 11 servers and have to wait for Windows updates but can't concentrate enough to work on details on a bridge for Trek.

I was going to just convert over what I'd already built for my YT-1300 interior, and I'm more than likely going to try and fire up Truespace to export out some bits and pieces of the main hold and especially the cockpit parts I'd built, but I remembered how I'd built the corridors and wasn't happy with them at the time, so I started over with those.

I'm using Lando's Falcon as a base interior but the main quarters are not going to have that massive walk-in closet. Engineering is also going to have more of a walk-in space, so while I'm using these blueprints as a guide, I'm not sticking to them specifically. I did scale these to the blueprints from ANH that are kicking around out there for the cockpit, so that back section right behind the cockpit wall that's 3 ft? Yeah that's what I scaled the entirety of the blueprints to. :P

Ignore the airlock exterior caps. After I built them I realized I put too much on the inside of them so they'll have to be rebuilt. Placeholders at best right now.

I don't know when I'll be getting back to this one, but I think I'll plug away at it when I'm not working on my Trek stuff.
    Lizzy777wolfmanWarp Propulsion LaboratorypsCargilescifieric
    cp180_heavy_courier_wip_01_by_ashleytinger_defqoiu-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD00OTQiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC9mYWM0NTJhNi0wYmEzLTRiM2EtOTExNS00OTVjODYwMWE3NzNcL2RlZnFvaXUtYjE4M2Q3NDAtYjNlMC00ODhiLWEzMmItNGIxZjY1NWY5Y2ViLmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.MfRxkytQkij1yPDZr4QE34BQfEBXtDIlYx6an8py60M

Still dealing with some straggling server issues at work and fighting with converting over that TMP bridge, so I'm still dabbling with things that don't need much detail, yet. While I was working on my YT-1300 I realized it was going to take awhile even pulling assets I'd already done, so I thought I'd go smaller scale. So I sketched out a variant of a freighter I saw in a West End book I was flipping through and thought I could make it smaller, you know, for a pair of people and a droid. And so the CP180 Heavy Courier was born as a sketch.

Main inspiration for this started with that freighter, but I'm bringing in bits and pieces from the Corellian Corvette, aka the Rebel Blockade Runner.

While I did rough out the interior, I'm still developing it a bit. I'm thinking of having a central corridor going back along the raised spine I've got instead of just having a larger open middle compartment. Haven't decided if it's going to be Falcon style or Blockade runner style for the corridor. I think the Blockade Runner would fit better though considering the exterior aesthetics. I am splitting the main compartments out from what I'd originally planned. On the one side it's cargo and the other will be the crew area. Small lounge will have a 'kitchenette' and a 2 seater crash couch with a table to eat at, a shower and toilet and a set of bunks.

And no, I have no idea if CP180 already belongs to another ship class.
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777psCargilescifieric
    cp180_heavy_courier_wip_02_by_ashleytinger_deg5sqj-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD00ODYiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC9mYWM0NTJhNi0wYmEzLTRiM2EtOTExNS00OTVjODYwMWE3NzNcL2RlZzVzcWotZmI5YjBjM2UtOWM5Mi00NDI2LTgxNzItODNjZWNjN2VmMmZjLmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jU8LIHQUOKblkIH5G8xx9BYx-58w9ww-Ia8cHZmUMNg

Took a bit of a break cleaning up my imported bridges on the Trek end of things to work on the Heavy Courier a bit.

I'm tackling it a bit from a practical perspective since I intend to build the interior to completely fit inside the ship and match up. So I built out Engineering to house the equipment with some wiggle room for a mechanic to get around and did up the base engines. The middle one does sit back a little further than the outer two but only by a bit. Since I already know how I want to do up the airlocks in the command area or hammerhead of the ship, I haven't really touched on that section since it's 75% detailing and I'm keeping it general for now.

