Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    edited September 2020 #2912
    Quite interesting! I'm definitely going to ask for a redress for the Lexington-B sickbay.
    Post edited by Rusty0918 on
    Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @Starship: Haha, thanks mate! :p

@solaremes: Yes, you're right, and I did experiment with some changes like that, such as making the waiting area deeper so that it follows the curve of the new station; but in the end, the more classic shape won out. :)

@BolianAdmiral: Glad it did!

@Rusty0918: Haha, looking forward to that! :)

Finished the nurse station, I changed the detailing on the wall to reflect the exit corridor on the other side of the room, while the chair was swapped to a more comfortable (or at least more imposing) model.

On the waiting area, I finally got the chance to do something I've been meaning to for a while: add AI generated art to a set. I took an image of the STO Akira-Class model posted by Thomas Marrone on ArtStation, and uploaded it to DeepArt, after which I modified the "painting" somewhat in Gimp. I'm very happy with how it turned out, and so is my client. I tested some contrasting colors as well, but unsurprisingly the chosen one was blue. :)

tadeo-d-oria-cx-04.jpg?1599001946 tadeo-d-oria-cx-05.jpg?1599001956
    BolianAdmiralLizzy777Captain Serekevil_genius_180Freaksolaremes
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I like the Akira painting.
    Rekkert
  • Captain SerekCaptain Serek419 Burbank CaliforniaPosts: 90Member
    It is the little touches that makes these work.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a great looking sickbay.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I'm with @BolianAdmiral, that Akria painting is nice.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
    Glad you liked the little painting experiment and how everything's shaping up! :)

Finished with the redecoration of the CMO office. Similar to the new nurse spot, I swapped the back wall for the same pattern. The diplomas are modified with the pertinent Thunderchild CMO information, plus I added a femur bone as part of the decoration, as it was requested. I have to finish the LCARS for the new screens, but other than that I think this set is finished.

tadeo-d-oria-cx-05.jpg?1599184624
    tadeo-d-oria-cx-06.jpg?1599184634
    Captain SerekLizzy777BolianAdmiralFreakpubliusrsolaremes
    And here are the finished renders of the sickbay!

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1599380318
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1599380327
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1599380336
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1599380345
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1599380354
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1599380364
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1599380373
    tadeo-d-oria-c8-01.jpg?1599380382
    tadeo-d-oria-c9-01.jpg?1599380392
    tadeo-d-oria-c10-01.jpg?1599380405
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-thunderchild-sickbay-cutaway.jpg?1599401633
    BolianAdmiralCaptain SerekLizzy777evil_genius_180MadKoiFishsolaremes
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    Beautiful work
    Rekkert
    Excellent work as expected.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
    edited September 2020 #2922
    You know, looking at that last image, it just adds to my belief that Starfleet sickbays aren’t very well designed. I mean, you have all those biobeds against the wall, and ALL of them are facing the central biobed. What makes anyone think whoever’s in the other beds wants to witness what’s going on with the patient on that central bed? There’s just literally NO privacy in any Starfleet sickbay design I’ve seen yet. And truth be told, biobeds from beyond the TOS era look as uncomfortable as heck. I’m not in any way slamming Rekkert’s work - it’s top quality, as always. It’s just that having spent so much time in real hospitals, it irks me how little thought to actual hospital stuff goes into the design of Star Trek sickbays. No privacy, no easy or private way for a patient to have bathroom access, etc. I mean, there’s nothing to secure the patient in these beds... what if the ship is struck during a battle? The patient will go rolling right off the bed! Yeah, you can say they have forcefields, but really... you gonna have a forcefield on each bedside on at all times? C’mon...
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    Rekkert
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That sickbay looks sweet.
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    @Rekkert - I sent you my redress request for this sickbay!
    Rekkert
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    I really like those cutaway images you do. The angle kind of reminds me of old strategy games and RPGs. They always make me think how cool it would be to have some kind of Starfleet Tycoon or Sims game, where you order your little pixel redshirts around a starship. :)
    BolianAdmiralMadKoiFishRekkert
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Guerrilla wrote: »
    I really like those cutaway images you do. The angle kind of reminds me of old strategy games and RPGs. They always make me think how cool it would be to have some kind of Starfleet Tycoon or Sims game, where you order your little pixel redshirts around a starship. :)
    It's great how he continues the tradition of the old Fact Files series.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Reminds me of the old "Star Trek Away Team" game.

Looking great, I love hte art on the sickbay wall.
    Rekkert
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    @Rekkert I played around with DeepArt earlier, inspired by this thread. Feel free to toss this in one of your sets if you so desire:

p9kb1hec2rsj.jpg
    knddhukg3vyw.jpg
    Captain SerekFreakBolianAdmiralslybrarianRekkertsolaremes
    Thanks @SATR and @Captain Serek! :)

@BolianAdmiral: Yup, completely agree, but those are the problems of just being a TV show at the end of the day, limited budget and limited set space. That's why in my head-canon all of the 'hospital deck' stuff that Rick Sternbach designed is really there, it makes the ship more believable besides the little ICU sickbay we often see.

@evil_genius_180: Thanks!

@Rusty0918: Already replied privately, it'll be coming. :)

@Guerrilla: Thanks! Haha, the team behind a certain Trek fan game might have been toying with a Tycoon style 'starship designer/manager' game on the side, maybe even with the idea of pitching that concept to a certain IP holder back in 2018. I might even have written a full Game Design Document on that idea. What could have been... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@lennier1: Years of drooling over those cutaway graphics over at Ex Astris Scientia do that. Part of me likes doing those more than the actual "complete" interiors with the ceiling and such.

