Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    I look at this and then a I look at what Discovery gave us last season. And obviously it's not impossible, to design a ship, that looks different while still keeping some lineage to what came before ...

It's just impossible for the ST:D producers ...

anyways ... great work :-D
    darkthunderLoophole
  • LoopholeLoophole48 Posts: 67Member
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    I look at this and then a I look at what Discovery gave us last season. And obviously it's not impossible, to design a ship, that looks different while still keeping some lineage to what came before ...

It's just impossible for the ST:D producers ...

Agreed, in fact that's the very definition of a period design style (i.e. TOS, TNG). I think some of the designs in Discovery look nice, but would be better used elsewhere. Heck, they would fit right in for Star Trek Picard. It seems they prefer the novel over what fits in the established time period/timeline.
    Standing among giants
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9712 Posts: 5,302Member
    Better view of the nacelle bits. One is of the working object so materials are not all applied as they are on the demo versions. Internals are temp and just there to give the interior something to work with. Also yanked off one row of the ribs, the Galaxy only had like 5 and I thought mine were too busy.
    emissary-0089.jpg
    emissary-0090.jpg
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777JESChiefBrex
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Some tests for those ribs, hard to decipher something that is a scratched in detail on a physical model and a line in a drawing. Figured raised panels would work but they render a bit ugly. Second go is stripes extruded into the mesh, more like the physical model for the Galaxy. I would texture this but as this model is likely to be converted to blender, modeled details means not having to worry about uvws translating over. Definitely wont be doing this detail on future ships lol. PITA to arrange the templates to cut from. Easy to do on a physical model just get a bit of post-it and scratch away one segment at a time. I could have tried to model the base mesh so these would all align and space automatically but it would have been hell to get the flow to not have wobbles or other funny BS. Yeah I could have just cut as the polys flowed but then it wouldn't look like the inspired part. I am guessing real world reason is some sort of related field shaper like the ships force fields and related grid arrays on the hulls. Yeah I know reality is it is just some detail to give the eye some candy and to define the chamfer on interlaced broadcast tv.

extruded "boxes" as a sample I would round the forward and back sides of the boxes to make it look more like a groove. I did not go that far as I judged the results to be too poor to go further.
    emissary-0091.jpg
    Extruded in grooves, the better of the two I think.
    emissary-0092.jpg
    Full nacelle to give an idea of the view from a distance.
    emissary-0093.jpg
    Plan today is to collapse the quad symmetry on the nacelle and start in on the asymmetrical details like the warp grills and the breaking up of the nacelle to at least provide a visual way that it could be pulled apart in reality to access coils or other internals of the nacelle.
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralLizzy777JESBillynom8ChiefBrex
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Very nice. I agree the extruded grooves look nicer.
    edited January 2021 #2167
    Ribbed for . . . .
    well ribbed sorta. WAY to close to the mesh too.
    emissary-0095.jpg

emissary-0096.jpg

oops old post I forgot to click post on heh.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777JESChiefBrex
    Start of the breaking up process. The dark lines will be large panels once cut in. Idea is some of these would pull apart or extend out to allow access. Mostly being shaped by restrictions of the struts and latter warp grills. Might not make it to working in asymmetrical details.
    emissary-0098.jpg
    emissary-0099.jpg
    emissary-0100.jpg
    BolianAdmiralLoopholelewisnivenLizzy777Zhor2395JESChiefBrex
    Ooohh, that looks great! I like the layout you have in mind for the paneling, and I really love the subtle gray markings on the nacelle!
    edited January 2021 #2170
    Stuff from a few days ago, forgot them and then a storm rolled in and power was dodgy (flickering lights etc) so the pc got shut off for 2 days.

emissary-0101.jpg

emissary-0102.jpg

Keep in mind the panel color is temp. Just testing out generations Galaxy paint scheme out.
    BolianAdmiralRekkertLoopholeLizzy777JESChiefBrex
    Very nice... I’m liking the details so far. Panel color looks nice... subtle but not overbearing.
    edited January 2021 #2172
    Not a large change just some panels and small decals.
    emissary-0105.jpg

emissary-0106.jpg
    also messing with the dome translucency as I figure the innards should be a bit sharper than they are now.
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralLizzy777Zhor2395JESFreakChiefBrex
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    i love how effortless you make it look :)
    BolianAdmiral
    I love it!
  • GidiotGidiot30 Posts: 9Member
    That’s sweet! I love MKF and Atolm’s designs and have even ventured into doing a few models based on their respective works.. but now we’ll get a MKF version of an Atolm design!!!! One that I was going to try later on. SWEET!
  • eagledocf15eagledocf15357 Houston Texas Posts: 46Member
    Incredible work!!! Wowsers!
    edited February 2021 #2177
    Again not much, lol seems common. I redid these a few times and just junked the work. Tried out a VOY style rcs but I just never liked that style at all so I ended up with a mix of galaxy and sov, sorta. Ignore the color as I just dumped something close onto it for the moment. Probably go the mustard yellow of the SOV.
    emissary-0107.jpg
    emissary-0108.jpg

