Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DChris Foss Dune

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
edited May 2020 in Work in Progress #1
Watched Jodorowsky's Dune documentary the other day and had to make some Chris Foss Dune ships! Thankfully I already had the book...this was sorta a one day challenge, break from my Viper.1d8of76sd1f3.jpg
Used 3ds Max, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Phoenix, and Vray
Post edited by Guerrilla on
evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777P5ych0p4thFreaksrspicerRekkertxiaorobearGuerrillapubliusr
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's cool. Is that an Atreides ship or something from one of the other factions? It's a shame the version of Dune Chris Foss was attached to never got made, if that's the sort of stuff they had planned.

Dune is a great book, I'm still waiting for a movie or series that properly adapts it. (I have a feeling I'll be waiting indefinitely)
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Thanks, I think it's just a general spice hauler design, you can see more here, Duke Letos car is cool as are the Guild and Sadaukar ships
    https://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/chris-foss
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4th
    Trying out a background...might add some more blue smoke in the front too...
    m0w41wvw1kts.jpg
    evil_genius_180srspicerNathan RubricP5ych0p4thLizzy777FreakashleytingerrojrenStarrigger
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Looking great! I’m not that familiar with Dune. I’ve pretty much only watched the the TV Mini Series in the early 2000s and it’s sequel.

But - and I’m saying this having never read the books - I always felt, the whole thing would work a lot better as a proper TV Show. Starting with some seasons, that are basically a prequel to the story told in the first book. Even the Miniseries with its more than 4 Hours seems a little rushed.

But then again ... I always felt, really good SciFi belongs on TV. The Worldbuilding you can do with all that time ... there’s just no replacing it. It’s only rivalled by books, but as much as I appreciate Imagination, I’ve always been more of a visual guy. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    That image is absolutely outstanding.

As for Dune, the early 2000s miniseries is good, so is the 1984 film. Neither is a complete representation of the original book, but they both get closer in some areas than the other does. A new movie is in the works, I'm on a wait and see approach. The casting is insane, a lot of big names. That's not necessarily a good thing.
    P5ych0p4th
    edited May 2020 #7
    That image is absolutely outstanding.

As for Dune, the early 2000s miniseries is good, so is the 1984 film. Neither is a complete representation of the original book, but they both get closer in some areas than the other does. A new movie is in the works, I'm on a wait and see approach. The casting is insane, a lot of big names. That's not necessarily a good thing.

Im excited about the movie...I've loved all of Denis Villenueves movies so far, especially Bladrunner, amazing design and world building, so I am optimistic. I actually have only read the book, barely saw the Lynch movie, never saw the tv series....
    Post edited by japetus on
    edited May 2020 #8
    I saw the Lynch movie for the first time ages ago and never knew I was supposed to hate it. :p That was the limit of my Dune knowledge until last year. I read the first book and part of the second. The second one was a rougher read than the first, which is fantastic. Then I watched the miniseries. The miniseries has more of the book in it, as in more parts from the book. However, it's actually less faithfully adapted than what was done in the Lynch film. What is in the Lynch film is pretty faithful to the book, but it's just not long enough. (budget cuts and whatnot kept it even shorted than originally intended) That book needs to be at least two films that long, possibly three. It's just so massive. The miniseries did some annoying stuff, like just changing things for the sake of changing them. For one thing, they greatly expanded Princess Irulan's role in the miniseries. She's hardly in the first novel. And they did some other weird stuff too.