I am trying to work out landing gear and the cargo bay door. I haven't decided if I'm going Razor Crest style where it folds up and seals tight with the hull or if I'm going Hammerhead Corvette style where the ramp is a reinforced door but it doesn't fit flush with the ship. That's going to dictate how I detail out that section, but I think the ramp is a good size so I'm probably going to carve out the door frame in the hull at least. I thought about two landing skids that fold out from underneath but I'm not thrilled with even the rough base of how that looks so I'm probably dipping into the Hammerhead Corvette style landing gear as I think that'll fold up nicely in the reinforced hull that's running the length of the ship.

There's a laundry list of things to do with her, but she's coming along.
    Warp Propulsion LaboratorypsCargilescifieric
    cp180_heavy_courier_wip_03_by_ashleytinger_deg7u9h-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xMTAwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZWc3dTloLTZjOTU4ZjdmLWE4NGEtNDM4Mi05NTAzLTU4NTNiMDc0ZmQ3Yi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.r6vzNGnoZv5-9dc4G1stc91c1VVYkNIrDwo7h3An5Zs

I guess I'm on a roll with this little flying brick.

Decided on the cargo bay door functionality and built up a quick base version and cut the hole in the side of the cargo bay. Also hollowed out the interior and laid out the floor so I can start building that. I decided to go asymmetrical and didn't put the cannon on the top but instead mounted it opposite the airlock. It's loosely based off the Hammerhead Corvette cannon. The Airlock on the opposite side is roughed in without any detail yet.

And yes, that is an engine light test without any color yet.

She needs her hull armor plating and TONS of greeble bits to make her less smooth. This is a well used ship so she shouldn't be pristine. I also need that extra armor I'd planned along the spine there too. Lots of exterior detail to add while I build the interior.
    Lizzy777psCargilescifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is actually looking pretty cool! Keep going!
    scifieric wrote: »
    This is actually looking pretty cool! Keep going!

Thanks! I wasn’t sure at first but she’s growing on me. I’m bouncing back and forth between this and the Refit bridge cleanup so I don’t get burnout. Cleaning up work you’ve already done can be a bit frustrating even when it ends up looking better.
    scifieric
    cp180_heavy_courier_wip_04_by_ashleytinger_degc98f-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD03MjAiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC9mYWM0NTJhNi0wYmEzLTRiM2EtOTExNS00OTVjODYwMWE3NzNcL2RlZ2M5OGYtZTkwNzFjMmEtYWFjZS00ZjVmLWFmNzAtMjUwMDRlZjIzYmM5LmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.b8pk-RQdoFy-GsrZmJc0JqfxplBcKDnzWvY3QtMExqM

So I felt an urge to model while Cyberpunk 2077 installed and patched on my PS4 but I didn't want to get involved in more mesh clean-up, so back to the Heavy Courier I went.

I was originally going to do a straight section of the YT-1300 for the central corridor that runs the length of the ship, but with all the lineage history that goes back to the Hammerhead and the Blockade Runner, I thought I should do up a corridor that matches that but then I didn't want the clean corridors of the Tantive IV, this is a working class ship. Bring on the Service Corridor! No this isn't one for one of the service corridor. The parts aren't going to completely match and they shouldn't. I did keep 4 sections of gas/liquid containers, a section of lots of piping that I need to have something on the wall behind besides, and the other section closer to Engineering that has fewer pipes that needs something there. I'm thinking some variation of the consoles from the Falcon with an astromech jack-in port.

The well lit sections in the middle there go to the cargo bay to the right and the crew quarters to the left. I need to model up a different section there with different doors for that as well as to the cockpit and Engineering.

