Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

The Mandalorian [Spoilers]

GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
edited September 2020 in General Discussion #1
UnrealisticSneakyDassie-small.gif

So, here's the latest:

I haven't actually seen S1 yet, since Disney+ won't be available for another two weeks or so over here, but I'm really looking forward to it. I've heard good things. :)

Anyway, let's get a thread going...

[edit]: Huh, Twitter embeds are busted. Weird. Anyway, Season 2 on October 30.
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-season-two-october-30
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
Join our fancy Discord Server!
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Season 1 was fantastic, I think it's the best Star Wars they've done since the Disney buyout. I'm super excited about season 2.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    edited September 2020 #3
    Season 1 was an excellent example of how multiple directors can tell a cohesive and comprehensive story without completely shitting on each others ideas, or resorting to banal fan service to fill in gaps their own ego won't let them see.

Pity they didn't crack that before the sequel trilogy.
    Post edited by Samurai on
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    @Samurai, that and the fact that they had a plan of what they wanted season 1 to be.
    With the Disney Trilogy they never mapped out where they wanted to go and let each director do their own thing. JJ rips off ANH and add set up for the following movies but does not care were it goes after he is done with his film. (The man calls himself a Star Wars fan.)
    Johnson throw everything JJ set up out and does he own thing. Trevorrow does not get to see what Johnson is doing until just before it comes out.
    With Fisher death, He asks for TLJ ending to be changed so he can work with Fisher death and is told no and to re-write his script. Which he does and is rejected and is fired.
    They bring back JJ to fix to Johnson Mess. with no plan on who to do and it rumoured that with all the reshoots going on. the Budget ballooned to around $400 Million making it the most expensive film of all time. (That is not including Marketing costs as well.)

It should also be noted that Disney originally wanted JJ to film all three films. But he turned it down as he did not want to live in the UK for six years.
    Now I no fan of JJ big screen outing, but with one person doing all the films. It would have been far better than want actually came out.

Anyway back to the subject of the thread. I loved Season 1. Is it the best show on? No. Is it the best scifi? No. But it is the best Star Wars to come out of Disney.
    Now I am wondering if Disney are looked at the TV show that Lucas tired to get off the ground. Maybe put that into production.
    All the work is done on a pre-production side and it has some of the biggest names in TV that have written scripts for it such as Ronald D. Moore.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I have to say after the Disney movie trilogy i really wasn't interested in this show... but we had Disney plus and that damn baby yoda got the better of me.... and i have to say that i was blown away...

Now when i say blown away i meant that it wasn't garbage, this isn't anything revolutionary (well the making of it was haha)... but this is kind of how tv shows used to be.. its really simple.. and effective... it isn't peppered with any of the politics you see in everything today. It just goes to show that with the right person steering the ship its possible to make a series about a guy with a bucket on his head who does talk much compelling.... I seem to hate everything at the minute, so actually enjoying something was a real treat....

i cant wait for season 2.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    What show are you guys talking about?

Because the Mandalorian S1 I watched was total dog doo. The story was crap, the acting was flat, the storylines for the episodes were WAY too compressed and a baby of Yoda's species causes all that mayhem? For the love of good fiction WHY? This show tried so hard to BE Star Wars it came out as a very weak attempt.

Annnndddd riiiiiiiiiiiiiigggghhhhhhhhhhhhttt, a Mando warrior is gonna leave his ship unprotected without some kind of security system parked in Jawa country? Then he magically is able to recover every part and undo the "chop shop" damage? Many WTF moments like that throughout the season.

Too many plot holes of a stupid nature to call this anything other than what is was...Garbage. I'll agree it was better fiction and entertainment than eps 7 thru 9, but I was quite disappointed.

Frankly, I think we're being fed so much total garbage from Hollycommiewood anymore everyone's threshold of what's actually good vs. what we all would have said 15 years ago has dropped into the basement.

