Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarfleet Briefing Room (Star Trek VI)

seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
edited December 2020 in Work in Progress #1
sob3mffzpi7p.png
---

So far, this is just my favorite prop from that scene, but will ultimately be the entire set.

Jazz desk/table lamp, designed by Ferdinand Alexander Porsche for PAF Studio:
uh0sth6anogi.png
7i1ud086gxsz.png

Wires of same:
jtdcwsknqjd5.pngfnsgtm0x5jwt.png
Post edited by seanr on
BolianAdmiralRekkertMustang13Camaro68ashleytingerLizzy777JES

• Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    That was such a cool lamp. I could swear they used it in SeaQuest too somewhere.
    Lizzy777
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Came across a light fixture (on Etsy of all places) that I really love in the context of this desk lamp, though it won't be in the full scene I'm creating here:
    9qb4wnt2xl62.png

Here's the first test render of the beginnings of the actual set:
    yl6butfnsvqr.png
    Lizzy777JESomnipotent
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    edited December 2020 #4
    That was such a cool lamp. I could swear they used it in SeaQuest too somewhere.

i just pressed play on s1e23 and guess what i found...
    8p0sk643iqbd.png
    Post edited by omnipotent on
    omnipotent wrote: »

i just pressed play on s1e23 and guess what i found...

I KNEW IT!!!
    omnipotent
  • prisoner881prisoner881336 Posts: 30Member
    I have hazy memories of seeing The Undiscovered Country in theaters and recognizing this lamp as a real lamp you could buy at the time. Can anyone verify?
    I have hazy memories of seeing The Undiscovered Country in theaters and recognizing this lamp as a real lamp you could buy at the time. Can anyone verify?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Italian-Jazz-Table-Lamp-by-Ferdinand-Alexander-Porsche-for-PAF-Studio-/183947020175
    That's about the cheapest I've seen it. It's seriously tempted to snag that, but I'd rather save the money toward a new laptop (I'd like to get one of the newest MBPs with 32GB of RAM).

Latest update on this:
    p0u5mbbkq60f.png
    RekkertashleytingerMustang13Camaro68Lizzy777FreakMcC
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Beautiful! Could very much be a picture of the set.
    Have you identified the chair model being used? I've been trying to do that myself for my USS Victory conference room, to no avail.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Table top reflection looks great!
    And the real life lamp is cool, but wow that was expensive.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    This looks very good.
    I also recreated that once.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Beautiful! Could very much be a picture of the set.
    Have you identified the chair model being used? I've been trying to do that myself for my USS Victory conference room, to no avail.
    Thanks. I tried and failed, eventually gave up. My guess is it was one of those that was so ubiquitous in offices that no one gave a fuck what it was. I ended up just building it based on the photos from that scene using another office chair as a general size reference.
    trekki wrote: »
    This looks very good.
    I also recreated that once.
    Thanks. I'd love to see your take on it.
    edited December 2020 #13
    There's something very weird going on with my carpet material (it shouldn't be dark on vertical surfaces like that) but other than that and some minor details, this is nearly finished:

dncjxnk0cxc1.png
    tuchd0170.jpg
    Post edited by seanr on
    McCWarp Propulsion LaboratoryraztovRekkertLizzy777
    Definitely some things not quite matching the original to fix there. Hard to see until you actually get the images stacked like that. ;)
    Most of the obvious issues fixed now:
    pkd7lix7llv7.png
    zcy3bj3nav50.png

Now mostly just some cleanup and one buffet table (with its cups and coffee pots) remaining.
    ashleytingerFreakLizzy777McC
    edited December 2020 #16
    sob3mffzpi7p.png
    w7jailhymwns.png
    577pidm2s7j4.png
    Post edited by seanr on
    ashleytingerFreaklewisnivenraztovLizzy777McC
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I always loved the kind of 'War Room' look they went for with this. You're doing a fantastic job recreating it.
    Thanks!

Incidentally, yesterday was the anniversary of the original intended release date for the movie. Not sure why, but it ended up coming out a week earlier, ultimately, but there was at least one poster design printed with the original date, IIRC.
    I remember getting into a big argument with my step-mother over going to see this. It was 'PG-13' and that might be a little 'adult'. A) I was fourteen at the time (three months from 15) and B) IT'S STAR TREK. The non-Tarantino variety even. Which are also the points my Dad made to her before he gave me 15 bucks and drove me to the theater for the Saturday night showing. ;)
    darkthunderMcC
    LOL, nice. My mother _hates_ Star Trek ("with a passion", as she said around that time), but still took me to see that one because I'd gotten second place in my school's geography bee (first place prize actually was two tickets to the movie). Her dislike certainly had nothing to do with perceived violence - she took us kids to see Natural Born Killers and Pulp Fiction in the theater at the time for Christ's sake. :lol: You must be just a bit older than me, I'd turned thirteen a few weeks before ST6 came out. ;)
    I was born the year Star Wars first graced the theaters. ;) I was destined to become a sci-fi nerd.
    Lizzy777Freak