Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBack with something new after 15 years: TMP corridor set

• seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    edited July 2020 #62
    It appears I inadvertently created the TWOK version of the materials in this attempt at tweaking them:
    id96q1any1ns.png
    FWIW, I did save those materials for reuse later. There are actually two different materials here - they're identical but with different names, allowing me to quickly swap out the wall panel material (as I did with the fabric render) without impacting the otherwise identical ceiling and turbolift alcove panels. I intend to have some fun with that down the road in terms of variations beyond the canon (for example, an idealized version of what Star Trek V's corridors should have looked like relative to the bridge set).
    Post edited by seanr on
    Freakevil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Well, who says it couldn't be for a sister ship, or perhaps a bit more into the second five-year mission?
    I'll be doing some of that sort of thing later (the first of which will be a re-imagined Star Trek V: TFF version), but I'm starting with canon materials and lighting first. TWOK obviously falls into that category, hence keeping a copy of that version of the materials off to the side.
    BTW, I am aware of the messed up deck number - already fixed (there seems to be a bug in Blender where it "loses" the custom font, so I reset it and converted to a mesh object keeping the original hidden for reuse).
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice work here.

I don't think the old movies are available for streaming at the moment. (At least in Europe.)
    You can buy to stream of Amazon, which are the HD versions. But TMP is not the Director Edition, though Robert Mayer Burnett has stated the people behind the directors cut were in talks with Paramount on getting it released in HD and possiable converted to 4k.

Be warned the HD copies are not the Directors Cuts on TWOK or TUC.
    There is a Blu-ray boxset with all the movies from 1 to 10 for £30. But as it does not included the directors cuts. I am not going to get it. Once you seen the directors cut of TUC it hard to go back and watch the theatrical cut.
    They do have a Blu Ray / 4K Director's Cut of TWOK, FYI. It's separate from the boxset.
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Freak wrote: »
    @Samurai Hey buddy long time no see, are you just lurking these days?

Yes, it's been a busy... decade? lol. Never actually left- just got bogged down with real life.

Regarding rendering and GPU's: Macs come with Intel Iris chipsets and (on certain models) AMD GPU's. I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro with an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M (8GB model) and get exactly the same error- it's Blender's lack of support for the GPU chipsets, not the chipsets inability to do it. Hard to complain when the advertised price is $0 though.
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,285Member
    Freak wrote: »
    Be warned the HD copies are not the Directors Cuts on TWOK or TUC.
    There is a Blu-ray boxset with all the movies from 1 to 10 for £30. But as it does not included the directors cuts. I am not going to get it. Once you seen the directors cut of TUC it hard to go back and watch the theatrical cut.

Oh yeah. At some point I want to use AI to bump up those director's cuts bits and make an ultimate cut of the flicks.
    Still tweaking materials. Finally fixed a material orientation issue on a number of objects (their local axes were wrong) and added the tread on the floor. I'm still trying to get the metal panels just right - much closer now, but I overdid the grain and the fresnel effect (they've been fixed now, I think, but need another full render).
    iporeg10cj6k.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Looks like they're coming along nicely.
    This is more or less print resolution; also some additional tweaks:
    bzodv9g30xoj.png
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thLizzy777
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks great, man. I really like those metal materials.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    Very nice work!
    I would very much like to see your TFF re-imagining. It would definitely be much more believable than what we saw (the TNG signage was definitely a turn-off from the thinly disguised set).
    dbqec4hgtokz.png
    DoF is a little too subtle, IMO, but damn, that looks good now. :D
    ashleytingerZhor2395Lizzy777Freak
    Got the DoF to my liking and posted the result over in finished art:

https://forums.scifi-meshes.com/discussion/10000693/star-trek-the-motion-picture-corridors/p1
    edited July 2020 #78
    qadg9oyvi8jn.png

9surfeet0cr8.png

Overhead plan now more or less matches the set layout below:

zdmvsrvzkv7g.jpg

I'll have a render from the angle of the second screenshot laer, but somehow my materials got mess up in the meantime, so trying to fix that.
    Post edited by seanr on
    RekkertFreakashleytingerevil_genius_180
    edited July 2020 #79
    I never knew all of those rooms were on the same deck. :tongue:

Seriously, I like how well your model lines up with the set plan.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    That set plan looks familiar!

Seriously though, excellent work so far!
    Oof, sorry to hear about the materials snafu. Hope fixing that doesn't take too long. Great job on this. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the set. :)
    sbe37tt83f7y.png
    This is getting very close now. The brushed metal seems to be fixed after a couple of changes. I need to adjust the floor tread material a bit (way too specular) and there are also some issues between the lighting and the amount of contrast between some of the materials.
    BrandenbergLizzy777evil_genius_180FreakRekkertMadKoiFishashleytinger
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I am loving the look of the brushed metal.
    Me too, that brushed metal really looks great.
    Yeah I agree. I think you've nailed that panel look.
    Rather than parrot what the others have said about this looking good, I'll just say that I like the floor the way you have it. Gives it that "This is the future and everything's shiny!" feel to it.
    Yeah I agree. I think you've nailed that panel look.
    Thanks - I should certainly hope so, given how many hours it took! ROFL. Here's a screenshot of the settings:
    wxp6jn9080by.png

And a new render:
    pyel5ogl3rjy.png
    Adam WarnockBrandenbergLizzy777P5ych0p4thRekkert
    edited July 2020 #88
    I see you toned the shiny floors down. ;)

It's looking good. Ready for some JJ-Flares. :p

*I'll see myself out now.*
    Post edited by Adam Warnock on
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    that is a very sexy looking corridor.... if i so say so myself.... the lighting is looking really nice...
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I was ready to say I like the shiny floors until you posted the toned-down version. It upped the realism I think. Besides, its nice to walk down the halls of your ship without wearing sunglasses. B)
    Oh wow. Yeah that is fantastic