Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2D & 3DAdam's Sketchbook

Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
edited July 2020 in Work in Progress #1
Current Project:
z4ztODAl.png

Original Post:
Hey y'all. I was on the site way back when I was in college, about 2008-2010-ish. I didn't do much, but since then I've pretty much dropped out of modeling altogether. Now that I'm coming up on 8 years out of college, I want to get into, and get better than I was. I think I've managed that in some respects even with the few hours of practice that I have gotten.

So, without further ado, I give you my latest doodle in polygons.
6PdZxNZl.png
hSNsk6ql.png
Jd92089l.png
Kj2jeJll.png
PfoXR8Dl.png
rzpVga1l.png

To be honest, this is probably as far as I'll be taking this one. It's mostly practice to figure out how to manipulate edgeflows. Done in Blender, Rendered in Eevee.
Post edited by Adam Warnock on
RekkertLizzy777evil_genius_180
Tagged:

• Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Some doodles done based on what @Viper said he wanted his design language to invoke. I'm gonna be honest and admit that I phoned it in on that last one. It's based off of @Daemoria 's needleships that he did some time back (Has it really been years?) and I just gave up on having it not look wonky after fixing the nose.
    Qx69JxN.png

As you can see, I am way out of practice with drawing and I hope to be fixing that as well as working on my modeling.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Your red ship reminds me a bit of the Starship Titanic. I really like what I assume is the bridge. Sort of a streamline trailer shape with a wing - very nice look, especially with the colors.
    Thanks. I'm pretty happy with how the bridge turned out. I'll probably revisit one day, but for now, it's on the shelf until I get lots better.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That red ship is really cool, it's got a nice retro vibe to it. :)
    Thanks. I think it's a bit beyond my skill at the moment, but it was a fun exercise in figuring out how edge flows work and how to manipulate them.
    Soft Capture Ring for a docking adapter based on the International Docking System Standard. Went more smoothly than I thought, If I can figure out the SCS Latch striker, then I think the rest of this will go pretty smoothly.

ye8XJOx.png
    Funny how you go to make a greeble and you go and make it way too detailed. Oh well.
    uGXaoeR.png
    Freakpubliusr
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    That looks great!

You can get lost in doing details.
    Thanks! I don't this this piece is going to get as much praise, though.
    0v2dAsA.png
    Lizzy777publiusr
    Just some things I've been working on over the weekend.
    Shipping container concept. Done mainly to illustrate what I was talking about in terms of scale.
    J4hOj1Ul.png

Sub-d modeling practice. I have come to loathe the front of the Ferrari 488 TDB Coupe.
    upQdTucl.png

And a missile I banged out in a few hours today.
    nglESqNl.png
    gh6dEqml.png

There's also a shuttle that'll never see the light of day, but that's because I went in without any plan and you can't really do that when modeling I have learned.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Those all look great, but I especially like the Ferari. Cars are something I've always wanted to do, but have yet to tackle.
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Nice. I think if you add some markings and maybe some thrusters on the nose that "vape pen" issue you mentioned would go away.
    @rojren: I probably will do that. I just wanted to get something that looked good enough to be called done.

@evil_genius_180: Oh you'd probably be saying something different if you saw the wireframe. The topology is a mess in the corners.
    evil_genius_180
    @evil_genius_180: Oh you'd probably be saying something different if you saw the wireframe. The topology is a mess in the corners.

All that really matters is the rendered result. ;) I know some of my wireframes can look like garbage, but it renders OK, so I'm happy.
    That's a fair point. Managed to drive a coworker of mine a little batty trying to explain why I thought it was a mess when it looked as good as it does.

The joys of being an artist I guess. :p
    evil_genius_180
    Yeah, mosts artists are their own worst critic.
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    I'm liking those sketches! And I agree, the models are looking good. Cars are one of the hardest to tackle topology wise.
    Yeah, mosts artists are their own worst critic.

Ain't that the truth
    Hunter G wrote: »
    I'm liking those sketches! And I agree, the models are looking good. Cars are one of the hardest to tackle topology wise.
    Thanks! I've been getting back into the hobby. And I hear ya on cars. Think I may tackle it again and make it more sci-fi when I have more of a handle on it.

