Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2D & 3DVarious Star Trek Things

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very nice!
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    Very cool!
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    ^Thanks!^

Made some progress. No I haven't shaded the model smooth yet, I find it easier to work without it. It's fairly high resolution though so it looks pretty smooth anyway:
    zUYa78A.png
    gMIGrIT.png
    Rekkertevil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777McCFreakRory1707Soul Scream
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Love the aesthetic you're going with, and those recessed panels (weapon emplacements?) at the bottom of the saucer are a very cool detail.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited June 2020 #126
    Looks great so far.
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Made some progress. No I haven't shaded the model smooth yet, I find it easier to work without it. It's fairly high resolution though so it looks pretty smooth anyway:

I found that to be less of an issue with Blender 2.8 than with previous versions. The render engine seems to automatically make the adjustment. I noticed this when I imported some Lightwave meshes.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    edited June 2020 #127
    Looks great so far.
    I found that to be less of an issue with Blender 2.8 than with previous versions. The render engine seems to automatically make the adjustment. I noticed this when I imported some Lightwave meshes.
    Yeah, I think it does do a better job of smoothing. It also helps that the model is very high poly.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Love the aesthetic you're going with, and those recessed panels (weapon emplacements?) at the bottom of the saucer are a very cool detail.
    You are correct! I started on the command deck/sensor dome, but you can see here my intention for the weapons:
    pnMoNth.jpg
    As you can see the launchers will have doors that open up, then the torpedo is released. The panel in the center is like a magazine of torpedoes that can slide out. It goes all the way to the bottom of the saucer. The two panels on the sides of the command deck are the phasers. They also will have doors that open up so the turrets can raise up. It's the same on the bottom obviously. This will be the same placement I'll use on the Connie and most other ships.

Post edited by Hunter G on
    ashleytingerLizzy777scifiericRory1707Soul Scream
    edited June 2020 #128
    So my parents recently found a box with some old doodles of mine, and I decided to work on one idea again. When I was 12 I started trying to design a hero ship, as if I was making a new Star Trek series. It went from Exeter class to Destiny class, but since that's a little cheesy now I'm calling it the Inceptor class.

Just for fun here are some of the old doodles, to show the progression:
    PEXkWNq.jpg
    I remember I was obsessed with creating the perfect ship lol. I think I finally did a satisfactory job. Here's the new version:
    5K6xuNz.png
    rojrenRekkertLizzy777Brandenbergevil_genius_180lewisnivenFreakpubliusrMadKoiFishRidgeand 6 others.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Man when Probert or Eaves eventually retire, they should hire you. Or maybe they just should anyway.
    raztovscifieric
    I love that ship. I hope you make it in 3D.
    Man when Probert or Eaves eventually retire, they should hire you. Or maybe they just should anyway.

No doubt. In fact, you style reminds me a lot of John Eaves. Since I love his work, that's a compliment. :)
    scifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I love that new design and your overhaul of the Galaxy. Good stuff!
    scifieric
    Your style reminds me a lot of John Eaves. Since I love his work, that's a compliment. :)
    Agreed - every time I see an Eaves drawing I hit my brakes and take a look.
    scifieric
    Love the design, but not a fan of the direction of the pylons.
    With them facing forward, it has "the Chicken Leg" profile. This the main reason why Eaves swapped it round on the E
    scifieric
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Freak wrote: »
    With them facing forward, it has "the Chicken Leg" profile. This the main reason why Eaves swapped it round on the E

I remember reading about that. The "Turkeyprise" design.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Really dig that design, it gives you a sense that there's some new engineering going on under the hood, the way that EVs look different than regular cars.
  • slybrarianslybrarian68 Posts: 49Member
    Very impressive!
  • RidgeRidge47 Posts: 16Member
    I'm loving the design of the Inceptor class and the modern Galaxy class. Great work!
    No doubt. In fact, you style reminds me a lot of John Eaves. Since I love his work, that's a compliment. :)
    Agreed - every time I see an Eaves drawing I hit my brakes and take a look.
    That is quite the compliment, and I'll take it!
    slybrarian wrote: »
    Very impressive!
    Ridge wrote: »
    I'm loving the design of the Inceptor class and the modern Galaxy class. Great work!
    I love that new design and your overhaul of the Galaxy. Good stuff!
    Goor to hear!
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    I remember that haha! Though I still don't see it to be honest. I actually tried it both ways and decided I liked them forward.
    Really dig that design, it gives you a sense that there's some new engineering going on under the hood, the way that EVs look different than regular cars.
    That is the idea! I'm intending it to have the first successful transwarp drive.