Side note, the only parts here I did use from the YT-1300 are the floor panels and the round bulkheads. Everything else is new.
    Lizzy777psCargileMadKoiFishThePartTimeGeekscifiericStarCruiser
    Admittedly, this ship has been a very fun side-project to go along with cleaning up my Trek bridge meshes, and while I will get back to building out my own YT-1300 with interior, I definitely want to finish the Heavy Courier. The big question I'm having right now as I rough out the crew quarters and cargo bay is do I go back to the corridor and have a few panels that can be pulled up and have conduit running back from the cockpit to Engineering around the landing gear (landing gear struts in image are not final)? There's room for a crawlspace in there or even a contraband cargo hold...

And no, that is NOT my R2 unit in there. I needed to make sure my corridor and doorways were wide enough.

cp180_heavy_courier_wip_05_by_ashleytinger_degggu8-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD00NzkiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC9mYWM0NTJhNi0wYmEzLTRiM2EtOTExNS00OTVjODYwMWE3NzNcL2RlZ2dndTgtODdmNjU5NTEtYzk4NC00ZjRkLTg5MGUtYTc1MTA2M2YxNTJiLmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.O6W_jGTVjnjsh_VnrTH_pSZdKlTZLpnvtX_e-YG34d4

Lizzy777scifiericStarCruiser
    Wow, I step away for a few weeks, and come back to all sorts of progress! I love it!

Also, really glad I saw you integrate your floorplan as the ground plane for your work.. I drew up plans for my YT2000 (none really exist that are official.. sooo....), and laid that out as a ground plane in Blender, and it works like a dream as far as visualizing what needs to go where, so thank you for that.

I'd stepped away from my project to work on an animation for a streamer friend of mine (real simple, helps me learn to utilize what I'm learning), but now that I'm revisiting this thread, I'm feeling all sorts of inspired again! Once more, thank you.

The work on your ships is absolutely fantastic. I'm very glad I ran across this thread.
    ashleytingerscifieric
    Wow, I step away for a few weeks, and come back to all sorts of progress! I love it!

Also, really glad I saw you integrate your floorplan as the ground plane for your work.. I drew up plans for my YT2000 (none really exist that are official.. sooo....), and laid that out as a ground plane in Blender, and it works like a dream as far as visualizing what needs to go where, so thank you for that.

I'd stepped away from my project to work on an animation for a streamer friend of mine (real simple, helps me learn to utilize what I'm learning), but now that I'm revisiting this thread, I'm feeling all sorts of inspired again! Once more, thank you.

The work on your ships is absolutely fantastic. I'm very glad I ran across this thread.

Thanks! Yeah I'm having fun with it and it made me re-think the original story I had bopping around in my head to work with this.

degs5h4-7bca8a36-ba18-46a0-8924-4414ed917f8b.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZWdzNWg0LTdiY2E4YTM2LWJhMTgtNDZhMC04OTI0LTQ0MTRlZDkxN2Y4Yi5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.tZmxM-dQ_xQJJSFeWAtZnFnYF27Mn2s_M0SuJmv1ILY

Decided I didn't want to build a cockpit for the Heavy Courier from scratch and while most of this console is going to be used as it, I am going to be making mods for it based on what I have planned for the Heavy Courier.

This was the cockpit console I'd built for my YT-1300 before I had to swap from Blender. Spent about 2 hours cleaning this up. Only had to clean up about 30 pieces of it or so. It's composed of 440 different pieces right now, in case you were curious. ;)

And yes this is based more off the ANH Falcon loadout than the other versions, except it has a droid access port in the back. That's why there's no steering yolks.
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryomnipotentpsCargileMadKoiFishThePartTimeGeekwibblescifiericStarCruiser
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Looking good.

Since you are using Blender, if you want better scale figures than cookie cutter shapes, try MB-Labs. It's an easy add-on to install, and easy to use.
    psCargile wrote: »
    Looking good.

Since you are using Blender, if you want better scale figures than cookie cutter shapes, try MB-Labs. It's an easy add-on to install, and easy to use.

The flat character is a holdover from when I modeled him out of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. I could import DAZ character if I wanted, but he's an easily scalable 6ft. tall and is more for sizing than anything else.
    scifieric
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    I knew that character looked familiar.
    psCargile wrote: »
    I knew that character looked familiar.

