Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Oldfield Class - Not Your Father's Excelsior

• JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    Final update for today, lots of mesh errors fixed and minor details built in. The rooms are there, but need windows which I will do tomorrow. Yes, I know - the aft thrusters don't make sense, will look at that tomorrow as well. Enjoy -

G7sdT9y.jpg 2i6liyJ.jpg o9JZOK3.jpg YasLZMA.jpg MbNTC7p.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon
    Lizzy777JESpubliusr
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    OMG!

Look what I just found: https://youtube.com/watch?v=OSzSsHkDRWA

My Ingram got to fly after all. Don't like the way they recoloured her, but I handed over the ship in good faith that it would be used and they have. Great to see it, and sad to know I lost all of them.
    publiusrStarship
    - Mike Oldfield
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    Which ancient philosopher once said something like "through suffering, we learn"? I assume that you'll try harder to make sure that your files are always backed up somewhere safe.

You're not the only one who's sad that all of the images of that model is gone. I loved going through that thread.
    JES wrote: »
    Which ancient philosopher once said something like "through suffering, we learn"? I assume that you'll try harder to make sure that your files are always backed up somewhere safe.

You're not the only one who's sad that all of the images of that model is gone. I loved going through that thread.

I won't lie, the attack broke me mentally. I worked on the Ingram for over a decade. I was still building the Wolf. I was still working on several other projects (the Clarke, the flying saucer), including a non-Trek ship with folding wings. Artwork wise, I lost more than I care to talk about, plus the loss of all my written work, including original stuff that had been published...

Yeah, it broke me.

My life's work and all the backups smashed, even the stuff online was deleted. I'm anal about backing up. Always have been. My god they were thorough. But they didn't destroy Dave's laptop - which had a backup of my written work and some of my artwork.

In spite of everything we have tried to get something back of the "lost files" - we got one texture map back. The Bridge Commander meshes I'd created were still up (still are up) for download.

But yeah, it broke me mentally to be attacked in that way.

Precautions? Are in place. I control several backup points, Dave controls more. Some I know nothing about - which is good, because I was very trusting. Never again. I am not going to reveal the lengths I have gone to safeguard my work from the same thing happening again.

It wasn't a case of not backing stuff up, it was a deliberate attack. When I say they took a hammer to things, I am not joking.

But lessons have been learned ;-)
    - Mike Oldfield
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Jayru wrote: »
    OMG!

My Ingram got to fly after all. Don't like the way they recoloured her, but I handed over the ship in good faith that it would be used and they have. Great to see it, and sad to know I lost all of them.

I actually just got done watching this. Odd that they decided to eliminate the megaphasers on the Ingram.
    edited October 2020 #37
    Jayru wrote: »
    OMG!

I actually just got done watching this. Odd that they decided to eliminate the megaphasers on the Ingram.

Technically the Lex-A is an Odysseus Class starship, and I didn't include the megaphasers on her. Two of the Odysseus/Ingram variants I built didn't have megaphasers, and they (Lexington Fan Film team) asked for a ship based on one of them - I think there's is based on the USS Murray if memory serves. They haven't altered the mesh, just the texture maps used. Remember: I build details in :-)

Todd elminated them himself in the refit version of the Ingram, as he felt that phaser tech had reached a point that made them surpless to requirment.
    Post edited by Jayru on
    BolianAdmiral
    - Mike Oldfield
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    IDK... I mean, the Brattain and all the Miranda’s we saw on DS9 still had their megaphasers. I always just assumed they’d been upgraded with new phaser tech. I decided to keep them on the Alaska for the same reason.
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    Wait, hold the phone! I always assumed that you lost everything in a computer crash. An unfortunate event, but an accident. But the way you're wording it, you make it sound as if everything was deleted on purpose.

I feel that mega phasers, and obviously their descendent: pulse phasers are a sort of heavy artillery, like the main guns on a battleship. You wouldn't put them on a ship that is going to be used for exploration, but you would keep them on ships that will spend most of their time patrolling or in combat.

From what I understand, the reason for long barrels and large bores was because the longer the barrel, the longer the range due to the rifling effect, and the higher the potential yield of the shells, respectively.
    The reason that we don't have ships with large guns today, from what I understand, is because bombers and cruise missiles can hit faster and just as hard.

If Todd Guenther is using basing the advancement of Starfleet weapons technology on the advancement of todays weapons technology, then Starfleet would be using long-range torpedoes with warp capability, and long-range fighter bombers, as their main offensive implements by the TNG era, with phasers acting more like defensive weapons.

Standard phasers have better accuracy, and a better firing arc, or lacking a need for larger, bulkier, more complex turrets and power conduits, which is why Starfleet, wanting their ships to be jack-of-all-trades, chooses to use the former, while rarely using the latter.