Looking at my refs of various ship I really do lack ones of the SOV RCS. Even Voyager, very few of the cristies or least modern digital photos. Even the SOV I have mostly old dated wrong white balance film images mostly from print media so that adds a level of visual vomit too. heh.

emissary-0109.jpg
    FreakashleytingerLoopholeBolianAdmiralLizzy777JESkomaroChiefBrex
    Roughing out patterns and likely going to have to remerge bits and alter them.

emissary-0110.jpg
    emissary-0111.jpg
    BolianAdmiralLoopholeLizzy777JESFreakChiefBrex
    Very nice. Loving the thruster details and the look of the warp grille area.
    I don’t know if this is something you’d ever want to do on this, or any of your ships, but I noticed this in the “Demon” episode of Voyager... I don’t recall ever seeing it again, but it’s a cool little detail, I guess, lol.

vrrxaegp9tvw.jpeg
    LoopholeChiefBrex
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Those RCS look great
    Not sure it would work that well in a multi platform mesh. If I was going to texture in the ribbing maybe, but plan is to make the grid a physical object.

Anyhow cutting in all the light panels so I can plan the break up of the seams. Going with more of the STO idea of sections over the unitary feel of the Galaxy etc. (well least cir generations repaint)
    emissary-0115.jpg
    emissary-0116.jpg
    It is all up in the air too as I still have not decided to go with the existing warp cut out or to say round off the end and leading parts off.
    ashleytingerBolianAdmiralLoopholelewisnivenFreakLizzy777ChiefBrexJES
    I'm really loving all that subtle panel detailing.
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    Brother, I've been going through the last 10 pages, and my jaw just keeps dropping at the work you've done. These meshes are simply brilliant! I can't believe these are just 3D Models. They look like Resin models with perfect painting and decals done.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I hope you do more of Atolms designs.
    BolianAdmiral
    Extruded in the warp coil cut out glass facing is just a featureless plane atm. Need to balance the edges and define a rib pattern and get those in. Also interiors unsure if I should go about the typical efx and hope they translate to blender ( I know it can do it just whomever converts needs to know how)

Also note some of the elements are ot "broken off" yet. EG the panel lines are just basicly paint atm and will get the chamfer and extrude later on.

emissary-0118.jpg
    emissary-0119.jpg
    emissary-0120.jpg
    BolianAdmiralZhor2395Lizzy777LoopholeashleytingerFreakJESsrspicer
    That looks great... the blue warp coil area on that last render legitimately looks truly 3-dimensional.
    edited February 2021 #2188
    Warp grill stuff. Just the blue bar in there right now. Also a render of the otherside detail, still planning out the patterns and paneling. The newer max cutting nerfyness in ortho is making this really annoying.
    emissary-0121.jpg
    emissary-0122.jpg

Really wish I could find a fix for the damned hover over tooltips as win10 the older win7 fix does not work. 9 out of 10 clicks on viewport nav tools and Im clicking and the tooltip is blocking the button so it does not change tools. (guess I need to go find what annoying hotkeys are assigned to those tools. ctrl,alt,shift,1,tab,d? lol Though beats the UI altering single key hotkey toggles that have no UI interface.

ANYHOW the patterns and grids on the opposite side will likely change.

also luck to nasa in a few hours on the lander.
    BolianAdmiralLoopholeFreakseanrJESsrspicer
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Damn man, are you cutting those blue panels in by hand? Why not just build with splines and boolean?

Viper wrote: »
    Damn man, are you cutting those blue panels in by hand? Why not just build with splines and boolean?

because that is a whole nother nightmare mess. I can cut lines in a tenth of the time as it would take to debug all the verts and screwed up edges boolean creates, not to mention the inaccuracy in getting crossing edges or inconstant projection across the surface. I have also had bad luck in doing it this way as I have had it pull the hull out of alignment so the cuts are not planar to the rest of it. Things might be better in 2019 in how boolean works but I gave it up a long time ago.

Cutting manually allows me to clean as I go so I do not have to go over surfaces multiple times to "bug" check the surface. It is the key reason when I do use boolean (least in poly sub) I do so with as simple as a patch of hull as I can. (detaching faces in small sub groups.)

Splines are shit in max too as there is no defined X Y and Z persay as X in world is never how you would expect on a spline. Reason I never use them unless there is no other way to do something as I spend more time aligning things up to be square to XY or Z as it is always like 22.5deg in some random direction. Bending phaser strips for example. Always have to realign them as it takes a arbitrary angle.
    The nacelles are looking nice.