LOL Yup he's the outline that's standing in the corridor cross-section.
    scifieric
    cp180_heavy_courier_wip_08_by_ashleytinger_dehou9r-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD04ODciLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC9mYWM0NTJhNi0wYmEzLTRiM2EtOTExNS00OTVjODYwMWE3NzNcL2RlaG91OXItOGNkYWY2N2UtZjJiZi00ODQwLTg3OTAtMTEzOGM4MGU2MmQ2LmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.IMGcv1-xpxT_vM2FJZEGael2Us2FT3xVFp7hSosQ6qU

I've been playing with this on and off between work and cleaning up the Trek bridge along with you know, spending time destressing and enjoying life. :P

Anyway, work on my little ship that could contiues.

The left three are actually the most current version of the ship. The top left is my attempt to figure out how much space I had for a cockpit window. The middle is my first real go at it, trying to mimic the Corvette a bit, but the window is pretty tight there and considering this ship is a bit bigger than a fighter but much smaller than a full on freighter, I had to agree with my consultants that I needed to spruce it up a bit, and so based the windows off the original look for the Corvette and built it into the geometry of that middle part of the hull.

I've been toying with the cockpit a bit and gave the pilot and copilot a hanging set of controls to access. I'm building all of the controls that were spaced out over the YT1300 into these, minus the nav controls and computer (that's why this ship needs an astromech) so that two people can legit fly it without having to get out of their seats.

One thing that was bugging me too, and this is where the sketch comes in, was that I had built her exterior way too differently than my initial sketches and so I drew over the top of the model to try and figure out spacing as well as functionality. The idea here is that this Heavy Courier had the equivalent of two cargo containers mounted or attached to the side for regualr transport. If it needed to, when it got where it was going, it could eject either of them and still be able to take on another container. So both sides, crew and cargo, are getting built roughly the same way, only the crew area is a converted cargo module for the ship and so has some padding added to it but overall will look like a converted cargo container-ish.

My other idea, is that the whole ship is a lifeboat, other than Engineering. If there's a problem in Engineering and it's going to explode, etc. they can seal off the corridor, cut the cord holding the rear of the ship on and use thrusters to get away. I highly doubt I'm going to ever depict that or build it to do that, but that's the thought process. Hence the big red emergency door.

Last but not least, I've started on the bunks and the hull braces and ceiling in the crew and cargo area. I've also blocked out the bathroom and put a door to it. I'm probably barebonesing the bathroom. Like I'll do up the walls and lights but I don't have a desire to design up a Star Wars Toilet or space shower at the moment.

Lizzy777psCargilewolfmanThePartTimeGeekscifiericStarCruiser
    That console looks excellent!

I'm slowly trying to model one for a YT 1930 (slow going because of work, home life, other projects, etc). I have my basic geometry for the cockpit and console, now I'm slowly going through and trying to design the control yoke. I did import my Gamorrean from Daz so I could have a size reference (he's easily the largest member of the crew).

Main problem I'm having, speed wise, is that I'm still trying to learn the software, and I occasionally experience hiccups with Blender and can't figure out why. Ah well... calm voids don't make for capable spacers, am I right?

I'm absolutely digging your work, and I want to thank you for inspiring me to make this rather bold leap into a project that is FAR too large for my abilities. As frustrating as it can be, I'm enjoying the process!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    cp180_heavy_courier_wip_09_by_ashleytinger_dejf3qu-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MjEzMyIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGVqZjNxdS0wZTQ2MjU5Ny0zYmNmLTQ0NDItODJhYy01NjVlYzE0YmU3YmUuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.HxWKXBU1GJkjiZE8n0BqpuFz8FqkEBxX-ecBh-_FxCs

Between work, clean-up of other meshes, and having life stuff going on, haven't gotten to play much with this. I'd fleshed out the idea of this ship a bit more with the thought that the units on the side are detachable and customizable. There might be an actual crew module with all the amenities, but the cargo options are the most prevalent as that makes you the most money with less effort keeping people happy involved. So I decided to build it out as a smaller version of the Cargo Module from earlier Star Wars games. I planned on stripping it down so I didn't want to detail it too much but I wanted the bones there, so that's the Original Cargo Container exterior.

