Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DB-Wing

JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
edited December 2020 in Work in Progress #1
I've been working on this B-Wing for a while now. I'm finishing up the main part of the s-foil wings, and then I'll move on to the rest of the detailing and paneling. I'm planning on doing the cockpit as well. There's still a ton do work on. The model is all subdivision surfaces at this point. I can post earlier wip images if anyone wanted to see for any reason.

vwf5slxd50jx.jpg
Post edited by JeffrySG on
Mustang13Camaro68omnipotentJES
Tagged:

• JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    99qybbip6qmm.png

p53ywccnwqzh.png

7u337esnzi6k.png
    srspicerrojrenMustang13Camaro68FreakBrandenbergomnipotentLizzy777McCwolfmanxiaorobearand 1 other.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That's a great looking model.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Star Wars ships are great fun. This is spectacular.
    edited December 2020 #5
    Thanks! I love the SW ships and I've been meaning to do a build for a while. I don't see the B-Wing too often so it was top on my list.

I've been working on the wings and the cannon sections the past few days. Almost done with the cannon sections but need to add a bunch of areas to the wing bodies next.

ajiqupcmnmm2.png

8hl0i21p8naj.png

b6ycwdg8qx7l.png

omnipotentLizzy777FreakrojrenwolfmanJES
    Starting to lay some wires down on the wing and now I'm realizing that there are quite of bit of wires all over these wings... lol need to be adding a lot more I guess.

jtsc4tqjg69p.jpg
    Lizzy777JES
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    the attention to detail on display here is ACE :+1:
    also loving that it is a full subD build (no expense spared eh)
    omnipotent wrote: »
    the attention to detail on display here is ACE :+1:
    also loving that it is a full subD build (no expense spared eh)

Cheers! I question myself many times about keeping it all subd but I'm this far in.... lol
    edited December 2020 #9
    Still plugging away on the top details of the wings. Here's a matcap wire and a matcap smooth view. Not sure what people like seeing. I kind of like seeing both. I have a ton of reference photos but boy would I like to have 1hr to photograph a studio model myself for good shots.

8denld9fd401.jpg

r2uky59uh9y1.jpg

omnipotentFreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777wolfmanJES
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    Looking great. I like the B-Wing - wish it got more screen time. I vote smooth, non-mesh renders.

What's your process for tubes and lines in Blender? I've struggled to find something I can do as easy as I used to in 3DS Max. Are you using a plugin or some other way?
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    edited December 2020 #11
    Looking great. I like the B-Wing - wish it got more screen time. I vote smooth, non-mesh renders.

What's your process for tubes and lines in Blender? I've struggled to find something I can do as easy as I used to in 3DS Max. Are you using a plugin or some other way?

Thanks! I think I like the smooth better but I do like seeing people topology sometimes. It's good to hear what you like, I'll def. keep on posting the smooth versions.

Regarding the wires, I tried a few ways but for now I've settled on using a bezier curve and using a small bevel depth on them to turn them into a cylinder. I go with a very low side count as I apply a SubdD modifier on top of that. I then just draw out the curve the way you would in Illustrator and adjust the handles. After it's pretty close I will snap the control points to the surface of the mesh that it is supposed to be on top of. This sinks the wire halfway into the surface but I like the way it looks this way. Everything ends up fairly clean and even and easy to adjust as needed. The only areas that get a little trickier is if they go over a corner or need to bump over another wire. But that just means a little more handle adjusting.

Here's a close up of one of the sections:
    msfl0abaonl6.jpg
    Lizzy777Mustang13Camaro68JES
    I'll do some of the thin lines in a similar way but I'll use a flat polygon strip and wrap it to the surface (shrinkwrap) and then use a solidify modifier and a subd, etc.

bkjkp06ig3hv.jpg
    Lizzy777Mustang13Camaro68JES
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    awesome level of detail you've gone to here... it's looking ace...
    markmassey wrote: »
    awesome level of detail you've gone to here... it's looking ace...

Much appreciated!
    Think I'm done with the detailing on the wings and the side ion cannon areas.

ei67ldu4qkro.jpg

6w68amlz5pae.jpg
    omnipotentMustang13Camaro68Lizzy777xiaorobearJES
    edited December 2020 #16
    So I'm starting to work on some of the paneling on my B-wing. From all the reference pictures the panels clearly have holes where you might see rivets holding the panels on. I'm trying to keep the model all subd so I can use a boolean modifier to drop the holes in. Or... I can use actual rivets where you would see the holes and they would come out rather than go into the panels. The rivets will be easier but not sure if it will deviate too much from the original design. They don't actually look too different but I wanted to see what everyone thinks on this. My gut says to just do the holes to be accurate...

