Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DShips of the Line 2021

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
edited July 2020 in Finished Work #1
As mentioned in my thread I just found out these are shipping. I try to get this up during pre-order but dunno seems they went out early this year?
Been over 7 months since I last looked at this lol. This was done way back when I was having to abandon mental ray and the version of 3ds max I was using. Anyhow

link to the calendar and thus the sample of the image.

sotl2021-web-sample.jpg

some close ups of details
sotl2021-preview-3.jpg

sotl2021-preview-2.jpg

sotl2021-preview-1.jpg

ugh damned tags and enter as submit in any field got me again so posted when this was not finished.
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.
FreakLizzy777derkxllewisniveneagledocf15
Tagged:

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I remember you making that planet.
    Another great picture.

I noticed that there are not any Kurtzman or JJ trek pictures in the calendar. do you know the reason for that? (Not that I am a fan of those designs.)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Uh at one time they were a no go. Well for the JJ trek stuff as the calendar was CBS only. As for the newer stuff likely it is preferences of someone. . . . and the fact that many probably do not have any assets for those shows yet. I stick to canon or my own stuff that is made to fit canon to a extent. These ships were a bit of a push for me. Doug seemed to like them and so I went with it.

I had planned to model one of the Discovery ships a while back but all sorts of crap got in the way and likely I would adulterate it anyhow! Well enough so that I could use it with my own assets from that time frame.

I always add little hints about what I am working on. I was inspired by the end credits in the JJ films for this one. Probably the best part of those films for me, as they were typical way out there book cover like scenes.

It is really cool to see more 2d work in there we have a cutaway and a "MSD" and of course John Eaves paintings, and one image is a composition of one of Bill Krause's models. (not sure how many of the other elements are physical)

71SgKVLz31L.jpg

Lizzy777eagledocf15
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Uh at one time they were a no go. Well for the JJ trek stuff as the calendar was CBS only. As for the newer stuff likely it is preferences of someone. . . . and the fact that many probably do not have any assets for those shows yet...

I thought it was something like that.

I am really digging those cut-out picture. Would love the get them as posters.

• ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    YES! I absolutely would love poster options of some of these.
    Well I do mine at 8k. min I think was 4 or 5k So I dunno how well some would scale if they ever thought to do that. I am guessing looking at it the cutaways might be scaleable in the original files. (vector etc)
    So far they have been centerline in the calendar so you could always de staple them to have a 24X12 mini poster. (least for the cutaway images heh)

Could probably push 36" lengthwise on 8k. Depends on the printer I guess.

Dunno if they ever plan to do another update book. They do not look to be selling as well as before. Some people still whine about the formatting. I mean it is mostly just a wall hanging vs a real usable mark-able calendar.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Awesome, i have been meaning to buy one of these calendars for years but always forget. Love the art. How did u get involved with making images for it? Sort seems like a dream come true.
    Was mentioned that Doug was opening for submissions over at Eric's forum (least I think it was or here) and I figured might as well try. That was back in 2010 given that images are submitted in nov roughly of the year prior for the following year. So 2020 summer is for 2022.

japetus
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Well congrats, you did an awesome job, very inspiring!
    @MadKoiFish did Doug ever ask if you waned to work on other projects other than the calendar, with him?

I know Douglas E. Graves (deg3d) went to work for him (at least for a shot time, I think Douglas is now working with a different FX house. I have not spoken to him in a few years so not sure.) after be introduce to Doug thought the same way you where introduced.
    japetus>
    Thanks

Freak>
    No not really.