Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I never noticed the oval shape of the Grissom bridge... I always thought it was a circle?

The slid the helm and Captain's chair over so it was a very abbreviated set from the Enterprise bridge. Only way that works is an oval really.

They got pretty creative when they needed to make the same set look like different ships.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    edited July 2020 #2853
    Woo! I've enjoyed seeing your journey throughout this thread, @Rekkert, and I have to agree with what others have said that you have a talent for designing interiors.

Anyway, back to topic at hand, those consoles look like they are just designed to evoke a certain aesthetic without a lot of thought put into how someone's supposed to use the things. I get the client wants to evoke that shape, so not much to do except maybe shrinking it down or talking with the client about tweaks to make them more usable while trying to keep things the same.

That said, I think you could get what you are after and have things evoke the stylings of the NX-01. I tried sketching out some top-down views of the console to see if I could do anything with that shape.
    E7X9fJRh.png
    Post edited by Adam Warnock on
    Rekkertslybrarian
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited July 2020 #2854
    @evil_genius_180: Regarding the NX consoles, yeah I think the main problem is how the "NASA aesthetic" of having buttons everywhere took over when the bridge was being built. Contrast the concept art by Eaves to the finished bridge, and you'll see that originally all buttons and screens were designed to be in easy reach of the user. But when the set was built under Zimmerman and the Okudas, every nook and cranny was filled with more screens and more buttons, even if they were left in very uncomfortable positions.
    tadeo-d-oria-con-8.jpg?1595731650
    tadeo-d-oria-sc4.jpg?1595731654

@Rusty0918: Ohh, that's good idea! I'll pass it along to my client! :)

@nightfever: Haha, while I certainly started for fun, most of my projects now are commissions (two thirds to be exact, I've completed 25 personal projects and 48 projects for clients). It's still very much fun, but it's also my job and sole source of income for almost 4 years at this point.

@BolianAdmiral: Well, the filming set was a circle as it was the Enterprise bridge set, but as @ashleytinger pointed out, they removed the rails and moved the helm and Captain's chair over to the side in order to make it look smaller. As the Grissom was the last use of the Enterprise bridge set in TSFS, the very same configuration was then used for the Saratoga at the beginning of TVH, before the set was extensively modified for the Enterprise-A.

@mdta: Indeed, the top portion of the "wings" on those consoles will be readouts and those huge LCARS buttons seen at the top of most consoles, as they're easier to press without needing to be ultra precise.

@Adam Warnock: Thanks very much Adam, both for the comments and the sketches! I still have to hear back from my client about what to do with these, but I'll certainly keep those designs in mind if we decide to keep iterating on the design. :)

I did some more work on the Hermes, but as I'm still waiting for client feedback on the latest changes on that bridge, I'll hopefully be posting that tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's the last of the small commissions I had going on, and it's certainly a different one (even if it's 99% a re-use)...

So, last week I did the USS Intrepid; and yesterday, by total coincidence, I was contacted by a different person about doing the ISS Intrepid bridge... This is the first Trek interior I do which isn't normal Starfleet (yes, I did one civilian craft but it was essentially the same).

The original request of the client was to have this one be basically the Potemkin bridge but with "evil lighting and red carpeting", plus the iconic Terran logo on the doors, and any other changes I might think of. Well, I could think of several small but unique tweaks to do... I added another step for the Captain, so that their chair is a bit more of a throne; I added a big Terran logo on the floor and another one embossed on the Captain's chair; and changed the whole LCARS pallet to better complement the yellow of said Terran logo. Plus all the colors around were tweaked in one way or another, everything is a touch darker than on the original Potemkin bridge. Since before doing any 3D interiors I was a fan of the bridge drawings done by Sean Tourangeau, including his 'Dark Mirror Universe' stuff, so I can definitely say some of that aesthetic was integrated into this bridge.

As stated before, most of this bridge was a rework of existing pieces I had, so it only took a day of work; still I'm very happy with how it turned out, I think it has an appropriately different atmosphere while still being similar to the Terran bridges we saw on screen. The logo being used, in case anyone's wondering, is the TNG era design first used in the Mirror Broken comics. That was another suggestion of mine, as the original intention was to use the Enterprise era Terran logo.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1595739089
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1595739097
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1595739105
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1595739113
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1595747725
    tadeo-d-oria-c6-01.jpg?1595747732
    tadeo-d-oria-iss-intrepid-38907-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1595739127
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180FreakslybrarianBolianAdmiralLizzy777Brandenberg
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Looks great!