Left panel has the holes and the right panel uses the rivets. So chime in and say which way you think I should continue. Holes or Rivets?

hbthdqz2znzp.jpg

tvl6uyyif2bb.jpg

Lizzy777JES
    I think my machine is going to melt by the time I want to render this.....
    Ok, decided to go with a combination of these options. Made a latch that has an inset handle to use. It has the 'hole' that is on the actual model but then it has more detail and might even be more practical as far as plating on a ship. Looks pretty good very close up (all subd still) and from further it pretty much looks like the practical models.

ffpzmap2oqbp.jpg

77cw9alaxdfv.jpg

Lizzy777FreakJES
    jn5v79elzu48.jpg
    Lizzy777FreaksrspicerJES
    Still working on panels! yay! panels, panels panels!

r1q8s5f7y4e8.jpg
    McCrojrenMustang13Camaro68Lizzy777FreakJES
    edited December 2020 #21
    OK, think I'm done with the paneling on the bottom wing. There are probably a few more detail that I need to add to it but I think the bottom wing is mostly done.

hh95gt5yv3rd.jpg

es2ark7d30jt.jpg

Lizzy777JESFreak
    edited December 2020 #22
    Working on the panels on the middle engine section. Getting a little faster at it and finding a good grove/technique for the subd panel work now.

qrbv01ezkdlb.jpg

ib4blqbo34bv.jpg
    JESashleytingerLizzy777Mustang13Camaro68McCrojrenFreak
    Slowly working my way up the body. I still need to cut out an area that I forgot to do earlier on the section above the main engine intakes.

awy6p0z3iqfx.jpg

a19cdhst0nmh.jpg

rojrenMustang13Camaro68McCLizzy777FreakJESLeoBerlin
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Wow, awesome detail! ALways loved the B-Wing. Like the shader too. Hope there are some more in the new Star Wars shows...
    Thanks! I’m trying to stay fairly true to the movie models but I’m adding some extra detail in places where I think it can help a bit. And yeas it would be really cool to see it a bit more in some future SW shows or film. I think I will add in landing gear but will need to do some guess work on that as I don’t think the original models had any gear or panels hiding them. You can see them a bit in the new SW squadrons game so I’ll use that as a base guide.
    Worked up to the top and the cockpit section. I think all of the main detail and panel work is done. I need to finish off the outer detail of the cockpit sensors and blasters. Then I'll need to get into the inside of the cockpit which will be a whole lot of work. It will be a nice change from the exterior, though. Some of the models have panel sections that are missing with detail inside so I'll need to think about that as well at some point, in addition to any landing gear.

v55bou2ity1b.jpg

53l0vtmlfcil.jpg

mavekFreakLizzy777JES
    Had some time today to work on the front of the cockpit area.

nfcil40sgsc4.jpg

opgx25mx23s3.jpg

Lizzy777JESLeoBerlin
    edited December 2020 #28
    Nothing new to show as I've been blocking out the interior of the cockpit at this point. I'm using a combination of photos of physical models and interior views of the B-Wing from the new SW Squadrons video game to help with the cockpit design. But I did some full ship matcap renders for everyone to look at...

v6chl5jh7mlf.jpg
    b53hstfk819o.jpg
    mkq4ao4y2py1.jpg
    Lizzy777LeoBerlinmavekJESMadKoiFishFreakwolfmanBrandenberg
    Not sure if anyone cares to see me blocking out the cockpit and slowly working on it... but I'll post a pic every so often just in case. There will be a ton of objects there so it will probably take a while... and we'll probably never really see much of them in a render... but we're crazy, right?

qzda7lb2zf10.jpg
    tkvn6nirtnt5.jpg

working on the seat a bit
    jyq2gsy6vnm1.jpg

ashleytingerMcCLizzy777LeoBerlinJESMadKoiFishFreak
    Just some updates to the cockpit interior... nothing major. :)

0u8yhtjpkem6.jpg
    McCFreakLizzy777wolfman
    I've been stalling a bit working on this but I'm still knocking out a panel here and there. There's not a ton that's new but enough for me to post a small update. :)

8xndltjods4t.jpg

ab1h86pssatr.jpg
    wolfmanLizzy777FreaklewisnivenRekkertBrandenbergMcC