Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOdyssey Class

• darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Ship already looks a lot better than the ingame STO version 😁
    omnipotent
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    markmassey wrote: »
    Hold on hold on... how have we gone from low poly mesh to pretty much finished model in 3 day??????

this would take at least 3 months looooool :'( man i suck haha...

Awesome progress in all seriousness.... never seen this design before...

pfft, the last few places i have worked as a 3d artist id be lucky to get 3 days for a model of similar complexity but i guess having worked in small studious where projects change evry other day for the last few years has taught me something when it comes to actually comitting to geo and running with it, however there are some issues with the subD mesh so i may take a few steps backwards in order to fix those issues and add to my time spent on this.

and naw mate you dont suck i love your geometry work and i am more then familiar with not being able to comitt and endlessly keep tweaking things :)

well Star trek online is free and there are odyssey ships all over the galaxy in there so if you are intrested then try it out, however it is quite a buggy game but flying trek ships around space has its charm even with all the game issues :)
    Ship already looks a lot better than the ingame STO version 😁
    that was the initial goal so im glad im getting closer to that ;)

Lots of geo cleanup aswell as a start to the texture and shading :)

eyyamto9tf8p.png
    kybi2qtn937s.png
    xx7cuw6j8901.png
    1ucupcd4bt9l.png
    RekkertsrspicerLizzy777McCJESJMP11
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    she looks lovely :)
    omnipotent
    she looks lovely :)
    naw not yet but she is getting there ;)

edited November 2020 #37
    So some progress made... aswell as some obvious changes such as me changing the secondary impulse exhausts from being inside the nacelle pylons which to me is beyond stupid as i dont see how there is any room in there for impule engines... and instead taking advantage of the unused areas at the rear of the secondary hull and to me that makes more sense also she has the turning radious of a fridge in game so if she wont turn atleast she should be fast in a straight line imo so 4x impulse ftw! also excuse the shitty nature of my panel texture it is temporary and i will do something better looking before i wrap this project up but i wanted to see it with something for now, also still lots of detail to add on the ventral side of the saucer aswell as some other micro details in certain areas to sell scale and add more depth aswell as detailing the deflector but i think i can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally :tired_face:

and i think we can all agree i have deviated enough from the original that it would def be called a refit or a variant at this point :)

b52hckg0my71.png
    4jbot1kdsgu7.png
    hdld4qf4rkj5.png
    peblz1aaj9ez.png
    y2pekxy498vg.png

Post edited by omnipotent on
    japetusBolianAdmiralFreakashleytingerlewisnivenLizzy777McCJES
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Beautiful!
    omnipotent
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I'd to see a breakdown of your render/compositing layers that last image is really nice..
    omnipotent
    I'd to see a breakdown of your render/compositing layers that last image is really nice..
    there isnt any, this is straight out of octane... usually all i do in post is add grain and do color correction if needed, these images i havnt touched since i rendered them.

• froggi3froggi3336 Posts: 25Member
    Great work, love the design.
    omnipotent
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Flows-Like-Water
    omnipotent
    edited November 2020 #43
    Spent yday rebuilding the material setup textures and lighting so not much added to the model itself except for some running lights but here is some eyecandy anyway :)

5rpdt07p6qeg.jpg
    7fz7b1j3gvp3.jpg
    ks33987mrb0p.jpg
    0gubtcdn2m93.jpg
    jd50w3kr8yrh.jpg
    8l2mwkwxey9s.png
    4ktev0ta4fq9.png
    oma1apd0zdc9.png

ashleytingerMcCBolianAdmiralRekkertkomarosrspicerLizzy777FreakJES
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    I'm absolutely in love with the warp nacelle texturing/materials... the blue glowy bits, and bussards, are those using a refractive material to create a blurry refraction of an illuminated object inside, or a static texture?
    omnipotent
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    The lighting on those renders is perfect.
    omnipotent
    edited November 2020 #46
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely in love with the warp nacelle texturing/materials... the blue glowy bits, and bussards, are those using a refractive material to create a blurry refraction of an illuminated object inside, or a static texture?

yeah i was surprised how well it turned out myself considering how much i hated the untextured nacelles while making them, and yes the textures are static images but it tried my best to get them to look like glass while maintaining the luma and still getting some depth out of them i am also using a dirt/ambocc node on the luma channel to get the dark to light falloff around the edges which helps get rid of the harsh edges basic img texturing leaves and blends it aswell as helping give the feel that light is coming from a "core" inside the nacelles, also the striped lines running across the glow surface have a hint of copper in them but you can only see that in direct light, currently the only issue is when the sunlight hits them the spechit deletes any detail from them but for other angles they def work and still have that glass-y feel.

The lighting on those renders is perfect.

