Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    This is coming along nicely. The "Constellationized" Excelsior model is a nice touch. I hope its stand is more sturdy than the AMT model's!
    Rekkertscifieric
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    AMAZING WORK REKKERT!
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I seriously love this ready room.
    Rekkert
  • DoctorShmullusDoctorShmullus54 Posts: 37Member
    Great work so far! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I love how its visibly distinct yet so fitting with the ready rooms we've seen on screen.
    Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @Warp Propulsion Laboratory: lol, that AMT stand was a pain, the model always seemed to slip away.

@ChiefBrex: THANK YOU! :p

@BolianAdmiral: Glad you do!

@DoctorShmullus: Thanks! It's a balance, sometimes I feel I'm leaning to heavily on what we see on screen, sometimes I feel I'm going too far away from it.

Spent a long while looking at space art and I settled on a couple of pieces for the ready room. I wanted to find not only pieces that would fit but also that would be okey for me to use.

Above the large sofa I've placed a painting of the Phoenix done by Mark McHaley for the book 'Star Trek: Federation – The First 150 Years'. On the opposite wall, above the desk, there's a smaller piece done by Davis Paul Meltzer for NASA, depicting the Apollo-Soyuz joint mission. I think both fit in as historic moments where humanity grew closer than it was before.

I've also placed a small shelf into the wall between this last painting and the desk, where I'll be putting some space race inspired memorabilia. Mostly Soviet style, the ship is called Potemkin after all.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-05c.jpg?1613855119
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-02e.jpg?1613855111
    LeoBerlinashleytingerBolianAdmiralLizzy777JMP11FreakDoctorShmullussolaremesCaptain Serekscifieric
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Very, VERY nice.
    Rekkertscifieric
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    This is coming along quite nicely. Can’t wait to see the finished renders!🖖🏾
    Rekkert
    I want to live in that ready room.
    Rekkert
    Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you're all liking seeing this one come together!

Did some work on the window wall, repeating the pattern seen on the rest of the room. I've still got to add more detail to the window frame itself.
    I've also added a new (admittedly quite simple) plant, and started with the decorations. Also, I've changed the ceiling spotlights to smaller, warmer versions.
    Also, I'm having second thoughts about the shelf I added above the desk, it's way too long and due to the shape of the desk itself the items in the middle wouldn't be easy to reach and grab. I might end up removing it all together and leaving just the painting on that wall, and add some trinkets onto the desk itself.

tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1613903979
    raztovWarp Propulsion LaboratoryCaptain SerekBolianAdmiralJMP11FreakDoctorShmullusLizzy777solaremeslewisnivenand 1 other.
  • Captain SerekCaptain Serek419 Burbank CaliforniaPosts: 90Member
    Nice work as always.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
    Okey, as it usually happens, I had a new idea and thus proceeded to discard what I was planning on doing in favor of the new shiny thing...

Doing some research I stumbled into some Russian sword designs from the time of Grigory Potemkin, and the size and overall shape was kinda a perfect match for that shelf atop the desk. So, I ended up unexpectedly doing a 3D sword today, including some new procedural materials to simulate old metals and leather. Nothing too fancy or time consuming, but I think it works.

I modified the shelf to include some protective glass (so that a visiting alien can't just grab the sword, even though its use as a weapon would be limited). The question now is if it fits into the room with the rest of the decor, as it has nothing to do with the rest of the space oriented elements. What do you think? Does it work, or is it too disjointed or too mirror universe?

Also, yes I modeled the blade itself, it's just covered by the sheath. I experimented with several displays options, but I think it looks better this way.

tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1613984765
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-06.jpg?1613984758
    BolianAdmiralFreakrojrenDoctorShmullusJMP11Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratorysolaremesCaptain Serekscifieric
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    It looks cool. Doesn't matter if it "feels" more fitting for the Mirror Universe. More touches that relate to the name of the ship makes sense, regardless of universe.
    DoctorShmullusRekkertscifieric
    I agree with @darkthunder that it makes sense to have objects that relate to the vessel itself. Perhaps the sword has been passed down from captain to captain serving aboard the Potemkin?

Nevertheless the ready room is turning out fantastic! It’s a lot of fun to follow along in the creative process, and for me personally the great amount of thought that goes into each room has made me appreciate your work even more.
    darkthunderRekkertscifieric
    I don't think it makes it feel mirror universe. My father's office has all this farming paraphernalia all around it and then has our relatives Civil War horse saddle, blades, and pistol mounted on the wall. It's history and something that the Captain could be into, or just honoring the namesake of the ship.
    darkthunderRekkertDoctorShmullusscifieric
    Nice progress so far.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    Personally, I might like it displayed vertically, but I think it’s a good addition!
    Rekkert
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Dude, the addition of the sword is a nice fit for the Potemkin ready room. As a retiree of the military I have memorabilia in my Man-Cave (Ready Room) to represent my time in the service. Don’t change a thing! 🖖🏾
    Rekkertscifieric
    edited February 2021 #3169

Okey, then the sword is staying haha. I've added a light inside the shelf so that it's more visible, plus I added some more details to the sword itself. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@JMP11: I toyed with the idea of having the sword hanged from the wall above the ship model at 45º, but in the end I felt that wall really didn't needed something extra, plus I would've had to find something else for the shelf again!

