Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe "Starship" Enterprise

• Bigd524Bigd524406 ScotlandPosts: 178Member
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    Did you build your own mars or is it just a background picture? ... either way ... looking really really sweet. Can’t wait, to see this become a reality

Nah im not that good haha. Its just an image on a plane in blender. Thanks

Also taken another tangent... Dragon

5spa7p2sx5xs.png
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakMadKoiFishBrandenbergpubliusr
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    That is one good looking dragon. I’m still a little angry at nasa that they didn’t go with the version, that would land propulsively ... on the other hand ... that version wouldn’t have flown by now. I’m sure of it.
    That is one good looking dragon. I’m still a little angry at nasa that they didn’t go with the version, that would land propulsively ... on the other hand ... that version wouldn’t have flown by now. I’m sure of it.

Yeah that would have been awesome to see, but yeah it would have been a pain in the ass to human rate it. just need to wait and see Starship do it... now that will be something else.

Also did you catch the one that exploded?

@Bigd524 ... the Starship prototype or the dragon capsule? Well doesn’t matter. I saw both explosions 😁

But that‘s what they‘re built for. To find out, how far you can push them, before they rapidly and unscheduled disassemble 😁 ... NASA just recently popped an SLS during a pressure test.

And you see with Boeing what happens, when you only test all that stuff with computer models and not on an actual pad.

... by the way, I just recently did a pretty nice Mars with an atmosphere an some nice displacement. Let me know, if you want the blend file (it requires the 2.8.3. Beta though)
    @Bigd524 ... the Starship prototype or the dragon capsule? Well doesn’t matter. I saw both explosions 😁

But that‘s what they‘re built for. To find out, how far you can push them, before they rapidly and unscheduled disassemble 😁 ... NASA just recently popped an SLS during a pressure test.

And you see with Boeing what happens, when you only test all that stuff with computer models and not on an actual pad.

... by the way, I just recently did a pretty nice Mars with an atmosphere an some nice displacement. Let me know, if you want the blend file (it requires the 2.8.3. Beta though)

True but the plan was for this one to preform a hop... well it did kinda. =)

The SLS core that ruptured was planned i beleive? testing it to see how far it could go as it passed the needed pressure for flight.

That would be cool, not running the beta tho... gonna have a look into doing it myself, want to get back into as much as i can before going back to the grind. Will give you a shout tho.

Also you are better aquainted with blender than i, any idea why this would be happening when i duplicate an object?

c6leojzvv1d7.jpg

juufohtwy1v1.png

41c9t1ksayuu.jpg

P5ych0p4thLizzy777evil_genius_180Brandenberg
    Okay, I’ll post the file here, when my machine is done rendering.

What exactly happens after duplicating? The picture is a little dark but I see nothing really wrong with it on first glance 🤔
    Okay, I’ll post the file here, when my machine is done rendering.

What exactly happens after duplicating? The picture is a little dark but I see nothing really wrong with it on first glance 🤔

Nice.

On the first pic there are these streaks on the hull.

Just tried to replicate the problem and i think i answered it myself... may have something to do with the scale i had it. as the hull is pretty thin i think it was just causing an issue.
    P5ych0p4th
    edited June 2020 #99
    By the way: if you‘re doing a Martian Surface render, you can use some of the free rocks by quixel: https://quixel.com/megascans/free?category=3D asset

There‘s only two free assets but with a little creativity they should go a long way.
    Post edited by P5ych0p4th on
    By the way: if you‘re doing a Martian Surface render, you can use some of the free rocks by quixel: https://quixel.com/megascans/free?category=3D asset

There‘s only two free assets but with a little. Relativity they should go a long way.

Ohh will have to have a look at them, thanks.

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That Mars surface image looks great.
    Here's the Link to my Mars file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnWPwynynn-goYQyltfJXfg3hMY3bA?e=tSbBYn

As I've said, it uses the adaptive subdivision surface feature, so it only works in Blender 2.83 Beta and up. All the textures are inculded in the File, so it should Work.
    Bigd524
    That Mars surface image looks great.

Just took a nice quality image of mars and cut out the cliff edge thats in the foreground so i could use it to mask the fact that im lazy and didnt model a surface lol =)

Here's the Link to my Mars file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnWPwynynn-goYQyltfJXfg3hMY3bA?e=tSbBYn

As I've said, it uses the adaptive subdivision surface feature, so it only works in Blender 2.83 Beta and up. All the textures are inculded in the File, so it should Work.

Dude thats beautiful... only running 2.82a but it seems to be working, unless im missing something, but it looks great.

Will credit you if i end up using it for anything.

