Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOdyssey Class

omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
edited April 2021 in Work in Progress #1
54iby3gpr0yt.png

I usually dont make Wip threads but making an exception for once in order to maybe help motivate me to finish it and as i recently dove into STO i fell in love with this thing.

A few hours put in sofar but i think it is coming along, the Geo under/inbetween the "necks" was a bit of a pain in the rear but as thats now sorted i can move onto bigger fish.

zgwvs23ssrzo.png
ofnocoxi5990.png
a4uw3m8uiphx.png
6qw7pwxqrpvi.png

Post edited by omnipotent on
BolianAdmiralP5ych0p4thLizzy777wolfmanFreakJES
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Nice start.
    omnipotent
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    Nice start.

Rough but coming along :)
    BolianAdmiral
    edited November 2020 #4
    Slight geo cleanup before i move onto the nacelles etc.

Lots more cleanup to do but aiming to get the basic shapes done before i go into hard cleanup/freezing/detailing.

lpzgh6zdc4zu.png
    lv4ofkti9tju.png
    nkw6qe3gr7rs.png
    ldogztewcbbs.png
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777FreakJES
    edited November 2020 #5
    Almost forgot about the saucer impulse exhausts :astonished:

0oooq3kzub3w.png
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777FreakJES
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    looking great. Are you planning to sub-d it?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Never been a fan of the design, but I admire your execution!
    edited November 2020 #8
    lewisniven wrote: »
    looking great. Are you planning to sub-d it?
    Ofc i am building it for subD but i have no supporting edge loops at the moment so upping images with in subD doesnt make sense yet as any "detail" would be lost in the smoothing ;) i am also still tinkering with my edge loop structure and making refinements as i go.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Never been a fan of the design, but I admire your execution!
    i felt the same at first tbh but it def grew on me, and glad you like it :)
    BolianAdmiral
    edited November 2020 #9
    Some decent progress during the day hopefully i can start detailing it soon :)

Still toying with wether i like the nacelles and if i should join them to the body mesh or not, guess ill sleep on it but i really disslike clipping it with the pylons (feels lazy)

s0totf8rnrcw.png
    8acq15awaqk3.png
    dc9p561m7q40.png
    lc3cquqo39tt.png
    w1qlqa2lunpy.png
    P5ych0p4thLizzy777wolfmanFreakJES
    A bit dirty and needs cleanup but the nacelles are now joined to the body with edge loops that "sort of" make sense for now.. also took the liberty of making the pylons a bit wider as imo from a dorsal view they looked extreemly flimsy and thin.

i5xbt3mp29yc.png
    m8y0pmnzlxne.png
    Lizzy777FreakJES
    Heres an early look at the mesh in subD and as you can see i still need ALOT of controll edges to sharpen many areas but i think im getting there slowly, i also need to sort out the rear docking bit somehow that makes sense but i am not making the ship that goes there for now.

2d5ndzqe2hvq.png
    au0q7jkjagom.png
    6g3uycu4nxs3.png
    wty403ov40l7.png
    uvco1q1sqy41.png

Lizzy777wolfmanFreakJES
    Excellent topology, you've done a fine job there!
    omnipotent
    edited November 2020 #13
    Excellent topology, you've done a fine job there!
    it has its flaws if you look close enough but propably my best attempt at the organic shapes of the ST universe so far and im happy that i made it work without cheating to much, now to summon enough strength to start comitting to final geo (i allways hate this part)
    :dizzy:
    edited November 2020 #14
    Still tinkering with geo but its starting to come alive, and im thinking maybe ill call it an odyssey "variant" as ive deviated quite a bit from the in-game model at this point especially around the saucer impulse exhausts and i think i prefer it my way with a few more curves rather then a straight off angled cut as it is in game (i allways thought that looked out of place compared to the ships that came before)

3w5gws1ml1ij.png

73ni83x2nczu.png
    wvvmi8utli13.png
    qaozbg2ttfil.png
    isjxn56mviiw.png

MadKoiFishashleytingersrspicerBolianAdmiralFreakMcCJESLizzy777
    Obligatory topology shots. :+1:

t6en9dhzz9ic.png
    1eo011jltrqm.png
    jvi5p3aga523.png
    e8dr4n7lcl0t.png
    n1usqg0jhjln.png

srspicerwolfmanBolianAdmiralFreakMcCJESLizzy777LeoBerlin
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Have to agree with lennier1 on this never really liked this class, however the work you are doing here is starting to change my mind. Looking forward to the refinements.
    omnipotent
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    I love your changes so far!
    omnipotent
    fluxfire wrote: »
    Have to agree with lennier1 on this never really liked this class, however the work you are doing here is starting to change my mind. Looking forward to the refinements.
    I love your changes so far!

