Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Patton

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's really cool. There's something about replica props in CGI that I really like.
    shaved_ape
  • shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    Well red is generally the choice of color to depict a fire suppression device, but according to the reference photos I found, they were painted yellow. I suppose an argument can be made for either color, but back when I was young, extinguishers weren't even painted...just left as bare stainless steel.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Your work looks so real. Impressive.
    shaved_ape
    Your work looks so real. Impressive.

Thanks!

I have to admit though, that a lot of it, comes from the power of Vray. Of course, the lighting setup and other render settings are of my own creation, with a LOT of practice. =)
    Wow, two months have passed, sorry for disappearing. A lot's been going on , on my end, haven't had a lot of time for "fun". I did however, take some time to go back to basics, so to speak. I realized that complex scenes get incredibly difficult to produce, not to mention the heavy load on the old rig. I'm putting that pipe dream aside to focus more on smaller projects, like the following, which yes I know, this has been seen before, but with my concentration on rendering, lighting, camera setups and such, I thought it fitting to re-publish this as a starting point. Going forward, I'll be producing more equipment, furniture and things related to not only my ship but the Trek world as a whole, at least anything I know I can put out that is relatively satisfactory. If there is interest, I'd be happy to distribute my works to anyone who can use what I create, after all, this is a community, and I'm more than willing to share, as long as proper credit is given.

I've been dabbling a bit with Autodesk Fusion 360 a lot more now, realizing that it is better suited for the work side of my 3D modelling, as well as finding out that my wings will get clipped soon enough with Sketchup, forcing all perpetual license owners to pony up more cash for a subscription, which bites the big one, in my opinion.

Anyways, enjoy and if anyone has requests, feel free to reach out. :)

nt0vsf93cjlx.png
    BrandenbergrojrenBolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777lewisnivenRory1707
    He's baaaaaaack. Ok that table just gives me chills.
    shaved_ape
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Having the plan of the ship on the pool table is a great idea. It would make for some great animations showing power flow, battle damage, etc.
    shaved_ape
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    He's baaaaaaack. Ok that table just gives me chills.

I just had a flashback to what you said:

B)

Curious, why does the table give you chills? I don't quite know if it's creepy chills or not.
    evil_genius_180
    furswift wrote: »
    Having the plan of the ship on the pool table is a great idea. It would make for some great animations showing power flow, battle damage, etc.

If I had the means, that would be icing on the proverbial cake, but alas, my abilities aren't THAT good. lol
    Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • JasonAdankJasonAdank33 Posts: 29Member
    wow these interiors are really well done, I hope you dont pack it on on this engr set, its coming along so nicely!
    shaved_ape
    Feel free to visit my now archaic Renderosity Gallery.
    JasonAdank wrote: »
    wow these interiors are really well done, I hope you dont pack it on on this engr set, its coming along so nicely!

I appreciate the sentiment, but I have to be realistic and unfortunately, what I've been able to do, is all I can do right now. I won't pack it up forever, but right now, it just isn't in the cards.
    edited August 2020 #133
    shaved_ape wrote: »
    Curious, why does the table give you chills? I don't quite know if it's creepy chills or not.
    I meant, it was well done to the point of inspiring. But I see your point. Maybe shouldn't use that phrase in the future.

Perhaps I should add. I have seen the pool table used on 1701 D at an exhibit in Riverside California. Have pictures. It's nice, but pre high definition TV nice, if you get my point.

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    I meant, it was well done to the point of inspiring. But I see your point. Maybe shouldn't use that phrase in the future.

No worries, I figured you weren't being condescending. :)

Inspiring huh? Well I appreciate that very much. To be honest, if my work does "inspire" such inspiration, then it can only help the community. :3
    edited August 2020 #135
    Great to see you back at it. I love the pool table, especially the materials for the top.

I've been in the position before where I was using a computer that was older and just couldn't handle the big scenes, so I can relate. It sucks, but it's good to see you haven't given up on CGI.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    shaved_ape
    Great to see you back at it. I love the pool table, especially the materials for the top.

I've been in the position before where I was using a computer that was older and just couldn't handle the big scenes, so I can relate. It sucks, but it's good to see you haven't given up on CGI.

I doubt I'll ever give up, although the notion did cross my mind recently. My creative mind is too strong to give up. :)
    evil_genius_180
  • seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    This is superb especially the materials and lighting, however I strongly suggest you bevel the edges of the bulkheads, etc, even if they are intended to be sharp - the sharpest edge will always have a bare minimum of a millimeter of rounding to it even just from paint, etc. The bulkhead edges, especially the outer edges, could be at least a centimeter - maybe two for the outer edges and half a centimeter for the inside edges. Frankly, even the sharpest metal objects will have at least a fraction of a millimeter, though you'd be forgiven for skipping those. Trust me, that stuff makes a huge difference in how light catches on surfaces and thus the overall realism of the set. =)

Designwise also, this is absolutely fantastic - remarkably similar, in fact, to what I had in mind for the Excelsior, in fact (yes, I do have one bouncing around in my head).