0wo0n4p4ozra.png

P5ych0p4thLizzy777evil_genius_180BrandenbergFreaksrspicer
    edited June 2020 #104
    I really like that capsule. :)
    Bigd524 wrote: »
    Just took a nice quality image of mars and cut out the cliff edge thats in the foreground so i could use it to mask the fact that im lazy and didnt model a surface lol =)

You say lazy, I say smart. CGI is all about trickery, using whatever means you can and what is necessary to get the job done and have that image or animation looking how you want it to look. I used to peruse the space shuttle image archives on NASA's website for Earth images to use as backgrounds, and I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen Earth images from there used in movies. So, it's not like professionals always make stuff like planets either. In fact, I was just watching the 2009 series of Star Trek movies recently and I saw one particular image of Earth from the NASA archives that gets used a lot. I've also seen it in Transformers movies and all kinds of Sci-Fi. It's a really nice image and a really popular one to use.

To be fair, I've tried doing planet surfaces before and it's a pill. (my hat's off to anyone who can do it right) You really need a decent terrain generator. And, to do an established planet like Mars, you'd need topographical maps of the surface to have a chance of it looking right.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    P5ych0p4thBigd524
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1661 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Bravo on the Space-Ex Dragon. :3
    Bigd524
    edited June 2020 #106
    I really like that capsule. :)

You say lazy, I say smart. CGI is all about trickery, using whatever means you can and what is necessary to get the job done and have that image or animation looking how you want it to look. I used to peruse the space shuttle image archives on NASA's website for Earth images to use as backgrounds, and I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen Earth images from there used in movies. So, it's not like professionals always make stuff like planets either. In fact, I was just watching the 2009 series of Star Trek movies recently and I saw one particular image of Earth from the NASA archives that gets used a lot. I've also seen it in Transformers movies and all kinds of Sci-Fi. It's a really nice image and a really popular one to use.

To be fair, I've tried doing planet surfaces before and it's a pill. (my hat's off to anyone who can do it right) You really need a decent terrain generator. And, to do an established planet like Mars, you'd need topographical maps of the surface to have a chance of it looking right.

Thanks. You ah got a link to that archive may come in handy.

The nasa website has a resourse of 3d models that are free to download, noticed they have some of the landing sites as .stl files... so i grabbed the landing site for 17 and used it for the moon renders haha... need to make it look more like the regolith tho as its was just grey with no boulders or rocks on the surface, need to look ito it.
    Bravo on the Space-Ex Dragon. :3

Thanks, suprised myself on how well it turned out. considering this was my first attempt lol. Getting back into the groove i think.

9sjfrrswilex.png

Post edited by Bigd524 on
    FreakLizzy777scifieric
    That looks really sweet.

For NASA Earth images, check here:

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/images/index.html

They used to have an archive of stuff from the space shuttle missions, but this was many years and a few website revisions ago.
    Bigd524scifieric
    That looks really sweet.

For NASA Earth images, check here:

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/images/index.html

They used to have an archive of stuff from the space shuttle missions, but this was many years and a few website revisions ago.

mmmm... high res. Thanks.

nlcvnkr0zhp6.gif

Also made the Dynetics lander concept.

er9b3rthkaia.png

evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakLizzy777P5ych0p4thpubliusr
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice Lander and the Dragon looks sweet!
    Bigd524
    evil_genius_180P5ych0p4thLizzy777Freaksrspicer
    Was offered a model exchange with Brickmack... so i asked for his model of the IDA (docking adapter). Want to model it for myself and maybe have a go at making it semi functional in inventor (may drive me insane tho). But for now i couldnt wait to see how it looked on her. Its an awesome model of it.

Also here is where i started to where im at with it now... not bad considering my first attempt lol =)
    P5ych0p4thashleytingerLizzy777Freakpubliusr
    It does look pretty sweet 👌
    Bigd524
    It’s weird, that - as a launch system - it’s actually not that much bigger than the Shuttle, if you imagine the Shuttle being stacked on top of it’s tank and the SRBs ... yet it’s a lot more powerful and versatile. 🤔
    Bigd524
    It’s weird, that - as a launch system - it’s actually not that much bigger than the Shuttle, if you imagine the Shuttle being stacked on top of it’s tank and the SRBs ... yet it’s a lot more powerful and versatile. 🤔

It's not really that big of a surprise. Think of how much onboard space you can save just with things like smaller computers. Add in any other equipment you can make smaller that can perform essentially the same functions, if not more. Modern technology for the win. :)
    P5ych0p4thBigd524Lizzy777
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member

You only live twice...
    Bigd524
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    publiusr wrote: »

You only live twice...

I was thinking the same thing. LOL
    Is Elon setting himself up to be the world first super Villain? Someone Call Bond!
    Bigd524
    edited June 2020 #119

It could literaly lauch the shuttle and its paylaod... and you still have a starship in orbit.

Post edited by Bigd524 on
    evil_genius_180

Expedition Galileo. Starships Ganymede & Europa arrive at Saturn to explore its rings and moons.

5cm2im2suy4g.jpg

evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak
    Working on Falcon9 a little bit.

98vofjuydlzs.png
    ftbro18mpesi.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freak