Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSome Trek ship imaginings

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks great. I love how the conference room looks when viewed through the windows, so if you added some images to the other windows on that structure, it would really help complete the illusion that it's a real ship with a full interior.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Looks great. I love how the conference room looks when viewed through the windows, so if you added some images to the other windows on that structure, it would really help complete the illusion that it's a real ship with a full interior.

Probably will, what area is that supposed to be in the bridge? Bathrooms? Ready room? I never knew
    It's below the bridge. The bridge is in the module on top of that structure. There's nothing official as to what is in the deck 2/3 structure, but the licensed TOS blueprints from the '70s have it as science labs. Of course, in TMP there as a big 2 deck observation lounge there. (and who knows what else)
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    BTW, might I suggest as one of the secondary names, USS Wheeler? After the John A. Wheeler, the scientist that coined the term 'wormhole'?
    Although keep Arges, I *really like* that one.
    japetus
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited August 2020 #126
    Your specular renders on the last page of this thread are breathtaking. You used bump map in the plating too, didn't you?

Love the shot with the conference table in it too, although as I look at the size of the furniture there, you may want to reduce it about 1 quarter to 1 third smaller. When I imagine the people sitting in those chairs, trying to occupy the bridge in the same shot, it seems like they would be too big. I might be wrong, sometimes the perspective can be deceiving.

Anyway, you sure know what you are doing!
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    edited August 2020 #127
    Your specular renders on the last page of this thread are breathtaking. You used bump map in the plating too, didn't you?

Love the shot with the conference table in it too, although as I look at the size of the furniture there, you may want to reduce it about 1 quarter to 1 third smaller. When I imagine the people sitting in those chairs, trying to occupy the bridge in the same shot, it seems like they would be too big. I might be wrong, sometimes the perspective can be deceiving.

Anyway, you sure know what you are doing!

Thanks, yeah I have a very slight normal map for the saucer, I may need to double check it seems blurry, but supposed to be subtle. I had a biped guy in the conference room for reference while I made it, but since I had to make him half scale things might be a bit large....I gotta rescale the world units

Post edited by japetus on
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    I would remove the normal map. I tried doing it on my ships, and it always threw off the scale to me.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I hope you do some of the Federation’s ships from the old Klingon Academy game.

I adore the outsized saucers
    publiusr wrote: »
    I hope you do some of the Federation’s ships from the old Klingon Academy game.

I adore the outsized saucers

I never played that, I'll have to check out the game!
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    japetus wrote: »
    Got some more time to work on it...now that reflections are turned on things are working right lol. Might it be too colorful? I can't decide, that era was a bit colorful, especially the Excelsior. Added the diffuse just to show

rt4uspphosc0.jpg
    I always thought that the Excelsior was too 'cartoony' a color scheme.
    This is a really nice 3D model! B)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Always liked ring ships.. and hard to do when combining with a saucer.. Looks awesome!
    Well now of course I am starting to think about interiors and boy howdy, I think a few things are a bit too large. I think my bridge and conference room are ok, but maybe some opinions from the real Star Trek pros here...I think my shuttlebay is way way too large now, but maybe it's more of a shuttle/cargo bay because those bay doors on the Enterprise-D were pretty huge. Granted, Star Trek doesn't have a great track record in regards to scaling of their ships, but at least this is no JJ-Prise! I have a dude in there now for some scale. What do people think?

people-scale1.jpg
    people-scale2.jpg
    people-scale3.jpg
    people-scale4.jpg
    people-scale5.jpg
    people-scale6.jpg
    Brandenbergevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777wolfman
    edited August 2020 #134
    Boy that's a series of fun shots. Yeah, the size seems correct. Did it turn out that you had to reduce the size of the Dining table in the conference room? Again, I could have been wrong, but I'm just curious.

It looks like Amazon.com just delivered a build-it-yourself shuttle for the crew to put together. ;)
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Boy that's a series of fun shots. Yeah, the size seems correct. Did it turn out that you had to reduce the size of the Dining table in the conference room? Again, I could have been wrong, but I'm just curious.

Yeah I think I scaled them down, then scaled the room down, then scaled them up, then down again...it was real hit and miss for a while :-D, overall I think the room seems a bit more reasonable. I've been looking at the scale of things in relation to room sizes on Ex-Astris' cutaway interiors. Very helpful.
    Oh. I meant to say the scratches on the shuttle bay doors are a nice touch. But now I think of your Viper so I'm not surprised. :)
  • JasonAdankJasonAdank33 Posts: 29Member
    What an interesting design, its definitely outside the norm or classic trek but i like it!
    Feel free to visit my now archaic Renderosity Gallery.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,233Member
    I think your scaling is just fine
    Only problem with the scale you chose is that it makes your saucer rim 4 decks high while the Enterprise was 2. So it might make your ship quite huge.
    edited August 2020 #140
    Your bay looks perfect. The size also depends on what types of shuttles it carries. Also, there are cases of shuttlebays that are several decks high, such as the ones on the Constellation class. Your colors and details are all looking really nice.
    japetus wrote: »
    Granted, Star Trek doesn't have a great track record in regards to scaling of their ships, but at least this is no JJ-Prise!

