Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    Started breaking up the central pillars lastnight. Wish I could ro0tate projections for uvw in max so I can roll the windows across the tube. Vs randomly adjusting the projection in X then reverting it to Z and hoping the guess of movement was right (hint it never is) Tempted to detach areas and rotate them but then the plain hull texture wont line up. bleh.
    up-station-0028.jpg
    FreakLizzy777commandersozoBrandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    That is looking super great. I like the window pattern on the extensions. I look forward to seeing how you handle the (currently black) areas that appear to have huge windows or at least something lit.
    Yeah I was kinda waiting to hear back from Doug on that as I have no idea WTF they are. They sorta remind me of those light panels or whatever they are on the TMP dock but then again what purpose would that serve facing out on a station??

Things I am guessing they might be
    1 large open cargo bays
    2 tractor emitter systems to positioning all the drydocks or ship parts
    3 large windows
    4 emitters for a massive replication system or bays for parts replication.

Each of these ideas have pros cons or arguments for or against. EG if it is a replicator bay why all over the station?

Redid all the pillar windows and least the banding so it is all now set to map 1 and map2 in uvw. So least the hull texture spans over it as one map while the windows are on a different uvw. Will be great fun when I get around to merging all those pillars as a single object. Though I am tempted to leave them as is. Time to set up and redo the larger dumbbells.

up-station-0032.jpg
    up-station-0033.jpg
    RekkertFreakpubliusrLizzy777commandersozoBrandenberg
    edited June 2020 #1895
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Will be great fun when I get around to merging all those pillars as a single object. Though I am tempted to leave them as is. Time to set up and redo the larger dumbbells.

I did that to mine too. The four pillar version. :p
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Upper windows. I could not match the origi9nals as they were a lot smaller than elsewhere on the model. Even now it is a push to get a deck between each one. Also all the work to come might bork up windows as the original clearly textures all detail with the windows mapped on as a separate mat ID. I am just not sure I want to map all the hull details nor get into multi ID maps.
    up-station-0034.jpg
    up-station-0035.jpg
    Also adjusted the lower domes for scale vs appearance. Some of the scale things on the domed parts has me considering scaling things up some. This way it justifies those tighter window arrangements on the main and 4 smaller domes. But then most of all the other elements like landing platforms and phasers will go off scale. Not a real loss though.
    FreakLizzy777Brandenberg
    Ok messed with the window textures as well as hull texture to introduce a light aztec patterning. Also cut in all the horz panel lines and roughed in red patterns and corrected some window locations.
    up-station-0041.jpg
    up-station-0041.jpg

The vertical cuts are going to be the nightmares as they likely will cross center lines something I try to avoid on my own work but almost all canon source place panel breaks on the 90s. X and Y long a saucer or domes axis. I try to place mine on odds so I do not have centerline panels as they add a annoying amount of tiny or oblique edges all along the mirrored or symmetryed mesh. Oh well. I might be able to fudge it. Other thing is zapping windows off of areas those cross as the windows just go where they land as well, they are textures. >_> I am tempted to brick lay the panels instead as it helps break them up but again not often done in trek.

I should be getting those bay doors in soon but I dunno what they say something?DOME 173 So likely Ill just leave em blank for now.
    ashleytingerLizzy777BrandenbergFreak
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Yeah, certainly SOMETHING 173. Either they should all have an individual number, or they repeat the station's ID in each door.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Did a few of the verticals and then quartered the mesh for doing the bays. And YES, all the uvw work is flushed for now and will need redoing but I expected to deal with that.

Bay doors are in and i do not care they are too wide wasted all damn day with this crap. build undo build undo.

keep in mind the dome is now in quads so there will be strange uvw crap going on and materials crap going on. It is basicly quartered on the 45 and symmetry on the bay doors so it is 2 objects atm. The red vertical line down one of the edges though causes smoothing artifacts a reason I avoid placing panel lines on X Y or Z as it causes all sorts of ugly smoothing artifacts. If I had thought of it I would have planned a odd number iteration for the dome but that lends to annoyances of symmetry or cutting a mesh up to do things once vs 4 times. BUT with that said I might just split that red line or offset it by a polygon. Or do something else just to avoid that ugliness. Texturing is not a option as I do not want huge 4k+ textures on this or unique textures.
    up-station-0047.jpg
    up-station-0048.jpg

