Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited July 2020 #2822
    @BlueNeumann: It's gonna get more "flashy" once more lights are in place, but it'll still be quite utilitarian given its size. :)

@Rusty0918: Indeed, I'll be replacing them with smaller, one panel doors later.

Adjusted the outer circumference a bit to better match the NX bridge size, which means the room is slightly bigger than it was before. Keep in mind the outer consoles are just there to give a sense of scale for now, I'm planning to replace them with a totally new version, to better match the NX-Class shapes.

Doing some tests for the science/tactical consoles, keeping the shape of the NX consoles but with the era correct styling. Also, as you can see there at the back, I started work on a situation table, based on the design we saw on the Enterprise-E engineering.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-03.jpg?1594533310
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerFreakBrandenberg
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like how this is shaping up. The NX bridge seems somewhat small and cramped, owing to the time the ship was launched. I feel that it's a good size for a smaller ship like the Saber class. Plus, seeing how you're taking the familiar shapes and reworking them to fit the era is really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how those outer consoles turn out.
    Rekkert
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    The NX bridge is actually the same floor plan as the Defiant bridge.
    Rekkert
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I love this already. The NX bridge was great. This one feels as though it could be an Akira or Nova bridge. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Those science/tactical consoles follow the curve of the bridge I take it? They look a little warped and cumbersome.
    Rekkert
    edited July 2020 #2826
    @evil_genius_180: Indeed, I also think its a great fit for a Saber. :)

@BolianAdmiral: Yeah, even down to the table at the back; though the NX is quite a bit bigger, and has 3 more access points. Plus the different levels make it more visually interesting, the Defiant is quite literally very flat IMO.

@Vortex5972: Thanks! Indeed, they follow along the curve of the center pit, just like those on the NX bridge did. I'm neutral to them, we'll see if my client likes them. :)

Tweaked the side consoles some more, and did a new stand for them, that correctly curves along the circumference of the central pit. I also included a small Nemesis style handrail in front of them, similar to the one they had on the NX-01.

Also, as you can see, I started work on the wall consoles. Only the central area will have LCARS, and that's already a lot for only one operator (yes, the chairs will be on a rail connecting the two consoles at each station). I'll see what sort of detail I can add on the side "ears" around the console.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-01.jpg?1594622608
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-02.jpg?1594622615
    Lizzy777Freakashleytingerevil_genius_180Brandenberg
    I really like how those consoles are shaping up. It's different than your previous work, which is really cool. I like how you can take a familiar idea and present it in a new way.
    Rekkert
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    i feel for the crewman who takes a miss step off that drop :)

I hope it's not a reflection map now, but i love the fact that you've modeled the ceiling and haven't shown it but we get the hint of it through the reflections on the console... an od thing to comment on i know but i love that little detail,..
    Rekkert
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks very much! I really want to be accurate to the NX shapes with this one, while still clearly updating the style. :)

@markmassey: Haha, there will be safety rails around the steps and drops, don't worry. ;) And yeah I'm still tweaking the ceiling, haven't shown it yet but its there.

Some more work on the Lafayette, I've integrated the new (well, new here, it's a reuse) aft section into the bridge. There will be a small rail next to the steps, and new chairs will be added to the back consoles, in a similar style as the integrated chairs from the aft of the TNG bridge.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-02.jpg?1594680161
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-03.jpg?1594680168
    rojrenashleytingerevil_genius_180BolianAdmiralFreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777Brandenberg
    I like it. The only thing that looks kinda visually awkward to me, is the steep block area on either sides of the steps. Not sure what you or the client's plan is for that.
    Rekkert
    @BolianAdmiral: There will be a small handrail there, and the last column of circuitry access panels will be removed, so that it's not blocked by said handrail. :)

Work progressing on the Columbia wall consoles. As you can see, I'm keeping it very NX inspired, with the metallic handrails and the 6 overhead lights. Will be fun to see how I'll fill it up with LCARS, I already have a couple of ideas.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-03.jpg?1594709917
    mdtaevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777Brandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    edited July 2020 #2832
    O, Nice. I am really liking the this bridge.
    I am surprised they did not do this on the Show, with the main bridge, instead always using the "Battle Bridge" set.
    Just add in some moveable wall, so there are no drastic changes to the set, that they have to spend a day setting it up and taking it down.
    Post edited by Freak on
    Rekkert
    Looks great.
    Rekkert
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I love the set design of Enterprise. The more you can incorporate the better! :)
    Rekkert
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Shouldn't this be the bridge for an Akira-class? After all, the Akira and the NX-class are quite similar!
    Rekkert
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be the bridge for an Akira-class? After all, the Akira and the NX-class are quite similar!