@count23: I still watch gameplay footage of Away Team from time to time, I'll do the USS Incursion interiors eventually. Not quite on the level of Commandos, but still a very enjoyable tactical game. ;)

@seanr: Haha, thanks! Always happy to inspire fellow artists. It's really cool the sort of stuff you can do with AI for art. :)

Been extremely busy these past few weeks with the non-Trek, original-universe interior work I've been teasing for months. Still nothing I can show publicly or really discuss, all I'll say is that some 5 interiors are nearly completely designed at this point, and talks are now going on with set builders; so you can imagine the back and forth's been quite involved with my client in this crucial moment. I can't wait to show and talk at lengths about this project. =)

As far as Trek goes, I've been having a blast watching Lower Decks, and from time to time I tinker with the Cerritos bridge. Not planning on committing to finishing this or anything, like I'm mentioned above I have my hands full already (unless someone commissions it, of course), but I thought I'd share here as well:
    tadeo-d-oria-cx-05.jpg?1599699597

Also, this week the payment issue with the USS Ranger commission got resolved, so here are all the final images of that bridge design:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1600754840
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1600754850
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1600754860
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1600754870
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1600754881
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1600754891
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-ranger-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1600792531
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralLeoBerlinHunter GFreaksolaremes
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    edited September 2020 #2930
    BTW: Here are the pictures I once mentioned from John Eaves' old book. As you can see, at one time the concept included a horseshoe:
    horseshoe.jpg

And in another sketch you can still see the horseshoe with pillars for side consoles flanking it, as originally intended for Generations, eventually castrated into the negative space ring we now know.
    broken-horseshoe.jpg

Generations originally had those side consoles, but they were deleted in a later iteration.
    generations-Detail.jpg
    generations-Side.jpg
    generations-Deleted.jpg
    Post edited by lennier1 on
    Rekkertsolaremes
    I have always been a fan of the Star Trek Fact Files/Magazine back in the day, thus my addiction to seeing more cannon and non of course, I once went on EBay and got the complete set of the STM for my collection. Thanks for filling in the gaps in the vast Trekverse.
    Rekkert
    That Ranger bridge is great.
    Rekkert
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Those sweeping consoles look like a big tripping hazard, TBH.

Ranger bridge looks brilliant. I can totally imagine hushed conversations happening behind the glass display.

The Cerritos bridge is looking good too (I wonder why Trek has the conn consoles so long now?). I know you're not planning on finishing it but it would be cool to see what it would look like as a "real" Trek set.
    Rekkert
    @lennier1: Thanks for the pics! I have to agree that I'm not a big fan of the horseshoe with the added side consoles, glad they didn't take that direction. Still, the smaller design around the Captain's chair (almost a mix between the TNG horseshoe and the original Defiant's "command cage") looks very cool IMO. I'll have to incorporate that to a design someday. ;) I'm also a fan of those original, more organic conn/ops consoles from the same concept piece.

@Captain Serek: Haha, my pleasure. :3

@BolianAdmiral: Glad you think so! :)

@BlueNeumann: Thanks! Yeah, I've been thinking about the Cerritos bridge a lot, it's frankly quickly becoming one of my favorite bridges of all time, it's very much a 'back to basics' design after how bloated bridges became in the Voyager/Enterprise-E era.

Some more progress on the Lafayette bridge commission. After a lot of tests and different designs we've settled on a look for the aft area, closely mirroring the look of the standard TNG corridors, though not an exact copy of them. The middle section was modeled after the MSD console from TNG's engineering, and though this area might still get some tweaks, it's now the approved design.

Moving onto the bridge itself, I've modified the console buttresses to include their original decorative holes, as seen on the Ent-A/Excelsior and Saratoga/Prometheus from DS9 bridges. While I'm not a fan of these particular shapes (they're so random they trigger my OCD), it is their canon design which my client requested. Also as you can see I'm starting to add back the ceiling structure, hence why everything's darker, I have yet to add the main lights.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-13.jpg?1600992375
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-14.jpg?1600992386
    Lizzy777BolianAdmiralLeoBerlinCaptain SerekFreaksolaremesWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Absolutely love the lighting in that, especially the contrast between the bright aft section and the moodier actual bridge area. :)
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
    Nice start.
    Rekkert
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Also, this week the payment issue with the USS Ranger commission got resolved, so here are all the final images of that bridge design:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1600754840
    I'm pretty sure that is my favorite bridge of all time, good show!

RekkertCaptain Sereksolaremes
    The Lafayette looks interesting.
    Rekkert
  • richiewilchrichiewilch57 Posts: 41Member
    Just wanted to come aboard and say that all the interiors that you're doing are awesome, and that I really look forward to seeing how my commission turns out. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how the WIP interiors that aren't yet on your website come out when they're done.
    Rekkert
    Still mostly working on non-Trek stuff lately due to the deadlines previously mentioned, though among several commissions I've also been bringing up to date this old project of mine...

tadeo-d-oria-04a.jpg?1602231221
    tadeo-d-oria-05a.jpg?1602231232

Remember back in 2017 when I nearly had this finished but then lost the data, and a ton of progress (mostly on the LCARS) was gone? Well, now I'm slowly getting it all together again, plus cleaning up the old modeling, applying newer materials and lights, etc. I doubt I'll be finishing it soon or anything like that (a lot of commissions to get through beforehand!), so I was hesitant to bring it up here, but anyway, at least I can show you all something. :p
    Captain SerekLizzy777solaremesWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreak
  • richiewilchrichiewilch57 Posts: 41Member
    Love this bud. Have you got any other work that you can show off to us all? As you say, you have a lot of commissions (inc. my own), but I'm sure that I'm not the only one that likes to see the work in progress stuff, as well as the finished pieces.
    Rekkert