I also did the doors as a curve vs flat faced. I might change this but it just looked better having them curved so having less cutout in the hull. What it wont work with is if the door rolls up or down. Though if it just drops as a solid it would work. That or roll or fold up to the left and right.
    FreakLizzy777Brandenberg
    Ok, narrower and the shitty Danube can still fit in it, even sideways for whatever hell reason they would want to. Kinda surprised at how the shitty bump maps hold up.
    up-station-0049.jpg
    FreakLizzy777Brandenberg
    Some details. That hull panel wont wrap into it when done but I will set things up to socket the doors into the plating. Also thinking of a way to manage the red lines so they just do not end like they do.

up-station-0051.jpg
    up-station-0052.jpg
    up-station-0053.jpg
    BrandenbergFreakashleytingerLizzy777
    You're making me want to fix mine up.
    A few posts up, you talked about scale. I don't know why but it seems to me like your shuttle and runnabout should be about 30% smaller, relative to the station. I picture those windows as nearly floor to ceiling in height.

Pads for the runabouts or whatever, grids on the domes and undersides.

up-station-0059.jpg

up-station-0060.jpg

up-station-0061.jpg

up-station-0062.jpg
    BrandenbergashleytingerFreakLizzy777
    Lower platform ring and clamps.
    up-station-0066.jpg

up-station-0067.jpg
    ashleytingerrojrenBrandenbergLizzy777Freak
    I am loving your work on this (as usual). :+1: :+1:
    More small bits and bobs on the same area.
    up-station-0072.jpg

up-station-0073.jpg
    FreakLoopholeLizzy777Brandenberg
    that last image was a bit crap. Intent was to show things on the bottom. so a better image.
    up-station-0074.jpg
    FreakashleytingerLoopholeLizzy777publiusrBrandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    She coming together really nicely.
    Are you going to add more details to central "Spine"?
    Some more small details. Also toying with a X over walkway instead of that large box thing for visual fun and maybe something a bit different for the people inside. What I do have isn't working I am thinking something a bit more curved and less centrally boxy now that I see it as a render. Idea would be a central lounge with a turbolift for the decks in the struts. Room enough for 4 but figure 2 or 3 and the rest power and structural bits.

up-station-0075.jpg
    up-station-0076.jpg

I probably should give this a rest and get back to the D.
    ashleytingerP5ych0p4thBrandenbergFreakLizzy777
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Dang... I never really liked that station, it just felt so bland and underdeveloped. Your take on it is very nice.
    Love the crossover walkway concept. Great idea!
    edited July 2020 #1912
    Ok sorry no update but more of a question to anyone who might know if shots of the D are flipped or not. Casual glance of "right sides" makes it fairly obvious that the generations paint obliterated many windows. Looking at UGH varied angled shots of left and right does show a asymmetry in the window layout. Though a quick glance it looks like the same "pattern with various windows omitted.

NOW THE QUESTIONS

Anyone have a clearer view in HD of the Ds left and right sides of the larger model from TV. One I have is OK but not the best as the "lit" windows are not fully matched and I only have the right side in all of my refs. But most definetly a clear as below shot of the left side. Even the generations model all those shots are in shadow and grainy so I cannot see the surfacing of the model to guess what is where or could have been.
    best shot I have of the left side. but it is post generations so meh.
    https://madkoifish.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/img_2021.jpg
    What bothers me is often you can see the ghosts of painted over windows but I cannot in any of the various shots of the neck. Well not ALL OF THEM you can actually see one that looks like it still has masking tape over it. Mainly I refer to the third row from the bottom starting with the torp launcher inset. That row of 4 with 2 spaced out tall windows Then another pair further down. In the generations model those 4 in a set plus the spaced ones are gone as well as anything leading forward of that, cap ref is too obscured with glare to clearly know if it is panels or has any windows there.

ent-d-neck.jpg
    better ref should have used this instead. . . .

k3ca7o9bqdqf.jpg

Given it is July already I am about of give up on accurizing this to the TV series and just get on with modeling to what I have for refs as all this research slows things to a crawl.