Other than the sword update, I've modeled a little era-appropriate tea cup (I actually have one of these, as my grandmother had a set by pure coincidence), and added some more props on the desk. And I've finished detailing the window, with inspiration taken from both the TNG observation lounge and ready room windows.

I still got to decide what to do on the empty area between the door and the sofa, I might just add another plant.

tadeo-d-oria-c9-01.jpg?1614059769
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1614059761
    tadeo-d-oria-c10-01.jpg?1614059777
    tadeo-d-oria-c11-01.jpg?1614059785
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    solaremesashleytingerJMP11DoctorShmullusraztovBolianAdmiralLizzy777Captain Serekscifieric
  • solaremessolaremes27 Posts: 22Member
    Very nice updates in the meantime! Looking forward to the finished ready room!
    Rekkert
    edited February 2021 #3171
    I'm glad to hear that the sword is staying! As for that empty space, maybe placing a pedestal in the corner wouldn't be a bad idea? You could still have a plant on top, but using a pedestal or something similar would make that side of the room less uniform which in my opinion is a good thing.
    Post edited by DoctorShmullus on
    Rekkert
    I don't know that you need to add anything. Room looks great and appropriately cluttered. ;)
    Rekkert
    Nice update.
    Rekkert
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Maybe something like this next to the sofa? Replacing the 2nd end table:

hsufli3ax7mp.jpg

Specifically Picard's "book stand", but with a book more befitting the namesake of the ship?
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    You know, you could reuse the bulkheads here for the USS Phoenix ready room, which has the same kind of bulkheads (but a different viewport).
    Rekkert
    edited February 2021 #3176
    @solaremes: Thanks!

@DoctorShmullus: Tried that, I don't like how it looks, as there's already a pedestal on the other side of the door, where the model ship is placed.

@ashleytinger: Yeah, but I'm always thinking there could be more stuff! :p

@Captain Serek: Thanks!

@darkthunder: I want to avoid direct allusion to canon ready rooms, so other than the model ship I'm purposely avoiding having the same type of props they have.

@Rusty0918: Yes, that's where I got these walls from. The measurements are totally different though, it's just evocative of the design more than anything else. :)

Spent the day modeling several dead ends for the final corner of the room. I thought about extending the sofa side table so that it curves along the wall, and I modeled several large props to fit into that place; but in the end I didn't like how any of them looked like. Here are the ones that I tried and got mostly done: a Sputnik sculpture loosely based on Soviet stuff, a Kal-toh set, and this weird sculpture. There were others but I deleted them in frustration. These I will keep but won't use on this set, maybe they'll be useful in a future room.

tadeo-d-oria-c13-01.jpg?1614155239

In the end, I removed that whole new extended side table and went back to the rectangular one, and I just bit the bullet and modeled a somewhat passable Soyuz model, and I reused the stand of the Sputnik sculpture for it. I think now the room is indeed finished, there is some empty space there next to the table, but as it's just by the door it might as well be useful for when several people try to enter or exit the room at the same time. Unless I can think of something I'd like to put there, of course. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tadeo-d-oria-c12-01.jpg?1614155230
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    DoctorShmullusLizzy777ashleytingerBolianAdmiralCaptain SerekFreak
    Nice work with that Soyuz model, it looks really cool. I think you’ve made a good call with that corner, leaving it empty has a function after all.
    Rekkert
    Nice update, keep up the good work.
    Rekkert
  • richiewilchrichiewilch57 Posts: 41Member
    I think the bridge discrepancy is just another one of those examples where the interiors don't match the model. Would it work if the bridge itself was more sunk into the ship? There is no direct view port out of the bridge roof, as we had with the Enterprise D, perhaps there is something above the bridge, beyond simply the lighting fixtures?

Also, probably a bit late to the party on the sword/trinkets debate, but I'd say that it doesn't matter if they relate to the name of the ship or not. Obviously, it's cool that they do, but the Captain's ready room would be reflective of them, rather than the ship. Picard had the Constellation model to represent the Stargazer, and his Shakespeare works because of his interest in them. When Jellicho took Command, he didn't keep the same trinkets that were already there, like having Livingston removed, and hanging up drawings by his son.

I like the decoration used, I think it all works great, but what things would be important to the Captain? I think that if I was to also use this to represent Kumari, we may have to discuss a redress =)
    Rekkert
    It’s amazing how many Soviet trinkets you’ve made here, as I have been thinking about doing the exact same for Captain Nikolayev’s Ready-Room on the Frontier. But I agree that it should always be factored in just how much the items mean to the person, and/or how much they relate to the ship. I tend to factor also just how much time a given Captain actually spends in the Ready-Room. I tend to think of the RR as an analog to an office cubicle... there are probably a few photos of family, maybe a certificate or two framed, and maybe a few trinkets like a small model or toy, or whatever. Just enough stuff to give it a touch of personality and humanity. The rest of the real meaningful and personal items are in the Captain’s quarters,or someone’s home.

I see that you have an actual painting in the room, and I actually wanted to ask you in an email about this, but I’ll ask you here... when you take an image from online of a real painting like that, I’m assuming it has to be a very high resolution, right? Because otherwise, if you render an image of a set with it beyond a certain resolution, the painting image would appear pixelated, right? Also, does using an actual image of a painting like that affect or place any limitations on what angles you can render the set at, to avoid the painting image looking distorted?
    Rekkert
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I've been through like the last 15 pages and my mind has been blown away. EXCELLENT work!
    Rekkert