Here's a thought: put a grill or translucent screen behind the captain aligned exactly with the curved rear edge of that raised platform (and move the seat forward on it a bit), sort or like he's concerned about being stabbed/shot in the back. ;) You can even move the Terran Empire logo off the floor to behind the captain's head, so that it might strike fear into the hearts of his adversaries as he demands their unconditional surrender. :D Here's a quick PS mockup of what that could look like:

baf1ux4t0y0o.png
    FreakRekkertBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    @Rekkert: I can actually picture John Eaves at his desk, table or whatever, actually sitting and maybe reaching out, carefully planning where to put buttons to make them to where they could be reached, because he's practically minded like that. Then on set, Zimmerman and Okuda were like: Bare spot, needs buttons. ;) The NASA aesthetic works without gravity. Float over here, use these buttons, float over there, hit those switches. It's also carefully designed, but with weightlessness in mind. Where they actually sit in the cockpit, it's just like a plane where everything you need to activate is within reach. So, yeah, they're pretty practically minded with Star Trek (goes back to Matt Jefferies) but sometimes it gets away from them and form takes precedent over function. I'm sure when you do your LCARS for those consoles it will all work out.

I love the ISS Intrepid bridge. I have those comics, so it's cool seeing you use that emblem.
    Rekkert
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Nicely done. I know I'd be quaking in my boots. I also like the alteration that @seanr did. Even if the client doesn't go for it, it'd make for an interesting variation to add to your portfolio. Maybe the Terran shipwrights offer it as an option for captains that tick off their crew a little too much. :p
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    That ISS bridge is awesome. I love everything about it
    Rekkert
    edited July 2020 #2859
    @seanr: Thanks! Oh, that's a great idea! I really wanted to have the big logo on the floor, as a little homage to Tourangeau's bridge drawings, as they've always been my go to when imagining imperial interiors. But if I tackle another Terran bridge, maybe as a personal project rather than as a commission, having the Captain's back protected that way makes sense, and would make for a very visually distinct design. :)
    sean-tourangeau-iss-enterprise-1701-d-bridge-by-stourangeau.jpg?1474320196
    sean-tourangeau-iss-titan-bridge-by-stourangeau.jpg?1474320198
    @evil_genius_180: Yeah that's a good point about working in micro gravity, which obviously makes things easier to reach all over, but that not translating well into the NX bridge.

@Adam Warnock: lol, plus a big display of the Terran logo for when doing ship-to-ship communications. Perhaps something for a flagship... Hmm...

@ashleytinger: Thanks! :)

Here's an update on the Hermes. I redid the ceiling assembly and added some more spotlight lighting, to provide a less even illumination, indicative of an old ship. I also added the platform for the Captain, as on the Grissom (and same design I used for the ISS Intrepid, it was actually done for this bridge), and more details around the viewscreen area, including the dedication plaque. I also changed the chairs to bulkier versions as per my client wishes.

Finally, for the aft section, after testing some alternatives, we went with some access panels and overhead monitors, which will showcase a top and a side view of the ship, similar to the MSD of the Brattain. As you can see these LCARS are still in progress, but other than that the design is mostly finalized at this point.

tadeo-d-oria-c2-02.jpg?1595884336
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-02.jpg?1595884345
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerBolianAdmiralBrandenbergFreakLizzy777
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    The ISS bridge is fascinating. Love it. All your work is spot on.
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Yeah, I love the colors on that ISS bridge. And the Hermes is coming along nicely.
    Rekkert
    I love the Hermes bridge. It looks very efficient.
    Rekkert
    edited July 2020 #2863
    Thanks @Brandenberg @BolianAdmiral and @evil_genius_180! :)

Okey, here's the Hermes finished! Not much changed from the last updates of course, just the finished MSD area at the back, and a change of dedication plaque style, per my client's request.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1595916504
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1595915975
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1595915984
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1595915992
    tadeo-d-oria-c5-01.jpg?1595916000
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-hermes-a-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1595916058
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BolianAdmiralFreakCaptain Serek
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    We never really got to see any TNG-era Oberth-class bridges despite the ship being used as a guest/victim ship from time to time. Well, we saw PART of the Tsiolkovsky bridge in "The Naked Now," which had an airlock/emergency hatch that could be blown out, not to mention TMP-era butterfly/seashell chairs. I could see an adaption of this bridge being used for such though, you'd have to get rid of the rearmost parameter stations and the aft section to make room for the airlock and controls.
    @Rusty0918: Yeah, I've been discussing the Tsiolkovsky bridge elsewhere recently, my working theory is that it had such a specific mission profile that a special hatch on the bridge made sense in context. Maybe it usually investigates ion storms and other spatial phenomena like that, and thus it was outfitted with a special module at the back of the bridge that functions as a regular science station most of the time, but that can be detached and used as an ion pod directly by the science officer. Maybe in their drunken state, said science officer took the pod out for a ride, which would've triggered the airlock to close off. Then the drunken bridge crew caused it to open back up. That could explain the otherwise silly reasoning for having a hatch directly behind the Captain.