Thanks for the kind words! :)
    edited November 2020 #19
    Started adding some detail, allways amazing how adding some windows can set things off :)
    went with the in-game option of "galaxy" type windows as i much prefer that look to the smaller yellow square options.

orjeuiylp7b4.png
    nlkcw4vpz3nn.png
    RekkertBolianAdmiralFreakMcCsrspicerJESLizzy777
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    It took a while, but this design really grew on me. I love it now. I really love the twin necks.
    omnipotent
    It took a while, but this design really grew on me. I love it now. I really love the twin necks.

it def grew on me aswell the first time i saw it i thought it looked fat/pregnant/beergut and i had a strong disslike of the lowpoly nature of the twin necks of the game model as it made it look so dirty inside the "tunnel" but up the smoothing and i think it actually works, tho i still see the beergut from a front view but there are several angles where it looks really good imo.
    BolianAdmiral
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    The "design" isn't bad, but STO has always been rather hit-or-miss when it comes to texturing. Their most recent texture updates to ships like the Galaxy or Sovereign are of course of higher standard. The ingame Odyssey Class texturing is kinda "meh". Hopefully this version comes off more like a Galaxy in terms of quality :smile:
    omnipotent
    Jeez you're not messing about, are those all stencilled in and cut? Looking great though, that's a really tidy mesh!
    omnipotent
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice.
    I never been a fan of this design for one reason. It remind me to much of the Oberth Class. I do like that ship, but the biggest issues I have with it that the struts that connect the Primary Hull and the Secondary are two small for a turbolifts to travel down. The only way to get between the two is by a ladder.
    This design the struts are bigger they can fit a turbolift but it just does not work for me.
    omnipotent
    The "design" isn't bad, but STO has always been rather hit-or-miss when it comes to texturing. Their most recent texture updates to ships like the Galaxy or Sovereign are of course of higher standard. The ingame Odyssey Class texturing is kinda "meh". Hopefully this version comes off more like a Galaxy in terms of quality :smile:
    and im hoping to push it that far but as this is my first real Trek project ill be happy if its close ;)
    Jeez you're not messing about, are those all stencilled in and cut? Looking great though, that's a really tidy mesh!
    I have a tendancy to get fully invested while im doing something, atleast until i get bored or loose intrest :dizzy:

and yep thanks for the pointers on that front, still feels horrible to do something so destructive mesh wise but the results speak for themselfs
    ag49r88a5ndu.png
    Freak wrote: »
    Nice.
    I never been a fan of this design for one reason. It remind me to much of the Oberth Class. I do like that ship, but the biggest issues I have with it that the struts that connect the Primary Hull and the Secondary are two small for a turbolifts to travel down. The only way to get between the two is by a ladder.
    This design the struts are bigger they can fit a turbolift but it just does not work for me.

i have similar issues with the TOS enterprise such as the flimsy nacelle pylons and super skinny neck so i feel yas ;)

JES
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Wowzers!
    omnipotent
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    edited November 2020 #27
    So.. Dorsal window layout is pretty much "done" and again i had to take some liberties especially on the secondary hull as on the game model they do not follow the curves of the hull and seems to be a re-used texture from another model just pasted on there to fill out space. also there are suposed to be windows on the raised lip around the bridge area but as small as it is i decided to not add windows there as they would be so small and tbh the windows i added to the raised bit further down on the saucer barly fit there and with the angled surface it looks dirty and out of place.

vv13xv9vhyqq.png

Also if anyone is curious as to how i "found" the window locations and was able to burn through the placement so fast, i took a screengrab of my ship from the game and projected it onto the mesh which isnt perfectly aligned nor adjusted for camera perspective but it gets the job done and is usefull as a guide for where the windows go and what orientation etc they should be in. (i only used it as a very rough guide and took many liberties adjusting the windows to my liking in many areas, hopefully i havnt commited some awful trek modeling sin in doing so :anguished: )

ll4v9a2shfec.png
    RekkertBolianAdmiralFreakJESLizzy777
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Looking good!
    omnipotent
    edited November 2020 #29
    windows windows windows... im seeing them when i close my eyes now :astonished:
    (and i still have to make alot more on the ventral side of the saucer.. i think ill go sleep for a bit haha)

rykqc8u9yj3i.png
    zj5h9sg4tccq.png
    BolianAdmiralJESLizzy777Hilk_v001
    couldnt help myself had to see it with some color :)

1xjbr312ogyf.png
    52lby4svoacp.png
    gzlefjf6m7oj.png
    6tqn5uzw9x6s.png
    5cic2wdxdnkr.png
    0fgc6bmt3xe3.png
    BolianAdmiralFreakashleytingerJESLizzy777Hilk_v001
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Hold on hold on... how have we gone from low poly mesh to pretty much finished model in 3 day??????

this would take at least 3 months looooool :'( man i suck haha...

Awesome progress in all seriousness.... never seen this design before...
    omnipotent