At best, it was "entertaining." The FX and CGI were the show's only real positive
    @sorceress21 I don't think i'd disagree with anything you've said...

But despite that i was entertained... which i'm just so happy about haha.. because its all too rare these days.. it was nice not having to pause it every 5 minutes to take a breath.. center myself and wonder why i'm torturing myself with this show... we're 8 episodes in...... its not going to get any better....

it remind me of sitting and watching airwolf, or the ateam when i was a kid...
    Please tell me which episode of Star Wars (movie or TV show) has the world's best writing and isn't full of plot holes. Star Wars is an action fantasy franchise. (not even really Sci-Fi, though it is widely considered to be Sci-Fi) The writing is usually pretty strong, but it's nothing earth shattering. Going back to the original film, the story is very basic. The plot itself is nothing more than a simple "bad guys have a doomsday device and the good guys have to race against time to stop it." It's a basic plot that was already really old by the time that movie was made. It also uses the old cliche of an evil oppressive government being taken on by a tiny band of freedom fighters.

What makes Star Wars fun is the action and the atmosphere. The original movie is almost nonstop action, starting right at the beginning with the Star Destroyer capturing the Tantive IV and the ensuing firefight aboard the rebel ship, and ending with the nail biting Death Star battle. (the ceremony at the end is just an epilogue) It's fun and exciting. Plus, you're treated to a whole world of cool devices, alien beings and awesome space ships. So, it's really easy to forget that the plot is very basic. It even has some really dumb dialog, like the much lamented "it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs." Obviously, George Lucas meant for "parsec" to refer to a measure of time in the SW universe without taking into account (or maybe not even knowing) that a parsec is a real world measure of length. And, there are plot holes a plenty. For example, why can't Stormtroopers who are supposedly so precise hit a few humans and a Wookiee in a small(ish) corridor? But, at the end of the day, nobody cares. It's a fantastic movie, loads of fun and is considered a classic that helped make the Sci-Fi genre mainstream.

The point is, Star Wars isn't that deep. It has never had the best writing or the deepest plots. There are plenty of things you can pick apart from all of the movies and shows. But, we love the older stuff and people complain about the newer stuff, despite the fact that little has actually changed with Star Wars in 43 years. In fact, Sci-Fi as a whole and the way a lot of it has changed into fast paced action with little plot exposition and lots of things that go boom, is all due to the popularity of Star Wars. It's a formula that has worked all of these years for Star Wars, so other franchises are trying to copy it, with varying levels of success.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    edited September 2020 #9
    They didn't need to be deep and "depth" of story isn't what I was talking about. The original 3 episodes released, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were all spectacularly done. There was a clear "passion" put into their production that is simply missing from everything made since. The simplicity of the story was actually part of what made them so great! Those films defined an entire age of science fiction fandom. The stories were wonderful allegories of the classic good vs. evil fight. They were all well acted and well produced.

Then Lucas sold out and the downward spiral towards total garbage began. While Eps I thru III were far superior to anything from Disney they still fell short to capture the magic of the original three releases.

I stand by my opinion, the Mandalorian is total crap. You want proof that really good scifi can be and is being made?

The Expanse, The reboot of BSG, Farscape, Babylon 5 etc..There was no reason for Disney to turn the Mandalorian into a social politics statement and 40 min long toy sales commercial series. They could have gone deeper. I had high hopes for this series so perhaps I set myself up for disappointment.

But then again, what did anyone expect from a company that may as well be the official propaganda studio for China and American Marxism.
    Post edited by sorceress21 on
    hmmmm... oh i see this is what it must be like to be a discovery fan... =)
    edited September 2020 #11
    This was an uncalled for post that said things that I shouldn't have said about someone else's opinion. I'm editing it now because I was out of line and I would also like to apologize to anyone who read it and was offended by what I had said. Everyone has a right to express their opinions and I have no right to make snarky remarks about their opinions.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Star wars has always been one long toy commercial?? That scene in the opening of duck tales is based on george Lucas's morning routine.. from selling star wars merchandise... I've just bought the lego mandalorian set.. me and my two kids are going to sit and build it tomorrow.. I cant wait to hear the crash of It hitting the floor after taking 6 hours to build..

I'm still going to reccomend that guerrilla check out the mandalorian.. I have no comment on Chinese propaganda or marxism... I was just happy to watch something that felt more like star wars than anything I'd seen in a long time..
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Won't watch it yet, since we're only getting one episode a week over here, but here's S2 trailer:

After two episodes, I'm rather enjoying it. This is the correct way to do Star Wars in my opinion. Tell smaller stories, and make it a western (or whatever classic genre), but Star Wars, instead of strip mining the original trilogy and hope you hit a nostalgia nerve somewhere. :)
    Cool Glad you're liking it so far... couldn't agree more.. i'm just glad to be looking forward to watching new episodes of something haha...

I've seen a few videos about internal politics behind the scenes of season 2.. but i'm going to do the same with season 2 as season 1.. have no expectations, i feel.... this is the way!!
    edited October 2020 #15
    I watched the first episode this evening with the kids. My wife and I are 30... something.. our daughter is 8 or son is 7.. while I have to admit I did have the feeling of, let's see how theyve ruined this, in the back of my mind as I hit play... i really enjoyed it... I could go on.. but I'll wait to see what other people thought of it... for now i'm just going to bask in the joy or actually enjoying watching something new that we can all sit and watch together..
    Post edited by markmassey on
    I'm no Star Wars fan (though I enjoy the none Disney films).
    I enjoyed it, but like the first season it a simple story. But I am glad it was 50mins instead of being 25-35 mins.
    Yea it is a very minimal story... but i dnt think that's necessarily a bad thing.. not that Disney need me to defend them... i just mean compared to the usual cram it with plot lines that go nowhere or make no sense anyway.... I'm not saying its revolutionary or anything... i think i just like it because i can watch it (with my kids) without wanting to throw something at the screen every 5 minutes..... which in this day and age i'll take... :)
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    All caught up now over here as well. :)

I'm really enjoying it, and the old fashioned episodic western is just the right format for a Star Wars story in my opinion. The original trilogy was all about putting a twist on Kurosawa and pulp magazines, so a traditional format and smaller stories work really well in the setting. Not everything needs to be end of the universe stakes. Those should be earned and built up to.

Some random thoughts:
    • Timothy Olyphant certainly gets typecast :p
    • The Mandalorian is really bad for local wildlife. Those krayt dragons are probably endangered...
    • So, I guess that was Boba Fett in the end. I honestly never understood the fascination with him or Mandalorians before. I mean he was mostly a cool costume in the movies, and he wasn't even that clever. Vader did most of the work catching Solo and Fett's little sarlac encounter was a pretty goofy way to go. I'm sure Mandalorians were very interesting in the expanded universe, but as a counterpoint I don't care about the expanded universe. I just watched the films and played a few games. :p They are certainly more interesting subject matter now, since I've been watching them for a season, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with him. He probably wants his stuff back, although why he didn't just take his stuff back from Cobb? He's supposed to be pretty badass, you know, when he's not being accidentally taken out by blind smugglers.
    • Nice to see Favreau writing and directing. Much better use of his time than Lion King
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    • Timothy Olyphant certainly gets typecast :p

He's been in several other movies and shows, but yes he seems to enjoy the "Marshall" type role. Justified, Deadwood and now Mandalorian. But he does it so well, so I forgive him for that.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Naw see, Boba Fett is cool because he, umm. . . well, you see he is. . . umm. . . he was a small action figure and we all had one and played with him until his limbs were loose, making him capture or kill Luke Skywalker with the lame-ass bent lightsaber. That's why Boba Fett is cool. Was cool. He is so big because he was big in our imaginations, until about 8th grade when you know, playing with action figures was for kids. Yeah, what did he do? You think he told Jabba Vader gave him Solo, or did he lie about it? "Hey, I was chasing Solo through the carbonite machinery and he fell in. I was like, shit maybe it will work, I don't know. So I froze his ass. Here you go."