Like I said, I'm on a wait and see approach with the movie due out in December. (for now) It's got some really interesting casting choices. A lot of big names in small parts, like they're hoping to sell the movie on the strength of its cast. Of course, there are also a lot of big names in big parts. One odd one is Dave Bautista as Beast Rabban. He's 26 years older than the guy playing Paul, as opposed to the few years older he should be, based on the book. But, we'll see.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    Excellent. Always room for more Foss and Dune around here. :)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Agreed

If I had to do a backstory for the glow, I’d have it as a tanker or hauling some giant larvae
    Can't quite decide which version I like, I think I like C, for some reason Dune is always very orange in my mind...but I'm gonna call this done and move on to other things!

spice-container-comp-v04A.jpg
    spice-container-comp-v04B.jpg
    spice-container-comp-v04C.jpg
    evil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777FreakP5ych0p4thlennier1Starrigger
    They all look great, but I actually like the top one best. There's something about the lack of color that speaks to how deserts really are. Plus, the gold ship and blue spice gas really pop against the muted colors.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    First one looks more realistic to me. Third one has more of a movie poster vibe.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    First one looks more realistic to me. Third one has more of a movie poster vibe.

I second that.
    Lizzy777
  • Starship1405Starship1405332 Posts: 22Member
    A nice take on this piece of original art. Never understood quite how the vehicle worked, but you've suggested some interesting things here.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    How many projects do you have going at the same time? :#
    The thing is - it's all fabulous stuff.
    I think I like the top one the best too.
    japetus
    Ha, thanks. That particular project is done, and I'm trying to wind down Arges now....Thing is I didn't do any side projects for about 5 years... guess it piled up!
    publiusr
    japetus wrote: »
    Thing is I didn't do any side projects for about 5 years... guess it piled up!
    Ahhh, so you actually do 3D art for a living.
    edited August 2020 #19
    japetus wrote: »
    Thing is I didn't do any side projects for about 5 years... guess it piled up!
    Ahhh, so you actually do 3D art for a living.

Yeah, at sfstudios.com, mostly advertising based, which is the only reason I have access to so many programs, couldn't swing it otherwise!
    Post edited by japetus on
    Is this the place? I'm interested because I grew up in Seattle and my brothers and sisters are still in the area. I just finished the book 747 by Joe Sutter the lead engineer for the 747 project at Boeing. It holds a special interest for me because my father took my brother and I to Paine Field in Everett and we were there when the 747 lifted off the ground the first time. That plane was so well conceived and designed that it outlasted all other wide body jets. About 50 years and still going. It outlasted Joe Sutter who passed away at 95 on August 30, 2016.

Pilots love the plane. From the beginning it flew really well. Meanwhile, the simultaneously developed Douglas DC-10 and the Lockheed L10-11 have all been relegated to history. Originally the 747 was a side project because governments around the world were all interested in SST's. Those are now history too. Sutter took some flak for the care and flexibility he built into that plane. Most know that that hump on the back was part of the flexibility because Joe wanted to make it a potential cargo plane. The Pilot's area is above the tube of the plane and just forward of the hump. This allows the nose to lift up so that cargo can be front-loaded.
    4xtrxsnf8w3k.jpg
    Ha, forgot about that picture. Yeah that is my boss and our producer, that's our whole company there plus or minus the occasional freelancers. I'm in the checkered shirt :-D. Cool that you are from Seattle! I grew up there and around there as well. It's different now than it used to be, way busier and more hectic, it's lost a bit of it's charm I think.
    You’re in the corner. Yeah I love Seattle. In fact they just got the Seahawks about the time I moved away. I think there was a contest to name them. After the name was picked, I remember a Seattle Times piece about, “So what is a Seahawk, anyway.” The author decided it was an Osprey. They made a good choice when they did the logo a little like the local Indian totem pole art. So excited was I when,
    xg2zqtd9j1cn.jpeg
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Cool Stuff, Nice to see something other then Star Trek (verity is the SPICE of life - pun intended)... And from a fellow Washington resident no less! I'm holding down the South-East (Richland) area though... Hot as Heck right now (100+)...
    japetus
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    You’re in the corner. Yeah I love Seattle. In fact they just got the Seahawks about the time I moved away. I think there was a contest to name them. After the name was picked, I remember a Seattle Times piece about, “So what is a Seahawk, anyway.” The author decided it was an Osprey. They made a good choice when they did the logo a little like the local Indian totem pole art. So excited was I when,
    xg2zqtd9j1cn.jpeg

Now we have the Kraken! Our hockey team! Logo kinda lame but name sweet
    Starrigger