But based what we seen on screen, I'd assume that phaser cannon technology would continue to mature, with acceleration coils and confinement fields potentially giving phaser bolts more kinetic energy and better able to drill through unwanted shielding, along with anything else in the way. This would be a natural progression towards the pulse phaser and phaser lance, and there is even the possibility of warships larger than the Defiant using phaser turrets for an added punch, like those seen on the Icarus in Renegades.

But what do I know? I'm just another fan who happens to be obsessed with starship.
    IDK... I mean, the Brattain and all the Miranda’s we saw on DS9 still had their megaphasers. I always just assumed they’d been upgraded with new phaser tech. I decided to keep them on the Alaska for the same reason.

Let me see, come on memory – the original NCC-2806 I built had megaphasers, then I started talking with Todd and built the NCC-2601, 2602, 2603 – all of which had the megaphasers but were closer to his original blueprints, with the 2602 and 2603 being based on his refit blueprints. The 2602 USS Odysseus was very much Todd’s ship, he had a big say in how she looked and what she had. I gave him free reign on that one as a sort of thank you. He even designed the ship’s mission patch (which I may still have as he emailed it to me). I just went with Todd’s thinking with the megaphasers, which is why the 2604 (Murray) and 2605 (Kamcaira) didn’t have them as they were more multi-purpose platforms rather than Perimeter Action (PA) ships like the other three. The Lex-A was based off the 2604 platform at the teams’ request. They had the option of the others. They wanted a multimission ship, which I approved and built for them.

So that was seven versions of the ship I built and completed. An eighth was on the way, a 24th century style refit of the USS Kamcaira, but I suffered burn out after working on the entire project for 14 years. Plus having to take massive breaks to deal with health problems. I mean, how many times did I have major heart surgery working on that project? Sheesh…

Maybe it’s better I leave it in the past.

JES wrote: »
    Wait, hold the phone! I always assumed that you lost everything in a computer crash. An unfortunate event, but an accident. But the way you're wording it, you make it sound as if everything was deleted on purpose.

It was an on purpose, and very deliberate act. It’s being dealt with.

I feel that mega phasers, and obviously their descendent: pulse phasers are a sort of heavy artillery, like the main guns on a battleship. You wouldn't put them on a ship that is going to be used for exploration, but you would keep them on ships that will spend most of their time patrolling or in combat.

From what I understand, the reason for long barrels and large bores was because the longer the barrel, the longer the range due to the rifling effect, and the higher the potential yield of the shells, respectively.
    The reason that we don't have ships with large guns today, from what I understand, is because bombers and cruise missiles can hit faster and just as hard.

If Todd Guenther is using basing the advancement of Starfleet weapons technology on the advancement of todays weapons technology, then Starfleet would be using long-range torpedoes with warp capability, and long-range fighter bombers, as their main offensive implements by the TNG era, with phasers acting more like defensive weapons.

Standard phasers have better accuracy, and a better firing arc, or lacking a need for larger, bulkier, more complex turrets and power conduits, which is why Starfleet, wanting their ships to be jack-of-all-trades, chooses to use the former, while rarely using the latter.

But based what we seen on screen, I'd assume that phaser cannon technology would continue to mature, with acceleration coils and confinement fields potentially giving phaser bolts more kinetic energy and better able to drill through unwanted shielding, along with anything else in the way. This would be a natural progression towards the pulse phaser and phaser lance, and there is even the possibility of warships larger than the Defiant using phaser turrets for an added punch, like those seen on the Icarus in Renegades.

But what do I know? I'm just another fan who happens to be obsessed with starship.

You make a lot of points that I agree with. The technology has a place – even Todd came round to that thinking, which is why the USS Odysseus, his preferred version of the ships I was building, had megaphasers. But then it was PA ship, a designed for border patrol.

Horizon is a multipurpose – multimission platform – and so doesn’t carry weapons like that. It doesn’t need them, being a late 23rd century ship based on the as-seen-on-screen ships, with a little Ingram and Probert’s original Ambassador design DNA thrown into the mix. It’s well armed, and has teeth, but it’s not a warrior, she’s an explorer 😊
    publiusr
    - Mike Oldfield
    The secondary hull is complete (for now), and I will be moving on to the pylons and warp nacelles tomorrow - enjoy:

BSp2bwB.jpg f6wfrmR.jpg KbkyLlA.jpg tKwLnmq.jpg h4wJdJY.jpg E8bqWc9.jpg

comments always welcome, and more soon.
    Lizzy777publiusrBolianAdmiralJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    Nacelles are done:

L0BxzIr.jpg 4RfxJAy.jpg

Just the pylons and the lighting rig to do, and a few minor details. Then she is done.

