Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVfx project Trek based ship

Hilk_v001Hilk_v00187 Posts: 37Member
edited June 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all,

Im working on a Vfx project as a student, and am currently working on a Trek based ( tng ) ship. But this is also a
childhood dream coming to be.:)

A little background information on the ship, i wont bother with a boring story so ill keep it short.

Era: TNG after Nemesis
Setting: klingon and Federation alliance project towards new neutral zone patrol with unknown race.

I wanted to give the feel federation ships have, but also the heavy fortified bulkyness of the klingon ships.
My first drawings although nice, didnt relate to this. Afterwards i did a refit in Illustrator, and painstakingly
refitted the ship to better suit its background. Also i wanted to definitly avoid making a kitbash,( no offence towards kitbash builders) it just needed have a sense of flow imho.

work in progress

hope u like it:argh:
110666.png
110665.png
110667.jpg
Post edited by Hilk_v001 on
publiusrJES
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Looks interesting...
  • Hilk_v001Hilk_v00187 Posts: 37Member
    Thx Aresius !, im working on it in modo.

Started with the main dish section. Trying to figure out how to do the back end atm.
    110669.JPG
    JES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. I like the design. :)
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    I like this already
    good to hear u like it !
    means im doing something right:D

i made the rear end of the main dish form, but i have some major reworking to do polywise.
    but the form in itself looks good to me, just need to do it the right way now.:)
    110670.JPG
    rear.JPG 251.2K
    JES
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Good start so far! And welcome to the site :)
    Thanks Hunter !!
    Update time:

Got the main dish poly's correctly made, and finished the top dish form.
    :)
    110674.JPG110675.JPG
    JES
    It looks great so far. Nice and smooth.
    Helen1976 wrote: »
    Wow, looks good! How long have you been working on this?
    I'm just a beginner and I'm wondering how long does it take to finish such project.
    I really like the design! Keep up the good work! :)

Helen

hi helen, thx

i had the idea from way back in highschool. so the first drawings were from that period.
    The refit i did, took quite some time. Cause i had to figure out just how the flow of the hull would be and try to put that in all of the views ( about 2 weeks, had to learn illustrator ). Modelling it is going a lot faster than i expected. (about a month)

but to answer your question all in all ( minus a 15 year mothbolling it and other projects) id say... couple of months
    It depends on how much time u put into it. When it'l be finished?? cant say atm, but i will finish it !:D
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Nice. Looks somewhat Probert-ish.
    hi,
    im trying out the nav. thrusters.
    not quite sure if i should go with seperate meshes
    or cut out the thrusters form in the hull..

opinions??:confused:
    110690.JPG110691.JPG
    JES
    hi, leaving the thrusters for a bit, made the nacelle and hull first.

not too sure about the forward part of the hull where the deflector should be,
    i tried a more soevy version, but im not entirly fond of it. so im gonna make a
    shorter version of the forward hull extension
    110695.JPG110696.JPG110697.JPG
    srspicerJES
    The secondary hull and nacelles are looking good so far. For the thrusters, I would do them as a separate object.
    hi,

Started testing the impuls engines and lighting for it.

I'd like to thank MadKoiFish in advance cause his Saber class engines did inspire me.:)
    110700.JPG110701.JPG
    japetusevil_genius_180JES
    hi
    its been a while but im slowly continuing with my ship.

small updatev4qanrjddisk.jpg
    jdq8wnuoyqrb.jpg
    6euktf3ccaan.jpg
    LeoBerlinRekkertLizzy777publiusrFreakjapetusevil_genius_180JES
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome back!
    Beautifull ship.
    Hilk_v001
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I am really liking look of this ship.
    currently trying to make phasers, i can make straight phasers , but i cant seem to get them to bend smoothly on like the dish does, just cant find the right tool perhapsdh716ljg18hh.jpg
    evil_genius_180JES
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    What software are you using?
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    edited September 2020 #22
    Looks like you need more polys, I can see the faceting. Seems like it'd be nice and smooth if you just added like 3 or 4 times more horizontally
    Post edited by japetus on
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    Take your straight phasers and look for a spline follow or path follow in your software to bend them to it. If you want it to follow the hull in a exact path detach a spline from a edge selection. I think all software will have a feature like this. Usually a path to modifier or tool will have the ability to rotate the object along the spline as well so you can align it to the hull tilt. Seeing you have some short ones on the spine area you can take one and cut off the end and splice in more "segments" to extend them so this eliminates having to remodel and replicate them manually.

There are other methods as well like rollercoastering segments so it is easier to produce a object that fits the length you want without guessing. But I do not know what software your using and if it has scripts or ways to do this.
    In max I generally create a long chain of central segments bend those and rotate endcaps to fit. This way I can delete segments to fit the section of hull then cap it off.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    im using Modo 901

i copied the hull poly's and used the center edgeline, then edge beveld it but well thats what i got.
    ill try out what u suggested.
    It's good to see you back at it. I like the details along the bridge and spine area. :)
    thx,

ive tried several tools but but my version of modo doesnt have just the right tool for the job. Apparently Max can do this so im looking into trying it out on that programme. meanwhile i made a new rough version of the nacelles and integrated them with the hull. im kinda happy how it turned out.still needs details, lighting ect ect.nlxbu2cm0sff.jpg
    664gaqbpegb3.jpg
    Lizzy777publiusrFreakJESwolfman
  • JESJES392 Posts: 195Member
    The more that I look at this, the more than I'm reminded of the Achilles class.
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Really liking the forms you have. FWIW, I like the the thrusters as add-on, as if they were manufactured as a unit and inserted into the hull. Just my ¢2.
    Hilk_v001
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    JES wrote: »
    The more that I look at this, the more than I'm reminded of the Achilles class.

Hahaha yeah when I first saw it, reminded me of when I first did the Achilles class model... Never was happy with my original model one of these days will get around to making a better one.

Hilk_v001 awesome start, liking the progress. Can't wait to see the next updates.
    yeah, the achilles class was great, i remember playing it in Bridge Commander.

Havent had a lot of time lately. the more i work on it i seem to be drifting from my original. think ill rework the underside hull completely. doesnt fit anymore i think. needs to be more in sync with the rest.

holidays are coming, ill have time to tinker then :)