Hah! my past supervisors would bitch and moan about the spec hits being to "hot" <3
    glad you like it!
    BolianAdmiral
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    edited November 2020 #48
    This makes me actually like the ship a lot more. It looks way better than the game version! I especially like the subtle texturing, since I love me a nice smooth hull.
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    omnipotent
    edited November 2020 #49
    Details details details... started adding a micro detail layer to the saucer for more depth to sell the scale, im
    also trying to go for a styling that looks more like an evolution of the sovreign rather then the default game model styling :+1:
    I also made sure to place the escape pods as instances just incase i decide to tweak them in the future .

paq4693szexy.jpg
    umriga0an360.png
    9gwihyny3p9r.png

RekkertashleytingerMcCLizzy777FreakJES
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    She looks so ... elegant here. CBS and STO really didn't do a good enough job promoting her. I mean, yeah, you've tweaked the design a bit, but you've done a better job representing the class than they ever have.
    omnipotentdarkthunder
    Couldn't agree more. She's actually a beauty now. Never was a big fan of the texturing style of her ingame.

I assume you're gonna be making the auxiliary shuttle as well at some point? The one usually wedged between the two aft impulse engines.
    omnipotent
    PLEASE post large orthos of this beauty when you're done! :D
    omnipotent
    edited November 2020 #53
    She looks so ... elegant here. CBS and STO really didn't do a good enough job promoting her. I mean, yeah, you've tweaked the design a bit, but you've done a better job representing the class than they ever have.
    Elegant is a good descript as i find the in-game model so harsh and lowpoly, and aye ive tweaked some things here and there but the "core" design elements are still the same, glad you like it and that you think im pulling it off :)
    Couldn't agree more. She's actually a beauty now. Never was a big fan of the texturing style of her ingame.

I assume you're gonna be making the auxiliary shuttle as well at some point? The one usually wedged between the two aft impulse engines.
    ah yes the U.S.S. Aquarius, at some point i might make it considering i left space for it but i would have to cancel the idea of the impulse exhaust i put pack there to fit it in but in the future maybe ;)
    PLEASE post large orthos of this beauty when you're done! :D
    Noted and will do! :)
    BolianAdmiral
    edited November 2020 #54
    More ventral detailing, very basic and still lacks more micro detailing but focusing on "negative space" (inset rather then extrude) on the ventral side of the saucer to echo that sovreign styling i was on about before, tho compared to the game model i have gone completly bonkers and my own way here but at this point idc also the game model lacks alot of detail under the saucer so i guess i have some wiggleroom to pimp it anyway i like :) (not sure that dual phaser strips is considered trek "kosher" tho)

Also if anyone is curious about the name and registry "Alexander" is my actual name and "850503" = may 3rd 1985 ie my birthday /funfact (and yes my ego is so huge i have to name ships after myself :D )

njlnmruv5syn.png
    7q0h5eoffaea.png
    ujpj4qltxtlp.png
    uyu9z9gy5zkm.png
    8yc8p7rzgzxp.png

Lizzy777McCBolianAdmiralFreakJES
    Wouldn't necessarily have to remove the impulse engines in the back. Just have them disabled, while the auxiliary craft is docked.

Could remove a 0 from your registry, and still be an homage to your date of birth (while being "relatively" era appropriate). How does NCC-85503 sound? :) (85, 5th month, 03rd day)
    omnipotentJES
    edited November 2020 #56
    Wouldn't necessarily have to remove the impulse engines in the back. Just have them disabled, while the auxiliary craft is docked.

Could remove a 0 from your registry, and still be an homage to your date of birth (while being "relatively" era appropriate). How does NCC-85503 sound? :) (85, 5th month, 03rd day)

Actually the Aquarius would need the space where i now have the exhausts as it uses that space to stick its warp nacelles even tho they fold out mechanicly from it it still uses that space somewhat :( but its a relativly easy fix once i fell like it. and hmm ill keep that in mind the name and registry is using transparant decals so its easy enough to change :)
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Wonderfull!!!
    omnipotent
    Toned down and balanced the lighting elements aswell as adding some light to the registry and name decals, its slowly getting closer to that look i have in the back of my head :)

u9bz6asit6ee.jpg
    673lince01lg.jpg
    zwx03at53paj.jpg

ashleytingerrojrenRekkertBolianAdmiralLizzy777FreakJES
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Amazing take on the ship, and the yellow deflector works a lot better than the official color IMO.
    omnipotentBolianAdmiral
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Amazing take on the ship, and the yellow deflector works a lot better than the official color IMO.
    Agreed! it also echoes more of the sovreign and adds a much needed warm accent color as there was far to much blue that made the ship feel very cold overall imo :)

Rekkert
    Another beauty shot from the side (fixed the overblown glow and light from the bussard and warp which imo balanced the whole thing compared to my earlier ones)

62pu3gesrf63.jpg
    RekkertBolianAdmiralLizzy777darkthunderFreakJES