Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DViper's miscellaneous Star Trek projects

1789101113»

• ViperViper1677 Posts: 716Administrator
    I posted the TOS Connie over in the finished section for anyone that is interested. Now to pick the next one, hmmmm....
    ChiefBrex wrote: »
    Anyway you could show me? I understand what it is you're explaining, but it's hard for me to picture. That would help me understand, because I'm doing a DSC/TOS Connie, and would like to be able to make that plate appearance!

Certainly, as soon as my internet is not so crap :grimace:
    ChiefBrex
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    edited February 2021 #363
    Too many people on the next Viper!

Edit - I have no idea what I was on when I typed this. But I think I meant to say no rush.... <_<;
    Post edited by ChiefBrex on
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Maybe some ships from Sternbach’s Chronology?

The hyperwarp ships towards the end, perhaps.

No one has done those.
    Viper
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    MKF is working on an Atolm design, maybe one of those? I quite like the USS Jean-Luc Picard.
    ViperBolianAdmiral
    Standing among giants
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    Echoing all the rest - this is just a great image. I really love the subtle chromatic glints on the bright areas. Compositing plugin or something in your renderer? The spot lights on the nacelles and engineering section are also a nice touch.
    Viperpubliusr
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    @publiusr & @Loophole: Actually, it's probably going to be a canon design. I'm thinking Oberth right now, but haven't made a decision yet. For non canon, I have a couple idea of my own that I could work on.

Echoing all the rest - this is just a great image. I really love the subtle chromatic glints on the bright areas. Compositing plugin or something in your renderer? The spot lights on the nacelles and engineering section are also a nice touch.

Thanks! Just Vray glare does its work :)

@ChiefBrex: Ok, so super quick explanation. Create a plane, give it plenty of divisions. The size of the square will determine the size of the holes. You can play around with make it rectangles for different looks:
    pgo74xduta7y.jpg

Select the polygons that correspond to holes you want to have:
    z7ldqagj48z5.jpg

After that, just delete the polygons and apply a turbosmooth/subdivide modifier:
    dkwrrftlyv4r.jpg

Then add a shell/solidify to give it some thickness. Could also select all faces and extrude, as long as you don't need the back polygons. On the one on the right, I also added a bevel/chamfer to all edges:
    vhm9x2q6eooq.jpg

That's it :) The good thing is that since it's all quads, you can pretty much do anything. You can do a curved grill, or any other shape as long as the polygon size doesn't change too much. For instance, here on the second one I did it on a cylinder:
    er4d45rxo9hs.jpg

Bonus points, give it a cool material and do a nice render :)
    smchvhcobucg.jpg
    ComcolewisnivenLizzy777ChiefBrexlennier1wolfmanashleytingerRekkertMustang13Camaro68wibble
    Thanks Viper! This is a huge. Being able to see it makes sooo much sense. I think what I might do is delete the polies in place right now, and create a plane, like you recommended. Would certainly be easier than boolean!
    Viper
    Thanks Viper! This is a huge. Being able to see it makes sooo much sense. I think what I might do is delete the polies in place right now, and create a plane, like you recommended. Would certainly be easier than boolean!

Anytime :) These days, anything I can do to avoid having to boolean stuff, I'm all for it.
    Viper wrote: »

Anytime :) These days, anything I can do to avoid having to boolean stuff, I'm all for it.

Do you have a quick way of selecting the edges/faces that are chamfered/beveled. It's taking forever to get them selected lol

Do you have a quick way of selecting the edges/faces that are chamfered/beveled. It's taking forever to get them selected lol

What software are you using? In 3ds max I can just chamfer by smoothing groups, and those get auto assigned when doing the shell modifier. You might need to ask around if it's another software.

What software are you using? In 3ds max I can just chamfer by smoothing groups, and those get auto assigned when doing the shell modifier. You might need to ask around if it's another software.

I'm using 3DS Max.I didn't think about the smoothing groups.
    So in keeping with the current theme of actually finishing projects for a change, I spend the weekend fixing a few things and then adding the finishing touches on my TMP shuttle. Missing RCS ports and the engines at the back plus a few small bits, but very close to done.

galileo025.jpg
    galileo026.jpg
    RekkertkadenFreakrojrenMcClewisnivenashleytingerLoopholeLizzy777ChiefBrexand 3 others.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    I have always loved that shuttle design. I like the wear and tear look on it too.
    Viper
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    That looks really good Viper. Just curious, what font did you use for the name Asimov?
    Viper
    I have always loved that shuttle design. I like the wear and tear look on it too.

