Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Voyager WIP

2»

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited July 2020 #32
    Enterprise-E has Aztec, or at least a patterned set of smaller panels inside the big panels, Voyager and Defiant don't. Voyager just has its main panels (the ones separated by the shield lines) painted in subtly varying shades of gray.

cjvxnoa2pazb.jpg

You can see the different shades of gray in that image, particularly on the underside photo.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Ridge
  • RidgeRidge47 Posts: 16Member
    edited July 2020 #33
    evil_genius_180 and ashleytinger. I think you guys are right. However, I've seen other people texture the ship with some kind of subtle paneling in the specular map for the hull of Voyager. (For example ALEX3D 3D model of Voyager uses some kind of paneling in his specular map).

Also, other times you can see some kind of light paneling on the ship. Maybe Aztecing is the wrong word to use.

These are some examples of what I mean.

dwt72fk2trd7.jpg
    o37ix567gbhf.jpg
    zgg4z7zem9ay.jpg
    oo6q199zr6pc.jpg

Also, one of ALEX3D's textures from his Voyager's hull specular map.

aeg00frvznla.jpg

Post edited by Ridge on
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    Another thing to remember is that, like any Star Trek hero ship, there's more than one model. In the case of Voyager, there's a physical model and at least one CGI models that existed from the beginning of the series. (the opening credit sequence is entirely CGI) Originally, I do believe the CGI model was detailed just like the physical model, probably textured using photos of the physical model. But it's possible they added smaller hull panels at some point. Or they could have been there from the beginning, I don't know. All of the images you posted except for the bottom one are of the CGI model.

As I said previously, just do it how you think it should be done. One of the biggest traps in CGI is overthinking things.
    RidgeAdam Warnock
  • RidgeRidge47 Posts: 16Member
    Evil_genius_180,

That makes since, I was just seeing if I was missing something that others on here might know :)
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Another thing to remember is that, like any Star Trek hero ship, there's more than one model. In the case of Voyager, there's a physical model and at least one CGI models that existed from the beginning of the series. (the opening credit sequence is entirely CGI) Originally, I do believe the CGI model was detailed just like the physical model, probably textured using photos of the physical model. But it's possible they added smaller hull panels at some point. Or they could have been there from the beginning, I don't know. All of the images you posted except for the bottom one are of the CGI model.

As I said previously, just do it how you think it should be done. One of the biggest traps in CGI is overthinking things.

Dang right! I know I haven't made much progress on my current project because of that. Sometimes you have to just go for it. Do whatever looks good for you and don't sweat if it's accurate or not.

Ridge
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    anyone else getting horrible babylon 5 flashbacks looking at those window shots :)

I'm assuming they had to quickly knock up higher res textures or adding more detail into the areas in shot..

I can imagine the cgi team getting a memo on a friday afternoon about them wanting a close up on an area of the ship that they were told not to worry about because we'll never see it.. calling their partners to say i won't be home till early monday...
    ashleytingerRidge