Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: Excelsior bridge

seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
edited December 2021 in Work in Progress #1
pezv7x3lx798.png

This started with parts from my old TUC/Generations trueSpace sets, but significant portions of this have been rebuilt or significantly edited for the sake of accuracy. More of that sort of thing will continue, and I am also working on the captain's chair which I will post in its own thread:

roij3rhaspwn.png
9vgholz1472e.png
m1bg3rvxzmkb.png
sixtwur33hn5.png
brvawvlx9xzt.png

Screenshots:
hrn56y66z4eo.png
yf53f2o20ggv.png
ov0ixzmice60.png
v32va2ps0q4c.png
Post edited by seanr on
BolianAdmiralLizzy777solaremesRekkertevil_genius_180Freak

• trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Cool and nice.
    I'm curious
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Absolutely beautiful!
  • solaremessolaremes27 Posts: 22Member
    A great start on this one. I'm looking forward to the finished set!

However, I wonder about the position of the dedication plaque. Shouldn't this be on the right of the screen?
    (See here: http://www.ussalbion.co.uk/hoodbridge.html)
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    solaremes wrote: »
    However, I wonder about the position of the dedication plaque. Shouldn't this be on the right of the screen?
    It was definitely there on the Enterprise: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tuchd/ch11/tuchd2087.jpg - however, that isn't the exact screenshot I used as reference and I'm having a hell of a time finding it now (trekcore's gallery is a bitch to browse/search).

Either way, there is still unfinished stuff up front, including the parts to the sides of the viewscreen. The Enterprise A bridge will be pulled out of the parts from this one (just as it was IRL), so it's not wasted effort regardless. ;)
    edited August 2020 #6
    Here you go.

zbr7n56tqfs3.jpeg

Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
    edited August 2020 #7
    Yes, I've seen that one (that's not the image I was talking about) - that area of the set still needs a lot of work as I said.
    Post edited by seanr on
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    I hope you put Sulu's teacup in there too!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Looks great in Blender already, looking forward to seeing you updating it!

I'll never understand why they hanged the dedication plaque up there on Enterprise for TUC, particularly given how normal its place was on Excelsior.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Looks great in Blender already, looking forward to seeing you updating it!
    Thanks! I'm very close to being done at this point. Upwards of 95%, I'd guess. That percentage could be lower if I decide to fix some of the more minor stuff that I'm aware of, but it's almost passable already (you'd be shocked how many little barely-noticeable things have already been tweaked from the original import).
    I'll never understand why they hanged the dedication plaque up there on Enterprise for TUC, particularly given how normal its place was on Excelsior.
    Who knows. The big pieces on the sides that the Excelsior plaque is mounted to aren't present on the Enterprise, so that may be part of it, but also, I'm sure they just wanted some further visual distinction since the two bridges, especially at the front, are very similar.

Current progress:

Tweaked the table a bit and added the bolts and the extra piece on the bottom:
    eg4rvwe9rw88.png

This, for all intents and purposes, is finished for the Enterprise at this point - I'll add the overlaid parts and hide the extra plaque for Excelsior tomorrow:
    7rrczfszya3f.png
    RekkertjapetusashleytingermavekLizzy777Freak
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Uau.... You learnt how to use Blender in a short time Sean.
    Congratulations
  • solaremessolaremes27 Posts: 22Member
    edited September 2020 #12
    seanr wrote: »
    It was definitely there on the Enterprise: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tuchd/ch11/tuchd2087.jpg - however, that isn't the exact screenshot I used as reference and I'm having a hell of a time finding it now (trekcore's gallery is a bitch to browse/search).

Either way, there is still unfinished stuff up front, including the parts to the sides of the viewscreen. The Enterprise A bridge will be pulled out of the parts from this one (just as it was IRL), so it's not wasted effort regardless. ;)

Ok, now I get it. I never noticed the dedication plaque at this position on the Ent-A Bridge.

The current version of the bridge looks damn good! I'm looking forward to the final version and of course to its variants.

Post edited by solaremes on
    Big update today:

First one is the viewscreen with the final Excelsior parts added in:
    2fnxmkwqds1x.png

A bit of the aft section - has since been somewhat improved:
    aasjat94mnnv.png

Station detail - only the left half of the communications station was finished in this shot:
    xh9ofl31kb87.png

Running out of things to fix here. Last obvious one left is a texture alignment issue I thought I'd already fixed. :confused: The station names have been added to all of the consoles, and the thickness of the white border lines on them have been fixed. The biggest fix, though it may not be as obvious, is the thickness of the bulkheads (they were too skinny before). Not seen in this shot, I also made a bunch of small improvements to the aft section.
    5rxbfmmz1l35.png

Overhead wireframe view. The eagle-eyed will notice some interesting things that are not obvious just casually watching the movie, especially some of the bulkhead positions (not just off the 30° angles, but they're actually off center on the circle - I'm about 90% certain that's correct).
    2fctsryhuv7g.png
    BolianAdmiralRekkertevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
    Beautiful update!
    Great updates, that Captain's chair is looking perfect!

You're correct on the off-center bulkheads, they're one of the hidden complexities of this set. The only things that stand out to me are the lack of physical buttons on the helm consoles, and that they're missing the little stickers and support brackets at the bottom.