Yes, of course, the warp grills do glow when she "make's it so"

FEkcbj2.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon!
    Lizzy777FreakpubliusrBolianAdmiralJES
    - Mike Oldfield
    Pylons done - just the lighting rig and some minor details to do and she is done -

KhQPMzB.jpg yKhvBHY.jpg JcGeHh9.jpg G11gKr8.jpg jLmjjcH.jpg XlaCRUu.jpg Y6E1D6i.jpg

Comments welcome, more soon.
    Lizzy777publiusrBolianAdmiralJES
    - Mike Oldfield
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I really love this design. Well done!
    I really love this design. Well done!

Thank you.

Still a few things to do - I want to retexture the saucer, few small bits to build in round the deflector dish, and the self-lighting rig - and then...

Does this ship need an arboretum? I left the area clear where I would build one in, but I could do one and it would add some depth to the ship.
    - Mike Oldfield
    And she is done:

fJGN2wj.jpg CXD02h2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed :-)
    RekkertLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratorysrspicerpubliusrJES
    - Mike Oldfield
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Overall I quite like the shape, has the best aspects of Excelsior while also being more consistent with the era. Those bussards though, there's something about them that doesn't work for me, I think they're too large. Maybe if they'd had a gradient effect where they'd be less bright near the sides it would work better while keeping the same size.

Also, yes to the arboretum IMO. :D
    JayruBolianAdmiral
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Overall I quite like the shape, has the best aspects of Excelsior while also being more consistent with the era. Those bussards though, there's something about them that doesn't work for me, I think they're too large. Maybe if they'd had a gradient effect where they'd be less bright near the sides it would work better while keeping the same size.

Also, yes to the arboretum IMO. :D

I'm reworking those texture maps, I agree it needs something to soften the area.

Yes, the arboretum will happen. Just having a well earned break, after speed building this monster!

publiusr
    - Mike Oldfield
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Really turned out great!
    You cannot be finished, you project is only 2 pages!! :p
    Jayru
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I'm with srspicer.. 15 days. I'm calling shenanigans here.... has to be at least 2 months.... some of us have got unfinished wips on here that are 8 years old...... this is where I collapse into a puddle of my own tears.... :)
    Jayru
    srspicer wrote: »
    Really turned out great!
    You cannot be finished, you project is only 2 pages!! :p

Well, there is an arboretum to build, the shuttle bay and a shuttle. But in simple terms I could lay this to rest now. But I’m having a break before deciding what to do next.

markmassey wrote: »
    I'm with srspicer.. 15 days. I'm calling shenanigans here.... has to be at least 2 months.... some of us have got unfinished wips on here that are 8 years old...... this is where I collapse into a puddle of my own tears.... :)

13 days – And yes, no one is more surprised than me that it took so little time to build the ship. But for that 13 days, I ate, slept, showered, emptied my body and worked on the mesh and nothing else. Focused? Yes, I was very focused (learning how to use this autistic brain of mins). But yes, I am very surprised at how little time it’s taken. I mean I spent 14 years on the Ingram (the threads are still up on here). The Clarke took me 18 months, but that was posted on the FRS. Flying Saucer V1? A year. V2? 3 months (that’s up on here).

No project is ever truly finished, there are always tweaks and minor things to do. I want to retexture the saucer; I like the idea of an arboretum and shuttle bay. I need a shuttle, because that was a mesh I lost. (The one I am currently using is from Bridge Commander, and is very low poly – but it is one of my meshes built for that game 😊 ).

What about a rec-deck? That would mean a rebuild the back end of the saucer for new windows. And do I have two or just one? Questions, questions, questions…

I don’t think I have every shown what I did to get the rooms behind the windows – I built a corridor set in high detail, then rendered it, and used then applied the renders to a self-lit box. A cheap (poly) way of adding depth to the ship.

There are a lot of things I could do, but she is done, the rest would be the cherry on top 😊

srspicerpubliusr
    - Mike Oldfield
    edited October 2020 #52
    Rekkert wrote: »
    ... Those bussards though, there's something about them that doesn't work for me, I think they're too large. Maybe if they'd had a gradient effect where they'd be less bright near the sides it would work better while keeping the same size...

Something like this?

99siEAV.jpg

Also - not asked for - but the room behind the windows :-)
    xDz955k.jpg

By the way, did anyone notice what mesh version this project is on?
    Post edited by Jayru on
    Lizzy777
    - Mike Oldfield
    CHANGE OF INFORMATION!!

USS Horizon, Starfleet Registry: NCC-2176. Oldfield Class.

