Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Centaur

komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
edited March 2021 in Work in Progress #1
This was a very old ship I made in Cinema 4d. I lost the model and it was made in my first years.

So I am redoing it in 3dsmax with the Corona renderer. A bit more modern and taken from the designs of the Conviction and Collider.

gi5t6uzkwvez.jpg

What remains of that ship:
u4vbdm10k623.jpg

Where i am at the start. I had to redo a lot of the textures for Corona.
5nvbuxybmn8v.jpg

tv9p0r3f7875.jpg
Post edited by komaro on
publiusrJayruLizzy777JESsrspicer
Tagged:

• JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    Looking forward to seeing you develop this more :-)
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    edited November 2020 #3
    It's been slow for me this year. I have to study to complete my old diploma and finish it. With all the changes at my works, it's not that easy to find the energy.

I lost my windows this summer after a bad update. At least, I had backup of my data this time. So, you can say I feel a bit rusty around 3dsmax.
    Post edited by komaro on
    Work on some textures again. Done a bit more on the saucer and the upper hull.
    Still not understanding how to light the scene with Corona. Gonna check some things about making glass looking texture, and how to make a specular, cause I lost the knowledge it seems.

5glc18ccr7lp.jpg
    JayruJESLizzy777Freakpubliusr
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I find I get the best results in Corona by turning the Reflectivity up to 1.0 and adjusting Glossiness until I get the look I want. Plugging a specular map into Glossiness is how I affect reflectivity with a bitmap. For glass you can turn Diffuse down to 0, reflection and refraction up to 1.0. To make thin (not solid) glass be sure to check "Thin (no refraction)". This will keep it from distorting anything behind it and will speed up your renders.
    komaro
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    It's always a good thing to go back and redo an old design. I'm liking where the hull is going more than I expected, but I'm skeptical about the Nu-Trek looking nacelles. I feel that they need some TNG design elements to connect them to their time-frame.

And please, no more letter registries.
    I find I get the best results in Corona by turning the Reflectivity up to 1.0 and adjusting Glossiness until I get the look I want. Plugging a specular map into Glossiness is how I affect reflectivity with a bitmap. For glass you can turn Diffuse down to 0, reflection and refraction up to 1.0. To make thin (not solid) glass be sure to check "Thin (no refraction)". This will keep it from distorting anything behind it and will speed up your renders.

Gonna check that out. I didn't know about glossiness. I think I did the right thing with glass, gonna verify this.

Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    better spectacular

lo5atdvpbtzi.jpg
    FreaksrspicerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    So I redid the upper hull. Wasn't happy with how the shape ended on both extremities. Put less dark texture for now.

medaaklcu9as.jpg
    FreaksrspicerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I love the nacelle supports
    komaro
    I did this for the hull, but I am just half convince. I got another idea out of it, more like a curved U shape.

n01zuzn2u5ep.jpg
    Lizzy777
    I prefer this. Gonna have to add another connection in the back for the nacelle and smooth out the shape a bit more.

91o6uug0zvyz.jpg
    Lizzy777
    edited November 2020 #13
    I did the arches that goes from the nacelle to the saucer. Not 100 sure about how I put the map on the hull, but still need to do the deflector dish. I am gonna do some elevations on the down saucer to integrate this.

7wifq5pktpp5.jpg

pguvovznzoti.jpg
    Post edited by komaro on
    Lizzy777
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Interesting shape Komaro!
    komaro
    edited November 2020 #16
    I went with a simple solution for the deflector. It's the only one I liked, in the 3-4 versions I made. It makes me think of those old WW2 planes with shark tooth's paint on the front of the nose.

It's slightly retro look that way.
    Post edited by komaro on
    Small update. There is a new problem with the turbosmooth versus symmetry in 3dsmax. Took me a while to find some solutions to it. Also, I changed job, so I wasn't focus on 3d for a while.

ytie2g9tsvfq.jpg
    Lizzy777Freak
    Trying to make a hull that make more sens. I need to redo the nacelle supports and integrate it better, and adjust the symmetry, that is out of wack...as usual, all by itself.

nwl5jotohcea.jpg

bwdx8pnfl2m8.jpg

tbkvrcbwdh67.jpg
    Lizzy777Freak
    Redone the upper wings

4aupajmottzi.jpg

rkyk1m2al5gd.jpg
    Lizzy777
    Windows on hull

rn5oyrjz2tbd.jpg
    srspicerLizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratory
    I need to remove that blue in the dark texture.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Looking good. I prefer the second pylon design.
    srspicer wrote: »
    Looking good. I prefer the second pylon design.

Yes, it is a bit thicker and less curvy on extremities. It also solved the ending parts for me. So, it was a good choice to redo them.
    Ah, the proboolean option in 3dsmax just messed up all my hull. Including the uvmaps. And all my backups are useless. I had to redo most of it. 2 hours.

On top of that, when I redid the boolean, 3dsmax decided that one of my groups, wasn't a group anymore. It just put the objects into the list, ungroup.
    Had to redo all the hull texture and was able to do some windows.

5ehowati6f33.jpg
    AtolmLizzy777
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Really nice! Very interesting ship design.
    komaro