Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSeaQuest DSV 3D Internal Deck Layout

• JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    oh hey, regarding wires on surfaces, I found this video and thought you might be interested. It's not how I do them but it's a great solution.
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    JeffrySG wrote: »
    oh hey, regarding wires on surfaces, I found this video and thought you might be interested. It's not how I do them but it's a great solution.

That's pretty cool. Thank you.
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    Another update. I was unhappy with the environment since I had to turn off the fog to make the spot lights work. So I replaced the spot lights
    with textures on planes, added fog and worked on the cliff and ground some more. Not happy with the triangle windows yet, maybe adding some glow would help. Gotta fix the nose - uv mapping gets messed up there when subd is applied. Thinking of adding a subtle turbulence stream of some sort behind the engines too.

vfjuc04sdg98.png
    Lizzy777japetus
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    The triangular windows really look like planes just pasted on - were they like that in the original? Maybe you could round the corners on them (since sharp corners are famously a structural weakness). They'd be triangular still, but not sharp corners (with a fairly wide corner radius). I'd also suggest doing window boxes behind them like a lot of the Trek shipbuilders do (I've also seen good parallax shader examples if your software can do that).
    They probably WERE triangles pasted on the original model. And, so are mine right now ;)
    I'm trying to keep the model modify-able until I'm sure the form is as correct as I can get it before cutting in smaller details like the front torpedo tubes. Keeping this true to the show, but also trying to add detail/make it feel more photo realistic is becoming a hard line to walk.
    Using a parallax shader might add the needed detail to make the windows seem less basic though.
    Messed with the comp and materials some more. Added a scan of a fish tank sunken ship to give some more story to the scene.
    0ujwjzxb5cpf.jpg
    Lizzy777japetuswibbleSwiftstryke
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    edited December 2020 #68
    I Googled "Seaquest DSV sets" and what do you think was the very first thing I saw?

SQ-crew-photo.jpg?resize=2000%2C1200

I modeled those grates up in the ceiling (they're the same ones used all over Star Trek) and released them here - you may as well save yourself some trouble and grab those. :D
    Post edited by seanr on
    I saw that in the models section! Definitely will - and thanks!
    More work on the Navigation chairs. I'll add the footrests and handlebar/screen thing tomorrow.
    26m7v8qsx48v.jpg
    seanrLizzy777omnipotent
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Messed with the comp and materials some more. Added a scan of a fish tank sunken ship to give some more story to the scene.
    0ujwjzxb5cpf.jpg

Awesome!! Gives me chills!
    More work on the Nav chairs. I put off doing all the wires until tomorrow:
    j545ffecqc8t.png
    qouffax8wn7h.png
    omnipotentLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperator
    w9infbfrkwq2.png
    yp9cy3qrc5tj.png
    Lizzy777Freakwibblecaveat_imperator
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Just finished rewatching the first season.. you know what? I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to.. that crew photo makes me feel sad for some reason... but then so does cheers every morning at the minute haha I think it's a sign that I'm getting old....

This thread has turned into quite the rollercoaster :)
    Mustang13Camaro68
    markmassey wrote: »

I think this show had more of an effect on people than anyone realizes. With better behind the scenes management and vision, this might have gone further and done better. I can only hope Netflix lets me reboot it. I have ideas...... :)
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I keep hearing about a reboot of babylon 5..... no... seaquest for the win!!!
    Better not touch B5!
    WIP of the alcove workstations.
    mu6w361pzne1.jpg
    Lizzy777Freakjapetuscaveat_imperator
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    markmassey wrote: »

I think this show had more of an effect on people than anyone realizes. With better behind the scenes management and vision, this might have gone further and done better. I can only hope Netflix lets me reboot it. I have ideas...... :)

Take the resource crisis of the 3rd season, the peacekeeping and exploration concept of the first season, and take nothing whatsoever from the 2nd season and you've got a good reboot there :)
    Mustang13Camaro68
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    wwp5yh2y5g39.png

After lurking around SciFi Meshes for the past year (old job, then new job kept me super busy) I got inspired by the work Starsailer78 is doing on his seaQuest bridge, so I did some more work on mine.

Added the corridor at the back. Did a first pass at the clam shell doors (those are a nightmare) and updated the regular workstation chairs a bit. Test render done with CyclesX in Blender 3.0. CyclesX is definitely faster, but I still think I'm gonna switch this over to Max/Vray. I can just do better with that combo instead of Blender.

Still plenty more to model until bridge is done. Hopefully doesn't take another year to get finish the bridge. My ultimate goal was to model the whole dang ship and make a walk through game like the ill-fated "Stage 9" of the TNG Enterprise.
    Lizzy777japetuscaveat_imperator
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Welcome back, was wondering what had happened to this project. xD
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Awesome, been listening to the theme song a lot lately and thought of this project. Looking awesome!
    Mustang13Camaro68
    What might the inside of seaQuest look like with no decks? Last night's crappy render lets us find out!
    56n081ci31ds.jpg
    This view is inside the front of the ship, looking aft. 6 foot tall crewman for scale.
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    What might the inside of seaQuest look like with no decks? Last night's crappy render lets us find out!

It looks like something from Farscape. Like the interior of some sort of Leviathan like Moya.
    Mustang13Camaro68
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Yeah, I can see that.
    Maybe blue Leviathans could have been the male of the species?
    Lizzy777
    Render Test of the exterior:

Search lights suck. They're noisy and chunky - probably due to using Vray Denoiser. But the worst is that they cut off midway down. I'm using Vray GPU to render. This cutoff doesn't happen in regular Vray. Can't find a setting to fix this in Vray's settings, the environment fog settings or the light's settings. Might have to resort to using a spotlight picture on a card or something.

Windows are one object using a tiled, fake interior shader and it totally isn't working. Might have to cut the windows into the hull and I really don't want to.
    The show never really said these were windows anyway, but what else could they be?

Hull texture UVs are garbage. Especially around the Docking Sphere. Looked better in Blender. Gonna have to sort them out.

Sick of the exterior for now. Probably going back to the interior/bridge for a while. The feel of the water/fog seems about right though! The lighting seems close to the show. That's something :P

Some stills:
    o9c4jhkmwd7y.jpg
    fljkdoxr9qns.jpg
    of22oe9uojy7.jpg
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • Starsailor78Starsailor781 Posts: 2Member
    Beautifully done! How did you manage the screen graphics, are they screenshots or your own designs?
    Beautifully done! How did you manage the screen graphics, are they screenshots or your own designs?

Mostly screen grabs and some Photoshop.
  • Wbnemo1Wbnemo1341 Posts: 7Member
    This is a great model... I had the maquette scanned many years ago to help build thisrcyziifcl74l.jpg
    Lizzy777Mustang13Camaro68srspicer
    Sent you a private message 😊
    Many moons ago....

7dpseszux2er.jpg
    Lizzy777Mustang13Camaro68srspicerBridger