I had a specific bridge concept for an Oberth-Class bridge in my head for a while, and given the recent Hermes commission I was motivated to finally start it. Well, sort of...

See, my idea was simple, take the Enterprise-A bridge aesthetic from the end of The Voyage Home, apply it to an oval shaped bridge; and it would be perfect for the USS Copernicus, which also appeared in The Voyage Home. It could be a realistic reuse if for whatever reason the interior of that ship needed to be seen during the movie.

Thing is, I don't have any of the specific models from that era already modeled, and I certainly wasn't gonna tackle such a big project now, given that I have several commissions to get back to, so I'll leave the USS Copernicus idea for another time.

For now though, I really wanted to do an Oberth bridge with that clean look, particularly because I've been meaning to have another personal project ship like the USS Potemkin, so that I can then do sickbay, engineering, shuttlebay, etc, and thus experiment more in this era of Trek. Just like with the Potemkin, I wanted to take a name from canon and build upon that, instead of just inventing my own ship (that both helps with making my work more discoverable, and with my OCD tendencies of wanting to add to what's already canon). Problem is, other than the Grissom, Oberth and Copernicus, there aren't any other canon Oberth-Class ships from the era. I toyed with using the USS Banting from Starfleet Academy, as I have a lot of fond memories of that game, but as mentioned before I wasn't entirely comfortable with that because it wasn't from canon.

In the end, I went down a rabbit hole for an alternative. On TUC there's the USS Helin NCC-1692, named after US astronomer Eleanor F. Helin. The ship was just listed in some okudagrams, it wasn't seen or mentioned, but according to Memory Alpha, "In an issue of Bjo Trimble's Space-Time Continuum, it was mentioned that Eleanor F. Helin was given a model of an Oberth-class ship which bore this name." So it was promising, but I wanted to find proof of this. After some research around NASA sites, I ended up finding a photo of a dedication plaque for the USS Helin from the Helin Family Estate, indicating that it was given to her "by the Star Trek franchise" in honor of the naming of this ship. Bingo! It might not be exactly canon, but the USS Helin being an Oberth-Class was intended by the powers that be. Thus I decided to make that ship my Oberth project (and yes, I updated Memory Alpha with this seemingly new information).

tadeo-d-oria-image12.jpg?1596401007

So, here's what I've got so far. The bridge is oval shaped just like the Grissom's, while using a latter visual style (a mix of TVH and TFF), plus the Enterprise-B Captain's chair, just because I LOVE that thing. I decided to add some steps and rails, to make it more visually interesting than the Grissom. The station chairs colors are taken from the prototype from the Thunder Bay Museum (now that I think about it, it was listed as 'Star Trek chair', so maybe it has those colors on purpose to match the Enterprise-A from the end of TVH?). Other than that I'll be designing this one as I go, and it might not be finished right away, but still, I wanted to share what I had.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1596400791
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1596400800
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777ViperWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiral
    Great start on the bridge. Also, really cool story behind the USS Helin.
    Rekkert
    Love seeing you play in another era. Really looking forward to this!
    Rekkert
    edited August 2020 #2868
    Glad you like the start on the Helin bridge, though as I mentioned on that post I won't be finishing it soon, as I have to get back on track with commissions.

I've been rather silent this past week, and that was due to the fact that I've finally moved out and in with my partner. Covid made this whole time and transition more difficult than was needed, but it is what it is, now it's finally done.

So, back to the USS Lafayette bridge commission! The command area was moved forward in order to better balance out the bridge, and make it seem shorter than the Enterprise-D's. Because of this, the steps at the sides are now rotated somewhat, which I think looks better than having them straight as they were before.

As you can see there are also handrails now added at the sides, and the circuitry access panels were modified to have the Future Imperfect style top section.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-02b.jpg?1596999528

Also, here's a little test of something I did using Blender's Freestyle tool. A long way to go to make it look properly cel shaded, but you know I'll be doing it sooner or later. ;)

EeSAFQxXYAACLIZ?format=png&name=large
    Stevie_DWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralLizzy777Captain SerekFreak
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Also, here's a little test of something I did using Blender's Freestyle tool. A long way to go to make it look properly cel shaded, but you know I'll be doing it sooner or later. ;)

So Star Trek Lower Decks version of Enterprise D and E interiors huh... 😁
    Rekkert
    Glad to hear you were finally able to move out and in with your partner. I know it's been a trying time for you, especially since you had to delay that move so long. Hopefully, now that it's done, things will start getting better for you.

The bridge is interesting. It's far from my favorite design, but it doesn't have to be. It's all about what your client wants. Your work, as always, is great.
    Rekkert
    Congrats on the move! Interesting bridge. The handrails help with that new raised area by the steps, but I'm still wondering what the client wants for that area, in terms of the wall. It'll be interesting to see what that space is filled with.
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918266 Posts: 451Member
    You know, this particular bridge configuration is similar to someone's concept of the USS Odyssey bridge from "The Jem'Hadar."
    Rekkert
    @mdta: I'm very tempted to do that, but one step at a time. ;)

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! Haha, fair enough, not every design is everyone's cup of tea.

