Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Looking great! Love the BOP
    Brandenberg
    Have there been very many BoP models done on this site? For some reason I just can't recall any. However, I admit I can forget - as you know.

Not that I can recall. I was speaking of BOP models in general. I've seen some over the years where the colors aren't that accurate. Though, some of them were probably before HD images of the ship were available.

I think I had to use my BoP scale mod when I did mine cuz DVDs were hardly a thing 😉
    evil_genius_180
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited August 2020 #1234
    Oh you did one? That would be fun to see. You know the pain then... :# :) @japetus
    Drew the side (Klingon House?) logo and applied it to my UV map. While I was at it, I took time to correct the shape of the piece the gun is mounted to. You know, you're just guessing at this stuff first pass because the drawings are inaccurate and photos can't be shot orthographically - and are at angles to the model anyway. I believe I'm pretty darn close now. At least on that part of the model.
    vjtzur90fmg0.jpg
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    LeoBerlinFreakLizzy777
    k2hpm2lw5xif.jpg
    LeoBerlinFreakLizzy777
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Have there been very many BoP models done on this site? For some reason I just can't recall any. However, I admit I can forget - as you know.

Not that I can recall. I was speaking of BOP models in general. I've seen some over the years where the colors aren't that accurate. Though, some of them were probably before HD images of the ship were available.

I think I had to use my BoP scale mod when I did mine cuz DVDs were hardly a thing 😉

Heh, I remember doing my first Constellation class model with VHS captures someone had made. They had those wavy lines in them you got when you paused a tape. Needless to say, the HD pics and 1080p screen caps have made me realize how inaccurate it was. But, that was what I had.
    Brandenbergjapetus
    VHS. There are people alive today that won't know what we are talking about. I remember taping the original Start Trek on my first VHS player.
    ashleytinger
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    VHS. There are people alive today that won't know what we are talking about. I remember taping the original Start Trek on my first VHS player.

I had all of Farscape, Babylon 5 and most of TOS and TNG on VHS taped right off the broadcast. Good times ;)
    evil_genius_180Brandenberg
    I had some Star Trek on VHS. I had some of those tapes you had to order that had two episodes a piece of TOS or TNG, and I had some single episode TOS ones. I never ordered the double episode ones, I bought them secondhand. I also had the pilot episodes of all four (at the time) shows. And, at one point I ordered all of TAS on VHS from a website, so I had those too. I think it was 11 tapes, 2 episodes a piece. And, of course, the movies. I had that boxed set with movies 1-6 where, if you put them in the box and had the sides showing, they made a picture of the Enterprise. I had a Godzilla box set that did that too, it made a picture of Godzilla from The Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1985.) The first Star Trek movie I never had on VHS was Insurrection, I had purchased a DVD player by the time it was released, so I bought the DVD.

Ah, good memories. :) I actually had a sizeable collection of tapes before I moved over to DVD. Now I have those and Blu-Rays all over the place. ;)
    Brandenberg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member

After all the time I've put into this, that comment is like water to a guy lost in the desert. Thanks.

It's well earned. The only other person I can think of who's gone to such pain staking lengths for accuracy like this is MadKoi.

Brandenberg
    edited August 2020 #1241
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    It's well earned. The only other person I can think of who's gone to such pain staking lengths for accuracy like this is MadKoi.

Thanks @Vortex5972

:) We're mad, I tell you - Crazy MAD! :p
    I just spent the morning trying to finish up little pieces of "styrene" on the wings, two little pieces that look like Resisters under the wings on the red plating, and most importantly, dug into the detail on the trailing edge of the wing. There are little blocks across the back, about 90 (I had to change the size and increase the number I had) and also some detail hard to see on the gun side of those thrusters at the back of the wing. Also realized that the "House Logo" on the engine mount goes on both sides - and of course is different from side to side. Mine isn't right now, but I may go there.
    co0azqrim3ik.png

evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited August 2020 #1242
    This is a closeup of the greebles in the aforementioned highly technical "greeble holder" on top of the wing. This one is close to the original.
    cgsvqlg3cixc.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited August 2020 #1243
    These are the Greebles in the recess under the upper portion of the main hull. The square open area is where the red lit recess is. This is completely made up, since there are no really clear photos I know of.
    pvr4k0iljhta.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited August 2020 #1244
    And finally, this is what I could see about the structures on the outside of the right upper main hull. Still playing with that - rounding edges etc. The color applied is awful for now. Doesn't show on renders though.
    kghwmnek979d.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    The greeblies are all looking great. Wow, that's a lot of meticulous painstaking work.
    Brandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Those are some nice greebles.
    Brandenberg
    Man, yeah I must digitized some VHS tapes, indeed came across some episodes of Deep Space Nine a couple layers deep of recordings on the tape. 😆 Seeing your amazing work has dissuaded me from rebooting this model for now, so much work! You are doing a great job. Them Klingons love their greebles!
    Brandenberg
    edited August 2020 #1248
    I'd still love to see yours @japetus
    Neck image - Screen shot.
    nqxp79azzp42.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777Freak
    Looking at it up close like this, the detailing very much reminds me of the ships and space junk from Spacehunter Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
    Brandenberg
    I like the grime.
    Brandenberg
    edited August 2020 #1252
    I like the grime.
    Some of the rust spots are lifted straight from the pictures of the original model. Why not? :3
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180
    LOL nice! Love it!
    Brandenberg
    edited August 2020 #1254
    Thanks all.

I began tackling the plating on the vented greeble covers on the main hull between the cooling fins.

87bedoxa2ur6.jpg
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Vented greeble covers is a technical term, correct? ;)
    Brandenberg
    Vented greeble covers is a technical term, correct? ;)
    You betcha :)
    publiusr
    6xos1roj9uss.jpg
    More detail on the covers.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakMadKoiFish
    Wow, those are some intricate and curvy details. How did you get them to conform to the curve? Did you use the heat shrink tool?
    Brandenberg
    Wow, those are some intricate and curvy details. How did you get them to conform to the curve? Did you use the heat shrink tool?
    I thought about it and I think I had better try that approach for my own sanity. This time around I used brute force and just hand bent it with the rotate tool. I wouldn't blame you if you rolled your eyes. I appreciate you noticing the work that went into it - because WORK went into it.
    evil_genius_180
    edited August 2020 #1260
    Well, I'd better correct myself. I hand bent the round conduits / pipes / wires. For the raised "styrene plastic" greeble stuff I just took the skin, made a copy and cut them with something that matched the shape from top down. Then I "smooth shifted" a few millimeters outward. That's what I do with all the plating too with some exceptions. There are times when I have to do some "Numeric Translate" to slide points along planes.
    Of course I noticed the work that went into it. Like I said, complex parts bent around a complex curve. Not easy and very time consuming to do.
    Brandenberg