Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Of course it would also be cool to see the Cerritos interiors rendered in a realistic style, as well as other TNG and Voyager interiors, in the Lower Decks style.
    Rekkert
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    @BolianAdmiral: Hah, you might say he got... a-head of you on that one. B)

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! Those over at Cygnus-X1 are ancient! I should talk to John and update that page somewhat...

@mdta: I initially thought the same (ie, the Cerritos interiors being 3D), but after a couple of episodes of shots to compare (plus the WIP drawings they've been posting on Instagram) it's clear they're all drawn individually. The bridge for example looks different from every angle, in small ways; even the chairs are different.

Been working on the Lafayette aft corridor quite heavily last week, but in the end the test designs I did weren't entirely to my client's liking, so now we have a new idea which I haven't quite yet finished, so I'll be sharing that later when it's approved.

Meanwhile, it's funny how things work out sometimes. As I mentioned several times I quite like the "First Contact Fleet", aka the Saber, Norway, Steamrunner and Akira classes, and I tackled the bridges for the vessels of those classes that appeared in First Contact as personal projects; the USS Yeager, USS Budapest, and USS Appalachia respectively. The only one missing was the Akira-Class USS Thunderchild, which I started two times, but never finished because I never found a design that 'clicked' to me.

Now (well, quite a while back, to be honest) I was contacted with a request to actually do the USS Thunderchild bridge, as it would've looked like in the 2380's after a refit. The client requested the room be based on the USS Temeraire bridge, but with some structural and color changes.

To be more specific, the request was for the 4 side stations to be placed together, and the light column currently between them be moved so that it's right next to the forward door. This change is to be done at each side, to keep the design symmetrical. In my opinion, this will end up with the design flowing a bit better than it did on Temeraire, as that forward-most station ended up looking a bit awkward in-between the door and column. On the other hand, both the ceiling structure and the top lights will have to be modified, so it's a longer process than that previous bridge was.

As far as color changes, I went a bit mad with those... The original request was to simply swap the carpets around, so that most of the floor was blue, with the borders in red. After doing that I started experimenting... I wanted to remove the "Prometheus pattern" that I used in all the lights for Temeraire from this bridge, as it would've been an Akira-Class and I wanted it to be more unique; so after testing some alternatives I decided to go with an STO inspired metallic grey replacing the lights. Then I swapped all the beige colors with greys, keeping the red accents for the doors and rails, as I thought those complemented the carpet nicely.

So that's how the bridge is looking right now, I still have to change the top lights in order to replace the Prometheus pattern with the Enterprise-E one, plus finish changing the LCARS to the proper Akira graphics, and swapping the side column and do the structural changes requested.

I started work on the Thunderchild sickbay as well (for the same client), which is a redress of the USS Venture sickbay I previously did for @JMP11, though likewise with some structural changes, and heavily modified to replace all the Voyager inspired details with Enterprise-E inspired ones. Overall that's a smaller job, which I'll hopefully finish alongside the bridge.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1598294615
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1598294624
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777Captain SerekFreak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @BolianAdmiral: Hah, you might say he got... a-head of you on that one. B)

Lol, yeah. Nice bridge... I have to admit, the more I see the Voyager style consoles, the more I kind of like them.
    Rekkert
  • Captain SerekCaptain Serek419 Burbank CaliforniaPosts: 90Member
    Nice work as always.
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
    edited August 2020 #2886
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! Yeah, same here with these consoles haha, they're really growing on me.

@Captain Serek: Thanks very much!

Some more progress on the Thunderchild bridge, as I moved the column in-between the side consoles. You can now see all 4 seated consoles are right next to each other. The LCARS are all wrong now, but that's next to be worked on. :)

tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1598340000
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1598340956

Also, here's a side comparison of how the ceiling ended up looking with the moved columns. The original Cerberus/Temeraire ceiling is on the left, with the new Thunderchild bridge on the right.

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-08-25-04-16-45.jpg?1598340012
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Captain SerekFreakashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    Nice as expected. Any chance of you doing any more canon bridges or are there no clients yet asking for them?
    Rekkert
    I've come a long way for the power of Genesis and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The ceiling looks a bit odd, but the stations themselves look a lot better with the column moved. And, it's not like we're going to see much of the ceiling anyway.
    Rekkert
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Love this latest bridge, but one thing is bugging me, the secondary command chairs look a bit strange with not being centered in front of the consoles behind them....
    Rekkert
  • solaremessolaremes27 Posts: 22Member
    Great job as always on the Thunderchild bridge! The newly arranged stations between the columns look much more
    consistent.

