Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
    One way you could do the dish lighting is to add a solidify modifier to the dish and set its material to translucent BSDF. Add a cylinder behind and place a small circle mesh light or point light in it. This should create the centre glow. To get the blue outer glow add a thin cylinder with a blue emission material in the area behind the dish. You can adjust the effect by fiddling with the size, distance and brightness of the lights.

Here's two pics showing how I did it on one of my WIPs.
    u76n7ztdn43t.png
    9r6jhxy88deh.png

FreakLizzy777
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    @count23 @Coward , Thanks guys that been helpful.
    I am not going to be able to work on this today, as I have to head into work. (first time since the Lockdown start here.)

I hoping that I can work on it tomorrow and have this done by the end of the week.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Looks good. My only suggestion would be to texture/panel the pylons a little differently.
    Freak
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    She's looking outstanding, Dean. For the lighting, I'd suggest using off-white spots, rather than pure white. It creates a more authentic look.
    Freak
    Okay, before moving onto start making pictures with these girls.
    I wanted to try and recreate the lighting on the ship as seen in the movies. I have installed the lighting for saucer, Neck and the nacelles.

While it looks okay, I am not 100% happy with it in the dark. Though it does not look to bad with some environment lighting.
    I am also getting a bit of firefly with the render and I got the render sample set to 2000. Any high and I am looking at stupid time to do a render. (It took over an hour for these.)

So I am currently in two minds on dropping them.
    I also with the green on the original Enterprise and Blue on the A, I think they are a little to dark in colour so I am going to lighten them up.

angle.png

bottom.png

side.png

top.png

with-scene-lights.png

In other news, I am heading back into the office next week, which mean I can get my missing TNG Shuttle and finish modelling that Bad Boy.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    The lights on top of the saucer coming off the bridge area are a bit too close to the bridge as they're hitting the actual bridge itself instead of hitting on the hull next to it. The others look... spot on.
    Freak
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Are you using physically correct light values? Even when brightly lit with diffuse lighting as above those spot lights are still very visible which suggests to me that they're far too bright. Light values being out of whack may contribute to fireflies in some cases.
    evil_genius_180
    @lewisniven
    Sorry my knowledge is a very basic when it come to Cycles. With my break from modelling Blender has changed a lot. When I started the break there was no Cycles . (This is also being built in Blender 2.79)

Are you talking about an object with an emission on using a lamp?
    I have looked for Tutorials on how to do this, but all I keep finding is how to light a scene.
    So everything I have done has been trail and error.
    So before the Covid lockdown started I had started work on this but did not get very far.
    When the lockdown took affect here in the UK, I had left the USB stick I had it saved on in the office at work. (should have really backed this thing up instead of having it on a USB stick.)
    As I was unable to get into the office, I was unable to continue the work until now.
    This week I was asked to head in and help out which mean I got hold of the USB stick.

While I have not done anymore work on her yet, I did not post any pictures of where she was just before the lockdown.
    So here are some picture of the Type 7 shuttle.

I am going to get back to this after I have made some pic’s with the Big E, this does mean that the Oberth Class will be put on hold until I have finished this.

200707-type-7-shuttle-00.png

200707-type-7-shuttle-04.png

200707-type-7-shuttle-03.png

200707-type-7-shuttle-02.png

200707-type-7-shuttle-01.png
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180rojrenBolianAdmiral
    I've always loved this shuttle. It's a shame they couldn't do more with it before they swapped her out for the smaller one and the STV version.

It is a pain in the butt to get the lines right, but you've done an amazing job
    Freak
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Nice work on the shuttle.

As for the fireflies. I dunno how to fix that. Still, once that's been sorted, it looks like we're in for a treat. :D
    Freak
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Freak wrote: »
    @lewisniven
    Sorry my knowledge is a very basic when it come to Cycles. With my break from modelling Blender has changed a lot. When I started the break there was no Cycles . (This is also being built in Blender 2.79)

Are you talking about an object with an emission on using a lamp?
    I have looked for Tutorials on how to do this, but all I keep finding is how to light a scene.
    So everything I have done has been trail and error.

A few things to check, are you using filmic colour space in your renders? and is your exposure set to 0? If you add a sun, set to 550ish power, then bring your exposure down to -6ish you'll be in the right zone (550 is the physically correct value for the sun). Once that's in, tweak those lights to look correct.
    Freak
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Nice Type 7, it's on my "I really wanna make this one day", list.

Did you find any references for the underside? I've found a grand total of two, and they are episode screenshots. No one seems to have ever seen the studio model's underside, heh.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Regarding the fireflies, have you tried the denoising settings under Render Properties -> Sampling?
    sh652wg10bqz.png
    That screenshot is from Bforartists, but it should look more or less similar.
    Freak
    edited July 2020 #286
    I've always loved this shuttle. It's a shame they couldn't do more with it before they swapped her out for the smaller one and the STV version.

Thanks.
    I like the shuttle too, though there is no door on this. How do they get in? LOL

I think they only stopped using the set as it was too bulky to move around which is why we did not see much of it once they introduced the Type 6 shuttle.

Thanks @Adam Warnock and @count23.

No I have only found the screen and they are not that great.
    I might just do my own thing to fit with the rest of the ship.

@lewisniven I'll have to check and play around.

@seanr, this was done in Blender 2.79 and that does not have the denoising option. I think that was introduced with 2.8. But I could always open her up in 2.8 and have a play around.
    Post edited by Freak on
    ashleytinger
    Freak wrote: »

Thanks.
    I like the shuttle too, though there is no door on this. How do they get in? LOL

I think they only stopped using the set as it was too bulky to move around which is why we did not see much of it once they introduced the Type 6 shuttle.

Thanks @Adam Warnock and @count23.

No I have only found the screen and they are not that great.
    I might just do my own thing to fit with the rest of the ship.

@lewisniven I'll have to check and play around.

@seanr, this was done in Blender 2.79 and that does not have the denoising option. I think that was introduced with 2.8. But I could always open her up in 2.8 and have a play around.

The door is in the front of the shuttle right smack dab in the middle of the flight consoles. We never see it on screen operating but that's what I remember from the concept art for it.
    evil_genius_180
    @ashleytinger, O! I did not know that. I had started to cut that little indent at the back for it. It is wide enough. But seeing as it never been seen. I guess either would work.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    edited July 2020 #289
    Some interiors of the shuttle and exterior images. Probably have them all by now but a few of the int show the intended doorway with black tape >_> best shots are
    https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/type7-shuttle.htm
    TNG: Déjà Q
    &
    TNG: The Best of Both Worlds, Part II
    latter shows I think the best shot of it as a interior. Dunno if you plan to go that far with the model though.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    The problem with the hatch in the back is the impulse engine. You've got what is clearly the engine right in the middle of what could be a hatch. For obvious reasons, that's not a good idea. So, in my opinion, it makes more sense in the front.
    I guess I just swap it round. I am not far along not too. ;)
    shuttle7-inside2-bobw.jpg

Don't know if I can hotlink this or not but you can see the steps and swing up portion in between the consoles on the interior here.
    Freak
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited July 2020 #293
    The original concept sketches showcase the bottom part as a ramp, and the top part rolling into the ceiling. Probert eventually showcased a Type-7 open in a Ships of the Line painting.
    shuttle7-probert-door.jpg
    sotl11.jpg

Notice the side doors as well, the original "passenger" version of the shuttle included these at the side for the occupants of the rear compartment. They were there on the very first filming miniature used in TNG, for 'Coming of Age' (which also had a unique painting pattern).
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    Freakpubliusr
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    edited July 2020 #294
    guzeardv09vn.png
    You know, i reconciled the original sets with the studio model by replacing the "slide up" door with a flip up door instead. So the entire front compartment, all those control panels are on a door that swings up on a hinge in position where Probert intended it, and the floor/stairs at the bottom still fold down as the concept art shows. That means that's your main way in and out.

I always saw that rear impulse engine hatch as more a maintenance access way, to swap out the engine for something stronger, or to be able to get into the mechanical pats of the ship. Between the two exterior side hatches and the front ramp, i never saw a need for a rear hatch and couldn't explain why an impulse engine would be stuck on one. but as a maintenance panel,makes perfect sense.
    Post edited by count23 on
    Freak
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Thanks guys, this has been very helpful.
    Small update on this build. With heading back into the office, I am not getting a chance to work on this as much as I wanted.
    Anyway, I have decided to do a cross between what was shown on screen and Andrew Probert concept.
    I am not a fan of those big chunky navigation lights on the side or back, but with Probert concept they are imbedded into the main hull.
    So What I have done is mix the two. With the ones on the side I have them sticking out but I have streamlined the design so it follows better and not as chunky. With the rear ones I have them imbedded into the main hull and gave them a little lip so it stick out just a little but not noticeable.

The panels on the main part of the shuttle are a separate object and I am 50/50 on liking them, but they do bring it inline with the studio model. I have also left the window length the same as Probert concept as I think it looks better than the studio model.
    As I made the impluse engine hatch thingy a door, that will be reworked back to being the impluse engines. As I have now corrected the front to incorporate Probert concept design for the main door.

I have included the second hatch on top of the shuttle as they are both on Probert concept and studio model and was seen open in Season 1 Skin of Evil Episode. Though I don’t think Probert originally envisioned that as a Escape hatch.

I still need to add the RCS and details the bottom, as there is no clear view of it I might just do my own thing.
    I have also added some temporary materials to get a feeling of where that will go.

220720-type-7-shuttle-01.png

220720-type-7-shuttle-00.png
    rojrenevil_genius_180ashleytingerMadKoiFishAdam Warnock
    Looking great, Dean. I like the mix of ideas, you're picking the best stuff from both the concept and what was seen on screen.
    Freak
    What evil_genius said. Very nice work!
    Freak
    Thanks guys.
    Yeah I am really liking the look of mixing the two.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Nice work. It was a shame they weren't able to do this concept justice on the show.
    Freak
    As you can guess, being back at work. I have been busy busy busy. Which has meant that I have not done modelling in nearly three months. But this week I am came down with a cold and thought crap I got the beer bug. Luckily it not that but with my asthma, it has kicked my arse. Which means I can’t go into the office for the time being. So with a bit of free time, I have sat down and done a little work on this girl.

Impulse Engines have been added and I have done a little work on it belly. A section we really have not seen on screen, so I have done my own thing. It still needs a lot of work. I have also added the RCS thrusters. On the model and the concept drawing it does not have any in the front so I have added some there. I like the ones on the back but the front ones as that is not really working for me. Not sure what I should do as there is not a lot of space to work with.

I have also started to work on some decals. I am going with the concept drawing on their placement.

Here is where she at, at the moment. I will adding more details and decals soon.

201015-type-7-shuttle-00.png?w=1024

201015-type-7-shuttle-01.png?w=1024

201015-type-7-shuttle-03.png?w=1024

201015-type-7-shuttle-04.png?w=1024
    rojrenashleytingerLizzy777RekkertWarp Propulsion Laboratory