Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Freak wrote: »
    It was clocked. Otherwise how does it become a penal colony in Voyager. (That was where Tom Paris was doing his time.)

I'd just chalk that up to a mistake by the Visual FX team.

Also, Paris was serving at the Penal Colony ca 2371. First Contact takes place in 2373. Maybe New Zealand sunk?
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    We do have a supervolcano disguised as the largest lake so maybe... lol
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Man, such a beautiful ship! I'm going to short out my keyboard if I keep drooling like this.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    she's looking glorious.......
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    It was clocked. Otherwise how does it become a penal colony in Voyager. (That was where Tom Paris was doing his time.)

I'd just chalk that up to a mistake by the Visual FX team.

Also, Paris was serving at the Penal Colony ca 2371. First Contact takes place in 2373. Maybe New Zealand sunk?

I would accept that, except they went back in time to the late 21 century and just after World War III ended.
    New Zealand clocked itself so it would not take part in WWIII, they only stopped using it when the Federation Banned the use of clocking devices.

But in reality, you right. it an FX mistake.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Can we not assume that NZ was destroyed in WW3 and there was a reconstruction effort over the following century after first contact with the Vulcan's?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    But in reality, you right. it an FX mistake.
    One guy's mistake is another guy's in-joke.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Maybe the compositor had just had his application to work at wetta rejected?
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Gorgeous! Been inspiring to see!
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    edited December 2020 #371
    More ventral detailing today. Very close to being geometry complete now!

320u961rzbx9.png

puh95at9mdwu.png

Post edited by lewisniven on
    Zhor2395JeffrySGLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryMustang13Camaro68FreakrojrenRekkertMcCpubliusrand 1 other.
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Beautiful looking model!
    lewisniven
    Bit more geo today;

ilqpuubfvdpx.png
    RekkertMcCLizzy777FreakLeoBerlinBrandenberg
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    Lewis,

This is amazing work. Feel free to ignore the following; while you have this lit very accurately for "screen accuracy" I was wondering if you've done any passes where its self illuminated only - also, your interiors are rendered with a kind of harsh flourescent light - would you have to rebake your interiors to change that to like a 3500k light (for some rooms...)

I am thinking of building my own ship stealing some of your techniques (but not the designs), but plan to not match the TNG lighting (where stars are super dim, and deep space is kinda uniformly grey...) but the harsh light/shadows of actual space. For instance, are the "black windows" still rooms that are not illuminated that and would catch sunlight and be visible, or are they just "black"

Also the texturing is screen accurate, but its accurate to "plastic model painted sorta glossy sort of matte grey" - do you plan on going for a more reflective metallic look?

Thanks! Great inspiring work! I consider this on par with or exceeding the work Tobias Richter does model wise.
    Hi @johnl2112

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. The rooms are lit 'properly' if you like, but then I've tinted the glass green ever so slightly to align it with the on screen look in Generations, it's purely a stylistic thing (the glass would probably have a ton of coatings on it right?). The quarters (of which there are more on the saucer) are far warmer lit then the other rooms (corridors and a science lab which is very blue). Yesterday I took the saturation down on the rooms a smidge though.

Unlit windows are just opaque black glass, it's far easier that way.

I've tried quite hard to match the on screen look admittedly, as it appeared in generations, which as you say is is a 'matt plastic painted model'. The renders above have no film grain or anything applied also admittedly look a bit smooth, plus the denoiser gets a bit carried away. A film grain overlay and some post processing goes a long way to combatting that look but these are just WIP renders. The Picard intro when the other way and went VERY metallic, which in my opinion was over the top, it looks almost chrome.

The below is a render with the roughness map also driving metalness, to give a more metallic look, with some light post processing, just to see how it'd look as you mentioned it.

3rcdsuosmit4.png

BolianAdmiralMcCashleytingerdarkthunderLizzy777lennier1FreakpubliusrLeoBerlinBrandenberg
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    @lewisniven huh, cranking the metalness is kinda weird in the absence of something to reflect -- I'll have to think about how I'll want my ship to appear. I am kinda torn between the more metal look, and a pearlescent refit connie look.
    lewisniven
    It's subtle there TBF, I'm lighting with a hdri and if I crank metalness to max you can really tell the difference.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Novel cover worthy
    edited December 2020 #379
    More aztec work on the underside today.

rojjzwg2m3cm.png
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    Lizzy777RekkertMcCashleytingerdarkthunderkadenFreakJeffrySGLeoBerlinBrandenberg
    Aztecs around the engineering section 90% complete now. Pylons next.

fyvg46mtvfb8.png
    ashleytingerlennier1Lizzy777LeoBerlindarkthunderRekkertMustang13Camaro68FreakJeffrySGMcCand 1 other.
  • LeoBerlinLeoBerlin333 Posts: 2Member
    lewisniven wrote: »
    More aztec work on the underside today.

rojjzwg2m3cm.png

This is the most beautiful picture of the D I’ve ever seen!
    lewisnivenJeffrySG
    Thanks @LeoBerlin !

The lesser spotted view of the top...

a267cpd28oy7.png
    JeffrySGashleytingerMcCMustang13Camaro68Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777LeoBerlinFreakBrandenberg
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    So nice!
    lewisniven
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    There's something oddly satisfying about your Galaxy Class... lol
    lewisniven
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Outer pylons textured, just the inner pylons to do and that's aztecs pretty much complete.

65952ddgccs0.png
    Lizzy777LeoBerlinMcCWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakFULCRUMBrandenberg
    Now my question is... does she separate? :P
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »

Lol, afraid not..I didn't model the top of the cobra of that inner section of the saucer. I think the stardrive section looks really awkward on it's own anyway tbh.
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Chris2005 wrote: »

Lol, afraid not..I didn't model the top of the cobra of that inner section of the saucer. I think the stardrive section looks really awkward on it's own anyway tbh.

Fair enough. haha
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Top side of the pylon aztecs done.

g647nwe0c7pw.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777McCLeoBerlinJeffrySGWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakBrandenberg
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Your work is very good!
    lewisniven
    0fzakx1wndsi.png
    RekkertMustang13Camaro68LeoBerlinashleytingerMcCJeffrySGBolianAdmiralLizzy777FreakBrandenberg