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks! :) As you'll see below, nothing particular on that wall, the idea of the steps is to just have something else instead of the usual ramp from TNG.

@Rusty0918: Given the aft section lifted from that bridge, I'm not surprised. It would be an entirely plausible bridge, even if less accurate to the DS9 production sets.

Finished the steps area (and properly UV mapped the carpet) and added details on the walls. The classic TNG red alert indicators were placed right next to the aft consoles, while the wider wall was occupied with some isolinear panels.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-05.jpg?1597100996
    BolianAdmiralashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakCaptain SerekLizzy777
    I realize the painted and solid railing braces fit the TNG aesthetic a bit more but I'd love to see the TMP style braces in their place.
    Rekkert
    edited August 2020 #2875
    It seems a bit like wasted space to me, but that's just my opinion. I realize the same amount of space exists on the Ent-D bridge. That's probably why I love the "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "Generations" version of the bridge. I know why they didn't normally have stations there, the cost of manning them with extras was prohibitive, but it looks better to me. But, again, it's what your client wants. It is interesting seeing how people can keep coming up different configurations for the same rooms.

Anyway, your work is excellent as always. I really like the command area. The raised platform and two chairs are nice and rail/tactical console looks great. I like it without all the seating for extra (unnecessary) personnel.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Rekkertscifieric
    I really like the command area, and the positioning of the twin alert status indicators. Everything else, I'm really struggling with, lol. Like evil_genuis_180 said, your work, as always, is top-notch... it's just the design of this one isn't doing anything for me... at least not yet, lol. Then again, it's not finished yet, either, so I'll hold off final judgement until it's done.
    Rekkert
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Looking great as usual. IMO, all of those areas where the vertical faces of the steps/platforms meet the flat surfaces should have a thin outset rounded lip, sort of like a P - think of steps in a home, etc. Those little details go a long way, but in the real world, you also need somewhere to tack the carpet seams. ;) If you want to get fancy (and I strongly recommend you do), give them a bit more of an outset to hide LED strips under them for a great downward light a la the Sovereign class bridge.
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
    edited August 2020 #2878
    Yeah I get the comments regarding the new side areas, then again it's pretty much the same issue there was on the DS9 "bridge of the week" set with the sides being pretty much useless, compounded here by the wider room.

To give you all an idea, here's the schematic my client had and requested be made in 3D. We deviated from it on some areas, either as suggestions of my own or because my client wanted to me use specific assets from my previous bridges, but other than that it's gonna be closely followed:
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-from-2020-08-12-18-22-54.jpg?1597267406

@seanr: Oh I am aware of that, and on my 2370's bridges I usually go for that lip look + lighting under the steps, but here the idea with the blocky steps is to follow the TNG aesthetic as seen in the battle bridge set (and all its myriad redresses) and on the Parallels bridge. Sure, it certainly looks more "low budget", but then again that's the point I try to balance when tackling a 2360's design, though obviously in cases like this I discuss it with my client first to see what they'd like. :)

Been doing some more tests to try and get the Lower Decks looks using Freestyle and flatter lighting/materials. Not perfect but I'm quite happy with how easy and quick it is to do these. Whenever I do tackle the Cerritos I'll have to pay more attention to the details, of course.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01-cel.jpg?1597266346
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01-cel.jpg?1597266355
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01-cel.jpg?1597266364
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01-cel.jpg?1597266673
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180FreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777scifieric
    Heh... your client placed the Bridge Head right where I’m putting it in the next project I have in mind. I like the Lower Decks renders... pretty good match for the animation look.
    Rekkert
    Nice work so far on the cell shaded look. It's not an easy look to nail down, I've tried various times over the years.

I'm over on Cygnus-X1 looking at some of your interiors that you have on your page there. Man, you've done some great stuff. As I've said before, I love seeing all of the different ways you can come up with to do a bridge.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Yeah I get the comments regarding the new side areas, then again it's pretty much the same issue there was on the DS9 "bridge of the week" set with the sides being pretty much useless, compounded here by the wider room.

Yeah, that was kind of a weird set with the "extensions" on the sides past where the consoles ended. I mean, it worked for its purposes, it was jut kind of odd. The whole set was funky. It seems like no attempt was made to make it look circular, which is really odd since we first saw it as a Miranda-class ship.
    Rekkertscifieric
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    zUam18z.jpg
    When I look at this background art, part of me thinks it is a flat/cel shaded 3D render, perhaps with the lines drawn on top, to call out certain details.

It would be a clever idea to build all these "sets" in 3D for ease of production
    Rekkert