I'm curious: What is the status of your other open projects like the Columbia or Ranger bridges? I'm really looking forward to see that stuff ;)
    Rekkert
    edited August 2020 #2891
    @Captain Serek: Thanks! I have some commissions lined up for canon stuff, it's just getting to them. I probably won't be tackling any canon stuff as personal projects for the time being, they're way too time intensive and I'm having more fun doing original things with the Trek aesthetics. :)

@evil_genius_180: You said it. :p

@Wishbone_Ash: lol, you're absolutely right! Back when I originally did the Cerberus bridge I had those chairs centered to the consoles behind them, but for Temeraire my client for that commission asked for them to be moved closer to the Captain's chair. I totally forgot that, but after reading your comment I messaged my client for this bridge about their preference, and now the chairs are back to being centered.

@solaremes: Thanks! As for the status of my open projects, here's how they are currently:
    -USS Orion bridge: on hold per my client's request after Covid started
    -USS Ranger bridge: completely finished, my client has not been replying to me for the past month and I'm waiting final payment
    -USS Lafayette bridge: in active progress, hope to update on it this week
    -USS Columbia bridge: less active on this one but I hope to pick it back up after finishing these smaller Thunderchild commissions
    This is besides my ongoing non-Trek work that's currently under NDA but that's been getting the most of my attention lately, so I'm currently quite packed with work. Not that I'm complaining, due to Covid this is the only thing that's supporting both me and my partner at the moment!

Here's how the command area's looking with the moved command chairs, plus as you can see on the background I've finished work on the MSD and am now finishing the rest of the LCARS. I think that by tomorrow the bridge will be done and I'll be ready to move over to sickbay!

tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1598409083
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Captain SerekLizzy777Brandenberg
    @Rekkert Understood about the canon stuff as so intensive, all that research, but good work as usual.
    Rekkert
    @Captain Serek: Thanks! I have some commissions lined up for canon stuff, it's just getting to them. I probably won't be tackling any canon stuff as personal projects for the time being, they're way too time intensive and I'm having more fun doing original things with the Trek aesthetics. :)

I agree with this completely. Is doing canon stuff cool? Sure it is. But, it's really research intensive, hunting down references and whatnot. Then, the whole time you're working on it you're going back to the references to check and fix things. Plus, at the end of the day, you're just working on someone else's design. Now, original stuff based on the aesthetic of the universe is fun, as you get a chance to be more creative. It's less limiting.
    Rekkert
    Do not get me wrong, I love the original bridges and all the excellent designs out there. I enjoy both the canon and original bridge designs from all the various artists out there, present company included.
    Rekkert
    @Rekkert: Thank you for the update! It must be exhausting waiting for clients to respond to every little detail. I hope that you will be able to finish all these projects.

As for the canon bridges, I can absolutely understand your point of view. Checking all the details in comparison to the original must be annoying. Nevertheless, I was very excited when you started the Excelsior Bridge ;) ...but of cause making money is much more important, so good luck for you and your partner!
    Rekkert
    edited August 2020 #2896
    @solaremes: No problem! I do know that it's sometimes frustrating to be following a project only for me to update with something completely different, but it's the way it is with doing these things as commissions, I have to keep it flowing. I can't afford to spend a month on just one project with noting else going on.

As for the Excelsior, yeah that's still going on the back of my mind. I had some conversations with Donny and we shared notes about our versions, there's a lot of structural changes I'd need to do to that one to make it accurate.

Here's the finished Thunderchild bridge! Nothing particularly exciting since the last update, just modified the LCARS as needed and created the red alert version.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1598490650
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1598492439
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1598492450
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1598492461
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1598492470
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1598492482
    tadeo-d-oria-c7-01.jpg?1598492492
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01r.jpg?1598492501
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01r.jpg?1598492510
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01r.jpg?1598492518
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-thunderchild-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1598499368
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakCaptain SerekashleytingersolaremesBrandenberg
    Nice bridge. It really sucks when someone keeps you hanging in regards to payment... that's not only rude, it's completely unprofessional. If you're looking to do something other than a canon bridge, I have an idea for a new bridge. ;)
    Rekkert
    I really like that bridge. It looks good and efficient.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Kind of what I pictured the Titan bridge looking like in my head.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The Bridge turned out really nice.
    Rekkert
    Nice finished work as expected. @Rekkert
    Rekkert
    Great renders, I like the color scheme of this bridge!
    @solaremes: No problem! I do know that it's sometimes frustrating to be following a project only for me to update with something completely different, but it's the way it is with doing these things as commissions, I have to keep it flowing. I can't afford to spend a month on just one project with noting else going on.
    Absolutely understandable that you have to work on different projects at the same time! I'm looking forward to every update you post - regardless of the project.
    Rekkert
    @BolianAdmiral: I mean, given everything that's happening in the world I'm a bit worried about them, but other than ping them occasionally there's not much I could do...

