Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's probably also because it's made by hand and the greebles are probably just bits pulled from model kits, which is definitely a think ILM (and many other companies) did back in the day.
    Brandenberg
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    yup, one of those easy to do as a physical model thing even if your scratch building with wood and styrene sheets. 3d is easy for somethings but a PITA in others. heh.
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Hey @trekki - I have a question for you (or anyone who might know). I hadn't looked at the Chris Kuhn model you sent me for quite some time. Maybe more than 2 months. I just opened it and realized that the major model greebling is completely reversed from all the pictures I have. So now I'm left with a question as to why his model is reversed.

So my question(s) is/are
    Did he build it in reverse?
    Did the Lightwave conversion reverse it?
    Or am I the only one who doesn't know that all the photos are reversed?
    edited August 2020 #1205
    So here is another lifted wing shot with considerable work on the underbelly plating done. Having said that, I realized I have to do it over. Missed the proportions by quite a bit. It still looks more complete though, so here's a look. Other thoughts. I only have rudimentary color work done on the wings and engines as I'm still consumed with making the bridge, neck and main body accurate to the photos and I haven't tackled the plating on the upper covers between the cooling plates on the body.

o3tkai71t3ic.jpg
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Kenenth.Of.Borgpubliusr
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Hi Brandenberg,
    I don't speak English very well. Which means - Gribbling vice versa - ?

Your Object is very nice.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Maybe Lightwave is rotating the objects. I don't know anything about that. A Lightwave expert should have a look. It was originally a Blender object.
    Finally got the belly panels right. Lots of color adjustment, but more to go.

vly2fwmqx6gw.jpg
    hayv4q2puu3t.jpg
    80o5459lwowe.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180LeoBerlinKenenth.Of.BorgLizzy777Freak
    Finally got the belly panels right.

And none of those renders show them.
    edited August 2020 #1210
    And none of those renders show them.

Well the bottom isn't quite the color I want it but here is:

w5476le32cub.jpg

evil_genius_180ashleytingerLeoBerlinKenenth.Of.BorgLizzy777Freak
    Yeah, I know you said you had to fix the colors, I was joking. ;)

I'm glad you got it to the color you want, it look great.
    Brandenberg
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    That's gotta be the best BoP ever.
    Brandenberg
    :) One can kind of see the right side bottom plates on the second render. I was premature since I am only now trying to put the plate surface greebles on. I'm sure there is a better way than I do it, but it's beyond tedious to apply bent tubing to a curved surface that isn't oriented X, Y or Z.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »

After all the time I've put into this, that comment is like water to a guy lost in the desert. Thanks.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »

After all the time I've put into this, that comment is like water to a guy lost in the desert. Thanks.

Not only is it a great compliment, but it's true too. The time and effort you've put into it really shows. Everything in this thread has been great, but this is my favorite project of yours.
    Brandenberg
    Not only is it a great compliment, but it's true too. The time and effort you've put into it really shows. Everything in this thread has been great, but this is my favorite project of yours.
    Let's also say that you've been really helpful with most of the projects on this thread. B)
    qncu1zor2uq3.jpg
    LeoBerlinevil_genius_180Kenenth.Of.BorgLizzy777Freak
    It's got a nice rear end.
    Brandenberg
  • Kenenth.Of.BorgKenenth.Of.Borg63 Posts: 2Member
    A classic ride!
    Brandenberg
    It's got a nice rear end.

Hubba hubba B)
    A classic ride!

Thanks KoB
  • JasonAdankJasonAdank33 Posts: 29Member
    The level of detail is astonishing, its fabulous! If I stared at someone in public like this, Id probably get arrested. Amazing job
    Brandenberg
    Feel free to visit my now archaic Renderosity Gallery.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    qncu1zor2uq3.jpg

I take my hat of to you. Great work!
    Brandenberg
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    The colour changes you made really make it pop, Branden.
    Along with the level of detailing on its body, that really comes close to seeing them in the movies.
    Brandenberg
    Stevie_D wrote: »
    The colour changes you made really make it pop, Branden.
    Actually, we might share our first name. I picked Brandenberg out of the air probably after reading about the gate in Berlin. I've been to see it now, and it is quite a structure.

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The BOP has come along very nicely.
    Brandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I wish I had your discipline with this. Phenomenal work
    Brandenberg
    Thanks. I have a "Word" document where I record things I see in ship photos that still need to be done. It's organized by areas of the ship (Guns, Bridge, Wings, Main Hull, etc). Unfortunately, I'm adding to it faster than I am subtracting from it. :eyeroll:
    edited August 2020 #1228
    In this render, I corrected the number of groves in the inset grates on the Warp Field Controllers (those angled things just behind the cooling fins) and put in the inward curve at the bottom of the structures the grates are set in. I also redid the back opening where the engines are. Now like the original. The Warp Field controllers are also now UV mapped and painted.
    f4l5awnaaxs3.jpg
    kadenevil_genius_180LeoBerlinLizzy777
    Man, those colors look great. I hate it when people build a gorgeous BOP model and then just color it one shade of green. The details don't pop as much if you don't get all of the color variations in there.
    Brandenberg
    edited August 2020 #1230
    Man, those colors look great. I hate it when people build a gorgeous BOP model and then just color it one shade of green. The details don't pop as much if you don't get all of the color variations in there.
    As usual, I totally agree with you.
    Have there been very many BoP models done on this site? For some reason I just can't recall any. However, I admit I can forget - as you know.
    Have there been very many BoP models done on this site? For some reason I just can't recall any. However, I admit I can forget - as you know.

Not that I can recall. I was speaking of BOP models in general. I've seen some over the years where the colors aren't that accurate. Though, some of them were probably before HD images of the ship were available.
    Brandenberg