Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Redesign 2020

124»

• publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Maybe the gangway double doors could go on the secondary hull for a change
    evil_genius_180
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Thanks guys.

I have no plans for a gangway hatch. I feel it's unnecessary when the ship will have plenty of docking ports. We saw the Enterprise-D docked at Starbase 74 with a gangway hooked up to its neck docking port in the episode 11001001.
    Freak wrote: »
    Really nice work Chris.
    Though I am not a fan on the cut outs for the airlocks. I think they need to have some sort of sliding cover on them, when not in use.

I thought about doing that, but decided against it. I've done airlocks this way before.

tos_utility_03.jpg

I figure there's no need for aerodynamics on a space ship.

But, you never know, I may still add it.
    ashleytingersrspicerBrandenbergLizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    The only reason to put a cover on those is aesthetics and an extra layer of protection for the airlock. I figure they could go either way, especially as the TMP ship has at least 5 unprotected airlocks on it.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Yeah, I just have to decide how much having the square holes in the sides of the saucer really bothers me. Right now, it's not bothering me all that much. Making doors wouldn't be particularly challenging or time consuming, but it would cover up the airlock that I spent time working on. It's not massively detailed, but it still took a little while to make.

Airlocks are weird details to do anyway. You're putting a flat object onto a curved shape. It's one of several details they didn't bother with for TOS but they did for TMP and everything that came after. (one would assume the TOS ones were behind panels)
    scifieric
    Apparently, I've been doing that style of docking port cutout longer than I thought.

sotl2012_allura01.jpg

That model is from my Truespace days. I also found this one:

ent08_beauty01.jpg

That's one of my older Enterprise redesigns. It's a fairly hideous looking model, but the saucer docking port looks interesting on it. It looks like I did the cutout much smaller, barely larger than the port itself. This "breaks up" the saucer a bit less. It also looks like my intent was still to have the port extend outward. If I redesign the door to something more like what was on the NX-01, that is something else I can do for this ship. (the advantages of doing a reboot is that you can decided what details like doors look like) The doors are a separate piece, so I can easily redo those.

Also, interesting thing to note: I did some research on docking ports on canon Star Trek ships. It's really interesting to note how many canon ships don't have them. Usually, they were models that were built in a hurry for TNG or CG models that weren't designed to be seen up close.
    BrandenbergAdam Warnockpubliusr
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I like the airlock on the old Redesign Enterprise.
    It not so much in your face like the cut-out one is.
    evil_genius_180
    Yeah, I may go with a design similar to that.
    I changed the cutout for the port from a square to a circle. I also changed the door design to one based on the docking ports on the NX-01.

enterprise_2020_wip036.jpg

enterprise_2020_wip037.jpg
    Zhor2395Hunter GLizzy777Freak
    I like both versions, but I think this one may fit with this version's aesthetics a bit more than the square
    evil_genius_180
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Definitely looks better. Nice touch with the continuity as well. What's the clearance on that furthest back phaser bank? It looks like a rather tight line of fire.
    evil_genius_180
    edited July 2020 #102
    Thank you both. :)
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    What's the clearance on that furthest back phaser bank? It looks like a rather tight line of fire.

Hm, didn't notice that. Those may have to be removed.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    scifieric
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Much Better :+1:
    evil_genius_180
    This should just about do it for the saucer section.

enterprise_2020_wip038.jpg

enterprise_2020_wip039.jpg

enterprise_2020_wip040.jpg
    BrandenbergashleytingerLizzy777Freakpubliusr
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Nice details, love it!
    evil_genius_180
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited July 2020 #106
    Oh wow. That really looks great. Interesting crossover from TV Enterprise windows to Movie Enterprise windows. I like the round better too.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    I like it, it looks tougher and more well protected than the original
    evil_genius_180
    That looks great.
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks a lot, everyone. :)

Just a couple more quick things. I decided to put the photon torpedo launchers in the saucer, since that was where the torpedoes came from in TOS. I also did something else in that general area. It's not big, we'll see if people notice. ;)

Then I went and put grid lines and windows in the neck. I may add a couple other things to the neck, but probably not much more.

enterprise_2020_wip041.jpg

enterprise_2020_wip042.jpg

enterprise_2020_wip043.jpg

enterprise_2020_wip044.jpg
    ashleytingerLizzy777FreakBrandenbergpubliusr
    I've spotted it. Subtle but definite improvement. I don't think the neck really needs anything else. It's not as though there could be much of utility in there.
    evil_genius_180
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    I don't think the neck really needs anything else. It's not as though there could be much of utility in there.

It's really just for connecting the primary and secondary hulls. The deck plans drawn up by Franz Joseph, while not canon, do make sense. They show the neck decks mostly as lounges, with some machine rooms too. They're essentially big open rooms with turboshafts in the middle and gangways and whatnot. Presumably, Jefferies tubes also run through the neck.
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    She's looking good. I guess the deflector is next?
    evil_genius_180
    It is a subtle change, but it's a nice bit of detailing that really works there
    evil_genius_180
    Thanks, both of you. :)
    She's looking good. I guess the deflector is next?

The secondary hull is next. I don't know when I'll get to the deflector specifically.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I changed the cutout for the port from a square to a circle.

If you put it in the very bow and had a window flanking it to either side, it would echo the three small dish deflectors.

I could see a dock port travel pod in the very now with a “harbor pilot” steering the whole of the ship from there.
    evil_genius_180
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited July 2020 #116
    I also did something else in that general area. It's not big, we'll see if people notice. ;)
    You put two detail (grids? or grates? - too small to see) on the 4 sensor dome extensions.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180
    They're just rectangles.