Thanks :) I have a couple of other small craft I'm working on. Hopefully progress on those soon. I know the dirty look is probably not what would happen in a starfleet ship, but what the hell? :smiley:
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    That looks really good Viper. Just curious, what font did you use for the name Asimov?

Thanks! I used a font called Palm Canyon Drive Heavy. It has a similar style than the lettering used on Final Frontier but the uppercase letters are not a very good match. Since I'm not doing the Galileo for now, this works nicely :)
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Looking good!
    Viper
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member

Thanks :) I have a couple of other small craft I'm working on. Hopefully progress on those soon. I know the dirty look is probably not what would happen in a starfleet ship, but what the hell? :smiley:
    Tralfaz wrote: »

Thanks! I used a font called Palm Canyon Drive Heavy. It has a similar style than the lettering used on Final Frontier but the uppercase letters are not a very good match. Since I'm not doing the Galileo for now, this works nicely :)

For a Starfleet shuttle? Oh it would absolutely fit in, especially if it's been out and about. As pristine as the Trek ships were in the shows, I doubt they'd be THAT nitpicky in reality. I figure they'd get a new coat or paint or what-not when they get a complete overhaul after so many hours of operations, but in between then the shuttles would definitely take a beating. Hell as good as the cruise lines are their tenders often look used, because they are, and Cruise lines stay on top of that stuff all the time.
    Viper
    Yeah, I guess you are right :) Anyway, this is super easy to dial back if I need a more pristine version. Can't also make it even dirtier, heh.
    I had no internet yesterday, so I took the opportunity to finish the shuttle. There were some wrong things in the UV map, so I fixed those and added the RCS thrusters. That meant I had to retexture the entire shuttle, but I think it looks even better. Here are a few renders:
    galileo030.jpg
    galileo029.jpg

And then in a hangar setting, sort of:
    galileo031.jpg
    galileo032.jpg
    McCLoopholelewisnivenashleytingerkadenLizzy777raztovFreakLeoBerlinwibbleand 1 other.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I usually think that future tech would make stuff like scrapes a thing of the past, but other than that which is a personal preference, I love this. The modeling and materials look on point!
    Viper
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited February 2021 #382
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I usually think that future tech would make stuff like scrapes a thing of the past, but other than that which is a personal preference, I love this. The modeling and materials look on point!

Thanks! I think for the starships the pristine look makes more sense, but for shuttles that perform atmospheric flight, a bit of dirt and damage work well :)
    Post edited by Viper on
    Rekkert
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Rekkert wrote: »

Thanks! I think for the starships the pristine look makes more sense, but for shuttles that perform atmospheric flight, a bit of dirt and damage work well :)

Well, it's perfect if it was the shuttle that crash landed in the shuttlebay in TFF. =)

Looks great!
    Resurrecting this thread as well. Starting with the TOS Connie. I updated the materials for the bussards recently and also did some changes to the saucer textures. Here's a quick render:

tos-constitution98.png
    wibblerojrenbacksteptevil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerLizzy777StarshipSCE2AuxBolianAdmiraland 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    She's a beauty. I love how you did the bussards. The subtle paneling is nice too.
    Viper
  • backsteptbackstept2003 Posts: 916Member
    Can't get enough of the 1701!
    Viper
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,279Member
    Beautiful, especially as a contrast to the update Hunter recently finished.
    The classic and the idea of an updated version, both done justice!
    Viper
    This project has been stalled for years, but I came across some new reference for the workbee which made me want to take a look at my file for it. So I fixed a few things and started working on it again. Will try to get it done soon.

workbee18.png
    workbee19.png
    PreVizbacksteptashleytingerevil_genius_180SCE2AuxStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorwibble
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice. I've always been a fan of these. They come from the "let's make it realistic" days of TMP, where they added a lot of realistic touches to the Starfleet tech. A little vehicle like this would be essential to making repairs in space, much like how mini subs are used in the ocean.