So, I finally settled on a project to get going on. I figure cargo ships should get some more love since so much of the attention goes to the warships. I'm basing the model off of a LEGO ship made by Soren Roberts that you can see below:
    15040641577_69038fdaf3_c.jpgIMS The Ballad Of One-Ball Riley by [Søren], on Flickr

Here's a few renders of the sketch model I made to figure out some things.
    aZh3PrDl.png
    JzD6Jbfl.png
    wca3SD5l.png

After making these and sleeping on it, I've decided two things. First, the ship's getting flipped upside down. Second, the ship needs to get a lot smaller, about 1/3 to 1/4 the current size in that sketch (for reference, the ship is about 400-ish meters long)

The main reason for the down sizing is to allow it to use the standard cargo modules I've come up with.
    J4hOj1Ul.png

And here's my progress so far.
    z4ztODAl.png

A lot of tonight was getting things set up for this project and learning how to use the Knife Project tool in blender. I started off with the frame because I plan on rigging this to open up. And I figured that was as good a place as any. Besides, once I have the frame done, I can make variations.

And just because I don't really have anywhere else to put them, here's some more doodles that I've worked over the past few days.
    VpD8wVZl.png
    D6MeqBbl.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777publiusr
    Redid the the twistlocks and added in the frame.
    DkjlPiRl.png

And started on the panels.
    FFzuFobl.png

Next up is the doors and the pistons that actuate them, mainly because I'm not sure if I like what I have for the frame.
    Lizzy777Freakevil_genius_180
    That's looking really cool so far.
    Thanks, although it looks like I'm about to redo this again since I didn't plan this out very well.The twistlocks are pretty much where they're staying, but I hadn't planned out mating surfaces, docking adapter articulation, equipment placement, or really anything like that. On the plus side, it should look a lot better once I'm done.
    We've all had to start over at least one (though, realistically, way more than that) project due to improper planning. It happens. Usually, the work goes a lot faster the second time.
    edited July 2020 #25
    We'll I'm about to see. Been procrastinating all day. ;)

I think a part of it was I didn't account for how to make the container pressure-tight. I've also made some changes to how big it is and the system over all.

Might as well get into it here. I mean, most of us like to the in-universe logic for things, right?

The idea is that this is to space cargo what intermodal containers are to modern cargo. I'm going to be taking some liberties with the size of the container mainly because the setting this is going in is only loosely based our galaxy. I've got some interesting aliens and the like that I'll post here when I get around to doing proper designs for them, buuuut that's getting off topic.

So, the idea behind these containers was that would provide a common framework that would be useful in moving cargo and getting ad-hoc structures set up, whether they be stations, bases, temporary starports, what have you. Taking a page from my day job (I work in IT) I decided to make the containers multiple of a set dimension, like with rackmount equipment. So, the cargo containers are based off a 30m wide, 15 m deep hexagonal prism. A container that's 45 m long is referred to a 3 Cargo Unit container or a 3CU module. The beauty of the system is that you can configure it in a variety of ways and there's a large market for kits that convert these containers into habitats, cheap ships, hangers, or whatever else you could need a big, box for. A tramp freighter is just as likely to be made using a cargo container as a core of the structure as it is to care a cargo container.

Anyway, that's a rambling peek behind the curtain, I've got a lot of ideas in my head.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Thanks! I don't this this piece is going to get as much praise, though.
    0v2dAsA.png

Looks like something in the benthic depths of Europa,
    Too bad it's supposed to be a shuttle taking off. :lol:

Thanks for introducing me to a new word today.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Nice job on those, I like the ferrari too. I dont know what it is but I have a mental block against doing cars even though I've done a few and I ask myself, is a spaceship really that different? Maybe its having to do tires and hubcaps which is a pain too. Haha I dunno.
    Thanks, I think the thing with cars is that we see them all the time. It's like with people, we can tell when something's off.
    edited July 2020 #30
    Bouncing around on different things. This time was a mockup of a background idea I have for my website Which could be useful as a screen display or something. It'll be much more muted in use on the website to avoid confusing readers.
    uEElsyIl.png
    Some sketches to figure out some things and get a better feel for what I want the ship to look like.
    a3s4F7nl.png
    Lizzy777