I used to think that too, but I've realized that a lot of Star Trek ships are nicely scaled, especially the ones done for the 80s movies. Starting with TMP and the wonderful job that Andrew Probert did with the Enterprise, designing it with the interiors in mind, the scales are dialed in. That carries over to TNG, where the Enterprise was once again dialed in to scale nicely. Both ILM (the pilot) and the other companies that did the effects for TNG kept the scales pretty consistent, especially with the Starfleet ships. The biggest scale issues come with ships like the Bird of Prey, where it got sized up or sometimes even down to fit the look someone wanted for a certain shot. This led to the theory that they used the same exterior design for multiple classes of ships and changed the size but kept the exterior details the same. (makes no sense) But, that was a case of them working with what they had available. The Defiant also had some issues too, I think, but a lot of the rest of the ships were really consistent. ILM back in the day was especially good at getting those scales right. The Reliant was built at 3/4 scale to the TMP Enterprise, but you can't tell on screen. It looks like it's built to the same scale.

The Enterprise from the JJ Abrams film is a different matter. It was clearly designed to be much smaller, but they increased the size of the ship to fit the massive transport shuttles, but they didn't increase the scale. So, you kind of wound up with the Bird of Prey issue, but worse, because the Enterprise has windows. It was a bad move, but I don't think it's necessarily ILM's fault, more likely that was a command from someone higher up the food chain.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    I like the size of the bay doors. I think that the bays should be deeper.

I agree with Viper concerning the outer saucer deck height. I think it would help to do an overlay of the TMP E and the Arges for size comparison.
    Another interior I did quick...I always liked the Hydroponics or whatever it was in the Enterprise-A, so I made a little hydroponics on mine in the big windows using some of Max's default foliage:
    hydroponics1.jpg
    hydroponics2.jpg
    rojrenBrandenbergLizzy777lewisniven
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I like the bay window, but I think it would look better wider.
    Maybe it's not too late to give it a thinner saucer...more around 3 decks instead of 4....I'll have to give it a try and I like the idea of loading on the Ent-A for some scale. Funny how in my mind when I started this ship was way smaller, like Oberth size, well not anymore! B)
    Yeah, there really is a lot of internal space in this model.
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    edited August 2020 #146
    This problem has a simple solution, IMO: your entire ship needs simply to be scaled down to about 75% or maybe two thirds of current maybe even without changing the size of any windows (though they could absolutely be larger relative to the airlock). Then the heights of the figures will make more sense relative to the sets. Right now, what is the height from centerpoint to centerpoint of windows on adjacent decks? Assuming they're not uniform, let's just consider the saucer rim decks. From that, I can get you a better percentage. Also, what is the external radius of the tan portion of the bridge dome? Note that the interior radius has never been more than 18 feet throughout the movie era and there's not much equipment and such between that and the outer hull (really just ductwork, cabling, and structural crap, etc).
    Post edited by seanr on
    japetus
    edited August 2020 #147

Thanks SeanR and others...right now on the saucer, the height between the windows' center points are about 16.2 feet. The radius of the bridge dome is 28 feet. Also using Viper's windows dimensions he posted a few pages ago, seems like scaling it to 64% of it's current size would make it much more on target. So yeah sounds like I need to do a bit scaling down!

Edit: now that I have the side views in...wow!
    6m5hd2n1rwum.png
    Post edited by japetus on
    So I scaled down about 64% and used Viper's and SeanR's numbers as guides. I also thinned the saucer a bit, and I think it's looking a lot better now...Unfortunately that messes up my workflow in Substance Painter since all my painting will be offset, but I think things are done enough where I can keep using the old mesh and just transfer the export to my scaled model...

i7kpc0b5i2l8.png
    kh4cxq8wnrym.png
    qf41vt5zqn4o.png
    djek8bsz71d4.png

evil_genius_180Nathan RubricFreakLizzy777srspicereagledocf15
    Yeah, that looks much better now :) The ship was absolutely massive before, heh.
    Viper wrote: »
    Yeah, that looks much better now :) The ship was absolutely massive before, heh.
    Wow, it really was. I was shocked to see it next to the Excelsior.
    Ok, i started working out the shuttlebay area. Hoping to keep it not too complicated and do a lot with textures (signage and stripes). I think it's coming along!

shuttlebay1.jpg

shuttlebay2.jpg
    RekkertFreakevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg