Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSciFiEric's 2nd Pilot USS Enterprise

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    They changed so much between 2.79 and 2.80, so it's not a surprise that you haven't unlocked all of the secrets.
    scifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    They changed so much between 2.79 and 2.80, so it's not a surprise that you haven't unlocked all of the secrets.
    True. Thank you, my friend!
    Rekkert
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Late to the party, as usual. You have some really nice work here. Glad the whole pandemic hasn't run you into the ground. Hope you're staying safe.
    scifieric
    Late to the party, as usual. You have some really nice work here. Glad the whole pandemic hasn't run you into the ground. Hope you're staying safe.

Thank you, Adam Warnock! I've been busier at work than ever before. This has been the first time I've been available to work on something fun. I appreciate your kind words!
    I know it's not done yet, but I really wanted to have some fun.

WNMHGB-Enterprise-Title-01.png
    evil_genius_180RekkertFreakP5ych0p4thWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    Having fun needs no explanation. Also, it looks great.
    scifiericBrandenberg
    Just asking because I'm not sure if I trust my eyes with this one, is that a render? If so, you've done an amazing job making it look like a frame from a shoot with a plastic miniature.

Also, love the old feel of the text. Very 1960's :)
    scifieric
    edited July 2020 #39
    Having fun needs no explanation. Also, it looks great.
    Thank you, Chris! I really appreciate your encouragement!
    Just asking because I'm not sure if I trust my eyes with this one, is that a render? If so, you've done an amazing job making it look like a frame from a shoot with a plastic miniature.

Also, love the old feel of the text. Very 1960's :)
    That's about the nicest thing you can say to someone who does work in 3D. Yes, this is a render. I use Blender 3D for the ship and stars. I used Photoshop for the lettering. I'm attaching an image of my 3D setup in Blender. Thank you very much!

k28wj1yrzcqe.png
    Post edited by scifieric on
    Unfortunately ,this doesn't tell me as much as I might wish. I'm still a noob when it comes to rendering and modeling.

Still, an amazing job on the render. You did fantastic.
    scifieric
    Unfortunately ,this doesn't tell me as much as I might wish. I'm still a noob when it comes to rendering and modeling.

Still, an amazing job on the render. You did fantastic.
    Ask. I'll do my best to answer any questions.
    Will do. Just working on the modeling part at the moment.
    scifieric
    I would like to have done something more substantial today, but I have a BLISTERING headache.

I found something I have to correct. At the rear of the Engineering Hull during the first pilot, there are two rectangular windows with a round port BEHIND them, towards the shuttle bay. By the second pilot, that round port was in FRONT of the two rectangular windows.

I still have to work on the triangles under the saucer. After researching a bit, it doesn't seem like the "bumpers" were there yet. I guess that was just a Production detail.

I still need to add the lettering on the grey squares under the saucer section.

I think I will make the warp domes a little more deep red.

Of course, this is still very much a work-in-progress. Once I finish on cleaning up some of the details (like that round port aft Engineering) then I'll start on the textures. But that's going to have to wait until my head feels better.

Thank you for looking in.

All done in Blender 3D.

WNMHGB-Enterprise-016Z.png
    WNMHGB-Enterprise-017A.png
    WNMHGB-Enterprise-017C.png
    WNMHGB-Enterprise-017D.png
    WNMHGB-Enterprise-017E.png

And I always did like that shot of the Enterprise coming over Delta Vega at the end of Where No Man Has Gone Before. This is a little closer and lighter, of course.

WNMHGB-Enterprise-016TY.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakrojrenLizzy777
    It's looking great, Eric. I hope your head starts feeling better soon.
    scifieric
    It's looking great, Eric. I hope your head starts feeling better soon.

Thank you for both, Chris! You're a good guy.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Hope your head feels better and she looks fantastic
    scifieric
    Hope your head feels better and she looks fantastic

Thank you, and thank you very much! Me too.
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    Outstanding work Eric,
    scifieric
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    gmd3d wrote: »
    Outstanding work Eric,
    Thank you, my friend! You are very kind.
    She's looking good. Hope the headache's gone by now. I know that's no fun.

By the way, when did they add the balls to the ends of the nacelles?
    scifieric
    She's looking good. Hope the headache's gone by now. I know that's no fun.

By the way, when did they add the balls to the ends of the nacelles?
    Thank you for the compliment and the good wishes. Headache is slowly receding.

They added the "balls" to the back of the warp nacelles right before production. Both the 11 foot and 3 foot models got them.

If you scroll down this page to the 3 foot model section and look at the model against the sky backdrop, you can even see the outline of the balls.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Constitution_class_model_(original)
    One frame from one element of a test animation with my 2nd Pilot USS Enterprise. I'm moderately happy with how it is turning out. I may have to come up with a new method. I have a couple of ideas in mind.
    r9axkojl45zo.png
    FreakAdam Warnockevil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Why are the panels on the bottom of the secondary hull glowing in this image? My understanding is those are just painted areas, like access panels, so they should have the same diffuse material as the rest of the hull: http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/1x03/wherenomanhasgone416.jpg

Other than that, this is looking absolutely amazing.
    scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    seanr wrote: »
    Why are the panels on the bottom of the secondary hull glowing in this image? My understanding is those are just painted areas, like access panels, so they should have the same diffuse material as the rest of the hull: http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/1x03/wherenomanhasgone416.jpg

Looks to me like it's just the lighting. There's a similar effect on the saucer with the lighting. Unless I'm missing what you're talking about?
    scifieric
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    They appear have a flat luminance value while the hull right around them is clearly affected by the lighting.
    scifieric

Hello seanr!

They don't actually glow. They are just painted. I actually saw the 11 foot model of the Enterprise in the Smithsonian when it was first put on display and I was astounded by those panels! I could tone them down, but I probably won't. Here's my thoughts on the matter.

They darkened that area of the ship considerably to hide the post the 11 foot model was sitting upon, and I'm guessing that's why we rarely (if ever) saw those panels.

I could tone them down, but I have an odd goal. I would like to recreate the look of the original ... minus the errors for effects. I lump the darkened lower Engineering hull into the "mistakes" category. So, I guess, personal choice.

Thanks for the interesting question and the very nice compliments!
    Looks to me like it's just the lighting. There's a similar effect on the saucer with the lighting. Unless I'm missing what you're talking about?
    I believe you to be correct!
    They appear have a flat luminance value while the hull right around them is clearly affected by the lighting.
    You can see the panels here where I try to imitate a near-final shot from Where No Man Has Gone Before. The Enterprise comes over the top of Delta Vega. I've make the image substantially dark, though, perhaps not as dark as the original. But because I'm not hiding the lower Engineering hull, you can still see the panels!
    0eh1uv6c0y5c.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    I need more trial and error on this in Blender. The "film grain" didn't turn out how I wanted. I may have to go back to using Photoshop for this.

PassFrontIntroAwithStars001A.png
    P5ych0p4thLizzy777
    Are you using the compositing nodes for this?
    scifieric
    Are you using the compositing nodes for this?
    Yes, of course!
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    scifieric wrote: »
    I need more trial and error on this in Blender. The "film grain" didn't turn out how I wanted. I may have to go back to using Photoshop for this.

It might be a little grainy, but it's not like, that's unrealistic ... looks awesome nontheless!

scifieric
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    scifieric wrote: »

It might be a little grainy, but it's not like, that's unrealistic ... looks awesome nontheless!
    Thank you! That is very kind of you, P5ych0p4th!