The converted Cargo Container has been modified to have more armor in sensitive target spots as well as life support, a kitchen, bunks, a refresher and a pair of crash chairs. On the outside, key parts of the original container have been left and my plan is to work in lots of hoses, plating, weird car parts.. er greebles, and so on on the exterior. I'm just getting started with the interior, but I'm borrowing design motifs from the YT-1300 main hold and the Captain's Cabin. I'm not modeling the refresher, but I'm putting lights and walls and a door in.

I'm carrying over a few parts here to the actual cargo module on the ship, but it's going to be modified as well with less padding and more room for storage. That's going to end up being a garage for a single person speeder bike I'm toying with (no not based off any one design in particular) and some tools and parts as well as room for actual storage. That's obviously not in these screengrabs.
    Lizzy777lewisnivenStarCruiserAel's
    silver_venture_main_hold___wip_01_by_ashleytinger_devb3tj-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZmFjNDUyYTYtMGJhMy00YjNhLTkxMTUtNDk1Yzg2MDFhNzczXC9kZXZiM3RqLTM4OTNmMDc5LTU1ZWMtNDQxMC04MjIxLTQwNWUzNGEwOGE2Yy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.1rHwUCFgwzY3VNRKQXxUrIxRxT_PK6CJAwUWxiB6_ok

I needed a brief break from my Trek modeling, so I'd dusted off my YT-1300 mesh and realized there was a lot of clean up from importing in from Truespace and it would take me longer to clean up the main hold I'd built rather than start fresh, so I started fresh in Blender for Artists. I'm not done with the maintenance pit but I'll share when I get more junk in there.

Anyway, the raised flooring in the main hold is done. Need to put the under-flooring in and the maintenance pit and then I'll start on the walls.

Built and rendered in Blender For Artists 2
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryxiaorobearStarCruiserscifiericAel's
    mcquarrie_falcon_wip_01_by_ashleytinger_dfnz970-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTY5MSIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGZuejk3MC1lNTA3Mzc3ZC0zYmNlLTQwYzctYmIyZi00YjRlYTQ4MDU0NDUuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.e1woFNMZ05wURprf7Yfr_5heBowMNTzABtBR3pCISEk

I have been binging a lot of Clone Wars for some Ahsoka story-telling and then picked up Rebels and am well into season 4, so I went looking to see if anyone had built a Ralph McQuarrie inspired version of the Falcon as his paintings were slightly different than what we got on screen. Rebels designs are of course taken from a lot of McQuarrie's preliminary artwork for a lot of the look of the show and while there are a few half-starts for a 3D version and some kitbash's using the Lando version of the Falcon from Solo, I decided it would be fun to have a full size version to play with for DAZ and my toons. So I extrapolated on what they'd initially sketched for the interior of the Falcon as well as what Stinson Lenz had set-up on his site, I've gone full steam ahead in fleshing out my own version.

I'm not going to be as lightly detailed as a Rebels version, but I'm going to take some design queues from the Ghost in Rebels as far as detailing and then punch it up a bit as well as try to follow what was in the original paintings for the ship. I have re-designed the rear landing gear 'flaps' to be regular landing gear instead but I'm including the flaps outside of that for access to ship's systems. Other than that, so far I've stuck pretty close with the proportions on the exterior, I think. And now that the interior is laid out and fits inside the hull, I can take turns detailing the outside of the ship and the inside.

