Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Galaxy Class

• trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    You make a fine mesh, great ! =)
    lewisniven
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Those neck windows do look like a pain (and some of them somewhat pointless) but you definitely did a fantastic job on them.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Man that's clean looking!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    They ended up looking great!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Looking good. Hope redoing the neck doesn't give you too many issues with getting back to this point.
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member
    edited July 2020 #247
    Oh jeez look where we are, back to no windows. When I got to the top row it became clear that the shape wasn't quite right, you can see how the row bends out quite a lot and that's not right so had no choice but to heavily rework that part, re-freeze, then stick the new neck on

w5a5a4zfc65c.png

I've added a far sharper crease where the arrow is and pinched the neck in there to make the area with windows more 'vertical'. Hopefully this is the last time I have to re-work this section.

6wzju9zaofae.png

I still have 90% of the cutters positioned so re-cutting shouldn't actually be a big deal. I did consider fudging the window placements to get round it but decided I want it to be right, I don't want to finish and constantly look at that part and egret not sorting it. That said I am mirroring my neck so the port side is completely inaccurate to the model, @MadKoiFish is doing different sides but that'd require me to separate the window area out and not have it mirrored and frankly I can't be bothered with that. I can justify it that mine is the challenger not the Enterprise maybe ;).

Post edited by lewisniven on
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakMcCBrandenbergLizzy777
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Jeez, you're a madman for being so focused on accuracy like that. Especially since the D has way too many windows lol.
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Still think those windows are a little silly, but it's looking good anyway. :D
    Your commitment to accuracy is certainly commendable.
    Your commitment to accuracy is certainly commendable.

Took the words right outa my mouth. Great stuff Lewis!
  • RidgeRidge47 Posts: 16Member
    Hey, lewisniven.

Would you mind giving a short material break down of how you've done the hull material in Blender?
    edited April 2021 #253
    Ridge wrote: »
    Hey, lewisniven.

Would you mind giving a short material break down of how you've done the hull material in Blender?

Sure;

I have a plane above the saucer that I drew all the aztecing on to, which is then UV unwrapped (top projection). I've then got a data transfer modifier in place to transfer this UV information directly down to the saucer underneath it. With the aztec all drawn I can bake the whole object out as a texture so I've got a single texture for the whole saucer top (this is baked out at 8K then shrunk to 4k so sharpen the edges up a bit).

r7i9xpa1g3mx.png.

This gives me a raw diffuse map to use which I overlay a 'dirt' texture on in photoshop just to give it a more metal/weathered look

ykmgaoq7dl53.png

Then I've set up some 'roughness filters' that I can turn on/off to get the roughness map, this includes a curve to adjust the contrast between the panels, an invert and black/white filter, this gives a roughness map:

i0f4lt8qqmk6.png

Then just plug the diffuse map in to the base colour, and the roughness in to the roughness (obvs) and that's it.

ibqna2jcdwuq.png

I don't doubt that there are better ways of doing this but this works for me and I'm happy with the result. Hope that helps.

P5ych0p4thMadKoiFishevil_genius_180McCLizzy777RidgeFreakBrandenberg
    lewisniven wrote: »
    I don't doubt that there are better ways of doing this but this works for me and I'm happy with the result. Hope that helps.

Better? No. If it works, then there's nothing better. There are just alternative ways of doing things. Personally, I've done the old draw panels in (insert software name here) and then turn that into a map method plenty of times. Then I took that into GIMP and added dirt. It's a hell of a lot easier than trying to do a map in 2D and then trying to line that up perfectly with your mesh. (yes, I've done that plenty of times too)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    You might try wrapping other things with that
  • RidgeRidge47 Posts: 16Member
    Thanks lewisniven,

That was super helpful man!
    Taken a few weeks away from this, what with work picking up again and it being biblically hot, plus just life in general. Slowly getting back in to it. The neck underwent a final remodel, and I've stuck some windows in to check I'm happy and I'm pretty sure I'm there now so that'll have to do. Onwards!

0suwkv4awi7h.png
    FreakViperWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777MadKoiFishkadenBrandenbergMcCand 1 other.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Nice man... that's a really clean looking model.. great render :) Odd thing to pick up on but for some reason i love the copper hotspots on the warp grills...
    lewisniven
  • seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    Looks great, especially love the engine materials!
    That's looking gorgeous. I love that angle for the ship.
    Yes, Gorgeous.
    edited August 2020 #262
    Thanks for all the kind comments guys. Not much progress here but here's a render anyway just for fun. It looks me longer than it should have to get the phaser strip right on the underside. Also re-worked the escape pod texture slightly but its not super noticeable.

qabyi61jn77c.png

vhozcct82mrl.png

LeoBerlinashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralBrandenbergpubliusrJasonAdankFreakMcC
    edited August 2020 #263
    Looks great. :)
    lewisniven wrote: »
    It looks me longer than it should have to get the phaser strip right on the underside.

Sometimes, it's the little details that can be the most challenging. Plus, you're going for 100% accuracy and that can't have been an easy thing to get positioned exactly right.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    One of the most beautiful meshes ever.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking good. I'd hate to be the window cleaner on that ship.
    BolianAdmirallewisnivenJasonAdank
    One of the most beautiful meshes ever.

Thanks, you're always so complimentary :)
    Nope, just tellin the truth. :3
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    edited August 2020 #268
    Edit: Ah I see a few pages before...thanks for all the breakdowns and I love your baking of the interiors they are clean and fun to see! I'll have to try that method as well!

You may have covered this earlier, but how do you do your window interiors? Are you a madman and modeled the whole interior?? Really really awesome looking D, and having so much variation in the interior really sells it.
    Post edited by japetus on
    lewisniven
    edited August 2020 #269
    I modelled up some interiors, then rendered out orthographic projections of those models. I then use those renders as the textures for a box, so my interiors are just self illuminating boxes behind the glass, but it's enough to sell the effect.

ty69v534xdos.png
    u3w0w0du1pf5.png

japetusFreakJasonAdankLizzy777evil_genius_180MadKoiFishxiaorobear
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Out of curiosity, are you doing glass with thickness or single sided faces? Seems like glass with thickness you'd have to take into account coincident faces on the window rim with the window frame. I'm guessing it's just a booleaned single side surface.
    The glass has thickness, in blender you can turn the rim on and off so it avoids that problem, although I'm not sure you would spot it at anything other than super super close range.
    japetus