Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMercy Class Hospital Ship

Phantom MenacePhantom Menace33 Posts: 12Member
edited February 2021 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all,

I've been working in Blender for a couple years on my own, originally with only 3D printing as the goal. My current aim is to become much more proficient with textures, lighting, and camera work with the goal of producing a movie-quality model.

I'll be doing so with my model of the Mercy Class Hospital Ship. I've got the basic shape of the primary and secondary hulls. The nacelles are placeholders. I think my next step will be to model the shapes building up to the bridge module.
s5frqq3cjegn.png
pkqnviw6qvax.png
kgke6f860mzt.png

Length: 240 meters
Decks: 10-11
Armament: six phasers, two torpedo tubes
Time period: post-Voyager, pre-Star Trek: Picard
Post edited by Phantom Menace on
Lizzy777BolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion LaboratoryJESDannage
Tagged:

• Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Looks good! I like how the deflector cutout is embedded in the saucer rim.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • ParticleJamParticleJam0 Posts: 2Member
    First time post - I made an account just to express how excited I am about this design. I've been thinking of a fanfic story set on a Starfleet hospital ship, working on an outline and details, and your design is much better than the one I came up with. I'm going to be following your work for sure! Beautiful and sleek design, I like it a lot.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Usually, there's several views where the ship looks good, with one problematic profile that looks less than ideal. This one looks pretty good from all sides.
    BolianAdmiral
  • Phantom MenacePhantom Menace33 Posts: 12Member
    Thank you all for the comments!

WPL, I've been watching your Sovereign videos on YouTube.

Just some noodling I've been doing over the past day: I'm thinking of taking a cue from the design of the USS Archer from Renegades by surrounding the bridge island with a built up area. I've started mentally working on the nacelles, and I'm thinking of two bulges for the bussards that will blend into a single flattened cylinder for the body. Finally, I've decided I'll take advantage of the area where the pylons attach to the body to place the impulse engines.
    First time post - I made an account just to express how excited I am about this design. I've been thinking of a fanfic story set on a Starfleet hospital ship, working on an outline and details, and your design is much better than the one I came up with. I'm going to be following your work for sure! Beautiful and sleek design, I like it a lot.

Very cool! Were there any features you were particularly interested in incorporating into your design? I'll honestly say I haven't given a lot of thought to what makes this design particularly useful for medical use aside from the shuttlebay. Its large size relative to the size of the ship is for medical evacuation, and I intentionally made it large enough to accommodate Danube Class Runabouts. In my mind the shuttlebay is ringed by triage and ER facilities and connects directly to the main sickbay. Other than that, the ship will have landing capability, and some of the flat surface behind the shuttle bay can be used as a field hospital.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    This is what Enterprise E needed to be...the Sovereign as Titan...
    edited February 2021 #7
    This is at least where I'm going with the bridge island.
    goukkt52ingj.png

The notch at the front has the forward torpedo/probe launcher and will get some sensor palettes/greeblies. Like the bridge, the notch may change. Edit: Yeah, already changed the notch to be curved rather than square.
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryJESpubliusr
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I always thought it would be cool if a hospital ship had a detachable "quarantine hospital" which would be independent from the rest of the ship to avoid an ENT: "Observer Effect" situation. Kind of like a huge shuttlecraft built into the hull. I guess this whole COVID thing was the inspiration for that.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    I've got some details on the bridge done, and I've added some different materials to differentiate parts. The nacelles are not final and are merely the most recent version I've ended with.

afb24aix3rye.png
    Lizzy777JES
    Work continues. I've added some paneling behind the bridge, windows for the forward lounge, airlocks on the starboard and port sides of the saucer, and nacelles are more what I'm going for. I've also done some work on the impulse engines.

q2qbe6zb1bry.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryChiefBrexJESLizzy777
    I might have put the torpedo cut out on the underside of the saucer.

I actually like the round nacelles. Cerritos brought the look back.
    I've done a little more work on the nacelles, cut out a secondary deflector, cut out chunks for RCS thrusters, added grooves for lateral sensors around the saucer, and added phaser strips. I reduced the number of phasers down to four. The other two are on the dorsal side, one directly above the one under the lip of the saucer, and the other far aft, on a raised island on the fantail.

975o3p86v94d.png
    Lizzy777
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Looks nice. Although I look at those nacelle caps, and can't help from seeing Eagle cockpit modules.
  • erionmarina45erionmarina45-10 Posts: 14Member
    Ok good
    I added RCS thrusters on the saucer, some sensor strips, and some escape pods.
    s5frqq3cjegn.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Nice. I am just learning Blender, but I'm still at the 'there's a cube...now it's a cube with some bits..." stage...

Are my eyes going funny or are your Nacelles closer together at the front than at the back in that last shot? It's making me dizzy... ;)

Nice work though. Front view looks super nifty and I like what you've done with the secondary hull tapering into the saucer. I don't think I've seen that approach before but it works for me.
    Dannage wrote: »
    Are my eyes going funny or are your Nacelles closer together at the front than at the back in that last shot? It's making me dizzy... ;)

I think two things are going on. The first is perspective, and the second is that the nacelles are wider at the front than at the back.
    6sk9d5f6df2g.png

Just a current orthographic shot from the front. I'm continuing to add escape pods, and I've started working on some staterooms. Oh, and as to the above comment about the nacelles, you can see they are canted a tad, which also would add to the illusion.
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    d1afzz3ta9wk.png

Same orthographic view, but I've added more windows and cut deflector grid lines on the dorsal side. I've started to have to work in layers due to memory issues.
    Lizzy777
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    edited March 2021 #20
    Nice little hospital ship.

Always good to see a circular primary hull.
    Post edited by Nevets on
    edited April 2021 #21
    d8fvzowft260.png

This post mostly serves to show I'm still alive, still working on the project. I finished cutting the deflector grid lines on the dorsal, and I'm getting ready to do the same on the ventral. I've decided where escape pods, M/ARC ejection port, and landing leg doors are going, and I've decided on a basic shape for the under-saucer auxiliary craft. However, looking at it, I need to increase the size on it.
    Lizzy777publiusr
    Now, having those two banks of window be where the sec hull ‘curve’ terminates for downward viewing might keep the flow...