I did carry over some parts from the stalled YT-1300 build I'd been working on with corridor parts and the main console in the cockpit along with the chairs. Not sure how much else is coming over.
    evil_genius_180wibbleLizzy777xiaorobearscifiericStarCruiserAel's
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice. Always nice to see some SW animation inspired work. I'm in Season 4 of Clone Wars.
    ashleytingerscifieric
    Nice. Always nice to see some SW animation inspired work. I'm in Season 4 of Clone Wars.

I'd cobbled a list together of Ahsoka episodes and the 'essential' Rebels episodes. I've watched CW a few times now so I wanted to go through it a bit more abridged. Rebels I was more curious what episodes could be dropped and still have it be a decent enough flow. Rebels ends up being like Babylon 5. You can't drop many episodes in season 4 but there's a bunch in 1 and fewer in 2 and 3.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    The farthest I made it in Clone Wars previously was into season 3 because it was removed from Netflix. That prompted me to buy the blu-rays. I've only seen season 1 of Rebels. So, needless to say, I have some catching up to do before the Ahsoka show starts. ;)
    scifieric
    The farthest I made it in Clone Wars previously was into season 3 because it was removed from Netflix. That prompted me to buy the blu-rays. I've only seen season 1 of Rebels. So, needless to say, I have some catching up to do before the Ahsoka show starts. ;)

Both Clone Wars and Rebels kind of start off in a lighter tone and get a LOT more serious as they go on. Hell if you intercut the last 4 episodes of Clone Wars with Revenge of the Sith, the tone and everything is spot on.
    scifiericTallguy
    Yeah, I noticed that with both shows. I haven't watched Rebels in years, but I remember it getting a much more grown up tone later in season 1. Clone Wars definitely went that route too, especially when they had Ahsoka grow up a bit in season 3. She started acting more like an adult and the show kind of took on a more adult tone.
    Yeah, I noticed that with both shows. I haven't watched Rebels in years, but I remember it getting a much more grown up tone later in season 1. Clone Wars definitely went that route too, especially when they had Ahsoka grow up a bit in season 3. She started acting more like an adult and the show kind of took on a more adult tone.

Just hit Rebels episode 10 of season 4... I need some tissues.
    Lizzy777Tallguy
    Finished off Rebels while working on this and packing for my cruise next week. ;) More tears. All good.

mcquarrie_falcon_wip_02_by_ashleytinger_dfo912e-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTk3NyIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGZvOTEyZS0zNWFhMWYzNS1jZTc2LTQ1NTUtOTQzOC03OTVmNTAzY2RkNWIuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.mUALRyBF4_6IxhclI5Gd9EW4gXeCPYzUhDmCGVPOQes

More work on the McQuarrie falcon continues. Probably the bigger modeling challenge of this was figuring out how to do the boarding ramp and get it close to the concept art but make it work. I also wanted the airlock on either side of the long corridor to be functional and drew some inspiration from the Ghost to get there but kept some of the detailing McQuarrie had in his paintings. I may end up putting a cover over the top of what I've got there to match the McQuarrie painting but we're not there yet. So here's what I've worked on since last:

Airlocks - either side - exterior detailing and basic geometry done (built it on the starboard and copied to port)

Exterior midships reinforcement - The basic shapes are done, they don't cut into the interior and fit snugly on the saucer

Saucer Rim equipment covers - started getting spacing done on those at least on the aft

Boarding ramp - this thing is fully detailed now with 'working' hydraulics and I cut up the deck plating for it to work. This is probably the most complicated part of the build

Boarding Ramp Covers - I'm working out how I want to have them work so they're just placeholders for now. They'll either drop down or slide side to side.

Cockpit - Used Solidify to take it from being a thin wafer wall to being a little over 2 inches thick all around. Also did some massive cleanup on the geometry that Solidify broke and gave it some glass. Still some geo to clean up but it also needs detailing inside and out
    scifiericevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibbleAel's
    It's always nice to see variations of iconic ships. :)