Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DChiefBrex's Model Thread

• ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    This is for @Rekkert, who asked to see the first ever bridge interior I built. It's still a work in progress because it's not finished. But feel free to provide feedback!

This is the Rigel Class bridge. It was originally intended to go with my Rigel Class model for Bridge Commander.

SKa0uHtl.jpg

7NL5NyXl.jpg

P5GREdXl.jpg

vOHAO7bl.jpg

XHY9AqFl.jpg

I've got more images that show close ups from different angles, but they're also from different stages of the textures.
    Lizzy777JES
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Wow, that looks great! From the unique layout, to the little status display in front of the captain, I love everything about this! Hope you're able to finish it one day. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • PhilArtPhilArt172 Posts: 22Member
    I know I'm late to the game, but I love how the saucer tapers into the neck and creates that sort of cowl over the shuttlebay area at the back.
    @Rekkert At this stage, it's the LCARS panels that need finishing up, and I need assistance in that regard. I never learned how to make proper LCARS panels.

@PhilArt Thanks for the compliment! I like the shape too, but it's going to be a bitch to find a way to "meld" the tapering and the lower half of the secondary hull to make the shuttlebay area.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That's a really nice looking ship and model. I may have missed it, but are you keeping the current nacelle pylons? The ones you have now kill the flow of the hull. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Brex, I very vaguely remember that bridge. It's a good one.
    @Vortex5972 those nacelle pylons are intended to look that way. What's missing is the part of the secondary hull that wraps around the base of the pylons and flows into the shuttlebay area. That's probably what's "killing the flow" of the design.

Update renders. I'm showing off the full model & then close ups of the bridge.

Angled Front Dorsal View:
    REQlSI2l.jpg

Angled Aft Dorsal View:
    i8eViS5l.jpg
    I still need to finish the aft shuttlebay. I need to figure out the best way the meld the end of the taper to the secondary hull, and that flow into the shuttlebay itself, like my sketch on the front page shows it does.

Angled Ventral View:
    ZFN7zLil.jpg
    The deflector and torpedo bays are going to get reconfigured completely. I'm not happy with either. Plus, I need someone to teach me how to make torpedo greebles like they have on the TMP Connie.

Full Dorsal View:
    1mxxtObl.jpg

Front View:
    QFBUKz7l.jpg
    The placeholder is too big, so it's pushing the bridge up above the nacelles, when it's really in line with them. I'm working on the scaling of the decks, to make it clear that this thing only has 20 decks. But, if the scaling between the bridge and the rest of the ship doesn't work, then the ship will have between 20 and 26 decks. I'm willing to fudge the specs in that regard.

Starboard View:
    Fd6xOkxl.jpg
    See the above note under Front View

Bridge Close-up:
    I1vHpHol.jpg
    I'm pretty happy with the bridge so far. There's a few greebles I've still got to figure out how I want them to look. Once those are figured out, I'm going to start collapsing this part of the ship into a single mesh. The turboshafts and life boats, oddly enough, helped with improving the scaling on this thing...
    Lizzy777Brandenbergcount23JES
    Update on the bridge mesh.

w0pmOprl.jpg

I made a few tweaks here and there. It's starting to look really good. But the problem now is that the side bits of the Y-overlay, are too low poly. Chamfering only makes a mess, as does MeshSmooth & TurboSmooth. Not sure what to do to try and fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is willing to help me figure it out?
    Lizzy777BrandenbergashleytingerJES
    Alright, so, added some more details and managed to collapse the entire thing into a single mesh. I'm in the process of cleaning up all the extra verts and pulling and pushing them back into alignment to fix some of the smoothing artifacts that have cropped up now, but over all, I'm happy with the way this bridge looks at the moment. The plan is to add some more paneling greebles and then finish up by adding the windows, which will then lead to the building of interiors.

e0yVoOCl.jpg

MgWWXZql.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777P5ych0p4thRekkertBrandenbergJES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The bridge is looking really nice so far.
    Hey all!!!!

Sorry for the lack of updates. Life's been busy (re: work), and then I was tweaking the Poseidon Class bridge module and really wasn't getting the results I wanted, so back tracking on it a little bit. Decided to take a break and try my hand at another starship design, the Intrepid Class. This is mostly to get practice with Max 2020, and refresh my memory on some of the tools. Anyway... take a look at what I have so far:

K9kHnG5l.jpg
    evil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777P5ych0p4thBrandenbergJES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks like a nice start. :)
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Very nice!

I'm thinking that maybe the 'B/C deck should be tapered like the hull, or at least stretched-out forward a bit.
    srspicer wrote: »
    Very nice!

I'm thinking that maybe the 'B/C deck should be tapered like the hull, or at least stretched-out forward a bit.

That's kinda what I'm trying to accomplish, but it's easier said than done lol
    -dusts off this thread-

Hey all. It's been some time since I've posted in here. And I do apologize for the double post back (but no one responded after my last one, so can't be avoided).

Anyway - getting back into this with the Poseidon & Intrepid. Also looking at doing a NX Class model. But, in order to get my skills back up to speed, I've been working on a TOS Connie. But, I'm taking my own spin on it. It's a combination of Discovery and TOS Enterprises. I'm taking the aspects of both that I like and seeing how well they mesh together. So far I'm liking the results. Things I've already decided to redo:

- Saucer - needs more polies.
    - Deck 2 - Instead of going with the teardrop shape, I'm going to change it to look a little bit more like The Motion Picture Deck 2, at least on the back end. I'm trying to find a balance between TOS and Discovery and see how it goes. It's also my plan to also build some interiors to go with the mesh, so that you can see inside some of the rooms.

