Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DModel Conversion

2»

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    japetus wrote: »
    I use 3ds max now cuz that's what my various employers have used over the years...
    Wait. So you do this for a living? Cool.
    evil_genius_180
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited August 2020 #33
    The subscription thing is a bunch of BS to get you to keep paying money for your software. Also, it comes from the line of thinking that you don't own software, you just rent it. That's Microsoft's thinking, it's in their 90 page end user license agreement that nobody reads. Though, for some stuff, it does make sense. Max and Maya are great examples. They used to sell for around $3500 for each version. That's a one time price for a use it forever license. Switching to the sub plan allows you to try them for $205 a month. If you don't like it, you can just stop paying and your subscription will expire. So, it's good for that.
    JasonAdank wrote: »
    Well, Its a tough one. I guess it comes down to how often youre upgrading your software. But Max, Maya and Houdini all go for 250 a year now.. but of course you have to keep renewing. And i really hate this new subscription model jibberish. But then again Lightwave is 1000 straightup or 500 to upgrade. So the other guys have definitely made themselves competitive for the single/freelance users

Yeah, I just saw your post on that Autodesk deal. I didn't know about that. It's certainly better than $205 a month, $1620 a year or $4,375 for 3 years. Houdini is actually free if you don't use it for commercial endeavors. Their paid versions start at $269 a year.

I don't upgrade my software all that often, I'm still using Lightwave 2018. It's working for me. I upgraded during a sale, it was about $350 or $400 for the upgrade. They run those specials from time to time. Prior to LW 2018, I was running LW 10.
    I always liked the hypervoxels in lightwave, was great for effects like fireballs and space stuff! I used it way back in '99‐'05 around the time they started to talk about Core. I think v7 was the last one I used. Started on v5 thanks to a friend of my dads giving it to me and I fell in love! I use 3ds max now cuz that's what my various employers have used over the years...

I messed with the hypervoxels several years ago. They are pretty cool.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    JasonAdank
    Wowsers. You jumped from 2010 to 2018? You had to notice a few differences, the biggest we have already discussed to death - "Physcially-based Rendering"
    evil_genius_180
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    I use 3ds max now cuz that's what my various employers have used over the years...
    Wait. So you do this for a living? Cool.

Unfortunately I don't make cool spaceships for a living, it's usually much more mundane :-D
    evil_genius_180
    screenshot-10.png?w=800

I can't believe it! You've got it BACK?!!! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Yeah, but it's really inaccurate. So much so that it's actually bugging me. But, I knew this would happen. That's my V2 Constellation, it was with the V3 that I got way closer to screen accuracy. I have to decide what I'm going to do with it. I may do a partial rebuild. I may just say "screw it" and do a total rebuild.

Though, I'm tempted to just build a new TMP Connie and then use that for kitbashing purposes. I miss my old TMP Connie. And, I'm never getting that mesh back.
    I miss my old TMP Connie. And, I'm never getting that mesh back.
    That's just... so sad. :'(

evil_genius_180
    edited August 2020 #38
    This model is probably serviceable:

6b4lezi0kzhi.jpg

fd3q08bfoq6t.jpg

It's my version of an old design that's been around for ages. I think the nacelles and upper pylons are actually off of my V1 Constellation class. ;) The rest looks like bits from one of my Phase II ships and some stuff I built specifically for this model. It just needs new textures.

Yeah, note to everyone (myself included.) Back things up to the cloud. Local backups can have problems.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    BolianAdmiraljapetusLizzy777publiusrBrandenberg
    The Intrepid is now released in Lightwave 2018 format:

https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/discussion/10000724/intrepid-type

As indicated in that thread, .fbx will be coming in the near future. I'd do it now if not for that thing where I need to go to work. ;)
    BolianAdmiral
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    This model is probably serviceable:

6b4lezi0kzhi.jpg

fd3q08bfoq6t.jpg

It's my version of an old design that's been around for ages. I think the nacelles and upper pylons are actually off of my V1 Constellation class. ;) The rest looks like bits from one of my Phase II ships and some stuff I built specifically for this model. It just needs new textures.

Yeah, note to everyone (myself included.) Back things up to the cloud. Local backups can have problems.

I like this design.
    evil_genius_180
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    edited August 2020 #41
    [/quote]

Yeah, note to everyone (myself included.) Back things up to the cloud. Local backups can have problems.[/quote]

Yeah, I lost a Huey I was making once that way...of course right after I got the buttons and switches of the cockpit done. "Hey! Why is my file 0 kb??!!" Every few years I think...I should start that up again...I just can't...

Post edited by japetus on
    evil_genius_180
    Ugh, losing anything with buttons and switches has to be painful. I've heard about that issue with Max before, where your save file goes bad.
    edited August 2020 #43
    You guys are scaring me to death. :#
    Another GREAT model, Chris!
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Interesting object ;)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I seem to remember a TNG Stargazer ship with a secondary hull in place of the lower nacelle pairing
    publiusr wrote: »
    I seem to remember a TNG Stargazer ship with a secondary hull in place of the lower nacelle pairing

Yeah, it was in some of the comics.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I wish we’d see more fan designs, or even more studio kitbashes that made use of the Constellation’s thicker saucer. I always felt there ought be other ships that had that feature.
    The Miranda class saucer seems to be the more popular one for kitbashing purposes. But, various other parts of the Constellation class do make it into projects, both official and unofficial. For example, the Freedom class uses the neck and one of the greebles from the Constellation class.
    BolianAdmiral
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I'm glad you're able to recover some of your older assets, Chris! However, I think you suffer from some of the same compulsions that I suffer from. You'll be rebuilding it more accurately soon! LOL!
    evil_genius_180
    scifieric wrote: »
    I'm glad you're able to recover some of your older assets, Chris! However, I think you suffer from some of the same compulsions that I suffer from. You'll be rebuilding it more accurately soon! LOL!

Thanks Eric. In the case of the Intrepid, that's not really possible. I used orthos of the filming model to build it, so it doesn't get much more accurate. As for the Constellation, I can't motivate myself to work on other people's designs right now, so that isn't happening either. Some of the others I've taken a look at (but not posted) are my own designs. I have to decide what I'm doing with those.