@evil_genius_180: Thanks!

@BlueNeumann: Not a bad design for the Luna-Class now that you mention it... ;)

@Freak: Thanks! :)

@Captain Serek: Glad you think so!

@solaremes: Appreciate the sentiment. :)

So, I've been working on the Thunderchild sickbay. This evolved somewhat into a more complex commission, as I've been updating the original Venture sickbay model to fit a ship in the mid 2380's. This includes a new surgical light assembly; added glass dividers between the biobeds; changed columns and replicators... a lot of things were either modified or replaced, with a lot more to come.

As for structural changes, the original request was to add another surgical area connected to the ICU next to the entrance door. Even assuming that an Akira-Class doesn't have a corridor going through there as a Galaxy does, adding this would've rendered the two doors on that wall useless, as this quick and dirty mockup showed:

tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-08-24-02-15-11.jpg?1598759418

So, as an alternative, I proposed placing the additional biobed back at the center of the room (as its placed on TNG), with the nurse station moved to a new alcove in that wall next to the door. While still making a corridor there unlikely, at least the doors would be more usable with it there.

The changes to the main ICU are mostly done, though I might add some more lights. The office will still require some more changes (and probably new chairs) but the bulk of the work is done. And yes, I know, it's blue. :p

tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1598760145
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-02.jpg?1598760157
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-03.jpg?1598760167
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-04.jpg?1598760177
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Captain SerekrojrenLizzy777publiusrsolaremesFreakBrandenberg
    I like the basic layout, but IMO, the pillars from the 1701-E bridge look a bit out of place here, but that’s just my opinion. I also think the colors and lighting make the set seem way too cold. Again, just my opinion. I like that you added the blankets with the ship name on them.
    Rekkert
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Looks fantastic. FWIW, I actually kind of like the Ent-E pillars in there (maybe a little more so than on the original FC bridge, TBH), but how about incorporating the caduceus into them? Also, I'd darken the light border carpeting so it's just a few shades lighter than the blue (and still desaturated).
    Rekkert
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    edited August 2020 #2906
    I like the new nurse’s alcove. The sickbay has a strange “Star Trek: Undiscovered Country” vibe to it, feels like an Excelsior sickbay.
    Post edited by JMP11 on
    Rekkert
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    The only thing I don't like is that center biobed, it makes the whole place feel cluttered. I like that the ICU is separated from everything else. On top of that, with the biobed gone you can more easily bring in stretchers or whatever other equipment you need.
    Rekkert
    @BolianAdmiral: Cold it certainly is, but that's by request. As for the pillars, now that I've further modified that area maybe they fit in a bit better. ;)

@seanr: Thanks! Ohh, that's a great idea with the caduceus! I've been trying to incorporate it to the horizontal lights as it was on Nemesis but I didn't like how they looked. The columns ended up being the perfect spot for them! :)

@JMP11: Yeah, I guess it's all the blue hahaha. The color scheme is actually based on Discovery's sickbay, but it immediately screams "Excelsior" to me too. :)

@BlueNeumann: True, though as the whole ICU area is expanded from TNG, the central bed has a lot more clearance from the rest of the beds than it did on the show. Per my client's description, that central bed is for quick examinations or for emergencies, while the more secluded surgical area is for scheduled procedures.

Finished modeling work on the ICU and surgical areas. I've replaced all the screens with more era-appropriate versions based on the Nemesis sets, with an included keyboard area for the main ICU screen (which is actually the small handrail console placed behind the Captain on the bridge, rotated around). I've also added more lights to the surgical room, and started working on the office.

tadeo-d-oria-cx-01.jpg?1598863507
    tadeo-d-oria-cx-03.jpg?1598863530
    tadeo-d-oria-cx-02.jpg?1598863520
    BolianAdmiralashleytingerLizzy777solaremesCaptain SerekFreakBrandenbergevil_genius_180
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Incredible work Rekkert!
    When I grow, I hope to be at least half good as you. :)
    Rekkert
    The design of the sick bay looks very nice! I like the second biobed.

Regarding the new nurse’s alcove and the adjoining corridor: You could move the entrance doors to the rear and add a door alcove in between, comparable to the Turbolift-alcove on the Voyager bridge. By doing that, the corridor could run along behind the nurse alcove and the design would make more sense.
    Rekkert
    Very nice. I agree, adding the medical emblem to the pillars helped. The nurse’s office looks great.
    Rekkertevil_genius_180