Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAlaska-Class Starship

2»

• publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    My favorite saucer design.

Now I like the round deflector—the two dark spaces to either side can be Death Blossom tube clustered.

Call it a Heavy Drone Cruiser—a proto Balmung
    edited November 2020 #33
    Post edited by publiusr on
    BolianAdmiral
  • ThePhxRisesThePhxRises22 Posts: 10Member
    Glad to see some others are as intrigued by this design as we were. I've grown really fond of it working on the mesh and I'd safely call it one of my favorite trek ships. Definitely needs the slimmer streamlined secondary hull on this version though, the original design's looks like a boat, lol.
    BolianAdmiral
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Yeah... I know the original differs somewhat in dimensions, but I gave you the orthos I did because they're more "cleaned up"... if you notice on the original, the top view and the side view don't match up, as to the profile of the secondary hull... the refs I gave fixed that issue, and as you said, the dimensions work a bit better.
    Yeah the top view on the original is a bit of a trainwreck imo, the side and front views are killer though, and the refs I worked off of are faithful to those perspectives while improving the top view.
    BolianAdmiral
    The top and side views have secondary hulls of different lengths. This is a club-ship version.

In the blueprint--the sec' hull is a bit wider--I like that.
    edited November 2020 #38
    publiusr wrote: »
    In the blueprint--the sec' hull is a bit wider--I like that.

Yeah like I said, I personally think the secondary hull just looks too much like a boat in those blueprints, it's very unwieldy. The front of the secondary hull in this version is almost as wide as the original, it just tapers to a much thinner width as it goes back. That way the shuttlebay can closely resemble the Constitution class, and the overall look is much more streamlined.
    publiusr wrote: »
    The top and side views have secondary hulls of different lengths.

Additionally, the height of the secondary hull differs from side view to front view. The front view depicts it as freakishly short when compared to its immense width.

I must admit however, that from the perspective of this being a massive battle cruiser, the larger secondary hull does seem to make more sense. However, being unable to find any mention of its scale, I imagined it as somewhere between the Constitution and Excelsior Classes.
    Post edited by ThePhxRises on
    BolianAdmiral
    The circular dish means the "dead space" to either side of the deflector might be a good set of modular snap-in emplacements...I can see Death blossom missile tubes or a phased array grid to either side of the dish.

raser 13 was doing a physical model of this version, right? I remember seeing that at starshipmodeler but it dropped off the board before I could bump it.
    BolianAdmiral
    I had no idea anyone had ever attempted a physical model! Would you happen to have any images of it, or a link?
    edited September 2021 #41
    No, it fell off the Starship modeler board. Razer13 was the member of Starship modeler.net who started the build.

The latest drawing of this concept--a new take:
    https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/wip-alaska-class.309057/page-2#post-13897499
    Post edited by publiusr on
    BolianAdmiral
    That’s beautiful work.