One minor nit: while it is absolutely necessary to have a metal "something" where the blast door meets the floor, a grate makes no sense there. Realistically, it would be a flat strip all the way across with a slight sunken inset that the door slots into. Grating on either side would make sense, but remember the door is about containment so that connection itself would form an airtight seal. Grating on either side would be part of an emergency ventilation system, presumably (you'd want to immediately evacuate the atmosphere of the closed off space in the event of fire or noxious gases, while the exterior, uncontained area would be trying to completely recycle the entire volume of air in that space within a handful of seconds). BTW, fun fact: a New York City subway car replaces the entire internal volume of air every three minutes and twenty seconds on average. If you've ever taken the subway, you'll note that is barely even felt by passengers, so you can actually move a ton of air very quickly without causing unmanageable gusts. ;)
    BolianAdmiral
    edited August 2020 #138
    trekki wrote: »
    Very nice your fire extinguisher.
    I prefer red to the fire extinguisher, ;)
    FWIW, this is actually a pretty faithful reproduction of the TWOK extinguishers. :)
    Post edited by seanr on
    shaved_ape
    seanr wrote: »
    trekki wrote: »
    Very nice your fire extinguisher.
    I prefer red to the fire extinguisher, ;)
    FWIW, this is actually a pretty faithful reproduction of the TWOK extinguishers. :)

And that is exactly what I patterned my model after. I scoured the net, looking for references photos, and all I found were a couple of shots, taken from TWOK, as well as production photos for the auctioned item. I'd seen others' versions of a fire extinguisher, but then seemed either too big or not quite right, but I believe the model I created is about as faithful to the era as possible.
    production photos for the auctioned item
    Got a link? I've got some photos that were posted by DVersiga84 on Flickr, but wondering if you've got any additional ones.
    This is superb especially the materials and lighting, however I strongly suggest you bevel the edges of the bulkheads, etc, even if they are intended to be sharp - the sharpest edge will always have a bare minimum of a millimeter of rounding to it even just from paint, etc. The bulkhead edges, especially the outer edges, could be at least a centimeter - maybe two for the outer edges and half a centimeter for the inside edges. Frankly, even the sharpest metal objects will have at least a fraction of a millimeter, though you'd be forgiven for skipping those. Trust me, that stuff makes a huge difference in how light catches on surfaces and thus the overall realism of the set. =)

Designwise also, this is absolutely fantastic - remarkably similar, in fact, to what I had in mind for the Excelsior, in fact (yes, I do have one bouncing around in my head).

One minor nit: while it is absolutely necessary to have a metal "something" where the blast door meets the floor, a grate makes no sense there. Realistically, it would be a flat strip all the way across with a slight sunken inset that the door slots into. Grating on either side would make sense, but remember the door is about containment so that connection itself would form an airtight seal. Grating on either side would be part of an emergency ventilation system, presumably (you'd want to immediately evacuate the atmosphere of the closed off space in the event of fire or noxious gases, while the exterior, uncontained area would be trying to completely recycle the entire volume of air in that space within a handful of seconds). BTW, fun fact: a New York City subway car replaces the entire internal volume of air every three minutes and twenty seconds on average. If you've ever taken the subway, you'll note that is barely even felt by passengers, so you can actually move a ton of air very quickly without causing unmanageable gusts. ;)

Thanks for the input, and yes, I would typically be more picky with my geometry, but with regards to one of my recent posts, elaborate scenes aren't something I can continue with, due to the fact that the more complex the geometry, the bigger the file and thusly, more issues when rendering.

I never considered the engineering model complete, by any means. In fact, before I threw in the towel, so to speak, on working further on this model, I started a radical redesign of a good portion of the compartment, so with that said, this design is still subject to change. Rounded edges are generally the norm (I do a lot of fabrication design for the company I work for), so taking into consideration, the general formwork design, drafts, edge rounding, etc., in SU, the more complex geometry is developed, it inflates the file. I'm still no expert at SU, by any means, and there may be ways around the issue I have.

I get what you are saying about grating beneath the blast door, but in my design, there is a slight inset in the floor (difficult to see), but the black "strip" you see, is part of a magnetic lock, to maintain a seal. This was a legacy component from my first iteration of the compartment, and after further thought, I eliminated any blast door feature for now, until I can feasibly work out how it would work in this design of compartment. I think I might have some rough renders of the changes I made, and if they are still around, I'll post them to illustrate the changes I had in mind.
    production photos for the auctioned item
    Got a link? I've got some photos that were posted by DVersiga84 on Flickr, but wondering if you've got any additional ones.

Actually, I do!

http://www.racprops.com/trekmovies/wok/page2.php
    What is "SU"?
    What is "SU"?

Sorry, it's short for Sketchup.
    So I finally got around to finishing a side project of mine, the building of a proper bridge chair. Once again, I had scoured the net for decent drawings to work from, opting for yet another goldmine find, that of an auction site. Reading the description, the drawings can from the production department, drawn in June of 1978. Taking what I know of ergonomics and combing that with the design of the chair, this is what I can up with. I don't think this design had ever been used in the movies, but I could be wrong. In any case, I like how it turned out, and would hold a rightful place on the Patton's bridge...whenever I get around to finishing that! lol

Enjoy folks, and thank you again to all who have provided great feedback and thoughtful sentiment.

ojy1g407de1r.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777BrandenbergRory1707
    That looks great. I always did like that style of chair.
    shaved_ape
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Wow! These are very beautiful and inspiring! Great work
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2011 Central OhioPosts: 1,243Member
    That's a neat idea making the seat more ergonomic! I like it!
    shaved_ape
    That's a neat idea making the seat more ergonomic! I like it!

Hey thanks Ashley! Well I followed the plans as best I could (not the best resolution to work from), but I also took a little bit of liberty with the design to make the chair more functional. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having this chair at home while I work, since the one I have is a really cheap IKEA office chair! lol
    That chair is superb! I'm planning to tackle that one myself though, so I'm a little perturbed that you beat me to it. =) ;)
    That chair is superb! I'm planning to tackle that one myself though, so I'm a little perturbed that you beat me to it. =) ;)

Mine, more than likely, is not exact to what existed, but if you have better resources to put one together, I'd be curious to see how it turns out.