Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2D & 3DJourney-Class Starship USS Endeavour WIP

x4to9wvzhe4d.jpg

Journey-Class Multi-Mission Cruiser USS Endeavour NCC-74724

Hi all! Long time lurker here. I’ve been so inspired by many of you here and your amazing models that I decided it was finally time to join in. I’m a pretty intermediate 3Der. With my day job in video production, editing, mograph, etc I’ve used 3D modeling sparingly myself and usually have had others work on that portion for me. But in the past few months I’ve been trying to increase my modeling skills and I think I’m finally at a place where I can (at least) start to model a Star Trek starship. I have a long way to go and I’ll be learning much on the fly and asking for advice. Suffice it to say, this will be a long term project. And I'll continue to use this thread for all things related to the USS Endeavour, not just the exterior model.

This is something that I’ve wanted to do since I was a teenager back 1996 when rumors started to float around about what the “new” Enterprise-E was going to look like. Man I’m feeling old!! Back then I sketched a starboard orthographic view of a ship in a school notebook and the design has stuck with me all these years. It’s nothing radical for sure, but it’s something I’ve always liked.

In a nutshell, she's a mid-size cruiser about the size of an Excelsior (currently at about 490m long), yet with the long lines of the Sovereign. I'm very much going for the Intrepid aesthetic overall though. So right now the saucer section in particular looks a lot like it. As I continue to add details it shouldn't come off like a kitbash. Her secondary hull is very Galaxy-Class inspired and I'm a huge fan of Star Trek Online's Regent-Class, so I borrowed a little from that ship as well. But this ship would fit nicely in the early 2370's of Trek.

So far I’ve spent a ton of time working out the base overall shape of the ship. Trying to get the lines and proportions just right to my eye and trying my darnest to keep the typology as clean as possible (something I'm still learning to do). The warp nacelles are just stand-ins right now, aside for their general size, nothing is going be kept.

Oh, I'm also a sucker for involved backstories for things I create that can fit neatly inside of Trek cannon. If anyone has an interest in that story, ship specs, etc I’ll gladly post that wall of text. (So cannonistas I do have a head-cannon reason how she can be called Endeavour in this era of Trek ;-) )

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!

a1al0s2mii4e.jpg
RekkertBolianAdmiralLizzy777lennier1publiusromnipotentJESRory1707

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Welcome to the forums! This looks like a great design so far, I like your take on the classic Starfleet ship shape. :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Yeah, I’m liking the shape so far... interested to see where you take this.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Quite sleek
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Side view reminds me of my Evenstar Class.

Really solid design so far.
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    loving the side view, very balanced saucer and secondary hull shape, im not a huge fan of the thick nacelle pylons but im looking forward to seeing some more :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    edited December 2020 #7
    Welcome to the forums.
    She a really nice design. I take it the main shuttlebay is inspired by the cargo area on the Excelsior?

By all mean post the ship backstory and spec. There are a few of us that get a kick out of that sort of stuff.
    What software are you working in?
    Post edited by Freak on
  • AgaethonAgaethon22 Posts: 6Member
    edited December 2020 #8
    @Rekkert - Thank you very much for the warm welcome and comments!

@BolianAdmiral & @publiusr - Thank you!!

@Vortex5972 - Thanks! I actually searched for your Evenstar-Class. You're right it sort of does!

@omnipotent - Thanks, I spent a ton of time on those proportions. I'm a bit picky about that on Starfleet ships and getting the side view right was important to me. Because that's what I originally drew back in '96 the entire ship is really designed from that view first. As for the pylons, I'm not 100% happy with them either. I've been noodling around with them, nothing to show for it yet though.

@Freak - Thanks for the welcome and kind words. Yes, the lower shuttle bay is definitely inspired by the Excelsior's cargo area. I always thought it made sense seeing how much open space there is there. Actually I envision it being a shuttlebay/cargo bay, sort of the way the refit Connie has it in TMP. And, sure, I'd love the post the backstory and specs. I'll clean that up and post that soon. I'm working in Blender, Photoshop when making the texture maps, and I'll use After Effects to spruce up any renders I do.
    Post edited by Agaethon on
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Nice work! Welcome!
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • AgaethonAgaethon22 Posts: 6Member
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    Well, if you’re going with the name Endeavour, you oughta have a good explanation, seeing as how the Nebula class was around until at least 2373.

I’m not sure about the use of Nova type nacelles, when everything else is pretty ovoid. I know that this might risk making the Journey look too much like the Evenstar and Allegiance class, but might I suggest a pair of nacelles more like the Galaxy and/or Intrepid family?

It’s hard to tell from here, but also be sure not the place the nacelles up too high to block the bussard collectors.

Other than saying that I love the narrow fantail, I can’t think of anything else constructive to say for the moment, other than I would like to see where you take this.
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    No crits but I'm liking the overall shape and design! Will be nice to watch it progress.