Lizzy777
    Some detail work on the Saladin. I think I'm driving myself crazy with overthinking while I model, but somehow I manage
    1yQPoMe.png
    Lizzy777Freakevil_genius_180eagledocf15Rory1707Soul Scream
    edited July 2020 #140
    I remember that haha! Though I still don't see it to be honest. I actually tried it both ways and decided I liked them forward.
    Yeah, I never did get the turkey thing either. I was thinking it was an early design for Voyager where that comment was made but maybe I am wrong.
    Truthfully, it is rare that a ship looks amazing from every angle.

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Yeah, I never did get the turkey thing either. I was thinking it was an early design for Voyager where that comment was made but maybe I am wrong.
    Truthfully, it is rare that a ship looks amazing from every angle.
    True! I think the least important "angles" are the orthographic views. And I almost forgot, I made up a quick model of the Inceptor that might give a better idea of how the shapes look in 3d:
    https://i.imgur.com/5kCLUGU.mp4
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I think your design manages to get around any poultry-related issues.
  • prisoner881prisoner881336 Posts: 30Member
    It's been a while since I've posted! I finally got to work on some ideas that have been floating around in my head.

Science ship
    1LzPXey.jpg

Battlecruiser
    dnwYjqY.jpg

Possible redesign for the D
    qKcsbUP.jpg

I've got more in the works as well. I've started blocking out some concepts in Blender, mostly just to get the ideas out and figure out the basic shapes. I'll be posting those later.

I absolutely love the Galaxy redesign! Any chance of getting some orthos or other drawings that we could use to do a mesh?
    scifiericRory1707Soul Scream
    edited July 2020 #144
    rojren wrote: »
    I got a good laugh out of your wording here. Thanks.

On another note. Hunter, what are you using to do these images? Watercolors or...?
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777 wrote: »

Well it your design, so you can do what you want.
    Forwards or back, it still looks cool.

The details on the Saladin are looking nice.
    rojren wrote: »
    "Poultry-related issues" haha, that made my day!
    On another note. Hunter, what are you using to do these images? Watercolors or...?
    They are pencil sketches I scanned in and spruced up in Photoshop. Mostly an overlay layer to darken the shadows and a screen layer for the glowing bits. I also paint over and add some filters here and there.
    The details on the Saladin are looking nice.
    Thanks. Who knows when I'll get back to it. I have a million ideas for a million ships floating around and I keep distracting myself going from one to the next lol.
    Well it your design, so you can do what you want.
    Forwards or back, it still looks cool.
    That is true!
    scifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Oh man, I absolutely LOVE your various designs! Well done!
    publiusr
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Cool stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing more. I remember doodling on my homework and worksheets too, though none of them ever looked like yours did.
    edited July 2020 #150
    Well thank you! I've been a little stuck lately as far as new ideas go, but in the meantime I decided to spruce up all my existing concept models to make them a little more presentable. I added windows and decals, and also messed with the proportions and scale of the Shepard to make it closer to the original. I guess it proves the usefulness of these models as being easy to tweak, so I can really nail down what I want.
    eSPCQab.png
    3s63gLW.png
    EaTmyxI.png
    ayrTecJ.png
    PIXcAZy.png
    zkSH0dG.png
    3BkgXiV.png
    FEAGXQv.png
    zfL5a9X.png
    wj56yxi.png
    evil_genius_180srspicerLizzy777FreakP5ych0p4theagledocf15Rory1707Soul Scream
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Love how these all look, though the Shepard's "light rows" intersecting the name and registry on top of the saucer still looks odd to me. It's there on the original obviously, it's just something of the new ships aesthetic I'm not too fond of.
    Great work on these though, love how the Shepard looks from the bottom.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio