Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Yeah an Odyssey shot seems like a no brainer. :). All the windows are position now and I've started cutting them. Then I got bored and did a render, as usual...

ir4jo8hmpn1j.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777Hilk_v001McCLeoBerlinFreakBrandenbergfroggi3
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    surly he wouldn't go to all this effort to blow it up :)
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    You Maniacs! You blew it up!

Wait... wrong franchise...

she's looking amazing!
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Damn!! That's very, very nearly photorealistic. Awesome job.
    markmassey wrote: »
    surly he wouldn't go to all this effort to blow it up :)

of course not, we need to see the good guys winning for a bit!
    You Maniacs! You blew it up!

Wait... wrong franchise...

she's looking amazing!

thanks!
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Damn!! That's very, very nearly photorealistic. Awesome job.

Thanks, I used a studio HDRI for the lighting on that one and really like the look.
    Engineering hull windows all in, well, top side anyway.

ymf4p3grjkv0.png
    Lizzy777raztovashleytingermdtaMcCLeoBerlinFreakBrandenbergsrspicerWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    edited October 2020 #308
    Refinement on the post processing after some suggestions on discord.

4hlc2s1tsttp.png
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    mdtaMcCLizzy777FreakMadKoiFishBrandenbergsrspicerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiral
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Aw dat's nice. Dat's real nice dere.
    lewisniven
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Those are some really nice Pictures.
    lewisniven
    Freak wrote: »
    Those are some really nice Pictures.

Thanks very much! Let's just hope no one needs to get off the ship in a hurry, someone forgot to turn the escape pod layer on, doh!
    Now she's looking real. Those refinements worked great. Incredibly looking model.

I guess the escape pods don't arrive until Tuesday? :p
    lewisnivenAgaethonWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    She's one helluva model! :+1:
    lewisniven
    So once I started mapping the panel lines out it became clear that the secondary hull shape wasn't quite right. So yeah, had to re-work that, and re-cut all the windows. Great. Anyway, here we are again, top windows all back in place.

6nuap3ua7e5w.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratorydarkthunderMcCBolianAdmiralLizzy777kadenMadKoiFishFreakraztovashleytinger
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    This looks fantastic. Loving the dedication you're giving to this project! :+1:
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    edited November 2020 #316
    never been a fan of tha Galaxy but holy shit this is by far the best ive ever seen and having sifted thru the pages you have made me a fan! truly inspiring!

A question about your windows and a general one for modeling trek ships are you just cutting/Boolean/Stenceling the windows into a froozen subD hull?
    (nvm i found the page where you showed some examples ;) )
    Post edited by omnipotent on
    lewisniven
    omnipotent wrote: »
    never been a fan of tha Galaxy but holy shit this is by far the best ive ever seen and having sifted thru the pages you have made me a fan! truly inspiring!

A question about your windows and a general one for modeling trek ships are you just cutting/Boolean/Stenceling the windows into a froozen subD hull?

Haha thanks! Yeah there's a video a few pages back I think. But in essence; knife project (or stencil) the window on. Inset a bit to get the geo to support a bevel, then extrude in to get the glass. Then I seperate the glass to a new object and delete the 'frame'. The frame is coming from a solidify modifier, and there's a bevel modifier on the mesh too with an angle limit so it auto bevels all the window frames.

lewisniven wrote: »
    omnipotent wrote: »

Haha thanks! Yeah there's a video a few pages back I think. But in essence; knife project (or stencil) the window on. Inset a bit to get the geo to support a bevel, then extrude in to get the glass. Then I seperate the glass to a new object and delete the 'frame'. The frame is coming from a solidify modifier, and there's a bevel modifier on the mesh too with an angle limit so it auto bevels all the window frames.

yes i was mostly curious as to how you epic trek modelers go about it when it comes to the windows but i saw it was a freeze then stenciling and dealing with potential geometry issues after ;)

lewisniven
    For anything with more than a handful of windows it's not practical to do it in the subd cage. I suspect there's a way to do it with decals (like mesh machine decals) but I was keen to do mine in full geo. It's a lot of cleanup and its tedious but it gives the best results imo.
    McC
    edited November 2020 #320
    lewisniven wrote: »
    For anything with more than a handful of windows it's not practical to do it in the subd cage. I suspect there's a way to do it with decals (like mesh machine decals) but I was keen to do mine in full geo. It's a lot of cleanup and its tedious but it gives the best results imo.

Noted ty! and indeed i considered a textured aproach with my mesh and sure i can make it look good but it will allways look like somewhat of a miniture/subdivided game asset rather then something physical like yours.

Post edited by omnipotent on
    Panel lines all cut in the top of the secondary hull. made a start aztecing too.

97i24t8n2l8p.png
    RekkertWarp Propulsion LaboratoryHunter GomnipotentkadenFreakMadKoiFishraztovLizzy777McC
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Looking absolutely amazing, I was placed on page 10 when I clicked the thread, scrolling through coming across all the progression images and just jaw dropping every time. lol
    lewisniven
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Well call me Micky D, cause I'm lovin it! I could see this used to remaster the series, especially the chonky one from later in the series
    lewisniven
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Perfect. Are the panel line cut or texture mapped?
    Thanks @nightfever , everything is proper geometry.
    edited November 2020 #326
    Got a good chunk of the secondary hull aztecs done, the bits inside the panel lines anyway. Still some more tweaks and details to add but the gist is there.

0ojxp6mount6.png
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    omnipotentsrspicerRekkertLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryMcCashleytingerFreakBolianAdmiral
    There are no words. <--- Except for them.
    lewisniven
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    woo testy.
    lewisniven
    So after some back and forth on the discord it became apparent the dirt layer on the roughness map was far too prominent, and was kinda killing the scale of the ship as well as masking the aztecs, so I've taken that down a fair bit;

yxkfu2swkf2a.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryMcCdarkthunderLizzy777MadKoiFishashleytingerBolianAdmiral
    Weird little greeble pits, not idea what they are but I took a quick pass. No need to go hyper detailed on these I don't think.

l2879fvn9nbx.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralRekkertLizzy777Freak