After look at some of the other TOS models here, I'm definitely going to be upping the level of detail on my model. I want it to be worthy of the great work that's being done here. Anyway - feel free to comment and make suggestions!

0JnBz6c.jpg

80eUcjh.jpg
    RekkertLizzy777JESpubliusr
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Welcome back! That Connie's looking good, will be interesting to see how the two styles combine.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • NebulaNebula342 MichiganPosts: 43Member
    Very nice Man!
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Welcome back! That Connie's looking good, will be interesting to see how the two styles combine.

Thank you! I've missed checking out your work too!
    edited February 2021 #49
    Updates on my DSC/TOS Connie hybrid. There are some mesh errors I need to tackle and some adjustments I need to make. I tried to go with a Deck 2 module that was more like TMP, but it just didn't work, not with the TOS bridge module, so I stuck with the original Deck 2 shape. I did fix the saucer so it was higher poly to smooth out the the shape. Worked a little on the nacelles and secondary hull. I'm really liking the direction it's taking. Feedback is appreciated.

8Fp7rV9m.jpg

lfEXZ31m.jpg

alEnRgvm.jpg

WVzInZim.jpg

3YbUC3sm.jpg
    Post edited by ChiefBrex on
    RekkertLoopholeLizzy777JES
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    The grid lines are a little heavy for my tastes, but the model is looking great. What are you thinking for the torpedo launcher? Personally I'd go with something akin to TMP to make the neck flat and boring. You could maybe pull that area from the JJPrise if you want to keep the current neck form.
    I was thinking a TMP-style launcher at the base of the neck, right above where it joins the secondary hull. I can try slimming the shield grid, but the lines were already relatively small in terms of scale. It may look heavier because of the lighting, but I can try and see what it looks like with adjusted values.
    edited February 2021 #52
    Here's some updates. I redid the grid lines on the saucer. Not sure I'm happy with the saucer yet. May backtrack it and redo it one more time. Trying to get just the right look.

S5CTacSl.jpg
    ucj0cRjl.jpg
    3kxZyHMl.jpg
    Post edited by ChiefBrex on
    LoopholescifiericLizzy777JES
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    You should go post this on the discord, by my count there's 4 connie classics competing for "who can finish first" at the moment :P you can trade notes.

Heh, but excellent work so far, are you subding the hull or just boolean cutting the various elements?
    scifieric
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    count23 wrote: »
    You should go post this on the discord, by my count there's 4 connie classics competing for "who can finish first" at the moment :P you can trade notes.

Heh, but excellent work so far, are you subding the hull or just boolean cutting the various elements?

Using Boolean, but need to start practicing with subding. I'm sure it's a better method of combining parts. Especially since they updated the Boolean tool to where I can't tell it to delete the object that's being added to the main component. I'm also concerned that I'm being too conservative with polies, given the quality of models from other posters.
    Here's an update. I redid the saucer, I was able to also modify the Deck 2 area. I squished it in height and also pushed the back end up so that it made it flatter and wider. Now I can add windows to it. I'm satisfied with the way the Impulse Deck is shaping up. Based on the images of the Discovery-era Enterprise, it looks like they're suggesting that there's an airlock between the two impulse decks, as opposed to the torpedo launcher that was suggested to be there in the ENT episode "In a Mirror, Darkly - Part II". So I'm debating on what to put there. The other views kind of give you an idea of what the scale of the new Impulse Deck is compared to the rest of the ship.

Impulse Deck as seen from an angled aft view:
    hlNY2W5.jpg

Here's the impulse deck close-up:
    3oyDZ8B.jpg

And here's the Dorsal, Aft, and Starboard views:
    sR0nAbR.jpg

xp8HPhP.jpg

FIYWOXn.jpg

Feedback as always is appreciated. Haven't had a chance to work with Subding any part of the mesh yet. I keep forgetting to start with a basic shape and use Subd to shape it, like I did on the Poseidon's bridge module.
    LoopholeFreakJESLizzy777
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Looks like you're off to a good start. Though I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the old Connie. The DSC version isn't necessarily "bad", but they didn't really have to do much in redesigning her. Just improved lighting.
    ChiefBrex
  • NebulaNebula342 MichiganPosts: 43Member
    Love how this is turning out.
    DSC Prise has the elements the TOS one needed.
    ChiefBrex
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Maybe make the warp pylons wider—just a tad.
    Make the impulse deck narrower towards the bottom...more V shaped, but with Kelvin impulse grids within.
  • Phantom MenacePhantom Menace33 Posts: 12Member
    I really like the balance of familiar and different in the Poseiden class, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the aft section.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Oh, nice. Somehow I missed your thread :) I actually had a similar idea as you. Apply the details of he Disco version into the original. But I couldn't bring myself to not do the original at all.
    So, I took a few days to do some refinements. I worked on the saucer. And started booleaning pieces together. Most of the basics are in place.

oZdRPem.png

fUpPJOI.png

KnBtrYi.png

I'm trying to decide what to do with these greebles. They're low poly, so I'll need to redo them, if I want to get them higher quality, unless someone knows of a trick that I can use without having to start from scratch?
    QzyY6TN.png
    LoopholeLizzy777Freak