Also thinking about it I should maybe post this in what your doing instead as I am not getting many views here. Anyhow Ill let this stew while i look around. . . . .
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Oh ok I have a soso shot of the left side of the generations one, apparently one guy hit it with flash so I can see the surfacing enough to pick out ex-windows, least some of them. Still unsure of how windows have vanished on the tv vs film repaint unless someone really went in and puttied them up and sanded them. So if they did that on the left side too I still need a TV era ref of this side.

eddsc07370.jpg
    Interesting is this side does not have the short wide windows of the right side. What I am hoping is they used a full template then randomly selected windows to not include. Meaning I could cut in a full set then selectively remove windows. Much faster than doing them as separate sides.
    Oh, again forgot to add these from a few days ago.
    up-station-0077.jpg

up-station-0078.jpg
    FreakLizzy777
    Said I wasn't gonna but really it probably took as long as it would have to set up a clone mat and new maps to fake it. Central area will have a lift to bridge the rooms and that disc lounge. Least near the junction as there is a lot of open space there. Inner halls have no windows as I figure it just looks at the strut. BUT maybe the inner bend would allow you to look into the adjoining hall? oh well.

Ok stopped these early so they have some noise but it gets the idea across.
    up-station-0080.jpg
    up-station-0081.jpg
    ashleytingerP5ych0p4thFreaklewisnivenRekkertBrandenbergLizzy777
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Loving those cross walks.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited July 2020 #1917
    Here's a reference of the left side of the neck from Farpoint, seems there were only a couple of windows there, not as much as on the other side.
    tng1_energized_026.jpg

Also, in one of the matte paintings, Probert added an entirely new row of bigger windows there:
    tng1_stardaterevisited3_187.jpg

And what's more puzzling, in one of the blu-ray extras they showcase how they compose ship shots, and the neck can clearly be seen without these windows already:
    tng1_stardaterevisited3_105.jpg
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    The windows on the neck of this thing (1701 D) are depressing. The sizes vary and the floors are clearly not level.

I like the redesign of the crossovers.
    That last one is odd, not to mention the light noise where those 6 windows were. Maybe someone disliked them and had them covered over? I also w wonder where this is from and when as there are loads of details missing from the ship. Pencil grids, decals etc. Makes me suspect it is a post tv shot or something prior to pilot filming. Have to see if I can find the docu video this came from.

Least this way I can verify if the generations repaint has axed any windows or not and go from there.
    Thanks for the caps.

Most of the windows at a glance are ok it is just those upper ones and all the silly angled or triangular ones and the strange square ones on the right side. One that make no sense as looked at as a interior space. All the good old days of sticking stenciled objects on a multi angled hull. Some ways it is easier then vs now but far easier to get them aligned now vs then. Give or take lol.
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Said I wasn't gonna but really it probably took as long as it would have to set up a clone mat and new maps to fake it. Central area will have a lift to bridge the rooms and that disc lounge. Least near the junction as there is a lot of open space there. Inner halls have no windows as I figure it just looks at the strut. BUT maybe the inner bend would allow you to look into the adjoining hall? oh well.
    May I suggest the bottom level be used for turbolift and jeffries tube passage? Then it could have some significant external differentiation from the top level - more uncovered pipes and industrial looking type stuff on the bottom one with the top one being "Starfleet Clean".
    Ok I keep finding things changing from season to season scene to scene so I decided to give them a break and model in the observation disc in the cross bridge area. Maybe I should stick some furniture in there but meh doubt I will get close enough for that. Also pretend there is a helix like stairwell wrapping around the central lift tube.
    up-station-0084.jpg

seanr wrote: »
    May I suggest the bottom level be used for turbolift and jeffries tube passage? Then it could have some significant external differentiation from the top level - more uncovered pipes and industrial looking type stuff on the bottom one with the top one being "Starfleet Clean".

Interesting idea I could have it bisect the lower tube and form a H instead of the X. ATM the upper and lower are just symmetry modifiers. As mentioned above though I wont likely be getting close enough in any renders to see much more than basic strut bracing so I dunno how much tubing etc it would retain.

Here is a pull out render to give an idea of scale.

up-station-0085.jpg
    Working on a cross beam atm with a tiny hallway for all those poor engineers to crawl through.
    FreakLizzy777