The Marshal: I shared Mando's disbelief in having to return to Tatooine. What, again? Kryat dragon was a little too Dune. That was the only minor, minor, minor nitpicks I noticed. I did notice that Lucas used animals as a means to compete with technology, Favreau kills the hell out of them. They should have shown the Sandpeople pulling the remains of that one guy of theirs that got eaten out of the carcass. That would have been cool.

The Passenger: Loved how everything got worse and worse. Spider eggs a little too Alien. Would have been nice to see Mando get them out that situation, but I guess they had to tie up The Prisoner loose ends. Baby Jesus Yoda sure was hungry. You don't want to boil those first? Try them scrambled with mayo and cheese.
    “If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from.”

3PO must have been thinking, really???... this planet is literally the center of the universe!!!
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    The cruiser in the latest ep looks really cool in live action.
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    It’s amazing in general, how good that show looks. I don’t know, if there’s any word on budget but I’m pretty sure, most of this would hold up really well on the big screen.
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    I read somewhere they used the budget in season 1 to make the volume, so season 2 they had more for the actual episodes.
    The cruiser taking off was a really nice scene.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    I woke up early today and watched chapter 11 and without spoiling it, it was great.
  • richiewilchrichiewilch57 Posts: 41Member
    Chapter 11 was fantastic, and that cruiser looked so good. I think that the connections to the wider Star Wars Universe, specifically in this case the links to Clone Wars and Rebels just makes entire story seem richer and deeper to me.

And the "landing" was incredibly funny.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    I'm sure everyone who had seen Clones Wars recognized Din Djarin was rescued by Death Watch as evidenced by their sigils, and that helmet rule only applied to them. Nice to see Amazon Prime's Det. Bosch in Imperial garb (Titus Welliver). That was an unexpected surprise. Surprised they are getting to Ahsoka so soon. Or at least eluding to it. I expected her to show up in the season finale. I guess we'll see.
    I enjoyed this episode.. I've not seen any of the animated shows so my knowledge of the wider universe is limited to what the movies hint at. But I'm happy to say that the show is really doing a good job of expanding the universe.. as opposed to just rehashing familiar story elements.. next episode might be a little short though... the razorcrest isnt going to survive another reentry....
    I enjoyed the episode. My only complaint about this show is it is too short.
    This was the biggest complaint for the first season. When we got first episode of this season and it being nearly an hour long, I though sweet they were listening. But I guess not.
    Bigd524
    Seen a couple of videos talking about how mediocre the show is... I mean i know people hate Disney and the Disney trilogy but I'm still really enjoying the show.... we're getting subtle under tones of a larger story... great to see familiar characters again.. i have to say cara dune is a great character... it's a shame she's not been in it more.. the beat cop x-wing pilots make me smile... my only issue is knowing that this ultimately ties into the force awakens.. and that kind of feels like a dead end, which is a bit of a shame... maybe they could set this in a mirror universe where the Disney trilogy didn't happen.... :)
    Have to say another fantastic episode of the mandalorian tonight... and again bitter sweet thinking about how great starwars could have been under disney.. we've had 3 episodes now where mando has met 3 really strong female characters and absolutely nothing has been made of it... I mean they just exist in the show... kick ass women.... and nobody has had to stop and say how amazing and strong any of them are.... great stuff... I haven't seen any of the animated series but ashoka tano.. my word... the actress playing her did an incredible job... as with most of the people mando has gotten to know, I wish she was going with them to the next episode... I wasnt sure what to expect from the jedi we were waiting to meet... but wow this was far more than I was expecting.. I'll say it again.. it's a crime that this tv show is far superior In every way to the movie trilogy they vomited out...