WHAT?! No, they're completely different. (note: extreme sarcasm)

Ah, thanks to Berman and Braga for that one. At least Doug Drexler worked hard to devolve the design and really did a fantastic job with the direction he was given.
    Rekkert
    @Freak: Thanks! Yeah, I guess they wanted to keep the Enterprise set unique to Galaxy-Class ships, or maybe thought it would be confusing to audiences given the low resolution screens; but it would've been great to see more redresses of the bridge, like for the Sutherland we mentioned before. :)

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! :)

@furswift: So do I; as controversial as the exterior is, the interior is some of my favorite from Trek, it's a perfect combination of NASA with TOS in my opinion.

@Rusty0918: Looking at it from an in-universe standpoint, IMO this bridge is way too small for an Akira. As mentioned before, this is barely larger than the Defiant bridge, and the Akira-Class is one of the largest starships we've seen from Starfleet. The Saber in contrast is almost exactly the same length as the NX (223 vs 225 meters), so it's a perfect fit. Plus, at the end of the day, my client wanted a Saber-Class bridge done in the style of the NX, so that's what I'm doing! :P

Finished laying out the steps in and out of the pit area, adding the final ones in between the wall consoles; I know these are a bit hard to see now from certain angles, but they'll be more apparent once all the blue borders are added to the carpets. I've also done the rails, in the now familiar style I'm using for the Nemesis era.

tadeo-d-oria-c0-04.jpg?1594791803
    tadeo-d-oria-c0-05.jpg?1594791811
    BolianAdmiralFreakWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
  • ora tzoora tzo68 Posts: 17Member
    edited July 2020 #2838
    I like the separated screens on the wall mounted consoles, though the handrails don't really make much sense in that it would be pretty tricky to grab them (though they aren't really needed in the first place).

defiant.jpg
    The reflective?, translucent? thingies below the light on the Defiant bridge could be something you could pinch to fill that area if you weren't keeping this NX inspired.
    Post edited by ora tzo on
    edited July 2020 #2839
    @ora tzo: Oh I agree that the handrails don't make much sense, but then again they didn't on the NX bridge as well. :p

Ironically I had thought about using that reflective material for the central horizontal line across the consoles, similar to how it was originally used on the Defiant (for just two episodes), but I just didn't like the look.

thesearch1_215.jpg

No updates this past 10 days, but not for a lack of work. I shared some of my stuff on Twitter last week and received quite a bit of attention over there, including like half a dozen requests for rather small commissions. Some were simple recolors, or bridges identical to those already made but with one panel displaying different information, stuff like that. Here are a few that were a bit more involved, while still being relatively small and quick to do:

USS Odyssey NCC-2016: This is a Monarch-Class ship, thus a new MSD and some new LCARS were done for it.
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-odyssey-2016-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1595556064
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1595556056

USS Intrepid NCC-57859: This is the main ship of the 'Star Trek: Intrepid' fan-fiction. A refit Excelsior that by the 2370's was a mishmash of technologies old and new. It's basically the Potemkin bridge, but with Defiant-style consoles for the Captain, an Enterprise-B inspired back end, and new consoles on top of the rails at each side of the Captain, among some other small changes.
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-intrepid-38957-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1595554090
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1595554049

USS Philippa Georgiou NCC-2202: an old Constellation-Class ship still in service by the 2370's. The ship's Captain is a Horta, and as such there is no Captain's chair for them to sit on, but rather a small platform in its place. The helm console right in front of the platform is modified to include a small screen for the Captain, to which the viewscreen or any other necessary information can be casted.
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-philippa-georgiou-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1595556061
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1595556038
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BolianAdmiralBrandenbergFreak
    Those all look really nice.
    Rekkert
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    amazing how just a simple thing like colour palette can really change how the ship feels...