Decks: 24.
    Length: 580 meters.
    Vessel Type: Long Range Multi-Mission Exploration Heavy Cruiser.
    Built: San-Francisco Orbital Shipyards, Earth.
    Primary Contractor: BA-Northrup Construction.
    Launched: Stardate 9706.1
    Crew Compliment: 700 – 140 Officers, 560 Enlisted (evacuation limit 2,500 people).

Weapons: 8 Dual Phaser Banks, 8 single Phaser Banks (24 units). 2 Forward Photon Torpedo launchers, 2 Aft Photon Torpedo Launchers.
    Defence: Force Field Coils and Deflector Grid Shield System.

Propulsion: Koeller Uniform Timed Intermix (UTI) K64 Warp Nacelles, Fusion Powered Sublight Impulse System, Pulsed Propulsion Manoeuvring Thrusters.
    Cruising Speed: Warp 9 (old scale).
    Max Speed: Warp 12 (old scale)

Background: The third ship of the Oldfield Class, a new class based off the fifteen years’ worth of lessons learned from the Excelsior Class. The class was a multi-mission platform designed with exploration as its primary mission. BA-Northrup Construction were the primary contractor for the first five ships of the class, with the other seven ships being built by Andor-Utani Systems. Koeller Warp Systems provided the nacelles for all ships in this class, with minor variations. Unlike other classes, the Oldfield Class was a limited run and was assigned unused contract numbers for the hulls, no formal convention was used for the naming. The class was marginally successful and required little reworking after the first deployments.

Of note, the USS Horizon was mired with controversy during its first year after it was discovered the original senior Science Officer was in fact a Romulan Spy, who sabotaged the ship and murdered several of the senior staff.

The last Oldfield Class was retired in 2366.

Known Ships -

USS Oldfield NCC-2098
    USS Ommadawn NCC-2099
    USS Horizon NCC-2176
    USS Incantations NCC-2177
    USS Amarok NCC-2178
    USS Lunas NCC-2179
    USS Elements NCC-2180
    USS Icon NCC-2181
    USS Reflections NCC-2182
    USS Legends NCC-2222
    USS Hergest Ridge NCC-2297
    USS Crises NCC-2298

** Why change the info? Because the Horizon Class already exists. So now she has sisters. I'd like to keep the class name, as it's not been used! But the ships names and reg numbers can be changed (except for Horizon. That one is set in stone now). Yes, I am a Mike Oldfield fan. So have it my friends, fill those 10 names and regs out.
    Lizzy777publiusr
    - Mike Oldfield
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Yes, I think that new bussard looks a lot better than before. :)
    Also, that Science Officer sounds fun... :joy:
    No USS Killing Fields? ;)
    Jayru
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Those wall panels make that room look like a courtroom. ;) Nice work.
    Jayru
    edited November 2020 #56
    Amended list (due to a request) - again keeping with the Mike Oldfield album names:

USS Oldfield NCC-2098
    USS Ommadawn NCC-2099
    USS Horizon NCC-2176
    USS Incantations NCC-2177
    USS Amarok NCC-2178
    USS Lunas NCC-2179
    USS Elements NCC-2180
    USS Reflections NCC-2182
    USS Legends NCC-2222
    USS Hergest Ridge NCC-2397
    USS Crises NCC-2398
    USS Voyager NCC-2656

Keeping with the theme, other names that can be considered include Tubular Bells, Discovery...

@ Rekkert lol, I did consider that - if you want it added let me know!

@ seanr Interesting, because the design is based on the curved flat wall as seen in TMP.
    Post edited by Jayru on
    - Mike Oldfield
    My plans for November have changed somewhat. I had planned to do NaNoWriMo within the bubble of a writing group, but with the UK going into lockdown that's off the table. I could go ahead and do it anyways, but I think I will continue working on this monster for a bit longer. I'm running into issues with the SIZE of the arboretum, so I am having a think about it. Either splitting it so the ship has two, or adding a support structure in the middle. Either way it needs to sit in my back brain for a time before I start it.

So next up - a shuttle
    - Mike Oldfield
    Some orthos:

rBP60aD.jpg 7YqmSa5.jpg Wm6MBbN.jpg
    Lizzy777publiusrBolianAdmiral
    - Mike Oldfield
    The shuttle I have been using for scale - the one I built for the Star Trek Bridge Commander game. Think I can do a better job and come up with something befitting the Horizon...

4v9yvYI.jpg
    BolianAdmiral
    - Mike Oldfield
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Outstanding
    The hybridized version of the Trek V and TOS shuttle has begun!

9MltPZL.jpg HkrqngI.jpg GNpbXPj.jpg
    BolianAdmiral
    - Mike Oldfield