Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    I'm guessing you're going with a more Generation's look? :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    Well you've exceeded movie-accurate, so much so that due to no fault of your own, the bussards look kinda ridiculous. But thats Probert's and 480i's (the original intended medium for the ship) fault, not yours.

Any chance for a video flyby, or would that murder your machine?
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're going with a more Generation's look? :D

Always ;)
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    Well you've exceeded movie-accurate, so much so that due to no fault of your own, the bussards look kinda ridiculous. But thats Probert's and 480i's (the original intended medium for the ship) fault, not yours.

Thanks! I do intend to do some animations but there's no way that'll be happening on my machine, I'll use a cloud rendering service to sort that when I get round to it.
    Much higher res/higher sample render of the previous;

o4ph07oohuz3.png
    Lizzy777JeffrySGBolianAdmiralFreakMcCraztovlennier1kadenBrandenberg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    She is looking perfect.
    johnl2112 wrote: »

From what I'm told by Probert, he originally intended for the warp engines including the bussards to be off at sublight travel, but Legato thought they looked cooler on, so they were left on.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    That high-res image looks awesome.
    lewisniven
    ft7jilsj5paj.png
    darkthunderashleytingerlennier1LeoBerlinLizzy777McCraztovkadenJeffrySGMadKoiFishand 1 other.
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    STUNNING!

33 years on and it's still the most graceful starship ever (in my opinion).

I wonder how long before someone starts doing 16k or 32k renders.
    lennier1raztovJeffrySGlewisniven
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Those latest renders look amazing.
    lewisniven
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    that last image made me giggle....

Awesome work...
    lewisniven
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    lewisniven wrote: »
    ft7jilsj5paj.png

Only thing missing from that pic is the Amargosa space station. Gorgeous as always 😁
    publiusrlewisniven
    @darkthunder I made a start on modelling one but haven't got back to it yet. Tbh it can probably get away with being very low detail for these render purposes.
    My attempt at recreating the opening shot from Picard;

s8zkbkcplzxg.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingerRekkertFreakLeoBerlinMcCJeffrySGFULCRUM
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    edited January 2021 #406
    Great shot, catches that modern look of STP.
    Sorry, if this has been asked before but are you using boxes behind all lit windows or a parallax shader?
    Post edited by nightfever on
    nightfever wrote: »
    Great shot, catches that modern look of STP.
    Sorry, if this has been asked before but are you using boxes behind all lit windows or a parallax shader?

I actually thought you were being cheeky and just posted a screenshot from the show... :P
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    I actually thought you were being cheeky and just posted a screenshot from the show... :P

That joke only works if the show got the Enterprise-D right in the first place ;)
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited January 2021 #410
    count23 wrote: »

That joke only works if the show got the Enterprise-D right in the first place ;)

Aside from the improper live action footage window placement, what was wrong with the exterior CG model?
    Post edited by Chris2005 on
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • maranmaran178 Posts: 39Member
    Aside from the improper live action footage window placement, what was wrong with the exterior CG model?

I seem to remember the ship was a lot more metallic, which I thought looked really cool, but it was incoherent with the TNG visuals.

The CG model isn't very accurate to the 6ft model, which is kinda fair enough, but as said they'd made it far more metallic, as well as giving it 3 bussard hotspots on each nacelle for some reason. Also the deflector is very weird. I suspect that they were semi-aware of the limitations of the model and lit it how they did in order to hide as much as possible.

It baffles me that they had an opening shot of a show starring one of sci-fi's most beloved characters, showing one of sci-fi's most cherished ships, and they did it on the cheap using an existing 3d model (It's the Eaglemoss mesh tarted up a bit apparently). And to top it all off they showed the wrong window for 10 forward.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That D in Picard looked terrible. God awful lighting as well, or more like lack of lighting. Really don't dig the vibe of CG these days in Sci-Fi these days.

On topic though, this D is looking mint.
    lewisniven
    wait until next season when Picard tells Soji that he hated the Enterprise D all along....... Yeeet!!!!

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Great work as always tho man!!!!
    lewisniven

The CG model isn't very accurate to the 6ft model, which is kinda fair enough, but as said they'd made it far more metallic, as well as giving it 3 bussard hotspots on each nacelle for some reason. Also the deflector is very weird. I suspect that they were semi-aware of the limitations of the model and lit it how they did in order to hide as much as possible.

It baffles me that they had an opening shot of a show starring one of sci-fi's most beloved characters, showing one of sci-fi's most cherished ships, and they did it on the cheap using an existing 3d model (It's the Eaglemoss mesh tarted up a bit apparently). And to top it all off they showed the wrong window for 10 forward.

I figured they would've used Tobias' model they used for the TNG-R... D:
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Same, although TNG-R was done by CBS digital and Picard's VFX were done by DNEG so maybe there was a lack of communication there or licensing issues, who knows what. Tobias' is a far better model though.
    Did this one earlier, just for some more practice compositing;

a78rrqkfv1ru.png
    lennier1mdtaMadKoiFishraztovLizzy777FreakLeoBerlinMcCJeffrySGBolianAdmiral
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Did this one earlier, just for some more practice compositing;

a78rrqkfv1ru.png

That looks like it has the spirit of the TV show with the brighter lighting for the ship, but a more modern and realistic compositing of the shot!
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Could you do a tutorial of how you do your compositing? And could you show each of the layers? I would really like to wrap my head around this but am having difficulty.
    absolutely beautiful... great to go though the thread and get to this... keep them coming man :D what a great start to the year haha
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Could you do a tutorial of how you do your compositing? And could you show each of the layers? I would really like to wrap my head around this but am having difficulty.

Yeah I can probably put something together, I might have to do it as a video I think as there are a lot of layers.
    markmassey wrote: »
    absolutely beautiful... great to go though the thread and get to this... keep them coming man :D what a great start to the year haha

Thanks mark! Always appreciate your comments. :)