Great work on these interiors..
    Rekkert
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    I know I've said this on different forums before, but Rekkert, you have a true talent for Star Trek interiors! I've tried my hand at it from time to time, but your work is spectacular!
    Rekkert
  • seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    One thing is really bugging me about these side consoles:

2ejliq9sqx02.png
    I've added what could be considered a comfortable reach distance for a typical Trek humanoid. Those two "wings" would require a _considerable_ lean and stretch to get to. This is why the TOS and movie sets at least up through the Enterprise B all featured curved main console areas with only extraneous stuff not typically directly interacted with living outside of that range (yes, that was actually deliberate on the part of the TOS set designers). That starts to break down a bit with the TNG era LCARS, but you'll note that the consoles are typically smaller there, so the horizontal reach is much reduced.
    ViperLizzy777Rekkert
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! :)

@markmassey: Indeed, and it's in keeping with Trek's tradition to reuse everything. :lol:

@scifieric: Thanks very much Eric, I try my best haha.

@seanr: From an ergonomics standpoint, I completely agree with your point, they are not the most comfortable of consoles. However this is a problem of trying to be faithful to the NX shapes, which my client explicitly wanted. See the console in the very same position on the NX-01, it similarly angles outwards from the user to follow the curve of the central pit (and in fact, being bigger and blockier, those keypads at the corners are even further away on these!):
    tadeo-d-oria-p533-5.jpg?1595641143
    tadeo-d-oria-eabdcmawaaildza.jpg?1595641138

This goes back to a point I made when starting work on the wall consoles in post #2826, there's just too many controls and too much space for one person to operate these on the NX bridge. This other screencap also illustrates that point, Trip is using the wall controls right next to T'Pol's station, and despite technically being her post, she couldn't be able to reach these buttons here while comfortably seated.
    tadeo-d-oria-sleeping-dogs-hd-171.jpg?1595641298

Anyway, all this to say that yes, I see your point and I agree with it, but I don't see how I can address it while also being faithful to the NX bridge shapes. If you have any ideas of how to do that, I'd be more than happy to read them. :)

Working on another small commission (have a couple more to do before going back to the Columbia and Lafayette), an Oberth-Class bridge belonging to the TNG era. The ship is the USS Hermes, which was described to me as 'very old' and 'on glorified freight duty'. The client wanted me to reproduce @Donny's USS Grissom bridge layout, but using pieces from the Potemkin engineering as to showcase the ship as... not particularly pretty.

Right now all the stations are manned as I simply copied them over, but some might shift to smaller standing consoles later down the line. I'll also include a small platform for the Captain as on the Grissom. More details are to be added at the back, near the viewscreen, and at the ceiling; but the basic idea is there.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1595642249
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1595642259
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777Brandenberg
    I see someone liked the Frontier bridge...
    Rekkert
    I like the Hermes bridge so far. It looks like you're maintaining the oval shape that they had for the Grissom.

The reach issue is probably why you saw T'Pol standing at her station a lot, rather than sitting. However, the NX was designed more as a "We're making this up as we go" sort of thing. Archer even commented in an episode that his chair wasn't all that comfortable. Trip wound up lowering it a bit and it worked better for him. That and the reach thing could possibly point to an idea that maybe taller people designed the bridge. It was fine for them, but the group of Starfleet officers who wound up actually manning the bridge weren't as tall and had more issues with it. Scott Bakula is just under 6 feet tall, and Jolene Blalock is several inches shorter. They likely would have reported on what they liked and didn't like about the layout and later bridges would have been more refined than that.
    Rekkert
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    One suggestion for this Hermes bridge in the aft section is put in an emergency hatch / airlock like what was supposedly on the Tsiolkovsy bridge.
    Rekkert
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    edited July 2020 #2848
    Rekkert, you're the most diligent bridge builder I have ever seen. What are you doing with all the bridges? All just for fun?
    Post edited by nightfever on
    BolianAdmiralRekkert
    I never noticed the oval shape of the Grissom bridge... I always thought it was a circle?
    Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    I never noticed the oval shape of the Grissom bridge... I always thought it was a circle?

The slid the helm and Captain's chair over so it was a very abbreviated set from the Enterprise bridge. Only way that works is an oval really.
    BolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Rekkert
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    For those consoles with hard to reach areas, I would separate controls from readouts - so stuff to press is close by.
    Rekkert