The other thing is the handrail supports, I think they're a bit too flat right now. Here's a picture from the prop, and though it was modified for the Enterprise-B bridge, the overall shape is the same. :)
    Star-Trek-Generations-Enterprise-B-Bridge-Stanchions-1.jpg
    BolianAdmiral
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This looks fantastic. The STVI Excelsior bridge is one of my favorites and you're doing a great job recreating it.
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    wait, where did they stick the dedication plaque for the enterprise in TUC?
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
    edited September 2020 #18
    Zhor2395 wrote: »
    wait, where did they stick the dedication plaque for the enterprise in TUC?
    It's above the viewscreen (above the chronometer), of all places.
    The only things that stand out to me are the lack of physical buttons on the helm consoles, and that they're missing the little stickers and support brackets at the bottom.
    I have no reference for the physical buttons for the center consoles on the Excelsior or even the okudagrams (hence the Ent-B graphics) and I'm too lazy to model the others just now. The support braces are indeed missing under those two middle ones, I'll probably add those later, but they're pretty rarely visible so I cut a corner for now to get some specific renders out.
    The other thing is the handrail supports, I think they're a bit too flat right now.
    Not quite following here. I assume by supports, you're talking about the lighter vertical metal parts? The darker ones of course are the Ent-B version and would be ignored here. If anything, that's flatter than mine. I think this calls for a graphic specifically pointing out the relevant parts in both mine and the reference.
    Post edited by seanr on
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    This was one of my favorite bridges when I first saw the movie. Good work!
    Sorry, I wasn't clear on the handrails thing. Looking at the prop from the side, it looks as if the vertical support is wider and with a more pronounced curve, while at the same time the handrail itself is a bit more compact. Here I did a little crude side-by-side of the silhouettes, with the prop photo reproduced on the left, and the version from the render on the right. Hope this is more helpful. :)

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-09-03-02-40-27.jpg?1599111774
    Ah, you were right about the handrail itself, but I actually fixed that two days ago. =) The profile of the balusters has actually matched the one on the left since I originally built this in 2004 or so, it's just very hard to see in these renders.
    qmuo1funuoi7.png
    RekkertBolianAdmiral
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    THAT's really nice! This reminds me. One of my favorite scenes in the Star Trek movies is when the Excelsior has to turn into the blast wave of Praxis to ride it out.
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    First, really good work, second, why in the name of Primus did they stick the Dedication Plaque up there? with starfleet's track record, it'd fly off and thump ole Jimmy boy right in the pumpkin >_<
    seanr
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
    Just when you thought this was done, I went and rebuilt several parts of it:
    uwk4ktr18ell.png
    hnee81mfqbha.png
    44344e96tgys.png
    a9fmlgaqtjcn.png
    0gz8c88urz62.png
    bv2wonqx20bx.png
    n7757t5fpalr.png
    61mebnoxvti3.png
    wun2njhzyp8z.png
    5y81rbygzeme.png
    10ylu6mhu3rz.png
    evil_genius_180RekkertsrspicerBolianAdmiral
    Things just got ridiculous here. I knew I had to rebuild the consoles, so I did so and then pulled in the current bulkhead and ceiling structures. Goddamn, the consoles fit perfectly now! There's a little glitch visible from the unhidden outer wall structure (which actually didn't exist in TFF+ except for the turbolift alcoves), but otherwise it's exact now. Interesting, the only thing I had to do with the imported objects from the full set was shift the entire group down 1.375 inches.

bpqajzr45jhp.png

BTW, on the far left, you can see the new 4-inch separator just poking through the narrow bulkhead, which means I'd effectively nailed both independently. If I cared to, I could adjust those bulkheads, but if it's only about a sixteenth of an inch and the divider won't be there overlapping it anyway...
    The funniness at the bottom is just my HDR peeking through. :wink:

As for the actual percentage being rebuilt, it's something like 10-15%, I think, even including the couple additional things yet to appear here. They're just big pieces. As I started on the turbolift alcove, I spotted some things that bugged me and additionally was able to get better dimensions on a number of things so I went ahead and rebuilt the parts that were worth the effort. If it was accurate to within two-to three inches before, it'll likely be a less than one inch margin of error after all this. Even without rebuilding these parts, it really is surprising me just how close it was in the first place. Less than an inch and a half off for most of it? Damn. LOL
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777BolianAdmiral
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That turbolift alcove looks really nice. I love the subtle edge rounding that's very true to the original sets. Did you cut the alcove opening into the wall with a booleans?
    seanr wrote: »
    As for the actual percentage being rebuilt, it's something like 10-15%, I think, even including the couple additional things yet to appear here. They're just big pieces. As I started on the turbolift alcove, I spotted some things that bugged me and additionally was able to get better dimensions on a number of things so I went ahead and rebuilt the parts that were worth the effort. If it was accurate to within two-to three inches before, it'll likely be a less than one inch margin of error after all this. Even without rebuilding these parts, it really is surprising me just how close it was in the first place. Less than an inch and a half off for most of it? Damn. LOL

The fact that you're able to use 85% to 90% of your original work says a lot about how well done it was in the first place. A 10% to 15% rebuild isn't all that much, especially given the issues that can be created just by the export and import process when you switch to different software.
    scifieric
    Well, that's on top of the 30+% rebuild from the old trueSpace work fifteen years ago. This 10% is just on top of the point at which I'd considered it finished (and posted all those renders over in Finished Work).
    edited September 2020 #28
    All of the padding is in place now, as well as the console extensions and the turbolift control panels:
    yaqe9iko23cd.png
    fbklfo70y33d.png
    m42r3zi71mgb.png
    This is just about ready to pull back into the main set, though, to be honest, I may just continue from this point with rebuilding a couple more pieces and pulling in the rest here (most is pulled in already). I keep waffling on that one. ;)
    Post edited by seanr on
    FreakashleytingerRekkertLizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratorycaveat_imperator
    Video walkthrough:

Lizzy777
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice animation =)
    Updated it with audio and fixed three frames that didn't get denoised properly:

RekkertLizzy777LeoBerlin