Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSome Trek ship imaginings

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
edited August 2020 in Work in Progress #1
Dunno about this, but had a weird idea for a Trek ship this morning and was sketching along, so I had to make a quick model in 3D...what do you guys think? Any promise? I flipped the nacelles around from 2 down to 2 up. Supposed to be sort of a Oberth/Constellation class. I'm also bothered that Star Trek barely has any fighters...i might make an updated star trek fighter, somethign after when the Maquis stole them.

latest: interiors3.jpg
j1zal85d5oi7.png
b7ltc3fyysx7.png
maesafk8cngq.png
vacdafros351.png
h0d7kyg0c544.png
Post edited by Guerrilla on
RekkertFreakP5ych0p4thevil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777scifieric
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Very unique, I love this!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Hmm ... I think, I prefer the version without the ring a little more. But either way a very interesting design. Looking forward to further iterations.

If you’re going with the ring: it’s a little inconsistent, that it goes through the nacelle on top but the nacelles on the bottom are on the ring.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    It a different take on a Trek ship.
    Has feeling of a mix design between the Vulcan ships seen in Enterprise and Earth Starfleet. I like it.

The one thing that bugged me about the Earth ships seen in Enterprise is that they looked to much like ships of the Federation. Before Enterprise came out I was always under the impression that the look of Federation ship came from the founding member putting the best of their technology together which gave us the look.
    The NX in Enterprise should have the design seen in TMP.
    publiusr
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    @Freak ... now that you‘re saying it, I can see the Vulcan influence.

Maybe it‘s from an alternate Timeline, where the Vulcans didn‘t refuse to share their technology with earth but instead helped them build ships capable of high warp right from the start.

Those might have looked like this 🤔😁
    japetus
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's definitely interesting. I agree that the version without the ring looks the best.
    scifieric
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Maybe lose the nacelles and beef up the ring like a Vulcan or early Earth drive unit?
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Thinking outside the box. Interesting designs that really show promise. I love the originality. :)
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    edited May 2020 #9
    Well
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    @Freak ... now that you‘re saying it, I can see the Vulcan influence.

Maybe it‘s from an alternate Timeline, where the Vulcans didn‘t refuse to share their technology with earth but instead helped them build ships capable of high warp right from the start.

Those might have looked like this 🤔😁

Yeah that's actually what I ended up thinking in the back of my mind...maybe a sign of the times...so I sorta ran with that idea of the Vulcans sharing technology and kinda imagining a Starfleet Skunk Works type of agency, making one-off ships trying out new things in the Excelsior era while messing with transwarp drive...
    ship2.jpg
    ship7.jpg
    ship6.jpg
    ship5.jpg
    ship4.jpg
    ship3.jpg
    Post edited by japetus on
    evil_genius_180FreakcommandersozoP5ych0p4throjrenashleytingersrspicerLizzy777RekkertWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 4 others.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Very practical & believable, heading the right direction! Always thought ring-ships had a lot of potential. B)
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Very nice concept.

Version 1: Enlarge the nacelles a tad, because they seem a bit small.
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    I can almost see this as also being the testbed prototype for the phaser 'strip' arrays that we start seeing in the Ambassador class, then TNG & beyond. Because the ring setup, in conjunction with how, post-TMP the phasers were directly linked to the warp drive, you could immediately shunt power from the drive to phasers. Meanwhile it also has 'normal' dual turret banks.

Sort of a 'two birds, one stone', type of prototype?
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    I could see this as a massive weapon platform.
    Up to 12 phaser array strips in the ring (forward, backward, outside) and forward and backward firing torpedo launchers in the ring connections.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I've always appreciated the "ring nacelle" configuration. It's probably what would be used with an Alcubierre type warp drive. This reminds me of the IXS Enterprise concept.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    I absolutely love the latest iteration, it's now part of the TMP era fleet in my head-canon.
    Also, I just noticed, if you remove the ring and the bottom support bellow the torpedo launcher, it looks a lot like a Sabre-Class hull. Perhaps a variant with conventional warp nacelles attached to the saucer edges was tested, and it gave the Corps of Engineers the idea of what would become the Sabre?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    The TMP warp tunnel effect is best here
    Thanks guys for the kind words on the concept, just getting back into the mood after lots of work and finishing up some other side projects. Those are some great ideas there, I like the idea of the phaser strip concept especially.
    Nice work. Really looking good.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    This design looks great.... she's going to look beautiful sweeping past the camera.... I'd love to see this design applied to later era ships as well...

the only thing i'd say is have you tried it with a more traditional deflector? I know you've probably chosen the triangular one to break from the norm.. and it looks great... i just wonder if it would compliment the ring? Just a thought... feel free to tell me to keep my thoughts to myself however :)
    The shot of the Voyager model looks really good to me.
    haha i was thinking more along the lines of designed overall with the ring in mind as opposed to just replacing the warp nacelles with a ring... but definitely interesting to see...
    edited July 2020 #23
    Well, the general idea is that earlier ship named Enterprise pictured on the rec deck in TMP that has a ring warp engine.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(XCV_330)

And, of course, they also used the ring warp engines for most of the Vulcan ships on Enterprise. That's why most people think of warp engines when someone puts rings on Star Trek ships.
    japetus wrote: »

Those are really cool. I admire anyone who can kitbash plastic models.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Would have been interesting if the nx01 was a ring ship... Would have really sold the this is trek before trek vibe they were going with...
    evil_genius_180
    markmassey wrote: »
    Would have been interesting if the nx01 was a ring ship... Would have really sold the this is trek before trek vibe they were going with...

Yeah, there were a lot of different ideas. I understand the FX crew wanted something more along the lines of the Daedalus class, but the producers insisted on using the Akira class as a starting point.
    yea i guess the akira silhouette is more identifiable as a star trek ship.... i guess they just chose the safer design.... i guess i've gone off and somehow created my own universe where instead of the twin nacelle design the phoenix had a ring drive.... and the first warp ships followed this design until they developed warp nacelles.....

I've hijacked you thread sorry japetus!!!! Its late time to go to bed i think :)
    japetus
    edited July 2020 #27
    Worked on it a bit...

rsr9nwtsmu3s.png

owlgun0c5tne.png

Post edited by japetus on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerRekkertLizzy777BrandenbergFreakrojren
    That looks really nice. :)
    Personally, I prefer the previous iterations of both the warp ring and the deflector dish. The cleaner lines of the ring without the extrusions at the top, bottom and sides look better IMO (and more similar to the Vulcan warp drives of Enterprise); while I felt like the trapezoidal deflector was a better fit for that portion of the hull, fitting nicely into the front of the 'keel'.

Still, I'm very much in love with your concept. :)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer the previous iterations of both the warp ring and the deflector dish. The cleaner lines of the ring without the extrusions at the top, bottom and sides look better IMO (and more similar to the Vulcan warp drives of Enterprise); while I felt like the trapezoidal deflector was a better fit for that portion of the hull, fitting nicely into the front of the 'keel'.

Still, I'm very much in love with your concept. :)

Yeah, was trying the top and bottom nacelle things again, I'll probably remove them. There was way too much glowing going on with the ring and deflector so I tried to tone it down. Going somewhere between original and enterprise-a all blue deflector.
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Not sure about the placement, but I do like the shape of the deflector. I think moving it down so you don't have to notch the saucer would help.