Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• JasonAdankJasonAdank33 Posts: 29Member
    those interior room renders for the ligthboxes are excellent, very clean and TNG'ish. Your model is going to turn out pimp :)
    lewisniven
    Feel free to visit my now archaic Renderosity Gallery.
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Dialling in the positions of the 'back of the neck' windows. Bare in mind these are the cutter objects so are slightly larger then the final windows will be. Also I've made the executive decision to 'fix' the placement so they line up with the decks properly as on the filming model the windows are offset slightly from those on the sides.

k8mo0j5xeubn.png
    JasonAdankWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertevil_genius_180McCLizzy777FreakBolianAdmiralpubliusrBrandenberg
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    again lovely.. the impulse engine looks really nice, the window (placeholders) look good.. and as usual that glow just just makes it sing...

i wish mayas boolean tool was a little more stable.... would make windows easier...
    lewisniven
    markmassey wrote: »
    again lovely.. the impulse engine looks really nice, the window (placeholders) look good.. and as usual that glow just just makes it sing...

i wish mayas boolean tool was a little more stable.... would make windows easier...

I use knife project instead of boolean, It gives a far more predictable result imo.
    Window positioning corrected for the curvature of the hull. I've come up against the same issue @MadKoiFish was having whereby the curvature of the neck causes the spacings to go a bit wonky, and the windows don't sit perfectly parallel with the pine detail. I've fudged it a bit but I think it works.

4ly0vcpo7wrm.png
    Rekkertevil_genius_180McCLizzy777FreakZhor2395Brandenberg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks good to me. Fixing the placement so that they lined up with the side windows is something I'd have done too.
    lewisniven
  • JasonAdankJasonAdank33 Posts: 29Member
    .... i wish mayas boolean tool was a little more stable.... would make windows easier...

yep, its a crapper for sure. Sometimes extracting out the faces you want to booleon first works better. When done I just recombine it and weld the vertices back in place. Although sometimes it wont take, I usually have more success when projecting the curve onto the surface and then slicing with that.
    Feel free to visit my now archaic Renderosity Gallery.
    Re-did this render just for a laugh, I do love this lighting.

prnqvs5jodpu.png
    Lizzy777Freakevil_genius_180Zhor2395ViperMcCBrandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving the lighting in that last Pic.
    lewisniven
    edited September 2020 #281
    9mi5nqht87qv.png

Neck side windows all done, finally! On to the back of the neck next, and then panel lines.
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralLizzy777ashleytingerRekkertMcCFreakBrandenberg
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Great work with the window cutouts! I can't think of a more challenging shape for that operation than the Galaxy class neck.
    lewisniven
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    lsw6ieoetatx.png

Back of the neck windows all done. Panel lines next probably.
    Warp Propulsion Laboratorylennier1ashleytingerLizzy777McCMadKoiFishFreakBolianAdmiralLeoBerlinBrandenberg
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Simply elegant.
    Simply elegant.

6qt45y34km8j.png
    MadKoiFishMcCrojrenLizzy777ashleytingerkadenFreakBrandenberg
    edited September 2020 #286
    Neck and chin aztecs largely finished, panel lines cut too.

i1g83wvkypvw.png
    BolianAdmiralRekkertLizzy777McCashleytingerFreakBrandenbergWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    She is looking magnificent.
    lewisniven
    Thanks :). Did a render with different lighting, I'm happy with the result. On to the engineering section I guess...

3panwwc7ikv9.png
    RekkertLizzy777McCBolianAdmiralFreak
    Most of the time when i see peoples renders of the D it just enphasises that sometimes you cant beat a physical model...

Those shots where you've got the bright ambient looking lights are gorgeous... she's going to look amazing when you've finished... you can really see the blood sweat and tears that have gone into making her...
    lewisniven
    Thanks @markmassey , I'm trying to honour the 6ft model as much as possible, HDRI lighting does look great too.

More texture work tonight;

1xjg94i5ttk6.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777McCP5ych0p4thMadKoiFishBolianAdmiralFreakBrandenberg
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Looking great.

Is the spine under the engine still following the old neck flow? You have a bit of a gap there :o
    kaden wrote: »
    Looking great.

Is the spine under the engine still following the old neck flow? You have a bit of a gap there :o

Yeah that was a casualty of the changes to the neck, Just haven' t got round to sorting it yet :)
    kaden
    Spent a long time fixing silly little things. Also added neck phaser strips and arboretum windows.

zm2ybubevv0w.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingerBolianAdmiralRekkertdarkthunderWarp Propulsion LaboratoryMcCFreaksrspicerBrandenberg
    ahh i always wondered what the big blue square windows at the back were.. makes sense... are you going to add some trees into there?
    ahh i always wondered what the big blue square windows at the back were.. makes sense... are you going to add some trees into there?

I put a rough garden texture in a room under there just so there's something there, I may do something a bit more detailed at some point but this works for now;

ehrm45z2u99v.png
    McCLizzy777BolianAdmiralFreaksrspicerBrandenberg
    edited October 2020 #296
    Cooking up a rudimentary arboretum. I'll render out orthos of this and just texture a room with it unless I'm doing some super close up render else it's just a waste of geometry and will hurt the render time for no good reason.

yvxus91xzejj.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralLizzy777McCpubliusrFreakRekkertBrandenberg
    She really is a thing of beauty.
    lewisniven
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Wow, what a beauty!
    lewisniven
    Was playing around with various post-processing ideas the other day, just trying to find a 'look', I do like this angle though.
    110zw994iszt.png

I've started positioning the secondary hull windows too, this part is super tedious but I only want to cut these once so I'm determined to get it right first time.
    zh3z6a8kc245.png

Also, started work on a Jem Hadar fighter, just for a shot idea I have when the galaxy is done, I don't intend this to be a super high detail mesh, just 'good enough'.
    d5k82yzv2ec4.png
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777FreakMcCRekkertWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    A Galaxy Class and a Jem'Hadar Fighter...

I smell an Odyssey in the making 😁

Lovely work as usual, Lewis.
    Rekkert
    A Galaxy Class and a Jem'Hadar Fighter...

I smell an Odyssey in the making 😁

I was thinking the same thing.
    Rekkert